• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA/IMVU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accountability

Enthusiastic Downloader
Anyone who's clamoring to restore ownership of FA to the community: you're delusional. It's not going to happen. There will be no lawsuit. There will be no movie-style ending where the community wins out over the Big Corportation.

Go support a different site. Go find one of the numerous people who want to build a new site and support them. Fighting this is wasted effort. IMVU isn't going away.

NoahGryphon

Random pouncing
Anyone who's clamoring to restore ownership of FA to the community: you're delusional. It's not going to happen. There will be no lawsuit. There will be no movie-style ending where the community wins out over the Big Corportation.

Go support a different site. Go find one of the numerous people who want to build a new site and support them. Fighting this is wasted effort. IMVU isn't going away.

i wouldent mind if the stupid paranoid ones left -_- people are over-reacting about this whole thing. dragoneer is still in control which means we will be oki.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
i wouldent mind if the stupid paranoid ones left -_- people are over-reacting about this whole thing. dragoneer is still in control which means we will be oki.
just the whole thing is that he has a boss
whom is all about profits whom also gotta calm down HIS community due to folks over there are realizing "oh shit, we fucked up...those furries over there are getting us banned for posting their art and selling it"
I understand its the userbase but IMVU could see it as this...
"Those users who got perma banned can make a new account...they just gotta pay for it all...again, and maybe they'll fuck up...again and get perma banned...again." :V

krystalfox77

Offcial Krystal
Really classy there https://twitter.com/Dragoneer/status/580127860213436418 He tells people that they shouldn't have their comments removed yet, http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/6606934 I see several comments that have been censored. I didn't know George Orwell and his 1984 Orwellian society were a part of FA. Censorship = the path of pussies who don't want to deal with real life concerns.

Quote from the journal posted
SITE NEWS/POSTING RULES
1) Keep posts civil, constructive and polite
2) Keep discussion on topic to the post at hand.
3) Treat your fellow posters with respect.

You asked and IMVU’s CEO has answered. We've collected and took your questions to Brett Durrett - IMVU’s CEO. He has not only reviewed these representative questions but also the discussions that have been taking place on FA regarding the acquisition. We've taken some questions from responses to our recent journals.

Here are his responses... in his own words.

Why the Acquisition?

IMVU is a 10 year old community built entirely by customers for customers; it is sustained by creative individuals finding like-minded people online, who accept and encourage their creative, expressive sides, anonymously. At a high level, while the art form is entirely different, the guiding principles - inclusiveness, celebrating creativity, embracing diversity - are the overarching umbrella that unites the two distinct communities.

IMVU is not today, and will not be tomorrow, an exclusively furry community. Furries are one of the many, many, many diverse audiences that meet on IMVU, to socialize and find others that understand them and share their same interests.

During discussions with Dragoneer we found FA had huge potential, a passionate community, and a dedicated leader, but was struggling with financial and resource challenges. Dragoneer has the vision but was not able to devote his full attention to the site. We realized that working together we could help FA get the support it needs to make improvements. When talking to Dragoneer about the possibility of an acquisition, every one of his requirements were based on wanting to make sure the end result was right for the FA community… this is when I was convinced that FA will have an amazing future.

IMVU is making a commitment of money and resources to FA that far exceeds what FA was able to achieve on its own. I believe FA will grow to being a self-supporting community if it has the focus, people and resources to make customer experience improvements. With IMVU’s support and keeping a hands-off approach to how FA is operated, I’m looking forward to a rewarding outcome for everybody, most of all FA’s community.

One of the most asked questions: "Why IMVU?" which ties well into a question asked by user Sketh, "How is IMVU even remotely relevant to FA? An online 3d avatar chat system acquiring a furry art gallery...?"

FA is a community of creative people sharing their artwork. IMVU is also a community of creative people sharing their artwork - 3D models and fashion creations. While FA is dedicated to the furry audience, IMVU welcomes and celebrates many, many diverse audiences, furries being a significant one of them.

"And what does it meant for us furries?" asked by DirtyPaws

Other than FA having a lot more resources 100% dedicated to improving the site, it shouldn’t mean anything different than before the acquisition. You will see advertising, but FA is being run by Dragoneer, not by IMVU. Oh, and FA won’t need community donations to survive, so no more pledge drives. :)

"What does IMVU get out of this?" asked by Michichael

We think that by supporting FA they can build a better experience and bigger community and make something more valuable for IMVU, FA and the furry community in general.

"What will IMVU do with FA?" asked by Roycefox

That’s a better question for Dragoneer. We really believe that FA knows what is best for the FA community, so we have committed support both financially and through other resources. We want to let it run independently and see it thrive.

A LOT of users seemed concerned that the ads coming will be trying to auto-install spyware/malware

The ads being delivered come from a top advertising provider for websites (Google ad network) and are screened thoroughly as part of their review process to ensure no spyware/malware is included.

Among the other general questions:

"Does IMVU plan on changing FA?"

IMVU plans on supporting FA changing the site to make improvements, but FA is run independently, so changes will be determined by Dragoneer and team.

"What is IMVU doing to help furry artists who have had their work stolen?" and "What's the best process to protect my art?"

Stolen content is bad for everybody in the community, from the author that sees their hard work being exploited to the community that misses the opportunity to connect with the author, explore their other works and even make a new friendship. IMVU wants to ensure that people only share content they have the rights to share. If stolen content is posted on the FA site, the process is likely to stay the same. If stolen art is posted on IMVU, the legal owner of the art can file a DMCA Takedown notice.

SITE NEWS/POSTING RULES
1) Keep posts civil, constructive and polite
2) Keep discussion on topic to the post at hand.
3) Treat your fellow posters with respect.

Cool, so like, nothing will change, the same bullshit as usual and even more people are pissed off. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
Exclusive photograph of IMVU CEO:

PastryOfApathy

Yes but if I left, I couldn't bask in this beautiful trainwreck.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Neer: im messaging people who have had their art stolen
me: the vast majority of people whose art is stolen are very popular, like stripe, falvie, blotch, etc
faf: this is bullshit, why is neer only helping popufurs

Littlerock

numb with cold

just the whole thing is that he has a boss
whom is all about profits whom also gotta calm down HIS community...

Phew, that's good news to hear! For a second there, I thought our beloved Neer's life was in danger.

... i hate is when anyone has power where they shouldent. so if dragoneer really was the leader id assassinate him :3

What a relief.

On a more serious note, I absolutely cannot comprehend how people still trust Neer. This whole ordeal is hillarious. I am shaking with combined fury and humor. There are no words for how asinine his behavior has been, and it's not like this has been the first time he's pulled a stunt like this, good god.

Appalling.

FYIAD

I can’t give things a whirl here and participate elsewhere? This isn’t some gang war where entrance into one somehow bans my fellowship or participation in another.

Look, it’s a long shot; I’m not running around saying all the world will be well even if things do pan out a way I’d like. Maybe something happens tomorrow, maybe its years from now, maybe never; but I’ll have to beg your pardon if I don’t just quit at the first sign of adversity, however large it may have been. And if you go looking back, I’ve been the one tamping down expectations about lawsuits; I’ve more faith that I’ll hit a Mega Millions jackpot because than Arcturus pulling out a victory, and any suit involving copyright issues isn’t going to have a snowball’s chance of winning anything, much less fixing anything relating to FA’s ownership.

My failure should be entertaining to those just waiting for things to go up in flames; and I’m loathe to leave you all unentertained. :p

Wouldn’t be the first time I failed in an endeavor, probably wouldn’t be the last, either; I’m alright with that. I’m just tired of sitting on the sidelines, biting my tongue, watching things go down and doing shit all about it.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Just a reminder: you can be critical of neer and his actions without wanting the dude to be thrown into a fiery pit of hell
There is no life without criticism and neer is adult and has been around long enough to handle criticism that he receives.
if you would blindly like to defend or praise neer as an attempt to disrupt what were doing here, please do it elsewhere. Opinions will not be changed and wed rather get shit done instead of argue about how gorgeous and perfect dragoneers ripped biceps and long flowing hair is. We get that is beautiful but we can discuss this later once things sre done

FYIAD

Just a reminder: you can be critical of neer and his actions without wanting the dude to be thrown into a fiery pit of hell
There is no life without criticism and neer is adult and has been around long enough to handle criticism that he receives.
if you would blindly like to defend or praise neer as an attempt to disrupt what were doing here, please do it elsewhere. Opinions will not be changed and wed rather get shit done instead of argue about how gorgeous and perfect dragoneers ripped biceps and long flowing hair is. We get that is beautiful but we can discuss this later once things sre done

Man, I just wrote something about that stuff, though; especially the part where I went on raving about that hair. FML.

If I'm forgoing that, I've got to ask: what progress are you looking to talk about?

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Things have calmed down not due to Neer but mostly due to the community once again taking it upon themselves to get things done.

When people steal art they tend to get the more popular ones done by popular artist. So yes the popular artist are getting help...its mostly their art on there.
While it may be unfair for those that are less popular but still have their stuff there we can ar least assist those that do want to remove the art as some have shown no care that their art is there.

PheagleAdler

me: the vast majority of people whose art is stolen are very popular, like stripe, falvie, blotch, etc

That's just common sense, isn't it?

FYIAD

That's just common sense, isn't it?

It is and I understand it; I’m not even really upset about it, but I can see why other artists would be. It’s like saying that there are tiers of artists, and only the elite get the number to Dragoneer’s takedown hot line; and that is going to make a lot of people very sore seeing as it leaves them dealing with legal forms and long waits.

I mean, I’d be irate if the unspoken reason I didn’t get help was, “Oh, damn! FYIAD you nearly made it onto the Give a Damn list! If only you drew bushier tails we could have helped you! Tough break, bud; if you go looking, you’ll find a link to the DMCA form – and don’t forget, you have to have access to the AP section if you want to take down those works! Good luck, pal!”

The other people who are upset are likely taking issue because its ‘Neer. I mean, is he being helpful just to curry favor? Is he trying to get more free art and kissing ass to that end? It’s a problem relating more to trust and optics than the action itself.

The real question I have, though, is how long is Dragoneer going to keep up bothering? It seems to me this is going to be an endless pursuit with new infringers coming back in just as the next batch get banned.
Or the stuff that can't be identified as popular artists is being discredited because nobody knows who owns it.

That’s a case for e621, where the tagging system is used all the time. It’s my go-to place if I know what I’m looking for but can’t recall who did it or don’t want to go digging through years of art just to find it.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Or the stuff that can't be identified as popular artists is being discredited because nobody knows who owns it.

Which is why we need more people looking.
I'm searching for random tags that match the pictures on e621 and I'm finding some that way.
You can either help or you can complain. I'd rather have you help though.

The real question I have, though, is how long is Dragoneer going to keep up bothering? It seems to me this is going to be an endless pursuit with new infringers coming back in just as the next batch get banned.

This is a question I have as well. The journal with IMVU CEO said "file a DMCA", and I take this to mean "eventually you'll have to" because in the meantime, you can contact Dragoneer if you know your art is stolen.

FYIAD

Which is why we need more people looking.
I'm searching for random tags that match the pictures on e621 and I'm finding some that way.
You can either help or you can complain. I'd rather have you help though.

This is a question I have as well. The journal with IMVU CEO said "file a DMCA", and I take this to mean "eventually you'll have to" because in the meantime, you can contact Dragoneer if you know your art is stolen.

I've got to call it a night, but I can see about kicking in some help tomorrow. Is there a coordinated effort going on somewhere or this being done in an unorganized, ad hoc kind of way? I haven't kept up with developments on that front, I'm afraid. >.o

-Sliqq-

Silo
It is and I understand it; I’m not even really upset about it, but I can see why other artists would be. It’s like saying that there are tiers of artists, and only the elite get the number to Dragoneer’s takedown hot line; and that is going to make a lot of people very sore seeing as it leaves them dealing with legal forms and long waits.

A popular person can have some sort of control over the users, more so than 'Neer. If you piss off a popular person, you're not going to be popular yourself. Hell, a FA riot might start.

-Note-
I'm not supporting his actions, nor am I against it. I wish to find a balance here, where both sides can be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.