• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA/IMVU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volkodav

Dad****er
I've only been hanging out on here and Weasyl. I've just been posting shit here as I assume that's where Neer's getting his art sources.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Which is why we need more people looking.
I'm searching for random tags that match the pictures on e621 and I'm finding some that way.
You can either help or you can complain. I'd rather have you help though.

This is a question I have as well. The journal with IMVU CEO said "file a DMCA", and I take this to mean "eventually you'll have to" because in the meantime, you can contact Dragoneer if you know your art is stolen.
Leaves me to wish to help but im permabanned from imvu years ago (its why im on SL now) if you need much more clear links to images or better images to use, ill see if any of me mates still have their accounts on that site. Im sure at least 4 of us would like to cause problems for IMVU again for the greater good.

FYIAD

A popular person can have some sort of control over the users, more so than 'Neer. If you piss off a popular person, you're not going to be popular yourself. Hell, a FA riot might start.

-Note-
I'm not supporting his actions, nor am I against it. I wish to find a balance here, where both sides can be happy.

Yes, well, I'm not in it to win a popularity contest; and I've still got the benefit of pseudonymity even if that were a concern. :p My affinity is for obscurity, not publicity or adoration.

I just thought it worth commenting on; I appreciate what Dragoneer is doing, even if it can be seen as a judgmental sleight or an attempt to gain the support and affection of top tier artists. (Mind you, thing being where the biggest artists make home* plays a role in keeping FA dominant, so I suppose even that could look self-serving. This is the problem when everyone is upset with you, just about any action you take is going to have at least a quarter of the crowd up in arms. At this point, any improvement is welcome.)

*Home as in their primary presence on one of the three major hubs: FA, Weasyl, and InkBunny.

-Sliqq-

Silo
Im sure at least 4 of us would like to cause problems for IMVU again for the greater good.

Sorry to be so sharp about this, but who is it helping?

-Edit-

Yes, well, I'm not in it to win a popularity contest; and I've still got the benefit of pseudonymity even if that were a concern. :p My affinity is for obscurity, not publicity or adoration.

I don't think anybody is, man. We have to figure out whether or not the 1% us greater than the 99%. This needs to be addressed as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Sorry to be so sharp about this, but who is it helping?
There will be artist who may not be getting the neer grade help, so its better to assist those by not only confirming that their image is there but also provide the template to take down the images.
Just my group tend to prefer helping thru chaos. I would rather see from folks getting banned for selling stuff that isnt theirs to make IMVU realize their system is full of bunk and need to be fixed finally.

Or they don't and reap the reward of folks needing to make a new account and then pay again for AP and VIP...

Volkodav

Dad****er
Well it seems they're already getting banned for it, so all we need to do is provide the ammo for DMCAs and let artists take it from there.

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
-who want their money

Should they not want to be stolen from? What are you trying to say here? Because it sounds like you're trying to argue against people wanting action because they don't want to be taken advantage of. I understand you're 16, but you can't be that dense.

As I understand it, IMVU's munny or whatever-the-fuck-currency-it-is is based on actual monetary transactions. So they may be paying in Dollarz, but it's still actual money. And if it was some BS reposting crap, that's one thing. But charging for someone else's work, they're well within their rights to be angry about it. The people reposting/ selling are benefiting from it in a way the gub'ment understands- actual transactions.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Should they not want to be stolen from? What are you trying to say here? Because it sounds like you're trying to argue against people wanting action because they don't want to be taken advantage of. I understand you're 16, but you can't be that dense.

As I understand it, IMVU's munny or whatever-the-fuck-currency-it-is is based on actual monetary transactions. So they may be paying in Dollarz, but it's still actual money. And if it was some BS reposting crap, that's one thing. But charging for someone else's work, they're well within their rights to be angry about it. The people reposting/ selling are benefiting from it in a way the gub'ment understands- actual transactions.
not to mention many IMVU users pointed out you can convert it back...

-Sliqq-

Silo

It's like you're trying to tell me things I already know. I already understand the issue. Hell, if I posted video on Youtube, I'd be furious if someone else tried to take credit for the things I did. You can interpret that quote any way you like, but it doesn't change the fact that people want what they believe is theirs(and is rightfully so).

But let's try to understand that the situation just seemed to have boiled down to not only the morality of stealing, but also the money that artists are losing.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
It's like you're trying to tell me things I already know. I already understand the issue. Hell, if I posted video on Youtube, I'd be furious if someone else tried to take credit for the things I did. You can interpret that quote any way you like, but it doesn't change the fact that people want what they believe is theirs(and is rightfully so).

But let's try to understand that the situation just seemed to have boiled down to not only the morality of stealing, but also the money that artists are losing.
Its more on the money that is being gained off of them...no loss here unless its the people getting their accounts banned on IMVU..thats hundreds of bucks

Volkodav

Dad****er

That's what it's been about from the start. Artists are being stolen from and users are making money off of it.
If FA users leave in a mass-exodus because of the stolen art, artists will lose out on commissioners and a source of income.

NoahGryphon

Random pouncing
A theory i thought up is that IMVU is working on a new project/game only about furs. like it will be built from the ground up to so that users can make thier fursona down to the last detail, with muzzles that actually look good and stuff.

Featherwing15

A theory i thought up is that IMVU is working on a new project/game only about furs. like it will be built from the ground up to so that users can make thier fursona down to the last detail, with muzzles that actually look good and stuff.

I wouldn't bank on that theory though... And even if they were, with what's going on now, I doubt many of us would give IMVU the benefit of a doubt for it.

PheagleAdler

Wish I used SL more, of course I still prefer it over IMVU

Silvershock

I've got to call it a night, but I can see about kicking in some help tomorrow. Is there a coordinated effort going on somewhere or this being done in an unorganized, ad hoc kind of way? I haven't kept up with developments on that front, I'm afraid. >.o

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to do it programmatically. Basic image comparison to the point of reasonable recognition is fairly easy these days, but you'd have to have a base of images to be searching against, so it'd have to be a per-artist tool that they ran themselves.

Volkodav

Dad****er
The issue that I've found with the IMVU catalog is that sometimes you can't view the full image, so you have to try and guess based on a 100x100 icon. Maybe the image would show up underneath the description if I enabled IMVU on NoScript but I just don't feel it's worth the risk of doing so.
Images like this:
http://i.imgur.com/UxA4bYt.png
Were found by going onto e621 and searching "lesbian giraffe" and going through the numerous pages until I found the correct one. On pages where there were no direct links to the original image, I had to go and find the artist on FA and go through their gallery.

http://i.imgur.com/hGDlMSC.png
"ringtail cat + female + nude"

http://i.imgur.com/eAueduA.png
"bluejay + female"

I can't imagine there's an easier way to do this, which is why we need more people actively working on it. It's a lot of work, yes, but I don't think there's any other way to do it -- image comparison programs probably wouldn't be able to pick up an image that small.

Fawk

I don't like people
I noticed some misinformation a while back about "fursuits" on IMVU.

They are not exactly like fursuits in real life. What you were referring to are called "furkinis"

Which is a clothing item that can be worn with a particular skin to give the appearance of being naked without having the Access Pass (the thing you buy to get adult content)

Because it gives the naked appearance, it was AP content for a while. The furry community of IMVU fought this because we do not feel a furry without clothes is naked because they have fur. In the end, the furries won.

So it wasn't like IMVU was like "are furries adult content?" as much as they were like "does this count as nudity?"

Here is a pic showing an avatar wearing a bikini vs wearing a furkini. Not the best pictures since I am very tired and threw this together really fast.
http://oi61.tinypic.com/2ec21d1.jpg

Volkodav

Dad****er
That just looks like a furry with no nipples to me, lol. Perhaps I'm biased because I'm a furry, though.

(I like your fursona btw, it's very cute)

Fawk

I don't like people
The issue that I've found with the IMVU catalog is that sometimes you can't view the full image, so you have to try and guess based on a 100x100 icon. Maybe the image would show up underneath the description if I enabled IMVU on NoScript but I just don't feel it's worth the risk of doing so.
Images like this:
http://i.imgur.com/UxA4bYt.png
Were found by going onto e621 and searching "lesbian giraffe" and going through the numerous pages until I found the correct one. On pages where there were no direct links to the original image, I had to go and find the artist on FA and go through their gallery.

http://i.imgur.com/hGDlMSC.png
"ringtail cat + female + nude"

http://i.imgur.com/eAueduA.png
"bluejay + female"

I can't imagine there's an easier way to do this, which is why we need more people actively working on it. It's a lot of work, yes, but I don't think there's any other way to do it -- image comparison programs probably wouldn't be able to pick up an image that small.

Yes, the 100x80 icons are not very easy to go by.
Which is why I started this:
http://imgur.com/a/uzY2r

These are screencaps of the products in the client with the PID number written on the image so that the appropriate people have what they need to DMCA.

It takes longer to do than just screenshotting the whole page, but it gives a better idea of what it is, plus not all products have icons.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Yes, the 100x80 icons are not very easy to go by.
Which is why I started this:
http://imgur.com/a/uzY2r

These are screencaps of the products in the client with the PID number written on the image so that the appropriate people have what they need to DMCA.

It takes longer to do than just screenshotting the whole page, but it gives a better idea of what it is, plus not all products have icons.

That's AWESOME!!! Thank you!
(I've been looking for that third image for a while but just couldn't find it)

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
I noticed some misinformation a while back about "fursuits" on IMVU.

They are not exactly like fursuits in real life. What you were referring to are called "furkinis"

Which is a clothing item that can be worn with a particular skin to give the appearance of being naked without having the Access Pass (the thing you buy to get adult content)

Because it gives the naked appearance, it was AP content for a while. The furry community of IMVU fought this because we do not feel a furry without clothes is naked because they have fur. In the end, the furries won.

So it wasn't like IMVU was like "are furries adult content?" as much as they were like "does this count as nudity?"

Here is a pic showing an avatar wearing a bikini vs wearing a furkini. Not the best pictures since I am very tired and threw this together really fast.
http://oi61.tinypic.com/2ec21d1.jpg

....but...they are naked....
Just the real difference is: is nipples and genetalia is showing. Which is not...

Fawk

I don't like people
I want to help do my part in cleaning up the art theft on IMVU. I have always regularly checked new furs to see if I recognized a character and reported to the owner if I did. Now I am going to try and put some extra effort into wall hangings, hopefully with some help identifying artists.

And, if anyone is willing to give IMVU a try, I am more than willing to help people learn the ropes. There are furry heads that will give you muzzles (I don't know why IMVU doesn't include those in their ads, oh how I wish I could be in charge of what outfits are shown in ads, believe me lol). There are also digigrade legs for those who like to look a little more animalistic.

Furry avatars on IMVU may look a little different than those on SL but they aren't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.