• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Connection Issues: FA Outage?

PheagleAdler

Weasyl does seem to be holding up pretty well. Maybe FA should consider CloudFlare protection in the future?

I concur, what kind of work would it take for FA to switch to CloudFlare? I don't know what kind of help InfoRelay may or may not be providing, but if they don't give a damn, it might be time to switch to something a little more stable.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
Don't jump to Cloudflare just yet -- Weasyl's gone.

Don't seem to be~

I concur, what kind of work would it take for FA to switch to CloudFlare? I don't know what kind of help InfoRelay may or may not be providing, but if they don't give a damn, it might be time to switch to something a little more stable.

That'd probably cost more money.
And FA kinda comes off to me as the Walmart of all the furry sites. Lowest bidder for a lot of everything to keep costs low (for the site).

Last edited:

Inpw

Roller Coaster Imagineer.
Sees chrome switched off ssl 3 in a patch on the 14th Oct. Firefox will only do it 25 Nov.

Can't be relevant but still a heads up. This new Poodle can actually access encrypted data, 1b for every 256 requests.

I still don't see a botnet distributed widely enough to bring down so many services. These sites are actually huge with big stress support. Taking it all down at once is scary IMO.

Kragith Zedrok

Black and Red All Day Long
Sees chrome switched off ssl 3 in a patch on the 14th Oct. Firefox will only do it 25 Nov.

Can't be relevant but still a heads up. This new Poodle can actually access encrypted data, 1b for every 256 requests.

I still don't see a botnet distributed widely enough to bring down so many services. These sites are actually huge with big stress support. Taking it all down at once is scary IMO.

Most large sites are popping in and out nw. Walmart and person is back for now. Norton is still down and out. I'm not sure what the reasons behind these attacks are but sooner or later the gov't will get involved if this becomes any larger. But it is the gov't so who the hell knows what efforts they will put in lol.

nrr

CloudFlare won't do you much good if your origin tier is gone, as it is in this case. Furthermore, those services generally assume that your visitors don't have any knowledge of your network or your numbering. Last I checked, FA's is pretty openly documented given the forensics experience of a few of us. That may have changed, but I doubt it. (Anyone from FA care to weigh in on this?)

Having a botnet bring down cnn.com? Not likely, since we run out of multiple datacenters and have disaster recovery plans for these things like any site should if it bills itself as "the most trusted name in news."

Having a botnet bring down weasyl.com, furaffinity.net, et al? Not at all out of the question since these folks all don't have the budget for the kind of geographic redundancy, for one, that would help mitigate some of this. They also don't tend to have the budget for a fat enough pipe or a deep enough bandwidth allotment to mitigate it through brute force in one location.

Alpha_Wolph

Moved to another account
Alright, it looks like the DDoS'ers got bored with us. I haven't checked other furry sites, but thank god, I can get on FAF again...

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned

Ieono

Uberaffe
It's silly that things like this have to happen, but that's humanity for ya. Oh well, I am just glad that things are up and running again, so far.

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned
Odd. Cause I can post anything, pics or journals, and I cant clear away anything. Everytime I do try to, I keep getting a 'connection is reset' message in firefox :\
From what i've gathered FA and Firefox don't play well together, i'm currently using Chrome and it seems fine.

PheagleAdler

kayfox

For the record, the SSL v3 thing was nothing to do with the DDoS attacks - we just happened to fix it earlier that day.

The SSL3 thing was two known issues with SSL3. The only thing new is some people got fed up and wrote an exploit and marketed the shit out of it.

Edit: Also, darnit, it was supposed to be under embargo until the 21st, f***ers.