• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Project: UI Overhaul

kjorteo

I have fuzz.
Could you please fix the View Image exploit while you're at it? Because something tells me that they are never, ever going to do it. Hell, they moved that thread into the "Closed Problems" forum without actually...you know...closing the problem. What the hell, guys. :(

Edit: Hmm, that's strange. Remote linking actually is disabled (which I guess is why they moved it to the closed problems pile,) but direct copy/pasting the URL into the address bar still works fine.

robomilk

fruit bat at large
kjorteo said:
Edit: Hmm, that's strange. Remote linking actually is disabled (which I guess is why they moved it to the closed problems pile,) but direct copy/pasting the URL into the address bar still works fine.

As far as I know you can't stop someone copy/pasting a link to get to it. Not easily anyway. I'm sure there's a way with .htaccess where you can allow only FA to have access to the files (to display them) though and completely remove remote linking/access.

Espera

Azul said:
One feature that may help: Search option! I feel bad about the fact that I don't know why it was removed in the first place. And

I pray that helps.

I agree wholeheartedly. We need to bring back a real search option. The Browse option is nice, but it's limited. Full searchability will help FA users find exactly the content they're looking for.
I liked some of the other suggestions, too, like the listing of who favorited what.
Otherwise, I think the site works pretty nicely.

Ashkihyena

Back off man, I'm a scientist
Okay, so obviously, the thread I posted in was locked, because they can't stand the truth. We need a filtering system and search engine. Though yeah, as lolcox said, its like talking to a brick wall.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Ashkihyena said:
Okay, so obviously, the thread I posted in was locked, because they can't stand the truth. We need a filtering system and search engine. Though yeah, as lolcox said, its like talking to a brick wall.
A filtering system is not something we can snap fingers and make happen. We do not have the resources, full time coders or much at our disposal. It's not easy to make things like this happen.'

I'm sorry if you feel talking to us is like "talking to a brick wall" but we can only get so much done. We've got an outline and plan to get things working and we're sticking to that, but we're keeping quiet on it UNTIL it's ready for mass consumption.

lolcox

I'm kind of yell-y. Sorry.
Ashkihyena said:
Okay, so obviously, the thread I posted in was locked, because they can't stand the truth.  We need a filtering system and search engine.  Though yeah, as lolcox said, its like talking to a brick wall.

Hey, kid, don't quote or paraphrase me when you want to talk out yer neck.

As an aside, do you realize just how much work a search engine can be when it needs to be done right?

Just a bit of math for you:
There is an estimated 600'000 entries on FurAffinity.
The vast majority are images.
The rest is a low octane blend of stories (in FOUR formats: .txt, .rdf, .pdf, .doc), flash animations, and music.
There are also journals that could be indexed along with the other 600k items.

I suggest the following:
"Stop yer bitchin', shut up, and wait."

It might help. :)

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Changing the ( c ) to an actual copyright symbol sucks. Some of us write things like that on purpose. Don't feed the ignorance. Teach them to use the right thing or spell out copyright. Either works. The filter is on FA's main site and here :/

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Need a logon prompt whenever in guest mode.

Ashkihyena

Back off man, I'm a scientist
lolcox said:
Ashkihyena said:

Hey, kid, don't quote or paraphrase me when you want to talk out yer neck.

As an aside, do you realize just how much work a search engine can be when it needs to be done right?

Just a bit of math for you:
There is an estimated 600'000 entries on FurAffinity.
The vast majority are images.
The rest is a low octane blend of stories (in FOUR formats: .txt, .rdf, .pdf, .doc), flash animations, and music.
There are also journals that could be indexed along with the other 600k items.

I suggest the following:
"Stop yer bitchin', shut up, and wait."

It might help. :)

I still stand by what I said, its like talking to a brick wall, and somehow or another, FA will never have a search engine or browse filters.

Oh, and btw, I have been waiting, I've been waiting ever since this site was started, and quite frankly, I'm getting sick of it.

Rhainor

Rawr.
ArrowTibbs said:
Right now the current layout tends to stretch off my screen. Maybe something like this would work better?

I like.

I'm gonna add to that a suggestion that when you're looking at a submission, the "Nav Links" box, donation banner, and whatever else happens to be there at the time (right now it's the poster for FA:U) should be moved somewhere else. I dislike having a big bar of unused space over on the left. IMHO, the submission area and comments should be against the left margin, and that margin should be no more than half an inch wide.

As it is, most of the time I have to scroll right in order to see an entire image, and in probably half of those cases, horizontal scrolling would be unnecessary if the submission wasn't being pushed over by the Nav Links box and whatnot.

Sorry if this was previously discussed (and I have been known to overlook things as much as anyfur else does. ) but I have some furry art on the walls of my room by various artists that I would love to show at FA in my favorites folder, only problem is, is I can't figure out a way to have that image go from the files on my computer to the Favorites folder( with proper credit given), and not in the I-made-this-myself-and-submitted-it folder.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
Calhanthirs said:
Sorry if this was previously discussed (and I have been known to overlook things as much as anyfur else does. ) but I have some furry art on the walls of my room by various artists that I would love to show at FA in my favorites folder, only problem is, is I can't figure out a way to have that image go from the files on my computer to the Favorites folder( with proper credit given), and not in the I-made-this-myself-and-submitted-it folder.

The only way to get those images onto FA & into your +fav's, is to either have the artists (assuming they already have an account here or they get one) to submit it themselves and then you can +fav it here.

It's impossible for an image to go straight into +fav's without being submitted as a submission first.

It is perfectly acceptable for you to post furry art you have commissioned or purchased here, provided the proper credit is given and permission is obtained. You could always put it into scraps if you don't want it to show up in your main gallery.

In the future, something on the cards for the Ferrox upgrade is to have a special upload category for commisions/giftart etc. :)

foxystallion

Born Furry
Preyfar said:
somberfox said:
I'd like to be able to choose which favorite is displayed on your user page. (sort of like the featured submission thing)
I'm sure that can be arrangred. What if it were something like an "All time favorite" and then your regular favs, too?

I'd really like and use that!!!

foxystallion

Born Furry
Growly said:
Regarding the whole thing about "users uploading pics they've gotten as commissions or gifts." I think they should probably keeps this as a not allowed policy. Because half the people who would probably use this would end up double posting the same image, and the majority of people probably wouldn't use the feature anyway and just end up submitting it as regular art.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I do not like my artwork being reposted by somebody else, even with credit- they can just fav the one I submit and show that link to their friends.

Now, if there were custom Favs folders, what they could do is make a folder titled "Commissions I've Bought" and all the commissioned art they could fav and keep in one tidy folder.

That I would be more than okay with.

I very much like the idea for a folder for commissioned and gift art. I would also like two fave total counters - one for my art, and one for commissioned and gift art. Some flexability would be needed here for art that is both, such as a collaboration. However, this may require a substantial back end change.

If this isn't feasable, the issue should be left up to the artist, not universally prohibited. If the artist gives his or her permission to post the commissioned or gift art in the commissioner's or reciepient's gallery, that should be allowed. Forbidding such posting would discourage commissioning art, at least to some extent. Do you really believe that any of Michangelo's or DaVinci's art would ever have been commissioned if it could have been displayed only in the artist's own studio? Finally, an artist may want the benefit of a wider exposure to his or her works. The list of those who watch Wovstah is not identical to the list of Foxystallion watchers. Please leave this up to the artist, as it is under the current rules.

foxystallion

Born Furry
yak said:
Dave Hyena said:
Simply click on the submission title which appears below it and you will get the description:

Dave to the rescue again :)

A bit of explanation on why the main site and your control panel look differently.
Actually, that explanation is, and was posted right above the template set selector in user CP. The CP has it's own, unchangeable template set, common for all, which still resembles the layout of the previous version of FA. We've been wanting to change that for a while, but never gotten around to it.

Pretty please with cream and sugar on it! Please either allow the user to create their own fullview template or have an option that provides a true fullview. What I mean by a true fullview is that the upper left hand corner of the image appears in the upper left hand corner of the viewer's monitor screen. Currently, there is a huge amount of unnecessary clutter at the top, and especially along the left edge of the monitor, even with a nominal "fullview". User defined templates would solve this problem, as would a user settable option to eliminate the clutter and provide a true fullview. I have a 1280 pixel wide monitor, but if the image is wider than 830 pixels, I have to scroll to move the left hand clutter off the screen and the right hand side of the image onto it. This would make a very substantial improvement is the FA fullviewing experience. I have been so frustrated by this that I am considering learning whatever I would need to know to write an an addon to Firefox to do this. Thank you very much for your consideration.

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
You can always use the "download" link to see the pic in full in the same or the separate tab/window.
Just press "back" in the browser to comment on it, if you feel like it.

foxystallion

Born Furry
Satosuke said:
This might have been said before, but my suggestion would be some sort of Joint posting option, where two or more people can be linked to the same image. So if two artists collaborate on a picture, or someone commissions or gets giftart from another artist, they would be able to post the picture together instead of double posting. They would share the faves and comments, and it would likely free up a good bit of space.

Though, alas, I'd have no idea how that would be implemented.

I like this idea very much! My friends have given me several pieces of gift art to color, and it would be wonderful to have the same art and comment file appear in both their gallery and mine, and to have faves for the colored piece add to both the line art artist's and my total fave counter. This would also save some hard disk storage space. Example:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/458247/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/484346/
Although I always ask viewers who like the colored piece to fave the line art so as to give the artist the credit that he or she deserves and provide a link to the image in their gallery to do so, I have found out that only about 20% do.

foxystallion

Born Furry
Tinintri said:
I don't know if this has been said or not so I'll suggest it anyway.

I'd really like to be able to create little sub-galleries and put what I would like in them manually, kind of like albums of sorts. I've seen this done on pregfur and I thought it was quite nifty.

For example:

One would do art of a hyena character named Jack and a coyote named Lily. I could have one album as Jack, one as Lily, one as Couple.

There would still be the optional view of just "Gallery" where viewers could view in order of time but I just think this would be too nice to have and would definitely organize my gallery. If nothing else, you could just order it by year and all. This would be very handy for writers, too, who want to keep chapters together.

Just a thought..

I like this idea a lot and would certainly use it! I, too, would really like a subgallery feature where the order of the submissions could be manually controlled. I write a little story to go with most of my art, and some of the stories continue from one art piece to another - in one case, through four images. To get rid of some inappropriate comments, I had to delete one submission (the first in a series of four) and then resubmit it. Now it is out of order in my gallery, and I can't rearrange the order. Moreover, there are other submissions between the pieces that comprise the four part picture/story saga. Tinintri's idea would solve all these problems and more.

For example, I have three canid characters: BeastInShow, Coyote Beautiful, and Coyote Seductive. A canid folder with subfolders for each character would be delightful. I'd also create a folders for commissioned art
displayed in my gallery (with the artist's written permission, of course), gift art, gift line art given to me for coloring, and art that is solely my own creation. It would be nice to have total view and total fave counters on each folder and subfolder. Views and faves for my own art mean a lot more to me than views and faves of commissioned art, however much I love it. Right now, I'd have to manually add it all up, which would be quite a job. Moreover, I'd like to have a fave of a commissioned art piece in my gallery pipelined to the fave counter in the artist's gallery. I always provide a link to the piece in the artist's gallery and ask viewers to fave it there, but only 20% do.

foxystallion

Born Furry
FoxyTrinity said:
TehSean said:
Dragoneer and anyone who has used OpenCanvas 1.1 should understand this request.

1) Give OpenCanvas its own category (alongside, traditional and digitalart, etc)

2)Allow OpenCanvas category to open up the option to post EVENT FILES (.wpe I believe) as attachments along with the actual image.

Those replay files, so that people with opencanvas may have the option to download them and then watch them in Opencanvas... Um... That's it..

Here. I joined the forum just to second this request. :p

As a person who can barely draw and would like to OC, replay files could certainly help the artistically inclined but drawing-tonedeaf to learn how to pose and illustrate better with the unfolding process in OC replays.

Give us arts!

I think that the problem with FA hosting .wpe files is their frequently multimegabyte or even tens of megabytes sizes. If viewing the OC event history files were popular - and I'll bet that it would be! - the data transmission costs would be substantial. One solution is to do what I do with my oversize images: I host the original images, which are often 1,500x1,500 to 1,600x2,400 pixels on Photobucket and provide a link to them from a smaller (830x830 to 1,280x1,280) FA submission.

foxystallion

Born Furry
yak said:
You can always use the "download" link to see the pic in full in the same or the separate tab/window.
Just press "back" in the browser to comment on it, if you feel like it.

Thank you very much for a very simple solution! (Boy, do I feel dumb - but I'd much rather feel dumb than remain clueless.)

Werewolfhero

Mageknight Werewolf
TehSean said:
Dragoneer and anyone who has used OpenCanvas 1.1 should understand this request.

1) Give OpenCanvas its own category (alongside, traditional and digitalart, etc)

2)Allow OpenCanvas category to open up the option to post EVENT FILES (.wpe I believe) as attachments along with the actual image.

Those replay files, so that people with opencanvas may have the option to download them and then watch them in Opencanvas... Um... That's it..
An actual Opencanvas Catagory would be nice. Till now I've been just uploading them as traditional (as if they were hand drawn)

As far as wpe uploads, not really something i'll probably lose sleep over.

TehSean

weasyl.com/profile/naoki
So. Out of curiosity, what are the chances of a comprehensive OC(Opencanvas) category making it onto Ferrox seemingly years from now? Maybe you're being complete dorks and planning on releasing it on Christmas, but that doesn't seem at all evident.

Is it planned on being implemented? Or was like. Your approval just emotional, something you'd like, but feel is infeasible due to bandwidth woes as I believe .wpe or any other form of artistic video-like replay would end up being far more popular than music uploads and would be used far more widely.