• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Project: UI Overhaul

ClipFox

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it would be nice if:

a) We can permanently set the number of thumbnails on pages, especially the submissions page... (The setting goes away when you delete submissions from the watch page.)

b) Sort by various things, like artist, title, species, etc...

c) Perhaps being able to select a number of submissions and click on a button to display them all in new pages.

ediskrad

From the top of my head

- Better PM management. I wanted to delete messages but deleting one by one is pain I tells ya.
- Preview before posting Journals and Messages
- Unified interface: I always wondered why if you click on Control Panel, the nav-bar on the left pops up in the upper right. It's madness o.o

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Dave Hyena said:
Simply click on the submission title which appears below it and you will get the description:

Dave to the rescue again :)

A bit of explanation on why the main site and your control panel look differently.
Actually, that explanation is, and was posted right above the template set selector in user CP. The CP has it's own, unchangeable template set, common for all, which still resembles the layout of the previous version of FA. We've been wanting to change that for a while, but never gotten around to it.

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Head-up of what's on the "comes next" list
ClipFox, (a)
ediskrad (a,b)
Because they're the easiest thing to do at the moment.

Sukebepanda, Arrow: *smiles* do you have any CSS editing skills? I'm going to be pretty busy with other stuff, and will probably not have time for custom styles, unless they're delivered on a plate. :oops:

ElectricKeet

Masterpiece of Auxesis
Utter newbie!  Feel free to bat me around like a piñata if I am needlessly goofy.  *grin*

Suggestions as follows:

1) Thumbnail hover panels are awesome... except they often sneak off the side or bottom of the window.  Might the former be fixed bysetting up the two right-hand columns of thumbnails to pop their hover panels to the left?  I'd also suggest the same for the lower few rows (or lower half) of the thumbnails to pop the hover panel abive instead of below the pointer.

2) Stories in .TXT could benefit from saner visual settings, perhaps with a fixed column and selectable font sizes.  Trying to read a whole story in the present text style is kind of absurd.

3) Not quite UI, but could we have the option to submit stories in a rich format that displays inline instead of requiring an external viewer?  HTML would be nice (of course, every tag would be filtered out save a safe formatting subset), or perhaps an option for the same BBcode that comment postings can use.

4) Whyfor no 32bpp transparent PNGs in avatars?

5) Really, is it truly necessary to convert tiny PNGs to nasty JPGs for avatars and thumbnails? (Tiny, almost comedy gripe, but hey, my 120x120px 3KB PNG thumbnails for stories and music got turned into... 120x120px 2.95KB JPEGs.  Kind of a WTF moment for me.)

You need to add a lot more species to the pulldown list when browsing, or at least organize them into better categories. There is no obvious choice for example for rabbit, which is a pretty big oversight right there if you ask me. :)

Here are some suggestions:

Armadillo
Badger
Bat
Bear
Beaver
Bird
Pig
Elephant
Fish
Hippo
Camel
Shark
Sheep

Cats:
House Cat, Leopard, Panther, Cougar, Lion, Tiger

Canids:
Dog, Wolf, Fox, Coyote, Dingo

Marine Mammals:
Dolphin, Orca, Whale, Seal, Manatee

Mustelids:
Ferret, Skunk, Otter

Rodentia:
Squirrel, Rabbit, Chinchilla, Hamster, Mouse, Rat, Meerkat, Raccoon, Porcupine

Amphibians:
Frog, Toad, Salamander, Turtle, Tortoise

Australian:
Kangaroo, Platypus, Koala, Dingo, Wombat

Hooved:
Horse, Zebra, Giraffe, Cow, Donkey, Mule, Deer, Moose, Elk, Antelope

Lizards:
Crocodile/Alligator, Gecko, Chameleon, Snake, Dinosaur

Mystical:
Gryphon, Dragon-Western, Dragon-Eastern, Unicorn, Werewolf, Centaur, Gargoyle

Cartoon:
Digimon, Pokemon, Sonic

I would also add an "other" option to each category, and allow a user to select other when browsing and select the category name to for example, get all Canids.

Satosuke

This might have been said before, but my suggestion would be some sort of Joint posting option, where two or more people can be linked to the same image. So if two artists collaborate on a picture, or someone commissions or gets giftart from another artist, they would be able to post the picture together instead of double posting. They would share the faves and comments, and it would likely free up a good bit of space.

Though, alas, I'd have no idea how that would be implemented.

S.G.

I don't know if it's already been said, but I think that artists should be able to control what comments are being said on their submission pages. I've had some real jerks come on my pages before and litter my art with 30+ uncalled-for, derogatory, and hostile comments. I angers me to no end that anyone can terrorize another artist and ruin their submission pages with negative and mean comments. I mean, it seems all you can do is "block" them, but that's after the damage is already done. I think it would be SPECTACULAR if you gave artists this sort of control over their own art pages. Maybe a better "block" feature too?

Aside from that, I agree with and second everything that other members are suggesting...

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
ElectricKeet,
(1) - i's already been done :) Clear your browser's cache.
(4,5) - system limitation, only .gif avatars are currently allowed. requires significant code alterations to work.
(3) - bbcode for plain text stories/poetry will come shortly, RTF parsing a bit later
(2) - sounds interesting

yak said:
Sukebepanda, Arrow: *smiles* do you have any CSS editing skills? I'm going to be pretty busy with other stuff, and will probably not have time for custom styles, unless they're delivered on a plate. :oops:

I have no major skills, I've messed with CSS before when working on my webpages and what not. Here's just something I quickly did, making a green CSS style. A few things I didn't mess with, since I dont know what the 'errortd's are. Lemme know if this is alright =o

http://www.zomgart.com/GreenFA.css

kura_ookami

This may have already been posted, but I'm going to give it a second voice if it already has.

Deviant Art has a thing for poetry and stuff where you don't have to upload a .doc or .ttx (or whatever it is) file from your computer. You just type it up and in it goes. However... I HATE Deviant Art for their limited title capabilities *shoots Deviant Art* If you guys could put something where instead of having to upload a document to the site, we could just type it in, that would be awesome!

Other than that, a few more submission catagories which people have already mentioned and that's about it.

Erm... one more thing, maybe a way to change your name? Like, you get one name change and that's it. ^^;

yak said:

Kinda-sorta, if you tell me what each thing goes to I can usually figure it out.

foxystallion

Born Furry
My number one wish is for the return of search! Is this a coding issue or a hardware issue, or both? If another server would be needed, what would it cost?

Several of my submissions have never had FA generated thumbnails - just the title of the piece, presumable due to server overload at the time of submission. An Edit click box that would generate a new thumbnail image to replace the text would be handy. At present, I would have to reupload the submission to accomplish this.

I have my browser set to display gold letters on dark chocolate background. Easy on my eyes, esprcially at night.

I would like to be able to access a list of everyone who Faved a submission, perhaps by clicking on the number of Faves on a page, as is possible on dA.

I don't seem to be able to Save Private Messages that I have sent. This would be a handy feature, especially for keeping track of commissions. At present, I have to select the outgoing message text, and paste it into a text file. This is an unnecessary hassle. The disk storage space required to Save outgoing PMs would be trivial.

I would also like all Shouts saved and indefinitely accessable, at least to the Page User. Trivial disk storage space requirement.

I'd rather have a second Featured Submission replace the User Page Artist Profile. Viewers who are interested could click on a tab to see my profile.

I'd like to have the option to replace most of the User Page Journal with a Third Featured Submission. With Search kaput, art that is not on the user page is practically non-existant. If I could keep a variable amount of space for my Journal, I'd keep only half a dozen lines on my User Page, with a click to jump to the full Journal page. If a viewer reads the first six lines, you've got them. If not, you have lost them. Any ad writer will tell you this.

A total page views counter for all submission views plus User Page views would be nice.

Thank you very much for all your hard work! I love FA!!

Dickie

foxystallion said:
I don't seem to be able to Save Private Messages that I have sent. This would be a handy feature, especially for keeping track of commissions. At present, I have to select the outgoing message text, and paste it into a text file. This is an unnecessary hassle. The disk storage space required to Save outgoing PMs would be trivial.

Go to your notes, look left, and click on "Outbox." :)

buni

Novelist
Submission types geared to textual submissions would be helpful. The ability to classify stories by genre as well as--or, if need be, instead of--subject matter would make classifying stories easier. Some examples of genre could include:
Science Fiction
Hard S/F (Scientific Accuracy)
Soft S/F (Science Fantasy)
Fantasy
High Fantasy (Magic/Mythology)
Low Fantasy (Medieval Realism)
Western
Romance
Erotica
(List of fetishes)
Character Vignette
Character Description
Comedy
Drama

I'm sure I could think of more, but those would likely suffice at least in the short term.

Kristy

buni

Novelist
It might be helpful to expand the browse functionality to let the categories of submission be checkboxes instead of dropdowns. Currently if I want to browse for, say, "Paw Fetish (Adult) or Fatfur (Adult)", I have to perform two different searches. Having the option to check the ones that interest me instead of simply selecting one per pass would cut that in half.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to do a Boolean search of any arbitrary set of classifications, so I can say something like "(Paw or Fat) AND (adult or mature)" and pull back only those stories which meet all of the specified criteria.

In that vein, I think it would be a good idea to expand the Browse function to allow me to limit returns to a maturity level. If I'm looking at work, I'd rather nothing in a red border come up, even by accident, lest the thumbnails break my office's TOS. FA's not blocked yet, and I'd like to make sure it stays that way. =n.n=

Kristy

Vitae

I want FA to do the following:

a) arrange my CD collection alphabetically and by year released.
b) do all my laundry, all the time
c) MAKE ME A SAMMICH!!!

imnohbody

SammyFox said:
1: up to 128 (or just 100) thumbnails at once everywhere while browsing (and not just 64 somewhere and 32 at another place)

Agreed, though from the other side of the coin I can see where it might possibly cause a performance bottleneck, with everything being grabbed at once. (Keep in mind I'm not a coder or web guru, though, so I could be wrong.)

Also, a modernized version of the old default format, with everything at the top of the page, as mentioned back on page 1 of this thread, would be nice. The side menu bar on the left significantly reduces the amount of horizontal space available for images in user galleries and recent submission browsing. From a purely personal aesthetic viewpoint, having that big gaping hole on the left, under the menu bar, is annoying.

ElectricKeet

Masterpiece of Auxesis
yak said:
ElectricKeet,
(1) - i's already been done :) Clear your browser's cache.
(4,5) - system limitation, only .gif avatars are currently allowed. requires significant code alterations to work.
(3) - bbcode for plain text stories/poetry will come shortly, RTF parsing a bit later
(2) - sounds interesting

1) Hm. Perhaps I have something wonky happening here, then, 'cause in Opera, I'm still getting the phenomenon of a hover popup scrolling off the right side of the window and introducing a scrollbar.
4,5) Blast! It's the Man, keepin' PNG down! *grin*
3) Righteous. Love you forever!
2) If you introduce special settings for viewing text and BBcode stories, make sure the control panel for 'em calls the process "KeetText" in honour of me! Woo-hoo!

Kougar

Just a note to say I use Opera 9.1. I've not seen/had that problem at all, ElectricKeet? If you already flushed your cache, then you might try uninstalling Java and all it's subsequent patches out of your system and install the newest build as something else to try.

AllenR

You know if we run out of idea's we could always just steal other sites ideas. Like a friends list, desktop screen shot on our FA page, an option to edit what sort of notifications we actually want sent to us, and maybe the ability to hide a section on our page that we won't use or want up.

cavewolf

Dumb little thing, but I would love it if there was a way, while looking at someone's gallery or favorites, to skip to the next image or previous image.

Does that make sense? Just, while looking at a pic, if there was, among the +Add to Favorites | Download | Full View | Send note line maybe, little arrows < or > on either side that you could click to cycle to the next or previous image in that folder.

It would also be really cool if I could set in my profile or something, to have images default to full size when viewing them...

Thanks!!

Kio

Well my suggestions would be:

1. When submitting a Flash file add the option not to display a right click menu. This is useful for not cheating in games or when you just want to disable it. The html code for it is:
Code:
<embed src="youfile.swf" menu="false">

2. Make the Search field already.

3. Add Bunnies to the species list!!

robomilk

fruit bat at large
If implementing the ability for users to change the layout of their own pages (use lost of AJAX!) then try using a drag and drop method like on Blogger Beta. I find it simple yet effective, with a little popup box for each "module" options.