• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Project: UI Overhaul

AndrewNeo

Chirp!
When you do redo the UI, please try and make it a bit more code friendly, i.e. stick a lot of descriptive ID tags around so we don't have to do XSLT transformations to find elements in greasemonkey extensions, or CSS modifications, and the like!

StarrLion

Is ready to Pounce
yak said:
StarrLion: Click the title

Thank you so much :D So simple :D Yet. If one did not know!!!

Also. I liked to never found your reply to me. I got the email. But had to go through page after page after page. I thought there would be a "Goto your replys" icon or something.

LOL, sorry there is. But I did not find it.

>^..^<

muddypaws

Bears rock!
Preyfar said:
So, we've been talking among ourselves and we've decided that it's about time that we take a bit of spit and polish and do a nice hardcore overhaul of Fur Affinity's interface.

Not just a lil' tweak here and there but a complete rehaul -- improving things across the board!

Where do you come in?
  • Request interface features!
  • Propose new color schemes -- and if we pick your scheme as the default, we'll even allow you to name it!
  • Express your opinion on the current UI so we can ensure that we can improve upon the areas you want most!
The project estimate is at about one month from now, and we plan on getting changes worked on ASAP. So, lend us your ear and your opinion! FA is about community, and we want to make sure we can accomodate you the best we can!

Post thumbnails, pics, suggestions, highlights, whatever! All will be read, all will be considered (and yes, if we pick and choose your suggestion, full credit will go to you on the site!).

Okay, here are my suggestions:

Interface Features - I like what we've got now, because it's easy to use. However, I think it would be nice to have an instruction page so we can read how to reset our individual pages for color, boarder width, text size or other features. It would be nice to have the search feature restored, if possible:) I know the staff's been working hard to rectify that loss.

Color Schemes - I think the funtionality is fine now. I resently reset my page background to a darker shade when I read how to change it for my specific log-in. Maybe some additional color options though?

What ever you do, don't put graduated colors onto the page. One other site (no affiliate to FA) did that recently and their links are now nearly impossible to read.

That's about all I have in feedback at the moment.

kjorteo

I have fuzz.
Can you please stop automatically rendering BB code emoticons in things like journal entries, shouts, and replies to journals/submissions?

I am so tired of typing parenthetical footnoes and asides (like this) and posting, only to see the end part transformed into a horrible smiley (like thisHORRIBLE SMILEY

This is especially frustrating considering that the code does not seem to obey the logic that dictates that this should only be happening when a : and a ) make a :). http://www.furaffinity.net/view/467888/#cid:2677797 As near as I can tell, this travesty here happened when I tried to put a " next to the ), and from the looks of things, it decided the best course of action was to render the ) by itself as a :wink:. I really wish it wouldn't do that.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
This one oughta be easy:

When you set your viewing preference to the dark theme, the FA banner should be the same as on the default (currently it's still on the "Bandwidth Eater Pro" banner).

---PCJ

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
RailRide said:
When you set your viewing preference to the dark theme, the FA banner should be the same as on the default (currently it's still on the "Bandwidth Eater Pro" banner).

---PCJ
It was intentionally made the way it is, since the new banner doesn't match the dark color scheme. And there's nothing i hate more then inconsistency

Aerak

I'd say keep things the same for the most part. There's nothing wrong with a consistent look... just look at VCL... ofcourse if I ever went to VCL and saw a graphical interface I'd be pretty damn scared XP

The only serious thing which I've notice, and this is purely from a front end user standpoint as I'm not sure how much the administrative tools have changed since I was onboard, is that something needs to be done with the submission category system.. I think a submission should be able to be placed in multiple catagories and better catagories according to species need to be developed.

Anywho, goodluck with plans of world domination. I say your next step should be to shank furnation in second life XD

robomilk

fruit bat at large
yak said:
robomilk said:
My designing is above average.
My coding (XHTML, CSS) is above average.
My development (PHP, CGI) is absolutely crap.
My web design theory however is top notch. Semantic coding, accessibility, usability and the like. Maybe I could be of some help there.... I also do Web 2.0!
Give me a few days and i'm sure i can get you involved, unless you reconsider by that time ,of course *smiles*

I'd be happy to help!

STrRedWolf

Lazy-ass Drygerskunk
Just to add my own two cents:
  • OpenOffice will open most MSWord files. And no, I can't buy MSOffice, because I run Linux and Microsoft hasn't produced a UNIX in twenty years (w/Xenix).
  • RTF is from Microsoft, but is very universial in how open the format is. The format's specification is online, there's Perl modules that'll read/write it, and there's even one book from O'Reilly about it.
  • Anyone know the format spec for OpenCanvas WPE? Anyone? How about a WPE to Flash?

Rimpala

Btw nevermind the watersports thing, I thought something was wrong in the browser but it turns out my adult filter setting was reset when I switched to the "dark" banner :p

lolcox

I'm kind of yell-y. Sorry.
robomilk said:
lolcox said:
(or, better yet, drop that number soup altogether. it makes no sense, since you're already sanitizing the names by adding the user's name in front of them, so two people can upload fluffy-kitty.jpg, and they'll still get their respective file. if one person uploads two fluffy-kitty.jpg, then stop 'em on the second one, say "hey, you're already using the same file name. do you want to update the first picture with this file, or would you like to make this into a new submission?" and go from there.)

No. Not good for people like me. I have previously uploaded art with the same filenames. (Blame my art indexing method.)

Hang on, just a sec, w8 4 it:

We'll change the message to:
"HEY!!1 IDIOT YOUR USING DA SAME FILE NAME OVER AGAIN DO U WNAT 2 CHANG IT OR DO U WANT 2 LOSE TEH OLD PIKSHUR???????"

In short, read what I said earlier:
Ideally, it would stop you when you attempt to upload with the same name, and ask you what you want to do.

Hell, for those unsure just what was last uploaded, it could even show you a full-sized version of the last upload (which could be turned off, or to half, or to thumbnail, but would be ON and FULL, BY DEFAULT).
Then it'd ask you something like:
Do you want to replace this image, or is this a more complete version of the image (ie: the uploaded one is a sketch, and the current upload is cleaned up and inked, and then another is flat colored, and then a final version)?
Then, if one chooses the more complete version option, it can be used to chain them together, kind of like this:
(pardon the low quality).

hyd

One more shout for a search engine. =P

How about something more customizable on individual user pages? Maybe not to the same point as SA, but something similar with cetain aspects being unique to the user's page (ie- borders, journal headers, etc)

Some sort of paintchat system for artists who would like to interact with others and collaborate?

yak said:
RailRide said:

---PCJ
It was intentionally made the way it is, since the new banner doesn't match the dark color scheme. And there's nothing i hate more then inconsistency

And there's nothing I hate more than inconsistency.

Sorry, the sentence seemed too ironic to pass up.

RailRide: Most browsers now let you block specific images if you find them bothersome.

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
thorndraco said:
yak said:
RailRide said:

---PCJ

And there's nothing I hate more than inconsistency.

Sorry, the sentence seemed too ironic to pass up.

RailRide: Most browsers now let you block specific images if you find them bothersome.

Ironic is the fact that while English is my third language, i still manage to make more sense and much less typos then a lot of native speakers; at least i was told so.

Thank you for the corrections, i'll try no to make them in the future. "Than", so that's how it's written, i always suspected something being wrong with how i used "then", and how it didn't felt like it belonged there.
As for the capitalization of "I", i guess i'll never get used to it; though i *know* it's a language rule, i don't feel so important to capitalize my self-reference.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
yak, least you also handle people correcting typos better than most of the people who are native speakers. "Well spelling doesn't count" lol. It counts for every resume I was told to toss out when people were applying for jobs. XD

Anyways, I think I proposed before you put in an ad-serving script to handle changes in the banner more efficiently. I think it would mean creating a standard size for the banners, and you can have it switch to a default banner if people turn them in late and so forth, but it would really help manage banners better. As far as inconsistency, it doesn't matter because most of the banners are inconsistent anyways.

It's called Openads now but this one really helps us out. http://www.phpadsnew.com/two/

Gronthar

I was wondering... are themes just alternate style sheets, or are we talking like content templates here? If it was a template, I'd like to try my hand at providing a few alternative layouts...

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Gronthar said:
I was wondering... are themes just alternate style sheets, or are we talking like content templates here? If it was a template, I'd like to try my hand at providing a few alternative layouts...
"Template set", "Stylesheet", that's how they are called in the CP.
If you like, you can provide suggestions/examples of both.

kamperkiller said:
I don't know if it has been said. to lazy to read 8 pages.
Putting a profile tag to peoples FA account.
What is a profile tag?

Firehazard

I can fix it!
Here's what I've come up with in the time I've been here (count any duplicates as seconding the prior comment). WARNING: Long post ahead!

Full text of comments/shouts on the Updates page in the control panel, with ability to reply directly to it with the click of a link.

deviantART-style AJAX-based inline commenting rather than having to go to a new page.

Links don't move halfway across the screen when you go into your control panel.

Setting number of thumbnails per page is saved as a permanent user setting rather than having to be re-set every time (and while I'm at it, changing the number automatically reformats the page rather than having to click "Apply").

Greatly expanded commission info page, with, among other things, the ability to set one's own categories (if you've ever used the thing on LiveJournal that creates your linkbar, it would work like that only each item would have fields for both the category name and the price). Possibly change the sample link to display a thumbnail instead of the URL.

Separate galleries for stuff you created and stuff others created for you. Possibly coupled with the ability to "tag" other people's submissions as having been done for you, like how Facebook lets you tag other people's photos of you. So the new "Gift art/Commissions" gallery would contain unattributed stuff you submitted, and stuff from other people's regular galleries. Unattributed ones could have a "Claim credit for this" link that auto-sends a confirmation request to the user's /msg/others page.

If there is no Featured Submission set, that panel just plain doesn't display instead of containing an error.

Viewing Mature and Adult art can be toggled separately.

Smaller, less fancy emotes. I hate how the winking one looks like an evil grin.

Working quote tags in PMs. This probably bugs me more than anything else.

"Favorite website" ought to have a title field as well as a URL. As it is, it's confusing to some users (I've seen plenty pages where they entered a title instead of a URL) and, even when it's done right, results in vague, non-descriptive links.

Alert bar: change "S" to "A" (for Art, duh ;)) and add a new "S" for shouts.

The option to turn off watching someone's journal.

Better system for info previews than the hovering description. I suggested a possible replacement for this here but it needs fine-tuning.

I'll add more if I think of them, but that's the bulk of it.

Angyl

Angyl Roper
I may be reiterating other people's points here, but it helps strengthen what is wanted, I think.

- more species on the species list with Latin names e.g. Vulpine, Canine, Equine, etc
- ability to create folders for specific items such as an ongoing web-comic or collections of artwork. This is a little selfish since I want it to put the various projects and comics I'm working on separate to other works. Similarly, this would be useful for commissions I've done in the past so I have a quick link for people to go to.
- The ability to move from one picture to the next when viewing a picture rather than having to go back to its main gallery. This would be especially useful for aforementioned comics and collections.
- A tab for users to post gifts/commissions/trades etc done for them by other artists. This could also be a folder, of course, and fall under the point above.

For now, I think that's everything I'm wanting for christma... FA >.>

baltowolf6990

Okay, there are a few things that I would love to see on this site.  Something that made y-gallery great in its heyday of furryness was the fact you can click to favorite an image and it is an instant thing, it doesn't reload the page.  You click fav and the icon changes and BAM it is in your fav folder!

I would love to be able to watch an artist's scraps gallery, that would be totally awesome!

And finally, How about the ability to make it so you can view more than 64 thumbnails at a time?  I would love to be able to go into my control panel and select always show first 100 images or first 200 images.  And also show all images at full size.  I now have high speed internet and a tabable browser, why not use em!  Thanks, and great job with everything, the general administration and support on this site rocks.  GO CODER NINJAS!

-Balto Wolf

G

gamm05

It would be nice to improve the navigation between images, for example when you're seeing and image, that you could go to the prev/next and with some preview of the image... I dunno... :)

Gronthar

yak said:
"Template set", "Stylesheet", that's how they are called in the CP.
If you like, you can provide suggestions/examples of both.
Yeah, I just saw that in the CP after I posted it. >.<; I'd really like to see how the template sets look, though.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
baltowolf6990 said:
I would love to be able to watch an artist's scraps gallery, that would be totally awesome!

If you +watch an artist, anything they upload to scraps will appear in your message box just as anything they upload to their main gallery would.

You can also browse the scraps category from the drop down menu.

spera

It's probably all been said before, but why not..

-have the option to organize your submissions into folders, or separate galleries, or some kind of organized system. I have a lot of submissions, and I feel bad that people have to scroll through so many pages to see my older submissions. They probably give up half way :3
-fix the displayed number of submissions and journals to match the number of submissions and journals an artist has
-bring back the search option
-have a "prev" and "next" image option when viewing images
-have the option to view all images full size, and view more images per page as a default
-expand the species list and tags for submissions
-give the site a unified interface

Most important, to me at least, would be being able to make folders and organize my submissions. You guys are doing a great job though, FA is a great site, and I'd be happy even if nothing changed :3