• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA Unaccessible... again...

This is very interesting... very interesting indeed...

This is EXACTLY one week from the time that I posted that I was having issues with FA.

... Why do I feel there is a connection with the two events...? The time is EXACT!

Either this is a known high-traffic time that was intentionally hit...

Or perhaps there is a script that is set to trigger at this time that shouldn't be? You know, your standard overbearing CPU-eating maintenance routine. >.> Dunno if FA has a processor-munching maintenance program, but hey, it's always there as a possibility that there's a default one in place someone forgot to shut off... but this timing is TOO WEIRD.

Before anyone asks... yes, I do like coming up with conspiracy theories. >.> (As well as useful ideas at the same time. For every good idea, there are at least 3 not-useful ideas!)

leeter

HADOKEN!! Solving all Problems
They said the web server was down, I'm going to assume something major happened, and by web server they meant The Server, because apache going down would be minor, they could always SSH in and see what was going on. Whereas if something else failed, say MySQL that could be more serious. I already knew FA was having SQL issues based on the number of queries any given page was pulling, and that they had some bunk queries, maybe it was worse than I thought. Mind getting any query to run in a predictable manner can be difficult with an existing DB when previous transactions have produced bunk data.

vashdragon

It be a saturday night. FA gets hit hard with traffic at this time. I wouldnt be surprised if the damn thing blew up from the load.

Simply, the community (demand) on the server is growing faster than the server itself.

The website is always gonna experience some slowdown or interuptions on busy days like these. And about once every few months the server gives and dies, that is untill they press the reset button the next morning.

-Vash Dragon

Takara_kitsune said:
This is very interesting... very interesting indeed...

This is EXACTLY one week from the time that I posted that I was having issues with FA.

... Why do I feel there is a connection with the two events...? The time is EXACT!

Either this is a known high-traffic time that was intentionally hit...

Or perhaps there is a script that is set to trigger at this time that shouldn't be? You know, your standard overbearing CPU-eating maintenance routine. >.> Dunno if FA has a processor-munching maintenance program, but hey, it's always there as a possibility that there's a default one in place someone forgot to shut off... but this timing is TOO WEIRD.

Before anyone asks... yes, I do like coming up with conspiracy theories. >.> (As well as useful ideas at the same time. For every good idea, there are at least 3 not-useful ideas!)

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
I blame 7chan (I'm just following procedure)

Charem

The Vorish Firelizard
It be a saturday night. FA gets hit hard with traffic at this time. I wouldnt be surprised if the damn thing blew up from the load.

This Saturday seems to have been overly busy in numerous ways...Safeway, where I work, was nearly brought to its knees with all the people that showed up to shop yesterday, and the same problem happened with my roommate's restaurant job...so I'm not surprised if FA was similarly overwhelmed. :p

Fara

Charem said:
This Saturday seems to have been overly busy in numerous ways...Safeway, where I work, was nearly brought to its knees with all the people that showed up to shop yesterday, and the same problem happened with my roommate's restaurant job...so I'm not surprised if FA was similarly overwhelmed. :p

Too many people in the world, maybe? I blame the artists for being so excellent, and attracting so many people in. Of course, if the downtime really bothers you, and you'd like to see FA being more reliable, there's a very simple way.

Donate.

Charem

The Vorish Firelizard
Fara said:
Too many people in the world, maybe? I blame the artists for being so excellent, and attracting so many people in. Of course, if the downtime really bothers you, and you'd like to see FA being more reliable, there's a very simple way.

Donate.

:p For the first time in my life, I'm actually saving up money, so this is quite possibly doable for me in the near future...would make me feel good anyways; FA's the hub of my online activity.

Fara

As am I. Kind of.
I'm going to set aside the best part any money I make from commissions (which so far is nothing) for FA donations.

I get some money, you get a picture, and FA gets some server petrol. Win-win-win situation for all concerned.
So commission me, what're you waiting for? Ohyeah, the server.

We all break down sometimes.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Yes. This has happened before. I remember one time the whole site was down for almost a week. Everyone came to the forum and if to my knowing, most users on here when the site goes down. We all want to know what just happened. That's why there is a Site Status forum

STrRedWolf

Lazy-ass Drygerskunk
*grumbles* Can't we get a second web server to handle the load and fail-over for FA?

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
STrRedWolf said:
*grumbles* Can't we get a second web server to handle the load and fail-over for FA?

IDK, maybe.

Fara

Two servers may serve up twice as much, but realistically you'd also get twice the problems. Also, I think that the spare server would be used for more and more things over time, and eventually there would be two servers working flat-out, and we'd need yet another as a reserve. And where would that stop?
I think downtime is important every now and then, as long as no data is lost, and there's no harm done.

Petrock

Science Nut
Too many people on at the same time = accidental DDoS I guess. XDD

Neh. I'd say get a mirror set up or something to absorb some of the workload. Maybe have the backup server take some load on saturdays, then go back to just being backup on other days?

tsawolf

Petrock said:
Too many people on at the same time = accidental DDoS I guess. XDD

Neh. I'd say get a mirror set up or something to absorb some of the workload. Maybe have the backup server take some load on saturdays, then go back to just being backup on other days?

To be honest, in the log samples that we took a few weeks ago, there wasn't an appreciable increase on the weekend. Load was pretty much constant across the week.

Another server could certainly be setup as a master/slave webserver, but we'd need some way to keep the images constant across the two servers. That would mean some tricky footing, but certainly wouldn't be impossible.

Only problem: Servers are expensive. Very expensive. And if you want to do things right, you can't skimp on the money. Part of our problems are generated by not using the best hardware out there (this particular downtime, I don't think is related).

If someone has a few spare thousand dollars they want to donate... :twisted:

guyver47

Can has Military Menz?
I start to get frustrated when I have to modify or code my own personal site HTML. I can't fathom the amount of work required to create and maintain one used by more than 1,000 people, especially when it goes down and they're all looking for answers. It makes my eyes spin.

As long as my notes and everything in the message center remains as it was before the downtime, I'm satisfied.

The only thing we can do is to remain patient :)
I can't think of anything else to suggest.

tsawolf

guyver47 said:
As long as my notes and everything in the message center remains as it was before the downtime, I'm satisfied.

Theoretically speaking, the only data that could possibly be lost would be artwork.

Notes, everything like that, it's all stored on the database server, which is still chugging along happily (much more happily than usual, since it has a total of 0 requests to fill).

I am not saying that there was data loss. Just that it wouldn't even be possible to have that kind of data loss in this scenario.

SoreThumb

Speaking of a few thousand dollars to donate, somebody could donate a KVM machine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch#KVM_over_IP ... something that could allow FA to reboot the server remotely, without looking for their webhost to do it. Unfortunately, it IS over IP, so somebody else malicious could do so as well 8);;;;

Hm. <:3

guyver47

Can has Military Menz?
tsawolf said:
guyver47 said:

Theoretically speaking, the only data that could possibly be lost would be artwork.

Notes, everything like that, it's all stored on the database server, which is still chugging along happily (much more happily than usual, since it has a total of 0 requests to fill).

I am not saying that there was data loss. Just that it wouldn't even be possible to have that kind of data loss in this scenario.

I figured that it was nothing like that or something would have been mentioned in the initial site status post. :)

vashdragon

Maybe you can work out a deal with Nek0gami to do an auction as a donation to the site. Hehe.

(Man i should let that die already. Hehe but a donation based auction with some artist/s isnt that bad an idea.)

-Vash Dragon

tsawolf said:
To be honest, in the log samples that we took a few weeks ago, there wasn't an appreciable increase on the weekend. Load was pretty much constant across the week.

Another server could certainly be setup as a master/slave webserver, but we'd need some way to keep the images constant across the two servers. That would mean some tricky footing, but certainly wouldn't be impossible.

Only problem: Servers are expensive. Very expensive. And if you want to do things right, you can't skimp on the money. Part of our problems are generated by not using the best hardware out there (this particular downtime, I don't think is related).

If someone has a few spare thousand dollars they want to donate... :twisted:

vashdragon

Ok, this timeing out thing is really annoying. I guess the forums are getting bogged down by tons of people trying to figure out whats going on. Either that, or it just likes being a pain in the ass to the computers i use.

foxystallion

Born Furry
[/quote]
[/quote]

That surprises me! Is there any URL where I could view FA's traffic stats? I'd love to watch FA's growth with greater accuracy and in more detail than what is available on:
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/furaffinity.net
http://www.quantcast.com/search/furaffinity.net

I watch about 150 artists, and I see a pronounced peak in Submissions and Journals from Friday night through Saturday. There are a few hundred folks watching me, and Comments on my Submissions and Journals seem to be concentrated from Friday evening through Sunday. I realize that neither my Watch list nor those who watch me are random. I suspect that the artists that I watch are disproportionately older, and hence they are more likely to work regular weekday hours, but I didn't realize that the activity that I see is skewed so strongly. Anyway, I'm glad that FA has a more even load than I realized; serving big peak loads is extra expensive. Thank you very much for all your work to keep this community alive!