• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fabric as substitute for fur?

Can I use fabric instead of fur?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Lobie5

Lobie the Cartoonist
So I'm thinking about making another costume soon, and I was wondering—would I be able to use fabric instead of fur?

Since it's a cosplay of a robot character, he wouldn't really have fur, but I'm alright with him looking a little soft. So, I've been thinking about shopping around for some fabric. It'd be cheaper, and I wouldn't have to go through so much trouble to trim it down. It'd probably make him look more like a sports mascot than a fursuit, but I'm 100% okay with that.

Any thoughts? Is this a good idea, or should I just buy fur? Have any of you guys worked with fabric before? What kind of fabric would look best? Would I be able to hide the seams at all?

Faexie

Rara for short :)
If your character doesn't have fur, it's okay not to use fur! Since it's supposed to be a robot, perhaps you could use shiny fabric so it looks more metalic?

Make sure your base is smooth though, as it will be more obvious that it isn't if you're not using fur

Faexie

Rara for short :)
Oh btw I just learned that you can make really short fur by brushing fleece with a dog brush. Made a thread about it too