• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Factions in MMORPG

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Which is why good vs evil mmorpgs tend to be retarded.

I propose something like two rival companies beating the shit each other in say... the greatest treasure ever in the whole world, and recruiting adventurers of all races of all classes.

At the end of the day, the whole "Good" and "evil" concept is pretty suggestive in it's own right. But sometimes with the "LOLore", they may put the idea into your head of the side filled with Light-Wielding Holy Knights that use religion and force to gain what they want, Naive $cientologist Space goats, Purple Republican hippies, Midgets with beards, Pedobait in denile, and furfags are the "good guys"; while the other side filled with Barbaric cannibalistic pig people, Jamacian and Cajun black people in denile, Furfags in denile, the "Goff" race, Sparkle Faggots, and something that looks like it'll eat your babies are "Evil baddies".

o_O Obvious run-on.

Ridge

Which is why good vs evil mmorpgs tend to be retarded.

I propose something like two rival companies beating the shit each other in say... the greatest treasure ever in the whole world, and recruiting adventurers of all races of all classes.

You have to answer the call of players who like PvP elements. You need to do it right, as FF XI did and made it games between nations. I thought FF XI did the best in terms of 'factions'.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
But people think everybody does this and go to the "evil" side to be different. Hence why almost every sever has -far- more horde than alliance, mine for instance is a 60-40 ratio, and others I know of even have 80-20. I've seen wintergrasp with alliance having tenacity 20. That means for every ONE alliance there is in the fight there's 20 horde.
For another example: Warhammer Online was broken because servers were horribly mis-matched in sides. So much so that offering bonus' to those playing on the order side still wasn't enough to balance things out, and caused massive server shut-down.

Personally, I blame this on the fact that evil is (usually) cool in MMO's. They get the best geographies (Eldritch Horror Architecture is almost exclusively an evil-faction thing), get the best looking races / classes / abilities, have backstories that usually are better than the good side's if only because it's one sentence longer in a three-sentence background set.

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
First thing that went through my mind when I heard of WoW's Worgen race is: They're in the Alliance!?

Although this does not bother me, it was a surprise.

Bobmuffins

In my eyes, the whole faction/class idea in MMORPGs is just terrible.

Seriously. Why do I say that?

Say you spend two or three months playing a game, get to a fairly high level, and go try out PvP. You then discover your class/faction is the weakest in the game. Time to restart and pick a new class/faction, and lose two or three months in the process.

Ridge

In my eyes, the whole faction/class idea in MMORPGs is just terrible.

Seriously. Why do I say that?

Say you spend two or three months playing a game, get to a fairly high level, and go try out PvP. You then discover your class/faction is the weakest in the game. Time to restart and pick a new class/faction, and lose two or three months in the process.

And thus the developer wins and you spend more time in the game replaying it. =P

Mel-the-Hybrid

Is not ****ing interested.
Alliance can keep their Worgen, I'm content with being a cow. :)

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
My honest Opinion: Don't play MMORPGS, they take your money and are an escape from reality.

If you don't want factions based on race, but want different races, try Earth Eternal(I'm not sure if it's out of closed beta yet, though).

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
lrn2playfreeMMORPGs that are actually well-done.

Usually, people who bash free MMORPGs are just trying to feel good that the money they wasted on paid subscriptions are worth it.
I just find MMORRGS remarkably time consuming and unsatisfying.

Ridge

I just find MMORRGS remarkably time consuming and unsatisfying.

An MMORPG is fine in moderation, just like anything else recreational in life. I could play a console game and the effect is still the same; not really being productive but playing a video game.

The biggest argument is these games can be addicting and that's very true. However, as long as someone has the ability to step back and go outside, have a job, go to class and excel in a social life then there's no need to avoid an MMORPG.

Sometimes I'll play for a few hours and some days I won't even turn a game on. I'll read, go to a movie with friends, etc. It's all how we spend our free time. =)

Notebookpanda

It seems to be one of those systems that were added to video games and somehow because a baseline for many. Sorta like... the MP system. Or that the healer in most RPG's tends to be a rather young female that's entirely too soft spoken for her own good.

In Aion for example, there's the Elyos and the Asmodians. It creates the field for the PvP between two different sides. There are other games that have more than two factions though. Factions lead to differences between groups, thus it is easier to justify the PvP content through lore. Maybe.

Also, faction specific languages. They make me a sad panda. =(

J

Jelly

Usually, people who bash free MMORPGs are just trying to feel good that the money they wasted on paid subscriptions are worth it.

Hey man.
My art doesn't suck.
Its called style, you're just jealous.

(Stop plugging that fucking fetish MMO from Malaysia, shit is awful.)

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
That's called horrible programming.

And yet it works. :B MMOGs are full of people saying "This game sucks/*insert game here* is so much better, yet I still log on to play/pay the monthly fee". Apparently they're still doing something right.

WolfoxOkamichan

Luffs Buff Wuffs
Hey man.
My art doesn't suck.
Its called style, you're just jealous.

(Stop plugging that fucking fetish MMO from Malaysia, shit is awful.)

lolwut

Also while I do enjoy Perfect World, I still hate it's stupidity regarding character design and such. Hell, I like NeoSteam more than that.

And PW is Chinese. :/

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
First thing that went through my mind when I heard of WoW's Worgen race is: They're in the Alliance!?

Although this does not bother me, it was a surprise.

Blizz's excuse was that they needed a Monster race for the Alliance, while the Horde has one "Pretty" race.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Say, you know what else makes no sense?

Alignment based class restrictions.

I should be able to make a jerk ass chaotic evil Paladin if I want and a suck-up Warlock. I should be able to be a serial killing Favoured Soul or a fundamentalist Wu Jen because I want to. Sure it's taking a diarrhea dump all over the rules and the lore but why should I also have class restrictions in a pen-and-paper rule? It's retarded that I have to follow rules or not take a shit all over other peoples rules and mock them and everyone who likes them? And why should I have to use bahamut to be a dragonborn? I should be able to have a dragonborn who follows Tiamat. And why do I have to have this stupid Feats bullshit? I should be able to equip my Wu Jen with exotic plate armour, a nice heavy shield, and spears and my tanking warrior with silk robes and tiny little daggers that'll do no damage? Fuck rules! I SHOULD BE ABLE TO CREATE MY OWN STUFF! RULES ARE RETARDED!

If you can't tell...this is sarcasm.

Last edited: