• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FAF Cultural Swap? Discussion

FAF Cultural Swap? Would you participate?

• This is a great idea, I would love to participate!

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • This is a great idea, but I can't/wouldn't participate.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I'm curious/hesitant, but I would probably participate.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • This is a bad idea and I wouldn't participate.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other? [Specify below, please!]

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

Kosdu

I don't know what I would send... My culture is not mainstream american and most objects I surround myself with seem to be Malaysian in nature. On my dresser I have 4 rattan sticks, 2 kamagong eskrima sticks, a filipino karambit, 4 carved kamagong spikes, a bolo, a stick shaped like a bolo, and 2 rubber knives with a tub of tiger balm. But I'm not filipino or anything >.>

I'll participate if I can think of anything.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
...you people are getting baby alligators in your mailboxes, courtesy of the panhandle nation :V

sniperfreak223

More Metal Than You !!!
heh mine will probably involve coal-related stuff and memorabilia related to the American version of "The Office"...you know...cus I love in Scranton, PA (oh...and I guess bananas according to my girlfriend)

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Its supposed to be for seafood, but maryland weirdos put it on everything.

Fries? Chips? Who cares! Put old bay on it :V

They even have it in those shakey dispenser things in lunch lines at schools!

Old bay addicts lol.

You can always send someone a Smith island cake with a thing of old bay along with it. XD

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
I've already thought of 2 Local trinkets to include which would both be very fun and one might get a bit of laughs (because the South West is one big joke =P) and I haven't even asked my mum yet for advice ^.^

Plastic-Fox

I would so paeticipate, if I can. (Post limit, whatever)
You guys n gals would get good german beer xD

Worldwide Cultural Beer Exchange! So in!

but for all those wondering : FaF Secret Santa was perfect! Get in on this opportunity to build our community. So looking forward to packing my Canadian nationality with some of my Tennessee college home! Care boxes of treats for all!

galaxy-meow

dapper cat
Well, since Vaer is handling general California (you forgot to mention flipflops), I guess I'll stick to SoCal related. You're getting touristy shit from Seaport Village and Balboa Park. And maybe something from Sea World. Can I send sea shells/starfish/sand dollars?

Kosdu

Okay so I'm guessing I need to make a trip down to medicine park and get some handmade stuff for this.

I need an excuse anyways to be entirely honest

Last edited:

Kosdu

If we can, I'd like to wait until the lands around my home turn green then take some very nice pictures.

I tend to have a talent for it, and beautiful pictures would be a cool addition to the box.
Some very nice metal statues are all around medicine part aswell, so a bit of local culture.

Pantheros

you are me, and i am you
Glad to have you on board, my Lithuanian friend! -Secretly wishing really hard to get paired with Pantheros *w*-
Is that rule exclusive to your country? At least regarding Finland, I'm fairly certain you can ship out knives, since the puukko is a common trinket here, but with certain exceptions regarding blades or something. Obviously, can't bring in butterfly knives or stilettos or shit like that, nor export durr.
I'm still gathering all the relevant data by area, that I can. Quite a task in itself.

Yeah, you cannot ship weapons of any kind and that includes daggers unfortunetly. Though that does not mean i'm out of ideas! My guy will get more medieval oriented items. Medieval Lithuanian culture was the absolute best as it was our highest point in history during which we ruled a giant chunk of europe and very rarely lost a battle. destroyed vikings all the same too XP. I'm going to avoid any spoilers, it will ruin the surprise. You dudes should really do the same, surprises are awesome X3

Kosdu

Could I buy a traditional karambit with a short blade for this? Be like 60$, but if I can ship it it does have to do with my personal culture.

Also rocks, you gettin rocks

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
I know of 5 farms out in western Virginia that has good ham, excluding Smithfield
You'd have to refer to your postal services to see if something like that can be shipped. I can "probably" ship some packages with either the sliced, cooked, and smoked ham-steaks that are vacuum packaged in exchange for some Finnish licorice (my weakness). (not sure about a whole shank since those are 3-4 lbs.)

I'm not 100% sure on this, but from what I've seen so far of the restrictions and regulations, meat and milk products are not an allowed import for the EU, or at least for Finland, according to Tulli.
But I have a lot of research ahead of me to confirm this, because if I can't get beef jerky, I will drown Finland in my bitter tears.

If I participate I'll mail old bay to everyone like a true marylander :V

I don't get why maryland is so obsessed with it. People here put it on fucking everything.

I had to Google what Old Bay was, but it does sound kinda good. Finnish food tends to be pretty bland, so I gotta keep well stocked on herbs and spices. :3

I don't know what I would send... My culture is not mainstream american and most objects I surround myself with seem to be Malaysian in nature. On my dresser I have 4 rattan sticks, 2 kamagong eskrima sticks, a filipino karambit, 4 carved kamagong spikes, a bolo, a stick shaped like a bolo, and 2 rubber knives with a tub of tiger balm. But I'm not filipino or anything >.>

I'll participate if I can think of anything.

Well, if it's something you're interested in, and/or have immersed yourself in and educated yourself about, feel free to share it! It's a culture swap, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be -your- culture, as in the one you were born in to. After all, I was born and raised in America, a part of Wisconsin culture through and through, but I live in Finland now and intend to share some of Finland with the rest of you. :3

...you people are getting baby alligators in your mailboxes, courtesy of the panhandle nation :V

Personally, I would love a baby alligator, if it wasn't so damn illegal.
BUT. If you can get a diaphonized one, I will pay for it.

Ok just that i understood it right. Chuchi is making a fromula for registration?

Yes, I am working on it! As well as compiling as much information regarding international shipping for various parts of the world as I can. C:

Well, since Vaer is handling general California (you forgot to mention flipflops), I guess I'll stick to SoCal related. You're getting touristy shit from Seaport Village and Balboa Park. And maybe something from Sea World. Can I send sea shells/starfish/sand dollars?

Fair deal!
As far as the shells and stuff go, hold the thought for when I have all the import/export piled together.
Then I can more confidently answer that question. >w<;

This just occured to me: if any participants are to send foodstuffs, we should make sure we include ingredient lists or something of the like to ensure that a recipient with food allergies knows what's in the food they're getting. Should the food item be handcrafted and perhaps without allergy information, it should be known immediately that it could be dangerous.

Allergies were mentioned before so I have that noted.
As far as baked/handcrafted foods go, absolutely include the recipe (in case they wish to replicate it, and also for allergy purposes). I will include a box on the form about allergies, so you should know ahead of time what your recipient is allergic to.
Don't forget to keep import/export restrictions and regulations in mind when considering food!

If we can, I'd like to wait until the lands around my home turn green then take some very nice pictures.

I tend to have a talent for it, and beautiful pictures would be a cool addition to the box.
Some very nice metal statues are all around medicine part aswell, so a bit of local culture.

I think that's a fine idea!
Might I suggest poster tubes for prints, to ensure they don't get mangled in the box.
Sometimes carriers aren't as careful with stuff as they're supposed to be, even when the boxes are marked. Poster tube would ensure prints or pictures, such as traditionally done, would be safe in transport.

-------------------------------------

Thanks for the newest round of feedback!
Stay tuned for the main event thread, after I finish the forms and whatnot.
I'll have a resource list compiled to help answer what can and can't be shipped where and whatnot.
I've got a lot of work to do, so please be patient! ♥

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
Just gonna give this thread a little nudge.

Do we have anything else we want to discuss?

Yea or nay on the whole shipping fund idea? More discussion?

Thoughts, comments, etc in general?

Suggestions for what should all be on the form?
I am actually working on the form right now.

Let your voices be heard.

Pantheros

you are me, and i am you
Not sure if you guys settled on the pairing idea. so should we do random, premade or both? i vote for both. So people can swap packages from unfamiliar places and americans don't get other americans too much.

I say yay, though i will probably not be needing it, nor can i contribute to it since i don't have the means to. but having that there, even know a very small fund, would be useful.

we should start the entry ordeal asap since i am quite afraid this whole thing will start deflating before long. Get the guaranteed participants list up there.

where you're from, if you prefer premade or randomized pairing, can you afford it (as in do you understand the shipping costs and receiving costs of your country), are you in it for sure and a general aproximation of what you will be sending so there will be no gag packages or dildos.

Last edited:

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
Not sure if you guys settled on the pairing idea. so should we do random, premade or both? i vote for both. So people can swap packages from unfamiliar places and americans don't get other americans too much.
As far as I'm aware, we've talked quite a bit about random-pseudo random pairing, so that States don't get paired with States and that countries get mixed appropriately. Jtrekkie offered to handle this area, if I recall.
I say yay, though i will probably not be needing it, nor can i contribute to it since i don't have the means to. but having that there, even know a very small fund, would be useful.
I too support the fund, but without people serious about backing this, or offering further discussion, I don't see it being a reality.
we should start the entry ordeal asap since i am quite afraid this whole thing will start deflating before long. Get the guaranteed participants list up there.
Well, I -am- working on it as fast as I can, and I mentioned previously that early-mid March would probably be when I go live with this, so to say.
where you're from, if you prefer premade or randomized pairing, can you afford it (as in do you understand the shipping costs and receiving costs of your country), are you in it for sure and a general aproximation of what you will be sending so there will be no gag packages or dildos.
Some good points to touch on.
I've already included some things regarding inappropriate/illegal gifts.
Again, good judgment, people. :p

Thanks for the feedback!

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
Out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who is willing to take on the mantle of responsibility and host this thing in my stead?
I can forward all the forms/documents and resources that I have compiled thus far.

It's not that I don't want to do it, I'm moving ahead business as usual on my end, I'm just genuinely curious if there is someone else out there who wants to host it.
Keep in mind, you need to be someone who has a name around the forums already, and who is trustworthy individual, and it's not that I want to discriminate against the newer members, but I think only a 'forum veteran' should apply.

jtrekkie

Feathered
Out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who is willing to take on the mantle of responsibility and host this thing in my stead?
I can forward all the forms/documents and resources that I have compiled thus far.

It's not that I don't want to do it, I'm moving ahead business as usual on my end, I'm just genuinely curious if there is someone else out there who wants to host it.
Keep in mind, you need to be someone who has a name around the forums already, and who is trustworthy individual, and it's not that I want to discriminate against the newer members, but I think only a 'forum veteran' should apply.

Could you explain just what your duties are? From the outside it isn't easy to anticipate the work required and you have the only experience.

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
Could you explain just what your duties are? From the outside it isn't easy to anticipate the work required and you have the only experience.

You know, I had this whole big post made out in response to this and halfway through, just decided "fuck it, I'll soldier on."
But thanks for asking/the consideration.

So disregard my 'Help Wanted' advert, consider that sign removed.