• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FaF, what should I do?

Yes or No?

• Yes. Go for it bro!

Votes: 33 97.1%
  • Naa fuck it, don't bother!

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
I would like serious replies to this please, if that is at all possible with you nutty bunch of people!

Well, as all of you know, I'm very interested in bicycles, I have fixed, sold, built bicycles (in the process of building one from scratch right now) for about 15 years. I've mostly just fixed friends bicycles and their friends bicycles never once charged anyone to do it.

Now I have always wanted to do this as a business. Why did I not start a business before now? Well I was young for one and for two, there was already two cycle shops at least in my town, so there wasn't really room in the market for a third.

However, I have been reliably informed that the towns only cycle shop has just gone bankrupt and will be closing down. This now leaves an open market in this town for a cycle shop. Now, I am with an agency called Pinnacle People" which works alongside the job center to help the unemployed find work, it also has ways to help people become self employed.

So my question is, when I next have to go to Pinnacle People, should I talk to the adviser, tell her I really would like to go self employed and grab this chance with both hands, or not bother? I have only been selling bicycles for about 8 years and only during the warmer seasons as that was the time of year I found best to sell them, but in 8 years I have only ever had five complaints. And I have sold more bicycles than I can remember, I must sell at the very least 10 per season, I'd sell more if I could get hold of them.

So yeah, should I grab this opportunity with both hands?

Schwimmwagen

Absolutely definitely go for it. You could run a great little business and get good cash out of it!

Though first, I'd look into why the last bicycle shop went bankrupt. You gotta be careful to not repeat their mistakes.

Dragonfurry

(•_•)(•_•)>⌐■-■(⌐■_■)
Go for it bro! If it will make you happy then do it. Also I aint that nutty. :V

Randy-Darkshade

Absolutely definitely go for it. You could run a great little business and get good cash out of it!

Though first, I'd look into why the last bicycle shop went bankrupt. You gotta be careful to not repeat their mistakes.

Well, his prices were quite high, and he tried to rip off a couple people I know. I did do a rant awhile ago where I said he tried to tell a 13 year old boy he needed a new BMX rear wheel because the gear kept sticking, he didn't need one at all, it just needed greasing up, which is all I did and he never had any further issues with it.

I can't do that to people, never have, never will, I will always give people all options, if something really does need replacing I'll tell them, if it doesn't and I think we can get away with some oil or grease I'll tell them. I'd want to make as much money as possible just as much as anyone else but I wont rip people off. I wouldn't want to be ripped off so why rip others off?

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
I say you should do it. It is doing something that makes you happy and that you know how to do.

Kitutal

cute newbie kitten
I'm always in favour of people taking the business of business into their own hands, if there's something you like doing and can earn money from, then do it and earn money.
Good luck.

ObsidianLaughter

HI GUYYYYYYYYYYYS
Definitely do it. Those who run their own businesses normally are happier in the long run and get the obvious advantage of enjoying their jobs as well. There is no reason not to try, especially since biking is a thing that seldom goes out due to exercise and recreational purposes.

phasma

commotus observator
This sounds like an superb idea to me. And Gibby is absolutely correct with his advice. Ive also thought of starting a business and after telling people about that my brother who could have a Phd in economics has told me that if I really do start a buisness to not take money out of it for personal use until it reaches its 3rd year of existance and even then only if the revenue rate is higher then5-8%. In short reinvesting in your business and possibly your employees and as well as advertisement will go a looong way. But im guessing you already may know this because it seems your much farther along with the prospect then I am. As for the winter seasons you could sell athletic winter apparel im guessing. Well anyway I wish you the best of luck with this adventure and if you need anymore help I will be glad to help n_n.

Randy-Darkshade

This sounds like an superb idea to me. And Gibby is absolutely correct with his advice. Ive also thought of starting a business and after telling people about that my brother who could have a Phd in economics has told me that if I really do start a buisness to not take money out of it for personal use until it reaches its 3rd year of existance and even then only if the revenue rate is higher then5-8%. In short reinvesting in your business and possibly your employees and as well as advertisement will go a looong way. But im guessing you already may know this because it seems your much farther along with the prospect then I am. As for the winter seasons you could sell athletic winter apparel im guessing. Well anyway I wish you the best of luck with this adventure and if you need anymore help I will be glad to help n_n.

It's something I have wanted to do for years, but never tried to do it because there wasn't room in this town. I've been using ebay to sell used bikes for three years now and I have received only two negative feedbacks, both were not really warranted either, but oh well, after a year they come off file anyway so now I have a perfect feedback score.

phasma

commotus observator
It's something I have wanted to do for years, but never tried to do it because there wasn't room in this town. I've been using ebay to sell used bikes for three years now and I have received only two negative feedbacks, both were not really warranted either, but oh well, after a year they come off file anyway so now I have a perfect feedback score.
Well now that there seems to be room in the town I say go for it. You already have experience with a home business "aka Ebay ive been doing the same thing n_n" People tend to love the professional feel that stores can bring. And about those to unwarranted feedbacks... There will always be people saying things like that its like that for every business. Those are what we call moronic assholes. If you stay true to the idea of giving quality service at a affordable rate then the good reviews will come, that I promise. Its not like people are going to hate you for being nice :p. Oh if you do start the business it might still be a good idea to keep the ebay portion open so that way you can actually buy the bikes directly from the manufacturer instead of through a third party. Tends to be a lot cheaper that way.

Last edited:

Francis Vixen

Der Freischütz im Herzen
Wait until the economy improves before pursuing this. I love the idea and I wish you the best of luck, but it seems like the deck is stacked against you in the present economic climate.

shteev

Lol how do I delete this account
I would wait until economic conditions are a bit better. But don't get me wrong, I think you should definitely keep working towards your goal, but be careful. Make sure you're ready for the commitment, yanno?

Dreaming

You have to ask, why did those other two shops go bankrupt? Not enough sales, most likely. You may end up falling a victim to the same fate.

I would say go for it, just be careful doing it.

Randy-Darkshade

You have to ask, why did those other two shops go bankrupt? Not enough sales, most likely. You may end up falling a victim to the same fate.

I would say go for it, just be careful doing it.

I saw it coming a long time ago. The reason the first one closed was because trading standards closed him down, the second closed because they could not compete with the one that is now closing, because at teh time the one that is now closing was a good shop and had decent prices. However it was taken over by the owners son, No one liked him, he always tried to tell people they needed parts which they didn't need at all, his prices were high (a lot higher than a cycle shops prices in the next town) and he was a dick, to be honest I have been expecting him to go under for awhile. The way he ran the shop basically drove customers away. I mean I know everyone is trying to make some money to live but if you want to keep customers and gain customers you have to be fair with your prices.

There is a place in town called WILCO, they stock some motoring stuff, some bicycles and bicycle spares. I always get my parts from WILCO because it's cheap. I mean in WILCO a pair of grip shift gear shifters would cost about 20 bucks, in that cycle shop it would have cost 20 for just ONE shifter.

I also want to give people the option to have their bicycle fixed with a brand new part, which would cost more, or the option to have a reconditioned part instead which would be far cheaper.

Any bicycles I obtain that are too rusty, or the paint work is too shabby to the point it isn't worth the effort to fix it, I break it for parts, I keep derailures if they are good and clean, cables if they are not fraid or kinked, outer cables if they are in good undamaged condition, reflectors, brake pads if they are not too badly worn, wheels if they are straight, cranks if the teeth are good, cassettes if the teeth are good, bottom brackets if they are not bent, bottom bracket bearings if they are good. And believe me using cleaned up re-con parts on a bike are just as reliable and last just as long as a new part.

My current bike I have had for a couple years now, only things I bought new was the bottom bracket and crank set. Everything else is a used part and after two years she still works just fine. Then again I look after my bicycles.

Kranda

I'm going in for the kill.
I would say go for it. If it doesn't work out, at least you tried. Do something that will make you happy and maybe make you some money along the way.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Grab that opportunity by the nuts. Soon you will bury the nuts, forget where you buried them and they will grow into money trees.
Any opportunity is better than none. I'm still not having luck with a job, so I suggest you seize the chance.

gokorahn

Fluffiness level: 9002
Pretty much what everyone else said, go for it, but make sure you do it right and will be able to thrive as a business.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
Well, his prices were quite high, and he tried to rip off a couple people I know. I did do a rant awhile ago where I said he tried to tell a 13 year old boy he needed a new BMX rear wheel because the gear kept sticking, he didn't need one at all, it just needed greasing up, which is all I did and he never had any further issues with it.

I can't do that to people, never have, never will, I will always give people all options, if something really does need replacing I'll tell them, if it doesn't and I think we can get away with some oil or grease I'll tell them. I'd want to make as much money as possible just as much as anyone else but I wont rip people off. I wouldn't want to be ripped off so why rip others off?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." It's a very good business model.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
If you've earned a good reputation and you've got the smarts to run a business, I'd say go for it.

Darkwing

I think you should totally go for it Randy, but don't go with my opinion, it's a choice you're going to have to make. Being an entrepreneur means making responsible decisions on your own, if you believe that you can handle running a business, go right ahead.

Kivaari

Meow.
Sounds like if you ever want to do it, this is the time. But be careful, one quote I've heard many times goes something like, "Want to know the best way to make a million dollars with a bike shop? Start with two million."

Also, consider selling something like skis or snowboards to make up for lack of sales in the winter.