• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FAF's Car & Autosports Tread

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
This is something a little more my language, so I formed a general thread about. Not surprising, considering my username is also a car part you might find on the rear axle of your car if you own one.

Discuss cars. Discuss car parts. Discuss motorsports. Discuss Tuning. Hell, disuss what happened on your drive to work yesterday! I don't care one crap.

Rather it's real, a fantasy of sorts, conceptual, or even driving technique (which is not limited to racing applications), it's worth discussing here. Feel free to use examples, and tell stories.

... Well, what else do you want me to say? Keep it to the subject, and yadayadayada... Now get to talking!

Well, I had made a thread a while back asking how fast people how fast they had gotten their cars to go. So far, the best I've done is 120 mph in my 1997 Honda Accord. Did you put 'tread' in the title on purpose?

Dreaming

My parents almost gave me their '97 Fiat Punto a few years ago but they decided to sell it instead, I kinda dodged the bullet there. Though speaking of car-related stuff, they're demolishing a bar across the street from here, they're currently turning over the ground between the road and the building and they've somehow dug up a whole fender :I I don't even want to know when how or why

Well hmm my parents are planning on buying a Renault Scénic soon so here's a question... why ain't there no Renaults in North America?

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
Llamapotamus said:
Well, I had made a thread a while back asking how fast people how fast they had gotten their cars to go. So far, the best I've done is120 mph in my1997 Honda Accord. Did you put 'tread' in the title on purpose?

The "Tread" was an accident, but I saw it later, and felt It had a nice spin to it. Auto-Correct isn't to blame either.

Did the Accord you drive have VTEC? If so, than that's normal I think.

xAngelStormx said:
Well I bought my Golf GTI last week, it wasn't as fast as I thought it would be:/

What generation Golf GTi did you buy?

dreaming said:
Well hmm my parents are planning on buying a Renault Scénic soon so here's a question... why ain't there no Renaults in North America?

That's a question I've been pondering since I was playing Gran Turismo 3 when I was 7. And it's not just Renault, it's most manufactures throughout Europe. The most we get is a few British manufactures... namely Jaguar and Aston Martin, because they're owned by Ford, and a large cluster fuck of cars from Germany from the big three. I think it's sad.

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
I'm thinking of possibly buying a Saab 9-2x (saabaru), Wrx, GTi, diesel jetta, 04 f150 lariat supercrew, 1st gen mustang, subaru legacy GT, and alot more

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
I'm thinking of possibly buying a Saab 9-2x (saabaru), Wrx, GTi, diesel jetta, 04 f150 lariat supercrew, 1st gen mustang, subaru legacy GT, and alot more

That's quite the list...

In my train, I'll bring up the closing of the legendary TVR. Another sad thing. I'll miss those guys.

Kangamutt

why ain't there no Renaults in North America?

We actually have some very strict automotive safety laws here compared to Europe. As well, much of the European auto market here was pretty much killed in the mid 70's when Ralph Nader's book "Unsafe at any Speed" came out, and new laws regarding the safety of cars in America were implemented. The only reason Fiat made it back across the Atlantic is because Chrysler went under so they bought them up and had them help make the 500 up to US DOT specs.

Of course I also hear that Alfa-Romeo is doing something with Mazda to get over here too, in turn for them helping to revamp their little Miata.

Edit: and for the most part, I'm pretty sure most other Americans are unaware the French even make cars at all. Although there's always that rare spotting of a Citroen DS, or 2CV every now and again.

Last edited:

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
That's quite the list...

In my train, I'll bring up the closing of the legendary TVR. Another sad thing. I'll miss those guys.

I know right, sucks how many car companies have closed. Speaking of british cars, I need to find a new tranny for a 76 spitfire.

T

TheMetalVelocity

Well, I plan on having a Peterbilt, probably a day cab or flat top sleeper, traditional styled long hood. I want a CAT 3406b engine installed with 8" straight stacks to make that puppy roar. Fucking love the jake.

Basically, something like this: http://bigtruckfindr.com/wp-content...M73H65E15F15H2d4f52d868e5cd441268-500x375.jpg Love this one a lot.

Or, this: http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/149/bb7dd375f7f944a4844daca37e02a0cf/l.jpg

If any of you don't know what straight pipes are, they are essentially metal exhaust pipes without the muffler. They can give you more horsepower, and they make the truck sound louder and more in your face. I suppose they sound a lot better than just taking the pipes off. I think they look a hell of a lot nicer than muffled stacks or trucks with stack covers on, depending on what cover I guess.

Kosdu

If you have a vehicle, get a muffler. The only excuse is if you never drive it in public, like a farm truck.

Otherwise, buy a damn muffler.

T

TheMetalVelocity

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheMetalVelocity

I'm not listening right now, maybe later.

Are they still loud as fuck like the annoying mustang in our neighbourhood?
No, the trucks actually have a roar. Diesel engines sound different than gas engines without a muffler.

Kosdu

No, the trucks actually have a roar. Diesel engines sound different than gas engines without a muffler.

Okay.... But is it still loud?

If so, it needs a muffler or only to be used in a more private place. The only excuse is if there is a SIGNIFIGANT impact in performance, not just because you want it to go a little faster.

T

TheMetalVelocity

If so, it needs a muffler or only to be used in a more private place. The only excuse is if there is a SIGNIFIGANT impact in performance, not just because you want it to go a little faster.
Depends on the engine, exhaust system, and the truck. It does make it louder for sure, but the loudness varies. I generally like the louder trucks.

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"

In turn, all vehicles with an Internal Combustion Engine are loud when you floor it. Some are louder than others, even with your foot pressed softly. When ever something is changed in the engine, or the exhaust manifold, the sound and loudness changes, as well as the performance figures. Every inch and ounce of power and torque counts to some.

Kosdu

In turn, all vehicles with an Internal Combustion Engine are loud when you floor it. Some are louder than others, even with your foot pressed softly. When ever something is changed in the engine, or the exhaust manifold, the sound and loudness changes, as well as the performance figures. Every inch and ounce of power and torque counts to some.

Makes sense. I just cannot comprehend those that care to make their vehicles loud, or buy those massively overpowered pickup trucks that are better suited to dragging tanks.

My car has a 501cc 4.9L engine I believe, which I have been told is very big. It is a great engine, gets my heavy ass smooth ride car where it needs to go as fast as I want it. I would, however, never remove the muffler because then I would quite literally loose a good chunk of my hearing and piss off everyone around me - like this jackass in our neighbourhood whose stupid new mustang is too damn loud.

There's no point in pissing off everyone else for a little more horsepower.

T

TheMetalVelocity

Makes sense. I just cannot comprehend those that care to make their vehicles loud, or buy those massively overpowered pickup trucks that are better suited to dragging tanks.

My car has a 501cc 4.9L engine I believe, which I have been told is very big. It is a great engine, gets my heavy ass smooth ride car where it needs to go as fast as I want it. I would, however, never remove the muffler because then I would quite literally loose a good chunk of my hearing and piss off everyone around me - like this jackass in our neighbourhood whose stupid new mustang is too damn loud.

I am not a big fan of pickups at all. I like the Peterbilts. Also, mufflers aren't good for the engine, and goes along with all the other benefits of not having a muffler that I listed. Obviously, it is blocking the exhaust in some way. Trucks without mufflers aren't as annoying as mustangs like you said, but it might be because I like the sound. Also, there is a difference between straight piping and just removing the muffler or exhaust. I think straight piping is just extending the metal tubing and the sound vibrates differently through it, obviously through extension of the noise going through. If there is one loud noise I hate, it's fucking motorcycles.

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"

True. There must be an exhaust on, because you legally have to implement one. Chances are he has a straight pipe exhaust, or a racing muffler. In which case, they do little to mask the engine loudness. But implementing a straight pipe or racing muffler can give as much as a 30 HP increase.

4.9L is big, yes. But my preference lies with low-volume sports cars, and Hi-Performance vehicles. Though, I always love a good pony car every now-and-then. Big engines, two doors, a cheap price, and little, to know concern for aerodynamics and handling.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I own a Porsche 977 turbo and she purrs like a walrus. I still have yet to open it up on the road. Still getting to know her. It drives a lot different than the car I had before.