• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FAF's Car & Autosports Tread

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Nice haha. Can't tell you how many rear ends and transfer case input shafts, and front ends I have broke. So what kind of motor build up? Like all out race motor, or mild build? I'm surprised your even running an automatic in the first place. I miss the days when every thing had the option for a standard.

Mild enough, 400 at the wheels would be nice, though from the 318 I've got that might end up being a stretch, at least a stretch to stay within CA legality. Honestly I'm keeping my ear to the ground hoping I can find a wrecked RT or SRT Charger or Challenger since you can get the engines from them for a song from most yards. As for the automatic tranny, wasn't my choice. The 318 Grand Cherokees only came with an auto so it was all I could get, and boy oh boy do I hate that fucking transmission... Thankfully, as mentioned before the NV3500 is a dead easy swap. Though if I end up getting one of the newer Hemi engines, I'll have to pair it with the newer manual tranny and will be stuck with 2wheel, but eh, for that kind of off road I want to do that will work well enough.

Bleedswhitefire

Bubba be addicted to 2 stroke
Mild enough, 400 at the wheels would be nice, though from the 318 I've got that might end up being a stretch, at least a stretch to stay within CA legality. Honestly I'm keeping my ear to the ground hoping I can find a wrecked RT or SRT Charger or Challenger since you can get the engines from them for a song from most yards. As for the automatic tranny, wasn't my choice. The 318 Grand Cherokees only came with an auto so it was all I could get, and boy oh boy do I hate that fucking transmission... Thankfully, as mentioned before the NV3500 is a dead easy swap. Though if I end up getting one of the newer Hemi engines, I'll have to pair it with the newer manual tranny and will be stuck with 2wheel, but eh, for that kind of off road I want to do that will work well enough.

Well now. 400rwhp is no laughing matter. I'm in the processe of building a 302 powered Toyota with about the same rwhp, maybe a little more. I'm so glad I'm in florida, no such thing as emission inspections. I have run open headers before and do not have to worry about it. Hell most truck down here run straights (no cats, no muffler, no problem) were I'm at. Why not run a full floating transfer case if the Hemi is the end choice haha.

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
Well now. 400rwhp is no laughing matter. I'm in the processe of building a 302 powered Toyota with about the same rwhp, maybe a little more. I'm so glad I'm in florida, no such thing as emission inspections. I have run open headers before and do not have to worry about it. Hell most truck down here run straights (no cats, no muffler, no problem) were I'm at. Why not run a full floating transfer case if the Hemi is the end choice haha.

Gee, you have it made for that stuff... the emissions standards are drastically strictening here. Up here, using straight-pipes are prohibited on road-going vehice, and it's required that a muffler is equipped. But in privacy, no one thing really matters.

Ames

it smells like dust and moon light
God, these fucking CA emission laws

I've gotta get my MR2 smogged before mid-september, bought a new b-pipe so I can chop up the old one and weld a cat to it. Hopefully that and a small roll of 20s will get my car through inspection.

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
God, these fucking CA emission laws

I've gotta get my MR2 smogged before mid-september, bought a new b-pipe so I can chop up the old one and weld a cat to it. Hopefully that and a small roll of 20s will get my car through inspection.

I had forgotten about the MR2. How has that thing been for you? Aside from the upcoming inspection.

asdfKBSmASH

I had a '99 3/4 ton Ford with a 7.3 in it, and I miss it all the time. It was going to be the best sleeper ever, spotted with surface rust, dented and swapped around left right and center. The #8 injector was giving me grief, and the glow plug relay was shot, but I loved that damned thing. The guy I bought it off of used it to push shit around the yard he worked in. He threw in a bumper for that, and no brackets were bent, replacement was pie :D

I even managed to run it out of fuel, and all it took was two jerry cans, a match-stick to open the vent on the fuel bowl, a few key-cycles and bam, back in action.

I was going to go the easy route: cold air, decent programmer (they recently issued a sexy real-time unit I seen in Diesel Power that would have been bitchin'), exhaust and re-piping the turbo. Simple and ultimate goal was to make it puke black. That would have been awesome.

BUT, the front left wheel bearing was going, and I figured it could handle a few more clicks, but it seized up. $4500 later, I figured it'd be better to sell it. I regret that. There was some impressive metal-on metal grooves going on, though. I bet that was 3.14159265

Last edited:

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
I had a '99 3/4 ton Ford with a 7.3 in it, and I miss it all the time. It was going to be the best sleeper ever, spotted with surface rust, dented and swapped around left right and center. The #8 injector was giving me grief, and the glow plug relay was shot, but I loved that damned thing. The guy I bought it off of used it to push shit around the yard he worked in. He threw in a bumper for that, and no brackets were bent, replacement was pie :D

I even managed to run it out of fuel, and all it took was two jerry cans, a match-stick to open the vent on the fuel bowl, a few key-cycles and bam, back in action.

I was going to go the easy route: cold air, decent programmer (they recently issued a sexy real-time unit I seen in Diesel Power that would have been bitchin'), exhaust and re-piping the turbo. Simple and ultimate goal was to make it puke black. That would have been awesome.

BUT, the front left wheel bearing was going, and I figured it could handle a few more clicks, but it seized up. $4500 later, I figured it'd be better to sell it. I regret that. There was some impressive metal-on metal grooves going on, though. I bet that was 3.14159265

Black smoke like a tractor... that's a first for me in terms of objectives.

On other automotive news, Chevy just put the new SS on their online catalog. Now we can order one for ourselves if we so choose. It starts at around $45,000.

Last edited:

Bleedswhitefire

The 7.3L is an amazing motor. I have seen them turn 500,000 miles and never look back. Bummer that you got rid of it. But I'm surprised as hell hat you had a 7.3 that didn't black smoke like crazy in the first place. The one I had, well, lets say that convertibles hated me. The only problem I've seen with the trucks that have the 7.3, is that the truck around the motor falls apart. You should be able to find another for dirt cheap if your going for an ultimate sleeper.

asdfKBSmASH

The 7.3L is an amazing motor. I have seen them turn 500,000 miles and never look back. Bummer that you got rid of it. But I'm surprised as hell hat you had a 7.3 that didn't black smoke like crazy in the first place. The one I had, well, lets say that convertibles hated me. The only problem I've seen with the trucks that have the 7.3, is that the truck around the motor falls apart. You should be able to find another for dirt cheap if your going for an ultimate sleeper.
That's totally the truth :p I seen a few crazy deals with low mileage on the truck itself--engine seized, bad pistons, head gasket or what have you--I wish I would have paid attention to the amount of 7.3l's for sale themselves, like you said, everything else stops before they stop cranking... Not to mention it takes a pile of abuse to coerce modules to throw a flag :p

Last edited:

Bleedswhitefire

So, saw something rather interesting.

A Toyota Tacoma (early, like a 04ish), with a Hemi (don't know what size, fucking huge though), a 700r4 (chevy trans), and Ford 9 front and rear axel set up. Some one has finally givin all the " X company sucks, Y company is the best" kind of people a giant middle finger. I didn't see this in person, the owner showed me pics of it.

Enyone else seen enything like this?

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"

A Toyota Tacoma (early, like a 04ish), with a Hemi (don't know what size, fucking huge though), a 700r4 (chevy trans), and Ford 9 front and rear axel set up. Some one has finally givin all the " X company sucks, Y company is the best" kind of people a giant middle finger. I didn't see this in person, the owner showed me pics of it.

Given that I watch drag racing on a normal basis, I can say that I have. once whn I was watching "Pass Time", someone brought in a Volkswagen with a Chevy Small-Block in it. The Shelby Cobra was basically a AC Ace chassis with a 427 cu. in. Ford V8 in it. but thats just the motor. I can't recall the last time I saw that much of a verity of parts in one vehicle. aside from typical tuner cars.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.

I've seen quite a few Frankensteins like that in all sorts of mix and match combos. They're fun to see, though I favor more the tiny japanese car + US smallblock V8 flavor of things. 302 240z. <3

Bleedswhitefire

I've seen quite a few Frankensteins like that in all sorts of mix and match combos. They're fun to see, though I favor more the tiny japanese car + US smallblock V8 flavor of things. 302 240z. <3

Know what's even better (well not really but it's still funny)? A 350'd, Nissan 350z. Totally pointless, but when you have the time and money I guess it's worth it.

Teach me about cars.

Get one. Make it fast. Become the best. Make it faster.

Know what's even better (well not really but it's still funny)? A 350'd, Nissan 350z. Totally pointless, but when you have the time and money I guess it's worth it.

Get one. Make it fast. Become the best. Make it faster.

Dude, a literal 350Z would be hilarious! Actually, that reminds me that I've heard of a couple Honda LS2000s. (That's a small Honda convertible with a Chevrolet LS1 small-block V8, for those that are unaware.)

Bleedswhitefire

Dude, a literal 350Z would be hilarious! Actually, that reminds me that I've heard of a couple Honda LS2000s. (That's a small Honda convertible with a Chevrolet LS1 small-block V8, for those that are unaware.)

That's one nasty combo. All that power (plus with just some mods) and I believe it still retains a 50/50 weight ratio. Or super close enyways. Could be wrong though.

suck squeeze bang blow

also, i will be doing an engine rebuild this fall, wish me luck on my first

That's for a four stroke. Now for a challenge. Try to explain in the simplest way, how a two stroke works.

And engine build details? Like detailed, details?

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Given that I watch drag racing on a normal basis, I can say that I have. once whn I was watching "Pass Time", someone brought in a Volkswagen with a Chevy Small-Block in it. The Shelby Cobra was basically a AC Ace chassis with a 427 cu. in. Ford V8 in it. but thats just the motor. I can't recall the last time I saw that much of a verity of parts in one vehicle. aside from typical tuner cars.

Actually the original AC Cobra were actually 260 and 289 cube motors, there were the ones that were quite successful in racing. The 427 Cobras suffered badly from poor weight distribution, a natural tendency to under-steer and and even worse tendency to power oversteer at the slightest application of power. They are largely from a racing stand point considered a failure.

Of course though there the most famous and well known version of the car because people like the idea of tiny roadster + huge cube motor.

EDIT: Two strokes work essentially the same way a 4 stroke does, except suck and blow happen in the same stroke followed by squeeze and bang happening in the same stroke. Piston goes down and charge exists from the exhaust port while entering from the intake at the same time, then squeeze bang repeat.

Last edited:

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
That's nothing. How about a rotary?

A rotary works the same way a four stroke does, except instead of strokes it's quarters of the rotor housing. Intake at open port, compress between rotor face and housing wall, ignite, push rotor face away from wall and exhaust. Fundamentally, it's still suck squeeze bang blow, except it happens in a rotating triangle instead of up and down.