• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FAF's Car & Autosports Tread

clandestein

Dash Coyote
\:3/
I think I've mentioned before in this thread, I've got a '90 300SE with nearly 294,000 miles on it. The other day I was thinking about letting it go in favor of a newer BMW 750iL with <100k on it, but I just couldn't bear to get rid of the old Nazi battlecruiser.

Nawww, never go from Mercedes to BMW. You will be disappointed.
Mercedes is the shiznit! I had an old '83 300SD that got up to 306,000 before we sold it. Might still be on the road today, who knows? But they last forever, and I love that about them. Plus, they're tanks.

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
He does.
Wow.
It would be punnier if the car were a Volkswagen Rabbit. c:
That would be very punny indeed. I found another "furry" bug, too.
And a jaguar (or is it leopard?) themed car.

Hey, if you guys could have any kind of car, what would it be? (In other words, your "dream car.")
I already have mine. XD Not much of a big dreamer.
I do want to restore my dad's Chevelle one day, though. That would be awesome. It's just been sitting around for years...
In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it being driven.

Bleedswhitefire

Bubba be addicted to 2 stroke
My dad did tell me that a lot of bugs he's seen practically had no floor, from all the rust. D: So I'm glad mine is not so bad!
Red and white? Do you mean red with white side panels/doors? I do like that look, but my dad's not a big fan of it (the white sides). I want him to agree with me on a color, since he'll probably be driving this car too.
I'll have a look at the factory colors and see if anything stands out to me.

You could always go solid red with one or two racing strips. Seems to look pretty good.

I'm a big rally and off road bike fan. Actually everything off road entertains me. My distant Uncle Hannes Grobler was a rally driver for Nissan back in his day and also drove trucks on the Dakar when the finish line was still in Dakar lol. Did marshalling at multiple rally races etc... I do off road bike and quad bike things as well here and there but don't own a motorcycle anymore. :(

I'm on the verge of buying a honda CR 450 even though I'm more of a Kawasaki person. I really liked the performance and handling on the CR.

Friends don't let friends ride Kawasaki :V

But I don't know about the the CR450. The Honda 450's (TRX and the CR) are some hard to start bikes. That and they love the bottom to mid rpm range, if that's what you like, cool. Why not the Yamaha YZF450. The new 2013's are supper balanced and love mid to upper rpm's. But when it comes to dirtbikes, I'll go KTM. Right now I have a KTM250XCW. Little thing well rip, and it's sooo light. But I'm more of a fourwheeler guy. Right now running a couple YFZ450's and TRX450er's. I like the Yamahas better. The suspension geometry feels better. That and the seat to handle bars position. But it mainly deals with how I ride.

Last edited:

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
Buell > ANY other motor cycle. Failing the ability to get a buell however, I'll take an VFR, one of the sub liter ones. The ones over 1L are fugly.

Kangamutt

This color looks really close to what we've got now. I was thinking of painting it something like this purple. Too much?

The bug isn't completely stock, I think. The tailpipes and rims are different, and the running boards are almost certainly not stock. Am I wrong to assume that normal running boards can take some weight? The ones on there currently seem pretty flimsy, just thin sheets of metal really. I'll try to take pictures of the car later, since I can't seem to find online examples of what it's got.

We are planning to lower it a bit. Not to the floor, though. My brother's Supra is pretty low, and it always scrapes the ground on bumps if he's not careful... And he's usually pretty careful. So I'm not sure how I'd fare with a very lowered car, especially since we live in a somewhat hilly area.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not much of a "loud car" person though. (Lame, I know.) My dad, on the other hand, loves that kind of stuff. I don't think he'd want to get a new motor though, after all the times he had to take this one out to finally fix it. It was leaking oil like crazy when we first got it... Probably used up more oil than gas! That stinger tailpipe is interesting, I've never seen a Beetle with that before... I can see how it got its name.

(...And another long post. D: )

That color should do. It's vibrant, but not a flashy custom car vibrant. As far as VW running boards, they never were known for taking much weight. But if you do remove them and fill in all the holes on the sides and chop off the mounting brackets, it might give it a nice look when lowered. But do get some pictures, I'd like to see for myself what's up. For lowering, just a little does enough. I had mine almost slammed, with a subtle rake. I scraped the crap out of the flange where my exhaust manifold and muffler bolted together going over speed bumps, hahaha. For a muffler, you can always go for a quiet, but still really good sounding one. I had one from Bugpack that tucks up into the right fender just behind the axle, and made my old 1600 sound pretty nice yet quiet. Or as quiet as an aircooled engine can get, anyway. And oil. Older European cars are pretty notorious for being oil drippers. My bug leaked, my Rover leaks even worse! Though putting on all new gaskets should stop a good lot of it.

My dream car is this: Alfa Romeo 159
Never going to attain it. But it's good to dream. :]
Ooooh, yes, the 159 is one sexy sedan indeed. Hopefully the 4C is received well enough that Alfa bothers to spec up their other models to US standards, the 159 especially.

Last edited:

Inpw

Roller Coaster Imagineer.
Friends don't let friends ride Kawasaki :V

Lol

But I don't know about the the CR450. The Honda 450's (TRX and the CR) are some hard to start bikes. That and they love the bottom to mid rpm range, if that's what you like, cool. Why not the Yamaha YZF450. The new 2013's are supper balanced and love mid to upper rpm's. But when it comes to dirtbikes, I'll go KTM. Right now I have a KTM250XCW. Little thing well rip, and it's sooo light. But I'm more of a fourwheeler guy. Right now running a couple YFZ450's and TRX450er's. I like the Yamahas better. The suspension geometry feels better. That and the seat to handle bars position. But it mainly deals with how I ride.

I'm a fan of low RPM torque when it comes to offroading but that's just me. Used to also ride a Honda XR 500 Thumper. Now that thing was difficult to start and it messed up my knee a couple of times when I forgot about the pressure release stroke.
For the 2 stroke KTM 250, I'm kinda scared of the power band those things throw out. You need to really know your bike to ride that thing with the throttle open cause it feels like there's a turbo kicking in at 5000 RPM.

Bleedswhitefire

I'm a fan of low RPM torque when it comes to offroading but that's just me. Used to also ride a Honda XR 500 Thumper. Now that thing was difficult to start and it messed up my knee a couple of times when I forgot about the pressure release stroke.
For the 2 stroke KTM 250, I'm kinda scared of the power band those things throw out. You need to really know your bike to ride that thing with the throttle open cause it feels like there's a turbo kicking in at 5000 RPM.

Wow. Xr500. Back in the day haha. But yea, you ought to like the Honda then.

But yea, that's what makes the KTM fun.

As for the topic of my dream car:
A rat rod. Don't really bother what make or model. Just pre 1930, and one I built or at least built half of. Make it look good though. Like really low, and super nasty big block. Look and sound like the devil himself is coming down the road.

So basically just a custom build of my own. You know, some thing I built.

Last edited:

mysticfyre

*Jaw drops*

WWWHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!! I gotta get a new car.

On a serious note, what kinda of 3000GT was it when you got it, and what generation is the Mustang. I like 3000GTs/GTOs. Despite being a bit of a heavyweight at over 3000 lbs., it's still a wonderful sports car. Even more so than the cheaper, better handling Lancer Evolution. But the Lancer Evolution is the only thing Mitsubishi has as far as a sports car, and I love it too, nonetheless. The raptor is a great truck, so use it well.

The 3000GT is the SL version. I had a 99 VR4 back in the day, but ended up selling it to put a down payment on a house. She has a list of upgrades too long to list, but nothing to make the car ricey! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/skyrocketneko/99 3000GT SL/DSC09262.jpg

The Mustang is a 2001,- I don't know what gen that is.. It's a nice convertible though!

The Raptor is the SVT- so the 6.2liter. So fast and growly!

Last edited:

Bleedswhitefire

The 3000GT is the SL version. I had a 99 VR4 back in the day, but ended up selling it to put a down payment on a house. She has a list of upgrades too long to list, but nothing to make the car ricey! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/skyrocketneko/99 3000GT SL/DSC09262.jpg

The Mustang is a 2001,- I don't know what gen that is.. It's a nice convertible though!

From the outside she looks like a realy red grocerie-go-geter haha. Bet that was a supper fun car though.

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
School's started up again for me, so I may not be able to work on the Bug as much as I'd like now. :c
Tuesday morning, my dad and I went to our local VW parts place (I feel lucky to have one so close by). We bought some pedal pads since mine are mostly bare metal (save for the brake, it isn't as worn out as the other two). We also got an emergency light knob for the dash since mine was missing. My dad hooked it up (we bought the box that connects to the wires, too), and only the left lights came on. :\ I guess we've got to double-check the wires or something.

We were going to order some carpet at the VW store too, but until we decide on a paint color, we're going to hold off on it for now. I think black carpet would match just about any color paint, though, no? There were also colors like burgundy, green, blue, yellow and silver, but I think black is the most "versatile" color for carpet.

I still need to decide on paint... I'm really leaning towards purple, but still keeping my eyes open for other interesting colors. The guy at the Beetle place told us to go to car shows to get ideas, but I haven't seen many bugs at our local one, and I have a hard time visualizing sometimes. ^^;
I also saw a beetle at the shop that was painted a really nice cream/beige color. Gave it a very refined and stately look, in my opinion. But I think I'd rather have my bug be something more "fun." Still was a great color, though.

I suppose the next steps are to fix those holes in the floor, get some insulation in there, paint what needs to be painted, and put down new carpet.

It seems like it's going to be slow for a while because of school, but hey, slow progress is still progress.

As for the topic of my dream car:
A rat rod. Don't really bother what make or model. Just pre 1930, and one I built or at least built half of. Make it look good though. Like really low, and super nasty big block. Look and sound like the devil himself is coming down the road.

So basically just a custom build of my own. You know, some thing I built.
Building a car sounds cool. Probably really challenging, but fun!

Nineteen-TwentySeven

Four Eyes; Zero Soul
School's started up again for me, so I may not be able to work on the Bug as much as I'd like now. :c
Tuesday morning, my dad and I went to our local VW parts place (I feel lucky to have one so close by). We bought some pedal pads since mine are mostly bare metal (save for the brake, it isn't as worn out as the other two). We also got an emergency light knob for the dash since mine was missing. My dad hooked it up (we bought the box that connects to the wires, too), and only the left lights came on. :\ I guess we've got to double-check the wires or something.

We were going to order some carpet at the VW store too, but until we decide on a paint color, we're going to hold off on it for now. I think black carpet would match just about any color paint, though, no? There were also colors like burgundy, green, blue, yellow and silver, but I think black is the most "versatile" color for carpet.

I still need to decide on paint... I'm really leaning towards purple, but still keeping my eyes open for other interesting colors. The guy at the Beetle place told us to go to car shows to get ideas, but I haven't seen many bugs at our local one, and I have a hard time visualizing sometimes. ^^;
I also saw a beetle at the shop that was painted a really nice cream/beige color. Gave it a very refined and stately look, in my opinion. But I think I'd rather have my bug be something more "fun." Still was a great color, though.
Horizon blue! The roof rack is also mandatory.
I've wanted a Beetle for so long. At one point I even found a very '56 oval up in Oregon that had already had all the cancer cut out and repaired, new pans, and was something like $800. Came with all the interior parts (which needed work), and was basically ready for paint and reassembly. I wanted it so badly, I already had planned I was going to paint it horizon blue with ivory on the sides, tastefully lower it a bit with body-color smoothies, chrome hubcaps, fit it with the 1600DP I've been working on for a while now, and I was considering a 5-speed freeway flier IRS trans. Unfortunately, we have way too many cars at the moment, and now over half of them are broken or in need of some refurbishment themselves, so another project car would've probably been the straw that broke the camels back. :(

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I was just informed I get to drive my friends dads stadium truck in a couple weeks. Damn I can't wait that long, I want it noooooow!

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
Horizon blue! The roof rack is also mandatory.
I've wanted a Beetle for so long. At one point I even found a very '56 oval up in Oregon that had already had all the cancer cut out and repaired, new pans, and was something like $800. Came with all the interior parts (which needed work), and was basically ready for paint and reassembly. I wanted it so badly, I already had planned I was going to paint it horizon blue with ivory on the sides, tastefully lower it a bit with body-color smoothies, chrome hubcaps, fit it with the 1600DP I've been working on for a while now, and I was considering a 5-speed freeway flier IRS trans. Unfortunately, we have way too many cars at the moment, and now over half of them are broken or in need of some refurbishment themselves, so another project car would've probably been the straw that broke the camels back. :(
Coincidentally, I'm pretty sure that's the color my bug was before it was red! I found light blue paint on the interior after taking out the carpet.
My car also happened to cost $800... But it isn't a '56. XD
I actually did see a flyer for a '56 Oval for sale at the bug shop. Was way more then $800 though...

What are "smoothies"? I haven't heard of this term before for cars.

I think we're reaching our limit on cars, too. There's twice as many cars as there are people here now, and half of those either don't work, or simply aren't driven... Although some of those cars are from friends and relatives who decided to dump them on us- I mean, keep them here until they can fix them. >:\

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
Wow, I've miss a lot. :/

Ah... you got the naturally-aspirated SL. Did you turbocharge it, or is it still NA?

An 01' Mustang would be a 5th-generation mustang. Good pick.

A couple days ago, one of my friends posted an article on Facebook about autonomous vehicles becoming publicly available in the near future. I understand that they have the potential to drastically reduce accidents and traffic jams, but I have mixed feelings about them. I enjoy driving, and I don't ever want to give up control of the car to the car itself. At that point, it is literally an appliance taking you from point A to point B rather than a car. Cars are somewhat of a sacred thing to me, so I won't allow it. That, and I believe that I'm a better driver than any car. That being said, the technology could eventually improve to the point that they drive better than me. Also, I have a pretty low opinion about the driving of society at large...so it might even be a change for the better if autonomous cars became more prevalent.

What are your thoughts on this?

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
A couple days ago, one of my friends posted an article on Facebook about autonomous vehicles becoming publicly available in the near future. I understand that they have the potential to drastically reduce accidents and traffic jams, but I have mixed feelings about them. I enjoy driving, and I don't ever want to give up control of the car to the car itself. At that point, it is literally an appliance taking you from point A to point B rather than a car. Cars are somewhat of a sacred thing to me, so I won't allow it. That, and I believe that I'm a better driver than any car. That being said, the technology could eventually improve to the point that they drive better than me. Also, I have a pretty low opinion about the driving of society at large...so it might even be a change for the better if autonomous cars became more prevalent.

When I was first learning to drive, I would have enjoyed the idea of a self-driving car. But now, I actually do like driving, and wouldn't want to give that up. When a car drives itself, it seems like it's no more than a private bus or something. I would also be worried about a malfunction that could cause a crash. I mean, we already have our cars malfunction occasionally as it is... Add all that extra tech to the car, and it seems that there's just more things that could go wrong.

Also, I think that the self-driving function would have to be optional, or able to be switched off. Why? Because a self-driving off-road truck would be pretty darn boring. XD

Bleedswhitefire

Seeing as I love to drive and race. I don't see an autonomous vehicle being able to pick a good line, when there aren't eny.

Kangamutt

I love the idea of it for something like commuting on painfully congested highways like I do. Stuck in something like that, I could be doing something like having breakfast (god, I forget what its like to have solid food in the morning) or catching a quick nap instead of having to focus on the tedious ways of stop-and-go traffic. I'd probably end up owning a second car with manual controls, one that I'd use for almost everything else, especially driving it for the sake of driving it. There really is a lot of ups and downs to either side of it, really. :T

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I just had to google what a stadium truck is, but it looks fun! You mean like in an actual competition?
No comp. We're going to the desert to play with it and with all their other toys. Been trying to get my dirtbike running to take with us, but it's been sitting around for 10 years so it needs a lot of work.

DrewlyYours

Buy the ticket, take the ride
I'm rockin a red 4.0, 99 jeep wrangler TJ, black soft top, 4" fabtech performance suspension lift, 33" 12.50 R15 BFG AT's on Mickey Thompson classic III polished alloy wheels, automatic transmission (im on my 3rd one, so this time I had some extra stuff done to it) with beefed up torque converter, shift kit, vent relocation, and external cooler, ring and pinion gear swap from 3.07 to 4.10 (It made a HUGE difference in the power gettin to the ground) Rugged ridge aftermarket header, throttle body spacer, K&N 9" cone air filter. I think that's it....soooo much money spent. Worth every cent so far.