• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FAF's Car & Autosports Tread

Bleedswhitefire

Bubba be addicted to 2 stroke
Originally posted by Torsion Beam
The Ranger is one thing I can give Ford. It's well survived the test of time, and it's a truck that's small enough to carry loads, and be practical when paroozing around the city. Toyota had a hook with their Tacoma, but nothing beats a Ranger. It not often that I say that, because I'm not a big truck person.

Other than the Mustang, the other thing I can give them is the GT40 of the 60s.

The Tacoma had nothing on the 1980's models toyota pickups. (Yes they were just called "pickup" back in the day) The 22r and re series were/are unbeatable and can't be killed.

Originally posted by Saylor
I just got my dead grandmother's 2006 Chrysler Sebring with less than 40k miles on it. The car drives GREAT!!! But, I was personally thinking about getting a drag car jut for fun too. I would like a to get a rolling chasis of a 87 mustang, put a supercharged Chevy big block in it, put a fresh pair of slicks on it, put wheelie bars on it, add roll cage, nitro injection, putting a stage 2-3 transmission on it. That thing would FLY!!!! But that is going to happen later on. I don't have the money to do that atm.

Chevy in a ford. Well now. Had someone tell me something one time. And I shall pass it to you. Mixing Chevrolet and Ford is like eating your sisters pussy, it may taste the same, but it's just not right. Haha.

Other thank that. What size big block? What gen? What would you do inside the motor? Why a supercharger? Wheelie bars, understandable. Nitros, nice. And why type of tranny? Manual or automatic? If manual, tremec and which one? If automatic, 700r4 or something else? If you say you are going to do this with a car, you might as well go into extreme detail haha.

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
I'd recommend either 4X4s (as in Jeep Wranglers, Geo Trackers), or small cargo trucks (as in Ford Rangers, and Toyota Tacomas).

My cousin has a 4 door tacoma and I really like it, it even has a wall power outlet in the bed which is pretty sweet. What do y'all think of honda ridgeline trucks, I love the compartment in the bed, dual action tailgate, and some more stuff. Also small enough it will work in city.

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
My cousin has a 4 door tacoma and I really like it, it even has a wall power outlet in the bed which is pretty sweet. What do y'all think of honda ridgeline trucks, I love the compartment in the bed, dual action tailgate, and some more stuff. Also small enough it will work in city.

The Honda Ridgeline I guess was one of those trucks that, although interesting, never sold or caught on well. In a way, it was like the Chevrolet Avalanche. It was small enough to drive around town in a practical manor, and yet boast adiquite compartment space. It's styling was also quite original compared to other trucks one could buy. In that sense, it's just another one of Honda's lovable creations that one simply can't say they don't like. Honda are usually always awsome.

S

Saylor

The Tacoma had nothing on the 1980's models toyota pickups. (Yes they were just called "pickup" back in the day) The 22r and re series were/are unbeatable and can't be killed.

Chevy in a ford. Well now. Had someone tell me something one time. And I shall pass it to you. Mixing Chevrolet and Ford is like eating your sisters pussy, it may taste the same, but it's just not right. Haha.

Other thank that. What size big block? What gen? What would you do inside the motor? Why a supercharger? Wheelie bars, understandable. Nitros, nice. And why type of tranny? Manual or automatic? If manual, tremec and which one? If automatic, 700r4 or something else? If you say you are going to do this with a car, you might as well go into extreme detail haha.

If it is just a rolling chasis, then the biggest concern I would have would be fitting the engine in it. Since it would be a drag cat, I wouldn't need too much of it to work. I would put a 456 cubic inch chevy big block in it. Run it on a 5 speed manual tremec transmission, increase the understeer on it so it will stay in a straighter line more. The supercharger would be so I could pull off the line as fast as I could. I'm thinking with the set up I would get on it, I would be running in excess of 1000bhp and unheard of amounts of torque. I think the 87 is a fourth gen mustang. I was avoiding going over people's heads and this is just an idea so far. When I get the car, I will start naming parts and dyno tests. ;)

DMAN14

The wettest wolf

We actually have one of those, can't believe its still running. Actually sounds good to. Isn't that the truck they tried to destroy on top gear?

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
We actually have one of those, can't believe its still running. Actually sounds good to. Isn't that the truck they tried to destroy on top gear?

It was a Toyota Hilux.

Toyota engines are always durable (as are Honda engines; something they are very reputed for), and can last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. As they say, most Camrys sold in the past 20 years are still on the road today, and that's not too unbelievable either.

I saw a second-gen Dodge Viper STR-10 today when I went shopping with my dad, a first-gen Ford Mustang Convertible and a Mazda MX-5 Miata (NB) at AutoZone, and a C5 Corvette Convertible on the way home. A good day today in my town.

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
I have never known what it was, its always just been the old toyota. I saw a good amount of nice cars this weekend. Few hot rods, 1st gen mustangs, vintage bugs, some newer nice cars, and alot of cars from around the 1950's that I didn't recognize.

Nineteen-TwentySeven

Four Eyes; Zero Soul
I feel the same way whenever I see or hear about someone dropping a 1 or 2JZ into an old Benz or Beemer. The thing may do an 11 second 1/4 mile, but it just doesn't seem right.
Besides, I've seen people make 600HP on a 30-year-old factory Benz 3L straight-6. :cool:

Edit: Excuse me, 650HP.

Last edited:

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
Bleedswhitefire said:

Nineteen-TwentySeven said:
I feel the same way whenever I see or hear about someone dropping a 1 or 2JZ into an old Benz or Beemer. The thingmay do an 11 second 1/4 mile, but it just doesn't seem right. Besides, I've seen people make 600HP on a 30-year-old factory Benz 3Lstraight-6.

I suppose I'll agree as well. When I think about tuning, I thinks it's best to leave the car's factory-supplied engine in it, as well as other parts of the car. If you're gonna swap something, it best be aftermarket parts made for the car. And if you are gonna swap the engine, make it an engine made by the manufacture, or affiliated manufacture. It keeps the ride in their family.

I suppose I'll agree as well. When I think about tuning, I thinks it's best to leave the car's factory-supplied engine in it, as well as other parts of the car. If you're gonna swap something, it best be aftermarket parts made for the car. And if you are gonna swap the engine, make it an engine made by the manufacture, or affiliated manufacture. It keeps the ride in their family.

I was talking with one of my gearhead friends just the other day, and we were pondering what the most offensive engine swap would be. He said putting a 4 cylinder Honda VTEC (like the one in my car) in a Ferrari. Any Ferrari, doesn't matter. I said put a NA Wankel in a Mustang. Again, any Mustang. I think either of those would be more cringe-worthy than a Chevy big block in a Ford chassis, but that still doesn't make it right.

C

chipmunk

Okay seriously? Sorry if I broke up anyone's conversations or anything but WOW! I didn't know FAF even had anything motorsports related until now. 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi owner right here!! :3

Edit: I just saw one of the first posts asking people the fastest they've gotten their cars to go. Well...the STI's of these years (not sure if all?) had a speed limiter that electronically limited the car to 155 mph. Well, we removed the speed limiter and... ~179 mph was my best to date on the stock 6 speed tranny. >:) (YES, I WAS ON A CLOSED COURSE!)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Saylor

Okay, so this may sound ridiculous and none of you may believe me. But, I am speaking the truth in my next story...

So, here it is: I went to high school with Jaskson Murray who is Bill Murray's youngest son. We were pretty close friends and he is a really nice guy, but I thought Bill was kinda an ass. But, I understood because he broke up with his wife even when he loved her to death. But, the other day I was planning to go to the beach with Jackson and he got to borrow his dad's car. He pulls up in a Porsche Carrera GT!! So, we go to the island and decide to not go to the beach, but instead we drive it around town. I drove it around and that thing is SO SICK!!! By far the best car I have driven. It handles so easily! It is kinda hard to get the right speed going and stay under the speed limit in that thing, but then again it also has a monster V10 in the back and over 500 hp coming straight through the wheels. I never got any photos of it and we kinda didn't want his dad finding out about us borrowing his super car. But, at least I can say I drove Bill Murray's Porsche! :p

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny

My mate has a 87 toyota pickup with king suspension, also in europe they were called a hilux.

Okay seriously? Sorry if I broke up anyone's conversations or anything but WOW! I didn't know FAF even had anything motorsports related until now. 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi owner right here!! :3

Edit: I just saw one of the first posts asking people the fastest they've gotten their cars to go. Well...the STI's of these years (not sure if all?) had a speed limiter that electronically limited the car to 155 mph. Well, we removed the speed limiter and... ~179 mph was my best to date on the stock 6 speed tranny. >:) (YES, I WAS ON A CLOSED COURSE!)

Nice! I'll bet that was fun as hell...

Okay, so this may sound ridiculous and none of you may believe me. But, I am speaking the truth in my next story...

So, here it is: I went to high school with Jaskson Murray who is Bill Murray's youngest son. We were pretty close friends and he is a really nice guy, but I thought Bill was kinda an ass. But, I understood because he broke up with his wife even when he loved her to death. But, the other day I was planning to go to the beach with Jackson and he got to borrow his dad's car. He pulls up in a Porsche Carrera GT!! So, we go to the island and decide to not go to the beach, but instead we drive it around town. I drove it around and that thing is SO SICK!!! By far the best car I have driven. It handles so easily! It is kinda hard to get the right speed going and stay under the speed limit in that thing, but then again it also has a monster V10 in the back and over 500 hp coming straight through the wheels. I never got any photos of it and we kinda didn't want his dad finding out about us borrowing his super car. But, at least I can say I drove Bill Murray's Porsche! :p

That would be epic! Also, sounds like you should post that here: http://www.billmurraystory.com

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"

I hear that was the case for Mercedes-Benz vehicles for a while. They made a gentleman's agreement with someone or another that their cars would not exceed 155 MPH, regardless of power output, or other powertrain aspects. It's sorta in the same leaugue as Japanese Domestic Market cars (JDM), which in some point in time, always rolled off the line with 280 PS (roughly 276 HP). But this point in time was considered by some to be a golden age for Japanese sports cars as a whole. It was especially the case for Mazda's RX-7 (The world's most prominent rotary-powered sports car line), and Nissan's Skyline GT-R (Considered one of Japan's most innovative automobiles).

Though I was surprised when I heard 179 was the top speed. That's good for a four-door, flat-engined sports car.

Saylor said:

So, here it is: I went to high school with Jaskson Murray who is Bill Murray's youngest son. We were pretty close friends and he is a really nice guy, but I thought Bill was kinda an ass. But, I understood because he broke up with his wife even when he loved her to death. But, the other day I was planning to go to the beach with Jackson and he got to borrow his dad's car. He pulls up in a Porsche Carrera GT!! So, we go to the island and decide to not go to the beach, but instead we drive it around town. I drove it around and that thing is SO SICK!!! By far the best car I have driven. It handles so easily! It is kinda hard to get the right speed going and stay under the speed limit in that thing, but then again it also has a monster V10in the back and over 500 hp coming straight through the wheels. I never got any photos of it and we kinda didn't want his dad finding out about us borrowing his super car. But, at least I can say I drove Bill Murray's Porsche! :p

That's a wonderful story. Carrera GTs are so rare (only 500 were made), one is pretty lucky to just drive one, let alone own it.

Last edited:
C

chipmunk

I hear that was the case for Mercedes-Benz vehicles for a while. They made a gentleman's agreement with someone or another that their cars would not exceed 155 MPH, regardless of power output, or other powertrain aspects. It's sorta in the same leaugue as Japanese Domestic Market cars (JDM), which in some point in time, always rolled off the line with 280 PS (roughly 276 HP). But this point in time was considered by some to be a golden age for Japanese sports cars as a whole. It was especially the case for Mazda's RX-7 (The world's most prominent rotary-powered sports car line), and Nissan's Skyline GT-R (Considered one of Japan's most innovative automobiles).

Though I was surprised when I heard 179 was the top speed. That's good for a four-door, flat-engined sports car.

I've actually heard I could've gone more, I had maybe 500 rpm to go until I would've hit the rev limiter, and I've heard other top speeds up to 185 mph. It was absolutely amazing going that fast, but also terrifying as hell. I couldn't stop giggling until maybe 10 minutes after I was done. I hope to mod it to 400++awhp in the future.

C

chipmunk

Okay everyone, yeah, I know it's another one of those 'what do I do?' posts, but...please bear with me on this one...

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon manual 5 speed, with 124,950 miles on it now, and...long story short, I'm only 17, and knew next to nothing about buying cars, and I ended up purchasing this car from a dealer, we paid $200 for an entire 'lookover' of the car. They said they pulled everything, checked everything out up and down the car, and said it was a steal at $4,500 with 123,700 miles. So, I managed to get the guy talked down to $4,100, and he agreed. So, that day, August 7th, 2012 to be specific, I had my first car. Now, I worked my A** off for that car. That's about four months worth of HARD work for me, and this car was my pride and joy, and I fell in love with it as soon as I had gotten it. So anyway, we test drove the car, everything ran amazing, everything was strong, extremely clean, and well-maintained. (Or so it appeared...) So, all I did was get into my car, (with my parents following), and I was going to leave the dealer, and I just put it into first, eased off the clutch nicely, and my parents said they saw a huge dark blue cloud belch from the exhaust pipe. They flashed me with their lights and I pulled over at a gas station a mile from the dealer, and stopped. My parents told me what they saw and it immediately scared the hell out of me. Now, I'm not a newb to stick-shift, I have 2,500 miles of practice on a HARD Chevy truck clutch, so I didn't run my car hard at all...We tried fighting the dealership but yada, yada, long story short, we got $750.00 back and a waiver that we couldn't come after them again. We reluctantly accepted. Fast forward to this morning; I was heading up the hill to go to school with my brother and his friend, and I noticed my car belching, and I mean BELCHING blue smoke, and knocking really, really loud. (It's had a knock since about 15 miles after getting it from the dealership.) And my clutch is failing me. It started slipping really bad under normal driving in third. The car needs a new engine, clutch, new struts, tires, brakes...the works. Now, my question: Do I sell the car and get something that's in better working condition? Or do I fix it? Non-judgmental or critical help would be greatly appreciated... (This car is my daily driver, and the STi is my occasional racecar.)

Car Fox

Formally "Torsion Beam"
chipmunk said:
I've actually heard I could've gone more, I had maybe 500 rpm to go until I would've hit the rev limiter, and I've heard other top speeds up to 185 mph. It was absolutely amazing going that fast, but also terrifying as hell. I couldn't stop giggling until maybe 10 minutes after I was done. I hope to mod it to 400++awhp in the future.

chipmunk said:
You bet it was!!! I was shaking and giggling by the end.

chipmunk said:
Okay everyone, yeah, I know it's another one of those 'what do I do?' posts, but...please bear with me on this one...

Ihave a1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon manual 5 speed, with 124,950 miles on it now, and...long story short, I'm only 17, and knew next to nothing about buying cars, and I ended up purchasing this car from a dealer, we paid $200 for an entire 'lookover' of the car. They saidthey pulled everything,checked everything out up and down the car,and said it was a steal at $4,500 with 123,700 miles. So, I managed to get the guy talked down to $4,100, and he agreed. So, that day, August 7th, 2012 to be specific, I had my first car. Now, I worked my A** off for that car. That's about four months worth of HARD work for me,and this car was my pride and joy, and I fell in love with it as soon as I had gotten it. So anyway,we test drove the car, everything ran amazing, everything was strong, extremely clean, and well-maintained. (Or so it appeared...) So,all I did was get into my car, (with my parents following), and I was going to leave the dealer, and I just put it into first, eased off the clutch nicely, and my parents said they saw a huge dark blue cloud belch from the exhaust pipe. They flashed me with their lights and I pulled over at a gas station a mile from the dealer, and stopped. My parents told me what they saw and it immediately scared the hell out of me. Now, I'm not anewb to stick-shift, I have 2,500 miles of practice on a HARD Chevy truck clutch, so I didn't run my car hard at all...We tried fighting the dealership but yada, yada, long story short, we got $750.00 back and a waiver that we couldn't come after them again. We reluctantly accepted. Fast forward to this morning; I was heading up the hill to go to school with my brother and his friend, and I noticed my car belching, and I mean BELCHING blue smoke, and knocking really, really loud. (It's had a knock since about 15 miles after getting it from the dealership.) And my clutch is failing me. It started slipping really bad under normal driving in third. The car needs anew engine, clutch,new struts, tires, brakes...the works. Now, my question: Do I sell the car and get something that's in better working condition? Or do I fix it? Non-judgmental or critical help would be greatly appreciated... (This car is my daily driver, and the STi is my occasional racecar.)

All very nice, but I don't think the mods or admins will like like double or triple posting. They consider it spamming. I'll get to answering your question later

Bleedswhitefire

Bubba be addicted to 2 stroke

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon manual 5 speed, with 124,950 miles on it now, and...long story short, I'm only 17, and knew next to nothing about buying cars, and I ended up purchasing this car from a dealer, we paid $200 for an entire 'lookover' of the car. They said they pulled everything, checked everything out up and down the car, and said it was a steal at $4,500 with 123,700 miles. So, I managed to get the guy talked down to $4,100, and he agreed. So, that day, August 7th, 2012 to be specific, I had my first car. Now, I worked my A** off for that car. That's about four months worth of HARD work for me, and this car was my pride and joy, and I fell in love with it as soon as I had gotten it. So anyway, we test drove the car, everything ran amazing, everything was strong, extremely clean, and well-maintained. (Or so it appeared...) So, all I did was get into my car, (with my parents following), and I was going to leave the dealer, and I just put it into first, eased off the clutch nicely, and my parents said they saw a huge dark blue cloud belch from the exhaust pipe. They flashed me with their lights and I pulled over at a gas station a mile from the dealer, and stopped. My parents told me what they saw and it immediately scared the hell out of me. Now, I'm not a newb to stick-shift, I have 2,500 miles of practice on a HARD Chevy truck clutch, so I didn't run my car hard at all...We tried fighting the dealership but yada, yada, long story short, we got $750.00 back and a waiver that we couldn't come after them again. We reluctantly accepted. Fast forward to this morning; I was heading up the hill to go to school with my brother and his friend, and I noticed my car belching, and I mean BELCHING blue smoke, and knocking really, really loud. (It's had a knock since about 15 miles after getting it from the dealership.) And my clutch is failing me. It started slipping really bad under normal driving in third. The car needs a new engine, clutch, new struts, tires, brakes...the works. Now, my question: Do I sell the car and get something that's in better working condition? Or do I fix it? Non-judgmental or critical help would be greatly appreciated... (This car is my daily driver, and the STi is my occasional racecar.)

Well, if you need some advice you need some advice haha.
Me personally, I like to rebuild vehicles. Bigger, better, faster. But ok give you a break down of projected prices for everything.

The motor is going to cost about $500 to $1000. The clutch, for OEM replacement, about $150. Struts if it just has two up front probably $200 if it's four then maybe $300. Tires, for a good set that you'll get your money out of, about $600. Breaks, that's easy, about $100, if you just need pads. If it's calipers on just the front then you'll be looking at $180 if it's four calipers, expect $250. Then plugs, wires, cap (if it has a distributor), air filter would be another $150. If it has a coil per plug then have fun, it's pricy. About $40 to $120 a peace. So if you add all that up. Couple relaxed days of work.

Possible $2500 to $3500 rough estimate. And that's if you do the work your self. If you put it in a shop I believe it's $80 (that's about, it's been a while since I put something in a shop, which is why I do it myself) an hour.

Think of it this way, sell it for I don't know maybe $1500 and get something else, something NOT at a used dealer ship. Or put upwards of $3500 into it and have yourself something you know is dependable. Me, I'd price a motor first, if it's above $1500 for a low mileage one, get a new ride. But I'd rebuild it, see what power I could get out of it. And don't try to rebuild the motor, if it's knocking like an elf is hitting it with a hammer, it's not worth it haha.