• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FAF's Transmission of Choice?

What type of transmission do you prefer driving?

• Total voters

Night-san

Manual plzkthx. I prefer the greater control I have over the car.

greg-the-fox

Automatic. I like to eat in the car, what of it? Come at me bro!
Also 90% of my driving is in traffic. I suppose if you lived somewhere rural with nice winding roads, a manual would be awesome. Commuting for 40 minutes in stop/go suburban traffic sucks balls already, would be complete hell in a manual. I dont have the time or gas money to go drive for fun. My car is a tool to get me from A to B.

Last edited:

ObsidianLaughter

HI GUYYYYYYYYYYYS
Also 90% of my driving is in traffic. I suppose if you lived somewhere rural with nice winding roads, a manual would be awesome. Commuting for 40 minutes in stop/go suburban traffic sucks balls already, would be complete hell in a manual.

This is a good excuse. The few times I hit nasty traffic, my left foot begins to hurt like hell from all of the shifting, so I can definitely see why you wouldn't want to use a stick here.

E-brake trick ftw :V

Good way to rip your clutch and wear the E-brake, though I see that sarcasm face here.. XD

Ames

it smells like dust and moon light
Good way to rip your clutch and wear the E-brake, though I see that sarcasm face here.. XD

Yeah it's good when you're just starting to learn, so you don't slam into the cars behind you during uphill traffic. But once you get the hang of the "feel" of the clutch, you don't need it anymore.

Nineteen-TwentySeven

Four Eyes; Zero Soul
It's really a hard choice for me, because I love the feeling and control of rowing through the gears in my '74 Alfa Romeo (The grinding I get occasionally from a bad 2nd gear is not too pleasant), but I also like being able to sit back and enjoy a cruise in air conditioned German comfort.
So really it's a matter of what kind of car I'm driving. If I want to have fun, I'll rock a stick. If I want to be lazy, I'll rock a slush. It's not that important to me anymore. (I used to be all fuck auto stick ftw, and then I bought a Benz.)

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
I like stick and column shift manual transmissions, but I burn out clutches way too easily. I'm essentially forced by my need to have an affordably maintainable car to drive automatics.

asdfKBSmASH

There seems to be this general sentiment that expressing you like doing something that some others haven't learned how to do automatically equates to gloating, and it's really weird
Because it's nothing special... Mess around in a parking lot for a few hours and you're set. You're going to stall at first, but it's really not some endeavor to take on.
column shift manual transmissions
You've got more patience than me :/

Ames

it smells like dust and moon light
Man, FAF... No love for semi-automatics? I was expecting them to be a lot more popular :<

The_Mask

Sly Cooper be sexy
Roose Hurro said:

Well I somehow skimmed past that. Ok, so a semi-auto transmission according to the all-knowing-pedia is a manual transmission that removes the necessity of having to press a clutch. A paddle shift or similar set-up. In that case, that VW DSG transmission you linked to is actually an automatic transmission, as the driver doesn't control the current gear, but based off of the principals of a manual transmission.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Because it's nothing special... Mess around in a parking lot for a few hours and you're set. You're going to stall at first, but it's really not some endeavor to take on

Therefore why would it be interpreted as bragging?

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
This reminds me of a news story recently. An old man was convicted because he mounted the sidewalk and ran over a teenage girl killing her. His reason was "I accidently hit the throttle and not the brake" Seriously? He was driving an automatic, it only has two fucking pedals how the fuck can you mix the two up?

and why is it always the old farts that seem to mix up the pedals? Not once have I ever heard of a younger driver "mixing up" the two pedals. Every time it's been an elderly driver.

Edit: I'd drive either, I'm not fussy. I'd prefer an automatic for city/town driving because other3wise you have to almost constantly shift gear manually in a manual. Though for distance driving I'd opt for a manual. One advantage of an automatic is that it's one less thing to think about while driving thus more of your concentration can be put onto the road.

Last edited:

Ad Hoc

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
and why is it always the old farts that seem to mix up the pedals? Not once have I ever heard of a younger driver "mixing up" the two pedals. Every time it's been an elderly driver.
Ahaha I did that once. It was only my third time driving or something, though, and I never did it again.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
automatic

one less thing to worry about when driving

i was always that one kid who sacrificed fun for safety anyway

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
I can understand learners doing it, but "experienced" drivers?
I don't think there is such a thing. Unless you've braved driving through every weather event and driven in every terrain in your lifetime.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
Well I somehow skimmed past that. Ok, so a semi-auto transmission according to the all-knowing-pedia is a manual transmission that removes the necessity of having to press a clutch. A paddle shift or similar set-up. In that case, that VW DSG transmission you linked to is actually an automatic transmission, as the driver doesn't control the current gear, but based off of the principals of a manual transmission.

Actually, the driver does... if they want to. Most "semi-auto" transmissions have both a manual and "auto" mode. The only semi-auto trans I encountered that had no auto mode was the one Toyota made available in the MR2 Spyder, just before they killed it. That particular sequential trans had to be shifted manually, or it would just peg at the redline. Though it was nice enough to shift into first automatically after you came to a stop.

ObsidianLaughter

HI GUYYYYYYYYYYYS
automatic

one less thing to worry about when driving

i was always that one kid who sacrificed fun for safety anyway

Funny statement, that, seeing as how most accidents on record are caused by idiots on their cell phone or not paying attention to another aspect while driving. Manual transmissions prevent the ability to talk/text on a cell phone (unless you are REALLY flipping good at multitasking), which seems to be safer.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
Funny statement, that, seeing as how most accidents on record are caused by idiots on their cell phone or not paying attention to another aspect while driving. Manual transmissions prevent the ability to talk/text on a cell phone (unless you are REALLY flipping good at multitasking), which seems to be safer.

Thats bullshit. a majority of cars over here are manual transmission and people STILL manage to fiddle with the radio, talk on a cell phone and text with a cell phone, read the paper, do their make up etc etc etc.