• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

fallout 3 out today yay

Teco

Informal Formalist
And I heard it's awsome.. It's Oblivion with guns, but still. Pure greatness.

Also, no no no, not Oblivion with guns. Its Fallout with the perfect developer to carry out its continuation.

CerberusWhitefur

A Hungarian Idiot
Also, no no no, not Oblivion with guns. Its Fallout with the perfect developer to carry out its continuation.

Don't misunderstand me, it's great. But! Let me quote the creator of Ctrl+Alt+Del:

"Let me just get this out of the way, it's nearly impossible to not see Oblivion in this game. It's the same engine, and it shows. If there are flaws with Oblivion that bugged you (NPCs acting odd, scripted and bizarre physics mishaps), you may see them here, to a lesser extent. But it's also not that hard to forget that it's the same engine for most of the game, as it is wrapped so well in a very authentic Fallout skin."

Teco

Informal Formalist
Well to quote someone who's played the game for a good couple of hours... Also, no no no, not Oblivion with guns. ^^; *punched*
I found the fatman. I lawl with power!

Eevee

Banned
Banned
Well, that's not very nice, I like his comic :p
argh his comic is a vain attempt at comedy squashed under a thick slathering of destructive explanation and gratuitous reaffirmation that he is astoundingly pompous about his self-aggrandized status as Some Guy Who Plays Vidya Games

lol wacky random dumb guy likes games and goes on crazy adventures about how important gamers are!!!

it is so trite and bland it makes me angry

And by the way, what he writes here is true, I just can't draft it in english as well as he do =3
but what he's saying has nothing to do with "oblivion with guns". the quirks of the engine don't make me feel like I'm playing Oblivion any more than crouch-jumping in Portal: Prelude makes me feel like I'm playing Half-Life 2 (but with portals!). in fact the only thing I have heard so far that gives this mantra any credit whatsoever is that NPCs' movement is a bit stilted. I fail to see how this inherently makes the games comparable.

the engine is, if anything, an obstacle between you and a game: it is one of the two sources of limitations on game functionality. the engine being obvious does not make two games similar. quake 4 was not doom 3, even though the way the surfaces shine is a constant reminder that you are playing on id tech 4.

Last edited:

Kyoujin

SOCK GOES WHAR?
Got the Collector's Edition at midnight when it came out. I love it. ;x Amazing game. There's only a few things I think I'd change, like.. being able to buy a house as well as being able to earn it, instead of just having to earn it. I really wanted a place in Tenpenny Tower, but since I disarmed the bomb.. I got stuck elsewhere, but ah well. Not like it really matters. xD

And yeah, it's not like Oblivion, really. I mean, yeah in ways I feel like it is sometimes, mostly just with some of the ragdoll physics, but that's about it. It's a damn good game, whether you feel like it's Oblivion or not.

Zpyder

I just got the game a couple days ago and I can't believe how incredible it is! I've never played any of the other Fallout games however though I don't think it hinders the development of the plot which is very gruesomely detailed. I however do think it plays a lot like the Elderscroll series and it even has the same type of bugs like object collision errors, weird lighting engine graphic problems (has that happened to anyone yet? When I was playing different planes in game bursted in odd yellow and purple colors and depending on my position it changed a lot) , and the fact that the character animations are sort of poorly done. Other then that, seems to be really great!

Teco

Informal Formalist
I just got the game a couple days ago and I can't believe how incredible it is! I've never played any of the other Fallout games however though I don't think it hinders the development of the plot which is very gruesomely detailed. I however do think it plays a lot like the Elderscroll series and it even has the same type of bugs like object collision errors, weird lighting engine graphic problems (has that happened to anyone yet? When I was playing different planes in game bursted in odd yellow and purple colors and depending on my position it changed a lot) , and the fact that the character animations are sort of poorly done. Other then that, seems to be really great!

I havent gotten any lighting problems or any of the stated for the matter, yet, although I do know there should be, its a massive playing world, The one thing that seemed to be fixed in Oblivion was getting stuck, in this, I've gotten stuck between fences and gorebags once or twice and had to reload, but that wasnt tooooo much of a problem, although in worst case I can see it being a big problem. Animation are indeed shotty...maybe they'll improve in Fallout4, if that happens, it probably should, I'd get it.

J

Jelly

Can't tell if serious. :\

The game is fun enough, and I probably like it more than Oblivion because I like some of the art design and main quest level design choices (okay, so I'm a post-apoc-fag, I can't help it; plus I like the robots c:).

...but it's still a whole lot of nothing, with really bad AI. And it really is Oblivion with Guns, srsly. :c
(I guess I should clarify this statement, because I know people be hatin' on it now.)
It's Oblivion with Guns because:
Hand-holding (click a note, unclick - you found the prize, map markers leading you everywhere, invulnerable mission NPCs)
Leveling system that results in every raider carrying a high powered machine gun by about level 9, and by level 20 they all have perfect condition armor and weapons and can take a blow to the face without being crippled (in many places)
Super Mutants, Super Mutant Brutes, Super Mutant Masters (Skeleton, Skeleton Hero, Skeleton Guardian) which appear at level-appropriate times (most every enemy has a levelled-up version)
Outfits are enchanted (sigh)
Lockpicking is a mini-game
Hacking is a mini-game
Weapons degrade (less of a serious concern, just for comparison's sake)
You can call someone a shit-eating cunt, and then say you're their friend, and usually they'll be agreeable
You can play every role at once if you've got a nice coat
Compass letting you know where everything is
You can be a vampire, DURRR

How it is not like Oblivion:
Actual conversation trees (including unusual traits unlocking dialogue, and SPECIAL standings)
Animation isn't nearly as bad as in Oblivion, and at times seems decent (the vertibirds are pretty well animated)
VATS (although, usefulness is arguable)
Ranged weaponry has random accuracy
To access minigames you have to have skills at a certain level (Very Easy <25, Easy 25, Average 50, etc.)
Save for NPCs central to the main quest and children - you can kill most named NPCs.

It strikes me more as a mod than a separate game. I'm probably just a jaded asshole.

I also wished they would've had the Fallout 2 thing where if you had an intelligence of less than 3, your character was actually retarded; to the point where all you could say to most things was "UNKH?"

It seems like Megaton is the deepest part of the game, and everything hits the shitter pretty much immediately afterwards.

Third run-through. I'm going through as a black guy with mutton chops (Butcher Pete), everytime the song Butcher Pete comes on I have to stop and kill everything around me with a knife. You get a real sense of how bad the AI is by doing this. You should try it anyways, it's pretty fun.

GARY GARY GAR-EEE HAW HAW HAW (this game actually kind of blows :c)

Also, I absolutely hate the super mutants in this game. What happened to the pulp-y comic look of the Hulk? Now they just look like a pile of steroids went ape-shit on a brick shithouse. This game has some serious troubles trying to find itself amongst "I'm STALKER - I'm what the apocalypse would look like, gritty realism :V" and "I'm Bioshock - I'm a ridiculous time-piece, but an artistic tour-de-force."

Now that I'm railing on the game, its hard for me to find the off switch; but one more thing. Aside from the problems I had with their interpretation of "dark humor," there is one thing that was difficult to swallow. This game really tried to mesh near-post-apocalyptic drama with far-post-apocalyptic storylines. Am I the only one who was really bothered by things like the Keller family transcripts or the radio stations leading to drainage systems? Its like I was straddling two distinct character-worlds. I mean, its pretty heavily implied when you're strolling through a weirdly intact DC that it is, in fact, DC. It relies on your built-in knowledge. However, its been 200 years, I don't see it that important to care about the world past, but the world now. It seems a bit ironic considering where Fallout 2 went with its ending, and what Fallout 1 presented you in a game world.

Also, the ending, to be frank - is blowful and arbitrary. Especially if you're playing nice-nice.

PS: Did anyone take the chance and blow up the Sat-Com arrays? It's completely optional and I stumbled across it - just wondering if anyone else has picked that up yet (I haven't seen anyone mention it anywhere).

Last edited by a moderator:

lilEmber

Small Dragon
I've been playing it now for almost 3 days straight. I can tell you it's not a FPS, it's not oblivion with guns, it's nothing like oblivion actually...

It is fallout. Period.

This game is literally the best RPG I've played in a long damn time.
It's nothing like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It's nothing like any other RPG I've played, I love it.

There is so much to do, it's so emersive, it's got every option and thing and choice that I would actually choose, it's like a game and I'm playing me in it, just in the future post apocalyptic me.

Anybody who says it's oblivion with guns either didn't play oblivion or hasn't actually played Fallout 3. Or doesn't know how to play a game...

Oh and the humor is fallout, you might want to play the other games because it is a M rated game and the dark humor is a part of it. I love it.

Last edited:
J

Jelly

I've been playing it now for almost 3 days straight. I can tell you it's not a FPS, it's not oblivion with guns, it's nothing like oblivion actually...

It is fallout. Period.

This game is literally the best RPG I've played in a long damn time.
It's nothing like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It's nothing like any other RPG I've played, I love it.

There is so much to do, it's so emersive, it's got every option and thing and choice that I would actually choose, it's like a game and I'm playing me in it, just in the future post apocalyptic me.

Anybody who says it's oblivion with guns either didn't play oblivion or hasn't actually played Fallout 3. Or doesn't know how to play a game...

Oh and the humor is fallout, you might want to play the other games because it is a M rated game and the dark humor is a part of it. I love it.

I've beaten it twice.
I've also visited every location on the map, and those not on the map.

No offense, but it's not:
a) an RPG (because your ability to shoot a gun can supercede your character's ability to shoot a gun, or hack, or lockpick, etc etc)
b) Fallout
c) if it were an RPG, it would, frankly, be a terrible one because you can go around blowing peoples heads off (oh noes, ur a bad guy) and give some beggar free water, and you turn into some kind of saint; and as a small guns expert I found it very simple to wield a clunky minigun, or a missile launcher, or a fat man, or that ridiculous MIRV [which is just about the most moronic thing I've ever seen]

To make a sweeping generalization like you did, anyone who considers this game to be a Fallout game clearly hasn't played the original Fallout games. I actually wish Bethesda would've just made their own art deco post-apocalyptic game and called it something else; I'd probably be inclined to be a lot kinder to it. I can't help it, I just get annoyed by this game trotting in and proudly taking every Fallout piece of interest and putting them all in DC and then trying to inform me that Fallout was a realistic world that I can believe in. There's this weird disconnect between modern fucked-up world and the occasional 20-50's retro "come-on-we're-throwing-you-a-bone-here" aesthetic.

Also, if you played STALKER, you'd learn that you playing you in the post-apocalyptic world would be dead or dying; not wielding a minigun with nary a worry (which you can do and shoot from the hip at long range regardless of your level of big guns ability - all it does is effect VATS, which really doesn't matter - since you can shoot from the freaking hip). ;-)

As for the dark humor, there's nothing I can say about that. I thought Fallout was genuinely clever and funny, and I find this to be unsubtle and pushy (it reminds me of the change in tone from Fallout to Fallout 2, its a bit offensive, it feels like they're talking down to me). That's just me, though.

Also, did anyone just blow off Tenpenny's face for his sweet suit? Because apparently, I'm the only one in the game that noticed his head flying off a tower into an empty desert. And apparently, his personal bodyguard just thinks that we have the same personal tailor...
...and that I changed when I was visiting him...into his suit.

Yeah, there are problems. :\

Teco

Informal Formalist
I personally like the game, not perfect but what first attempt really is? I'd like to try and debate some points made, but I want to first state, they are true points, but...

Hand-holding - Well, in Fallout there were certain zones or areas you explore, and they were fairly small too so quests didnt need any map markers, they just need a description of the area you were to go in which ever zone. (East side- find a book - *hint* "I dropped it somewhere around here..." says NPC - click around till you find a book by a trashcan- return) But for this next gen version you've got a larger area and it would be pretty difficult to find things and places without the map marker.

Leveling system - Well I'd rather have a decent fight where if I do something stupid on Hard, I'd get screwed over or have to use up all my stimpacks than go in to find a bunch of radroaches that die with a single hit or a pack of raiders that cant take a teddy bear to the face.

Outfits are enchanted - well, not enchanted really. They just made some outfits do what outfits would do, if you ran around in heavy metal armor you arent going to have my agility than in some light clothing, they have attributes and a realistic effect on your character or simply a unique look.

Lockpicking/Hacking is a mini-game - Well yeah, and jus because you can only pick locks at 25,50,75,and 100 mean that the lock is generally more hard to crack, you shouldnt be able to picklock a safe with minor skill... you dont have to play those mini games, depending on your skill you can just force pick it, going back, since force picking is dependent on your lockpick skill, having certain locks being able to pick at those intervals means you have a small chance of force picking, an improvement from picklocking a door constantly only to find that you needed serious skills to do this and now the door is jammed and you wasted all that time clicking over and over to do this that you could have just done a fun mini game in the time that the previous would or tell you that you have no chance of cracking this safe, same goes to Hacking.

Weapons degrade - Well they do... you cant blame them for being realistic

You can call someone a shit-eating cunt, and then say you're their friend, and usually they'll be agreeable - well, being a grisly, harsh world, I suppose people have more on their minds than a potty mouth who's woken on the wrong side of the bed.. the side you were sharing with a nuked skeleton. I just told an NPC to, "Get that fucking gun out of my face." And in which case I was then shot in the head by said gun. Mayhap there's some personality in these NPCs which a sprinkle of people who like insults apparently.

You can play every role at once if you've got a nice coat- Where is said coat? I want a coat! Badass. *punched* I dont know how to counter this, since I've never seen such an outfit.

Compass letting you know where everything is. Again, big, 3D, 360 degree world. Not a 2D flat world, you'd want it if it wasnt there believe me.

Actual conversation trees - indeed, I hate where other RPGs dont do this, 'specially Mass Effect.

Animation isn't nearly as bad as in Oblivion, and at times seems decent (the vertibirds are pretty well animated) - Aye, they are pretty bad but its pretty minor.

VATS (although, usefulness is arguable) - Its pretty useful.

Ranged weaponry has random accuracy - Wouldnt be an RPG without it.

Save for NPCs central to the main quest and children, you can kill most named NPCs. - Its never fun to find out you killed someone you need hours ago to even advance in the main plot.

Just because they used features they've developed and used in their games doesnt make it just like that game, its pretty different... might as well say Fallout 1 and 2 were D&D with guns. The used their methods in this game because they work. This is again a first attempt, if they make another one they'll most likely have more methods developed to set it apart from other games.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
Right you've played for over 400 hours already... somehow I think you're lieing.

You actually don't know what a RPG is in that case, or a FPS, or fallout. Go back to playing past the beginning because there is no possible way you're 'beaten the game' once. What with there being over 200 hours of quests, just doing the main one isn't beating the game.

And no, it is fallout. It isn't oblivion. It is a RPG.

You might want to actually pull your head out of your ass, play the original games, and stop thinking that because it's now 3d it's no longer fallout. Seriously I've had enough of you close minded gamers who well, aren't gamers. You just want things to go back to the old days of only 2d and turn based systems.

Seems like every single review I've watched on any gaming site, magazine, or friend of mine has said the opposite of what you're saying... wonder who I will believe...

J

Jelly

Leveling system - Well I'd rather have a decent fight where if I do something stupid on Hard, I'd get screwed over or have to use up all my stimpacks than go in to find a bunch of radroaches that die with a single hit or a pack of raiders that cant take a teddy bear to the face.
Uhh. I'm referring to how by the end of the game everyone has kick ass stuff, and they really shouldn't. I guess the way it worked in the old games was you didn't head northwest. If you did - expect a super mutant patrol - which would kick your ass unless you were at a high level. Go mid-south and east, and you can expect raiders near small towns - this made sense, and it didn't change. Made the world seem more worldly. Not just a random - holy shit - suddenly everyone's head has titanium plating because you solved the NukaCola run Super Mutants didn't suddenly appear by small towns just for the hell of it. Nevertheless, I'm finding Super Mutants at Radio Stations not far from Megaton at Level 20. This doesn't make any sense to me?

You'll find a few awesome guns lying around at the beginning. If you have a high enough repair skill you can buff the hell out of hunting rifles and the like. However, you can't find anyone with a decent weapon save for totally random encounters outside of that. I guess I would've liked to wear my first power armor set, and go out to find a den of gatling laser wielding super muties and fight my way through them to get something good.

However, you'll get that one awesome gun, and you're just awesome until you level up and another gun shows up - you fix that and you're awesome for a while. This continues for the whole game. It's monotonous to me, but maybe not to you. This just reminds me of IRON IRON IRON STEEL FINE STEEL SILVER GLASS, ETC. In older games, they presented the choice and you were likely to get your ass kicked. In FO3 they appear scared to offer you that choice because you might get frustrated or realize that you're sad or something. I like the option to deal with an incredibly difficult firefight for a nice bonus. Not the same firefight for an above average bonus (which doesn't surpass one of the awesome guns I found earlier - *cough* Museum of History *cough*).
Outfits are enchanted - well, not enchanted really. They just made some outfits do what outfits would do, if you ran around in heavy metal armor you arent going to have my agility than in some light clothing, they have attributes and a realistic effect on your character or simply a unique look.

I wasn't aware that if I wore a doctor's smock I found in a dumpster could actually allow me to heal myself 5% better with a medkit. The power armor makes sense. Wearing a stylish hat should make me able to shoot lasers from 10 yards further away, but it doesn't (this is partly why I hate the gritty realism/fantasy world thing that's going on). That's an enchantment. Just you wait and see, after dog armor, we'll be getting an armory lab. ;-)
Lockpicking/Hacking is a mini-game - Well yeah, and jus because you can only pick locks at 25,50,75,and 100 mean that the lock is generally more hard to crack, you shouldnt be able to picklock a safe with minor skill... you dont have to play those mini games, depending on your skill you can just force pick it, going back, since force picking is dependent on your lockpick skill, having certain locks being able to pick at those intervals means you have a small chance of force picking, an improvement from picklocking a door constantly only to find that you needed serious skills to do this and now the door is jammed and you wasted all that time clicking over and over to do this that you could have just done a fun mini game in the time that the previous would or tell you that you have no chance of cracking this safe, same goes to Hacking.

The whole force picking thing doesn't work quite how it should, though. I mean, the force-lock fail is that you can't open it without a key, same with hacking (hacking, okay; but seriously, I wasn't aware that keys could dislodge metal chunks from a lock - I have tweezers, can't I just use those?). Which really gears you towards playing the mini-game and not leaving it to chance unless you have to. In which case you're punished - it's pushing you into the minigames. 100 lockpick skill can only force a very hard lock at 15% chance. That's a little nutty. In Fallout, it was possible that you could not pick the damn lock after trying, and come back when you're better at lock picking to get it open. This seems logical. Arbitrary "oops, you no good at wiggle-stick, thus you have to go find the key we hid, hur hur hur - your skill isn't a skill unless you, the player, are good at it" is very non-RPG, and pretty damn annoying.
Weapons degrade - Well they do... you cant blame them for being realistic

Yes, actually, I can. I won't, though. That's just something Oblivion started, and they didn't feel like removing. Something strictly Oblivion, something very not Fallout, where your weapon was a very cherished thing. The sheer abundance of fire power is a little weird in a world where guns haven't actually been manufactured for 200 years, amidst a distanced war, after a nuclear holocaust. Finding a single minigun, or assembling that Power Armor in the Brotherhood base was a godsend in FO. In FO3, on the other hand, miniguns seem to litter the wastelands, and I suspect that the reason the Brotherhood is functioning the way it is in the game is because they didn't want to retool the weapon set up. Okay, so maybe I kind of blamed them.
You can call someone a shit-eating cunt, and then say you're their friend, and usually they'll be agreeable - well, being a grisly, harsh world, I suppose people have more on their minds than a potty mouth who's woken on the wrong side of the bed.. the side you were sharing with a nuked skeleton. I just told an NPC to, "Get that fucking gun out of my face." And in which case I was then shot in the head by said gun. Mayhap there's some personality in these NPCs which a sprinkle of people who like insults apparently.

Ehhh. Normally, I wouldn't mind it - but all I was saying is that like all of these other points - this is just a way in which the game is like Oblivion. There are moments in Fallout that you can do the same thing. I'm not sure which moment you're referring to - I'm assuming its in Megaton, though. It does tend to drop off, and that's part of why it gets so weird after a point (I was incredibly optimistic at the beginning). I told Roy that I hated Ghouls, and then I was the savior of Ghouls, then I told him I hated him again - and now he calls me "buddy." I'd expect him to at least hate me after I did the mission for him. He can't possibly get anything from me. There is also something really disturbing about running into a town killing the beloved patriarchs of each and every family, leaving said town for a location about 2 minutes away, sleeping for three days, and coming back to find that everyone was waiting to give you a big kiss and missed you so much.
You can play every role at once if you've got a nice coat- Where is said coat? I want a coat! Badass. *punched* I dont know how to counter this, since I've never seen such an outfit.
There are a lot of them. I've got most of the unique ones. I don't know how far in your are, so I'll try not to spoil it. There are some pretty game breaking items out there. IE: things that make enemies love you no matter what, or coats that significantly increase your ability to shoot a gun, sneak, use energy weapons, etc. I've got a hat that puts my perception up one point, and my sneak up 10. That increases my small guns, explosives, energy weapons; and then I have a coat that pushes energy and small guns up by 15 each. I'm a speech character and I have a a tagged+ setting for energy, small, and sneak. Not to mention the fact that you collect bobblehead dolls that put your points up in SPECIAL by one each, and each skill by ten. There are similar items for melee, unarmed, speech, medicine (pre-mentioned smock being one of them), lockpick, all weaponry, and barter. Since clothes tend to weigh between 5-10 pounds, you can stock up on them (and ammo doesn't weigh anything).

Who do you want to be today?
Fallout 3:
We've got a hat for that.
Compass letting you know where everything is. Again, big, 3D, 360 degree world. Not a 2D flat world, you'd want it if it wasnt there believe me.
Maybe. It kind of pushes the idea of exploring the wasteland away from exploring to finding destinations to hop to-and-fro to kill they ass.
VATS (although, usefulness is arguable) - Its pretty useful.
It can be. If you're not a PC FPSer. I am. It isn't useful unless you're being swarmed. The headshots are harder with mutants, the fucking nippleheads, but beefy legs being shot stops them pretty much instantly, giving you about 3 seconds to kill they ass. There's also aim assistance, I notice. I clearly missed some mutant's gun, but the game felt bad for me - and blew it right out of his hands.
Ranged weaponry has random accuracy - Wouldnt be an RPG without it.
I did like this, and it takes it closer. Still, the accuracy is pretty tight in comparison to something like Deus Ex which I consider an acceptable bridge between FPS/RPG. With a 30 small guns, I've blown somebody's head off with the hunting rifle from what was probably about a minute run away.

Save for NPCs central to the main quest and children, you can kill most named NPCs. - Its never fun to find out you killed someone you need hours ago to even advance in the main plot.

I wasn't really holding that against it. That's just an Oblivion mechanic, not a Fallout one. Fallout made everybody important and immersive by making them killable. You weren't inclined to play it like GTA, and go around on a rampage because you might really fuck up your chances. To me, that made the game more believable. To be fair, though, when I played through Morrowwind once, I accidentally killed some guy in a tomb, wherein the game told me "YOU LOSE," and that was pretty surreal and, I'll admit, pretty damn annoying (but I don't think anyone can deny that level design was never BethSoft's strong suit [this is the first game they hired a level design team for]). I guess with Fallout the battles tended to be a strain after a point - so much so that you didn't yearn for combat unless you were a combat heavy character, and undoubtedly some asshole hidden behind a wall was armed to the teeth, you can't take everything in. I guess it made it the wasteland and its sense of suspense and civilization that much more realistic to me.
Just because they used features they've developed and used in their games doesnt make it just like that game, its pretty different... might as well say Fallout 1 and 2 were D&D with guns. The used their methods in this game because they work. This is again a first attempt, if they make another one they'll most likely have more methods developed to set it apart from other games.
Ehhhhhh. Look, I hate to be an NMAfag, and in the past I've been very defensive of this game. The game is incredibly similar. I'm not saying that makes it terrible, but its hard to deny that's not what it is. I hear a lot of people saying its not that, but it is - with a few exceptions.

I don't reward mediocre first attempts. I know, call me an asshole, but I don't think that a game developer with more money than God and the entire console market in its back pocket really needs a knight in shining armor. The game is alright, and it can be fun mapping out all the inconsequential stuff. It's just not...great, I guess.

It would be like if someone took your favorite movie and rendered into a still life with different actors. You'd be a little baffled, and wonder why they didn't create their own subject to work off of; and I guess that's how I feel. This isn't really Fallout, and it feels closer to Bethesda. Which is fine, I guess, but I'm more inclined to spot an Oblivion than a Fallout in Fallout 3. It doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be entertained by it, I just don't think its it's own game.

Teco

Informal Formalist
Its going to look and feel the same because it was handled by the same people none the less, the next Elder Scrolls isnt going to look and feel like it was developed by... Valve or something. They're using their engine. It's Fallout to their engine, there isnt an engine for Fallout. Not a next gen one atleast so no matter what you say. It isnt Black Isle's Fallout3 because they're gone. Unless every fan banded together to make an engine for a true Fallout experience then just enjoy this or dont. I dont think you should hate a game just because it isnt the same, I find it fun and challenging. Yes again, you can tell its made with their engine. But thats it, made with a different engine, probably the best pick for a Fallout themed game, what other engine would be better?

lilEmber

Small Dragon
Teco don't bother, he's right and were and everybody that reviewed the game is wrong. He wants it to be 100% realistic while being fallout, while being a rpg, while bla bla bla. People like that need a good few kicks in the face and not allowed on the internet.

The game is what it is, it is fallout 3, and it's better than anything you could ever dream up.

And so far I'm no where near through the entire game and I've put in a good 20+ hours. So yea, every mission, every thing... I'm getting over 200 by a long shot, just like the creators said. And because you said you did this twice I doubled it.

Xipoid

Cameras
I like Fallout 3, but not for the same reasons for the earlier games. I will say there is a definite change of atmosphere and tone with Fallout 3, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

However, the scaling of enemies is a bit annoying. Yes, it is a great device to keep the player challenged, but it also is a poor device at keeping the world plausible. Original Fallout games were more centered on location specific enemies, whereas in Fallout 3 you can pretty much wander just about anywhere early on and not have to worry about the Enclave popping out of the bushes and blasting your sorry leather-armor-wearing ass with mega death plasma rifles.

To me, it seems that Fallout 2 had the attitude of handing you the world and going "Here. Play with it" while Fallout 3 has the attitude of handing you the same world with a number of child-safety features.

J

Jelly

Remember when I said this was Oblivion with Guns?

Okay.

That was really my central point.

I would've liked them to make a new engine, instead of plugging a gun into the back of a horse's ass. Which is what they did, which is why I call this "oblivion with guns."

They made it, and I don't love it. I don't really get what is supposed to be moved beyond that? I don't understand what it is with game designers grasping at dead franchises, making a different game, and slapping the name on the game.

It's okay to just let things die, and make something new.

And it seems a little weird that they couldn't have been bothered with basic changes, I mean after you see what companies did with the Unreal engines, you get a little disheartened that they just slapped a new face on the lockpick game.

And I wish we could get over this whole hand-holding thing that modern gaming does.
It's like they always want you to feel good about doing nothing. The first 2 hours of Fallout 2 is a frigging sweat fest. You're anxious and nervous about running into hoardes of raiders. That strikes me as good with the setting. You don't just trot out alone, whistling along the side of the road.

I see raiders as a waste of ammo at level 1 in this game.

This engine could do something...
I'd like to see a real challenge, I guess.
An elaborate puzzle to solve. Something I have to jot down on paper to figure out. A firefight that seems desperate, something that tests your ability to manipulate the various obstacles and EXPLODIN' CARS. Essentially, the two biggest puzzles in the game are solved by accident, just wandering around. One when you solve it gives you a freaking gun that shoots 8 nukes at the same time.

8 nukes at the same time.

The other can either up your VATS accuracy by 15% or give you the most powerful rifle in the game, which can be repaired using a fairly common high-level rifle and uses one of the most abundant power sources from level 1+.

Its got this weird angle of trying to be the mom acting proud that her son got a B- in English class, it wants to make you feel good for being mediocre?

You can have the lowest explosives ability possible, if you pop a mentat you can disarm or wire the nuke to explode. That weakens immersion for me, because it makes it seem like everyone else in the wasteland is absolutely retarded. Someone...over 200 years would've done something about the bomb if it was that easy to screw with.

They did a lot for the AI, but its still pretty bad. I blew a weapon out of a raider's hands, shot her in both legs, and she hobbled right up to the barrel of my gun trying to run away. I wouldn't have been surprised if she reached up and pulled the trigger on her own face while yelling "please don't kill me." I don't know about dem raiders, bro, deys masochists.

I don't know. I'm probably just a crotchity old man.
Like I said, this is a) my opinion (so, you can be inclined to give two shits or not) and b) this game is still decent. Despite the flaws. I consider it to be fun. If I didn't I wouldn't be playing it again. I'm just saying, it isn't great; and I'd have to lie to myself to convince myself I'm not just playing Oblivion.

...which is really hard with the vampires and swords (you Bethesda assholes didn't even try, did you >:c). :c