• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fallout 3.

Magikian

Cecret Blown Susiness.
Ok, now that it's been out for a while, and people have had a chance to get over the hype/play it even though it's not like the past 2, what does everyone think of it?

I personally think its a good game, a great time-killer.

As to what I think of it against the way the other two are made, I still have to play the other two a little more... I have them, but I've only played them once each.

-Lucario-

I thought it was an ok game. It personally isn't my cup of tea but it was unique enough to keep me playing (well I haven't beaten it yet and don't really plan on doing so). It's definately not what it was hyped to be. I prefer S.T.A.L.K.E.R over it though.

Riptor

Ran Out Of User Titles
I personally thought it was great. But, I'd like to point out that this is less like an RPG, and more like an FPS with RPG elements. Also, VATS, when used correctly, can be very, very overpowered. But it's a good game, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I did Oblivion.

Mr. Goblet

Fargo Palisader
It's fun and I can waste a lot of time on it. That's a golden game for me.

I can just explore all day in that game, find new stuff, use VATS using the most powerful weapons on the weakest of enemies, listen to Three Dog repeating his same friggin' lines every time.

"Looks like we got some, dada dah duum, bit of news!"
"You know that cat from Vault 101?"
"Hello there, children! This is Three Dog! AWWOOOO!"

Actually, I could probably so without the radio if there hadn't had more diverse introductory and dismissing lines for Three Dog. Also, more songs. I've also had enough of, "He's hackin', whackin', and smackin'," or whatever the hell that song is saying.

Oh wait, FO3 isn't about the radio.

Mikael Grizzly

Creepy Stalker
Meh, Fallout 3:

Good sides:

* Fucking amazing environmental art direction. Retrofuturistic Washington DC? <3
* T-4x Power Armor, it grew on me, especially after Ausir pointed out that the armour in Van Buren wasn't the T-45d
* Some clothing/armour design (especially Enclave's officer uniforms and Autumn's trenchcoat)
* Atmosphere in downtown DC (long as you forget that it's supposed to be 200 years after the war)
* Museum of Technology and backstory within
* Outcasts
* Protectron, Sentry Bot and Mr. Handy II
* Rivet City
* Chinese presence in mainland America
* Car design (long as you forget they're supposed to be atomic cars)
* Deathclaws

Bad sides:

* Godawful plot
* Pathetic writing, especially the [Intelligence] responses. Or rather, [Captain Obvious] responses
* Bad quest design
* Horrible NPCs
* Brotherhood of Steel on the East Coast
* World feels more like 2097 not 2277
* World that feels more like an amusement park not a living gameworld
* Incoherent world
* Lack of choices and consequences
* EXPLODO-CARS
* Fatman
* Supermutants
* Butchered SPECIAL
* Bullet-time, err, VATS

And now, having picked up Mass Effect, I see just how godawful Bethesda's writing and plot is.

Holsety

At least Fallout 3 didn't have to suffer from the voice acting of the male Shepard >_>;

Last edited:

Marty

I was able to look past the godawful ending and just had a blast wandering around enjoying the wastelands. This was probably the most entertaining single player game I've played on the 360 yet.

Plus the DLC missions will be hitting soon, so that'll increase the replay value a little.

Sammy Otter

Lost in thought.
I liked a lot of the game actually, I've only played bits and pieces of it (my friend owns it not me) but the parts I played were fun.

The only major problem I have is how long the missions/quests whatever you want to call them take. I mean, the only real things that I've done have been the beginning when you detonate the bomb at megaton, and that took me a good 30 minutes it shouldn't have taken me, plus it took me like an hour just to find the guy's room =/. Then there was the mission where your dad dies, the one where you have to go to the purifier and activate it and stuff, the first part was annoying because you had to go inside and kill anything that you hadn't killed, which took forever because you couldn't find anything, then there was the going around and fixing everything which took even long because of all the stupid load times, I mean seriously, they couldn't have made the whole building one area??

Besides the long ass wait and missions, the game was really fun, you can pretty much do whatever you want. I hope to get it myself if I ever get an xbox, but def not follow the storyline.

Adrianfolf

You die and you can't continue playing in the end.

Just saved you 30 hours of bullshit. You'll thank me later.

Nice way to spoil the ending for some people that like the game asshole.

Anyway I think the game was fun and the story wasn't too bad. It wasn't great but it was alright. Most people seem to ignore the side quests. Thats where the game truely lies. Over all its worth playing to me

Kvasir

Zumba!!!
i played it once i liked it alot, i would however like to play it again.

J

Jelly

Whatever. They're going to hate the ending anyways. At least, this way they know to experience all the sidequests before finishing the game.
Also, the game is shitty and humorless. And put through a sepia filter and then pissed on. The gameplay is pretty mediocre.

There are a massive amount of issues. Suffice the say, the game is bad.

Talosar

Meh, Fallout 3:
And now, having picked up Mass Effect, I see just how godawful Bethesda's writing and plot is.

Mass Effect is Bioware's, isn't it? I haven't played it, but that's mostly because I stopped playing Bioware games when I realised that all the annoying plot cliches were carried out over every single title (and the gameplay generally wasn't compelling enough to keep me interested).

I really liked Fallout 3, and was thoroughly addicted to it until I reached near the end of the main quest, at which point it just seemed to fall flat for me. I still think it's quite a good game, but there are things that I think Fallout 1 and 2 did much better.

It's very cool to explore a nuclear wasteland in first-person 3D, though. But with that said, am I the only one who thinks it's far too busy, what with the mass of rocks and rubble? I know the game is set in a ruined city and its outlying areas, but it didn't seem wastey enough to me.

The SPECIAL system is definitely butchered, but I actually found VATS quite compelling. Maybe it was the nostalgia-inducing sound effects. ;)

Last edited:

Nakhi

Emperor of Anea
I played it little bit on the computer and Xbox. I liked the game because I enjoy Bethesda's games. I thought of it as Oblivion with guns. The plot sucked, but the gameplay is good enough to keep playing. If I had to vote on it I'd give it a 7/10 because I have seen better.

ceacar99

behold my boomstick!
well...

i had fun with it, i shot things and other then the stupid vats "i win button" it felt nice. even the failures in cruddy weapons were semi realistic.... then as i got into the game the problems started showing more and more.

like the fact that a character wielding a power fist will in fact when geared fro that weapon do more damage then a minigun character. complete bullshit. the dialogue system was horrible too, didnt really matter your stats(having a high int might just allow you to skip a few blocks of text) and you didnt have really much in the way of character development through conversations. it was just slightly dressed up oblivion question and answer time..... from allowing you to be a COMPLETELY over the top raider that revels in blood but is somehow completely unable to bring himself to kill children to the horrible game ending it just felt like a piece of crap that they scrapped together with zombie parts from oblivion....

traditional fallout fans consider it an abomination and the worst thing that has happened to the series since the last console geared fuck up "fallout: brotherhood of steel"(not to be confused with "fallout tactics: brotherhood of steel").

we remember the old games that while had great combat were about ROLE PLAYING. where character's stats actually mattered if they wanted to do something(honestly fallout 3, you can beat the game using any weapon even if your character isnt skilled in it....). 90% of fallout 1 and 2 was actually spent talking to people, exploring relationships and options. higher int characters could think of more to say and might just be able to get ahead because of it. we remember true honest comedy(where fallout 3's only good moments were the annoying chick from megaton surviving the bomb and harold winding up getting more infused with his tree until getting rooted in place) and a story worth playing. hell even your actions in gmae actually making a difference. like what happens to the den in fallout 2 if you kill the slavers in the guild and so on. but in 3 no matter what you do it doesn't really matter, even if you make the harold tree grow faster so the whole wasteland will turn green again but nope doesnt matter.....

Mr. Goblet

Fargo Palisader

I don't care what game it is or what ending it has. Don't make yourself out to be a saint for "saving us 30 hours of bullshit" just because you have different taste in storylines.

For instance, did you know that different people that aren't you like different things and may actually favor that ending and therefore would NOT like to know it? And even if they didn't, let us have our fun.

wolfmagik

Media Slave

*****SPOILERS BELOW*****

You can actually send Lyons in and you survive, able to continue exploring the wasteland.

*****SPOILERS ABOVE*****

No, I'm saving you, so you don't end up like me - pumping in hours into the damn game to make sure I'm ready for what was sure to be a final battle, only to die of radiation in the end. EVEN WITH having enough Rad-X and Rad-Away to fucking stop a nuke in mid air and even wearing a radiation resistant suit, I DIED OF RADIATION.

WHY THE FUCK

I don't care what game it is or what ending it has. Don't make yourself out to be a saint for "saving us 30 hours of bullshit" just because you have different taste in storylines.

No, that's bullshit. Anyone who has fun playing an OPEN-END FREE ROAMING game for 30+ hours is NOT going to enjoy being told their character dies no matter what they do and the game ends fuck off you lose go play all over again.

You can actually send Lyons in and you survive, able to continue exploring the wasteland.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you can't keep playing after that anyway. The ending changes, yes, but you still can't play.

scarei_crow

nekomancer
fallout 3 is a game, you shoot things with guns and talk to people sometimes, there are quests to complete that offer short stories. the objective of the game is to complete the main quest and to level up your character. there are mutants in the game, most are very bad and you must kill before you are killed by them.
in short, fallout 3 is a game

Mikael Grizzly

Creepy Stalker
Mass Effect is Bioware's, isn't it? I haven't played it, but that's mostly because I stopped playing Bioware games when I realised that all the annoying plot cliches were carried out over every single title (and the gameplay generally wasn't compelling enough to keep me interested).

The writing is good and the story interesting. True, they do the "epic save the universe" storyline in every title, but they do it good.

Adrianfolf

No, I'm saving you, so you don't end up like me - pumping in hours into the damn game to make sure I'm ready for what was sure to be a final battle, only to die of radiation in the end. EVEN WITH having enough Rad-X and Rad-Away to fucking stop a nuke in mid air and even wearing a radiation resistant suit, I DIED OF RADIATION.

WHY THE FUCK

No, that's bullshit. Anyone who has fun playing an OPEN-END FREE ROAMING game for 30+ hours is NOT going to enjoy being told their character dies no matter what they do and the game ends fuck off you lose go play all over again.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you can't keep playing after that anyway. The ending changes, yes, but you still can't play.
First off you didn't save me shit. I played through the whole damn game and finished it in under 30 hours. Yes I can understand the gay ass ending with you having to die in the end because I had more than enough Rad-X and Radaway. Thats just the way the story was ment to end. I don't see why people bitch. Its not like they are going to "change" it because someone didn't like it.
Also just because you didn't enjoy the open ended gameplay doesn't mean that others don't. Now grow the fuck the up and learn there are many types of gamers in this world. If you can't accpet that fact then go else where.

Last edited: