• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fallout 76, and the flop it made

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
D

Deleted member 111470

They couldn't let Blizz(activision) have all the glory this year.

But seriously - they did fuck up big time. People paid $200 worth of exclusive shit. Canvas bag turns out to be made of cheap nylon. And for a refund they offer some useless in-game crap that no one cares about.

Fucking hell.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Bethesda isn't a bad development house by any stretch of imagination, but they can't do a good Fallout game to save their lives - the only time they actually ended up releasing a decent one is when they lend franchise back to Obsidian guys for New Vegas (and even then they couldn't help but screw things up by rushing the release and leaving it with a ton of day-one bugs). So, them failing with another one just isn't surprising to me anymore, though this ended up being more disastrous than expected.

S

Sagt

When Fallout 76 was announced and leaks came through saying that the game would be like Rust but with a Fallout aesthetic, that made up my mind that I wasn't going to buy the game. Definitely was not expecting this level of incompetency, though.

Honestly, I kind of have a sweet spot for Bethesda, since they were partially responsible for my favourite game. I wish they'd go back to making singleplayer RPG games again. :l

Stratelier

Canvas bag turns out to be made of cheap nylon.
That one was a PR/advertising disaster -- if it turned out it wasn't viable to produce that many bags using canvas, they should have published a notice about this BEFORE release, and updated the advertising to reflect said change. There would still have been some outrage that they "cheaped out" on the materials, but in the end they would have been shipping the product as advertised.

(Let me know if I'm missing any important details, I haven't exactly researched this.)

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
That one was a PR/advertising disaster -- if it turned out it wasn't viable to produce that many bags using canvas, they should have published a notice about this BEFORE release, and updated the advertising to reflect said change. There would still have been some outrage that they "cheaped out" on the materials, but in the end they would have been shipping the product as advertised.

(Let me know if I'm missing any important details, I haven't exactly researched this.)
what made it worse is that they gave influencers (youtubers and reviewers) canvas bags for free at greenbeir in order to make things look better. They also put a NDA on the stress test so that way the only video footage was from this staged climate controlled event. I played the stress test, the beta, and the official release, and some how each version got worse.

C

CrookedCroc

It's pretty funny how the ones having fun with Fallout 76 are the ones that didn't buy it.

Also, the 500 atom points are not an actual compensation, they are a scummy legal trick; Basically if you take the atom points you have been 'compensated' and can't take any legal action against Bethesda for committing false advertisemen/deceptive practices
IMG_20181130_213308.jpg

To be fair, this isn't the worst game to come out of the fallout franchise.

To also be fair, I don't understand how people didn't see Bethesda getting into the practices bullshit from a mile away. Bethesda has been largely refocusing their game design model around games that make money, re-releases, paid mods (that pay Bethesda and not the modders), etc. And that is before we get into the fact they gave their dev teams no time at all to slap this shitfest together from whatever assets were handy.

This is why I don't pre-order things, and I really wish this had turned out any other way. My friends had planned to make this a group game, and now we have to start our plans from square one.

Lexiand

Werewolf

terraignis

It's pretty funny how the ones having fun with Fallout 76 are the ones that didn't buy it.

Also, the 500 atom points are not an actual compensation, they are a scummy legal trick; Basically if you take the atom points you have been 'compensated' and can't take any legal action against Bethesda for committing false advertisemen/deceptive practices
View attachment 49170

Todd Howard edits are such a blessing I'm screaming

tumblr_piy66zLWRo1r52j2xo1_1280.png

Z

ZeroVoidTime

what made it worse is that they gave influencers (youtubers and reviewers) canvas bags for free at greenbeir in order to make things look better. They also put a NDA on the stress test so that way the only video footage was from this staged climate controlled event. I played the stress test, the beta, and the official release, and some how each version got worse.
Well that is very slimy of Bethesda to do! *sigh* Now I have a hard time playing Guild Wars 2 since dulfy.net is now creating guides for this trash. (Truth is I am impressed Dulfy is bothering create guides despite the negative backlash Fallout 76 is receiving.)

Illuminaughty

Ring-a-ding-ding, pal.
Bethesda really needs a new marketing manager. I mean, I do think people have been blowing 76 out of proportion from the beginning, but there isn't an argument to be made in defense of the marketing team. As a whole, they've been doing a pretty deplorable job (Outright lying? Rescinding on refunds? Really guys?) and I think they deserve the backlash they get for that.

At this point, it almost seems like somebody on the inside wants it to fail. Because the game itself, it's not bad. People blew up about the online thing, but that's ignoring the fact that a lot of people have been asking for a multiplayer Fallout for years. There's also a rising trend amongst self-identified "gamers" conflating "I personally dislike this" with "this is objectively bad", which must be considered. This mentality does a lot of damage to games, regardless of their actual contents, in many cases before they're even released.
But now there are increasingly more tangible, reasonable reasons to hate it, which only gives ammo to those who are truly dedicated to ensuring it doesn't succeed and convincing others it's bad, even if that isn't necessarily the case. The physical merch and the marketing tactics really don't have anything to do with the contents of the game itself, and the developers who created the game aren't in charge of it, so it's a little disingenuous to blame them.

What bugs me right now, is that this puts me and others who do like the idea of the game in an awkward position- because if you so much as express even the slightest doubt about anything regarding it, a lot of people automatically assume you carry the same amount of vitriol they do and use valid complaints as a springboard into a bunch of other opinion-based reasons why it's just "bad", even though that's not at all what you're saying.

There's very little actual discussion going on, it's just a lot of harassment and bullying over points of personal gaming preferences, and the marketing team making these spectacular blunders is really, really not helping. It's all really annoying, and I'm almost certain this is exactly what toxic fans want to happen- make what should be a standard game release into such a cesspit that even the people who like the thing can't detach the unpleasant experience of the hate from the experience of the game. Their reactions to the game itself are almost entirely unjustified- I can honestly think of other games that genuinely deserve way more hate than 76 has gotten. People wanted Fallout 5, and seem to be labouring under the impression that 76 is meant to be Fallout 5, or that this is the game plan going forward. Which, if anyone had actually took it upon themselves to keep up with Bethesda during this time, it's not. Not every game in a franchise has to cater to your specific preferences or even be the game genre. In fact I'd think it would be considered a good sign that Fallout, as a franchise, is so well established that they're not afraid to actually take some risks or make spinoff games in the interim.

People had a similar reaction to Fallout 4 too, which was not a bad game at all, by any stretch of the word. It wasn't even "a bad Fallout game" (which, as an argument, doesn't even make sense in the first place seeing as that's about as nebulous a complaint as possible). Most people, when asked about Fallout 4 now, will concede that it was at least "okay", and you see a lot of people who are really attached to the companions, even now that years have passed.. Companions who had way more interactivity than the ones in pretty much any other Fallout game. And personally, in my opinion, the characters in Fallout 3 seem rather one dimensional and in a lot of cases almost downright cartoonish when compared to the ones in Fallout 4. So, as far as Bethesda's case is concerned, significant progress is being made.

Anyway before I waffle on for another ten pages worth of text, I just want to say that I hope Bethesda has the good sense to turn this around and that people get proper compensation for the misleading and skeevy behaviour of the marketing team. They can still make up for this, but they're going to have to be willing to work for it and earn that goodwill back.

Last edited:
Bethesda really needs a new marketing manager. I mean, I do think people have been blowing 76 out of proportion from the beginning, but there isn't an argument to be made in defense of the marketing team. As a whole, they've been doing a pretty deplorable job (Outright lying? Rescinding on refunds? Really guys?) and I think they deserve the backlash they get for that.

At this point, it almost seems like somebody on the inside wants it to fail. Because the game itself, it's not bad. People blew up about the online thing, but that's ignoring the fact that a lot of people have been asking for a multiplayer Fallout for years. There's also a rising trend amongst self-identified "gamers" conflating "I personally dislike this" with "this is objectively bad", which must be considered. This mentality does a lot of damage to games, regardless of their actual contents, in many cases before they're even released.
But now there are increasingly more tangible, reasonable reasons to hate it, which only gives ammo to those who are truly dedicated to ensuring it doesn't succeed and convincing others it's bad, even if that isn't necessarily the case. The physical merch and the marketing tactics really don't have anything to do with the contents of the game itself, and the developers who created the game aren't in charge of it, so it's a little disingenuous to blame them.

What bugs me right now, is that this puts me and others who do like the idea of the game in an awkward position- because if you so much as express even the slightest doubt about anything regarding it, a lot of people automatically assume you carry the same amount of vitriol they do and use valid complaints as a springboard into a bunch of other opinion-based reasons why it's just "bad", even though that's not at all what you're saying.

There's very little actual discussion going on, it's just a lot of harassment and bullying over points of personal gaming preferences, and the marketing team making these spectacular blunders is really, really not helping. It's all really annoying, and I'm almost certain this is exactly what toxic fans want to happen- make what should be a standard game release into such a cesspit that even the people who like the thing can't detach the unpleasant experience of the hate from the experience of the game. Their reactions to the game itself are almost entirely unjustified- I can honestly think of other games that genuinely deserve way more hate than 76 has gotten. People wanted Fallout 5, and seem to be labouring under the impression that 76 is meant to be Fallout 5, or that this is the game plan going forward. Which, if anyone had actually took it upon themselves to keep up with Bethesda during this time, it's not. Not every game in a franchise has to cater to your specific preferences or even be the game genre. In fact I'd think it would be considered a good sign that Fallout, as a franchise, is so well established that they're not afraid to actually take some risks or make spinoff games in the interim.

People had a similar reaction to Fallout 4 too, which was not a bad game at all, by any stretch of the word. It wasn't even "a bad Fallout game" (which, as an argument, doesn't even make sense in the first place seeing as that's about as nebulous a complaint as possible). Most people, when asked about Fallout 4 now, will concede that it was at least "okay", and you see a lot of people who are really attached to the companions, even now that years have passed.. Companions who had way more interactivity than the ones in pretty much any other Fallout game. And personally, in my opinion, the characters in Fallout 3 seem rather one dimensional and in a lot of cases almost downright cartoonish when compared to the ones in Fallout 4. So, as far as Bethesda's case is concerned, significant progress is being made.

Anyway before I waffle on for another ten pages worth of text, I just want to say that I hope Bethesda has the good sense to turn this around and that people get proper compensation for the misleading and skeevy behaviour of the marketing team. They can still make up for this, but they're going to have to be willing to work for it and earn that goodwill back.
Let me preface this by saying there's nothing wrong with liking a bad game. I would also like to say that the following is more the fault of the publisher than any designer, programmer, artist, or QA worker that worked on the game.

Fallout 76 is objectively a bad game.

A. The story is nearly nonexistent at worst, and RP driven at best.

B. Quest design is resultingly abysmal. I use New Vegas as a high point standard for quest design because it had quests that were dynamic to your character, and their actions snd choices. Quests with multiple solutions, resolutions, etc. The world was interconnected as well, so actions one place could have an effect elsewhere.

C. The perks system is still worse than previous titles, but better than 4.

D. VATS should have been canned in this game. In a real time multiplayer game, VATS is a wonky aimbot.

E. The PVP is abysmal, and prone to exploitation. A player can use automated defenses while not responding to combat in order to cheese enemy players. Sniping is pointless, as it requires you to reveal your position, or otherwise expend mountains of ammo to kill one player. Your ability to kill an enemy player effeciently can be negatively impacted by your opponent's ability to aim. That's a complete failure of game design in a multiplayer survival game.

F. 24 is way too few players for an empty sandbox world of this size.

G. The game is atrociously optimised, and contains unresolved bugs from a previous game. Bugs that where fixed by modders in unofficial patches.

H. The graphical assets are recycled at best, and horrific at worst. They were advertised otherwise, so its not a case of getting what you were promised and being dissapointed anyway.

I. The server reliability is a fucking joke. 3 nukes brought the game down for a lot of players. That should never be possible in a multiplayer game.

J. The game takes the piss on cannon lore in order to justify many of its elements. It doesn't have to do this, but it does it anyway.

K. No push to talk. In 2018.

L. The interface is bad on PC, especially for a live multiplayer game.

Every element of this game has massive room for improvement. But Bethesda had the game put out as a rush job to jump on the PubG/Fortnight bandwagon. Because of that, the game is an unpolished mess, and due to the masdive overhauls promised to fix said mistakes, should be considered an early access title. A full priced early access title made by a AAA punlisher. This is only one game in a running and expanding trend of releasing games in an unfinished state for full price, while monetizing that game as if it were free-to-play. The game is not only shit, but its shit that represents larger fucked up trends in the video games industry.

This game COULD have been a decent survival game, and me and my friends planned to buy it as a group game. But in the state it released in and is still in; we can't even gurantee it will run on all of our computers, and our computers are fairly good.

So by all means, enjoy it. But understand that it is by objective and relative standards a bad product, and one exemplary of dangerous market trends at that.

I got hyped expecting a fairly storyless survival game that could be fun to kill time with friends, or even RP with enough players to have a falloutis experience. Instead I watched my favorite series debased.

(Fallout 4 was worse than its predecessors except in graphics and gunplay, but was a decent game.)

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
heres the thing i enjoyed fallout 76 but the bug bears were too much to bear. Thats why seeing it fail doesn't surprise me, frankly even the addition of the ATOM shop (which I wasn't aware of when I preordered the game, or played the stress test) was a factor that made me go from "You know what guys just give it some time!" to. "OI you using that pitchfork there mate?" Seriously.

Micro transactions in a game you PAY money for doesn't make a lick of sense to me. That's just bullshit. Thats my biggest gripe, that and the theres no reason for PVP. If you had it where some people were able to raiders form groups of raiders and just.. That was what I this game was going to be. You let loose and the reason why they didn't have these NPCs was because the players were going to fill the voids. Now that'd be interesting.

And I know it can be done because I've seen it done in korean FREE to play MMO's since 2008... Okay? If Bethseda wanted to make WOW fallout they should have just went all the balls to the walls and made it. My hope is that the private server community can pop up and start modding the shit out of the game... Then it might breathe some life into the game like it did with fallout NV and 3

Because lets be honest what kept those games alive for years wasn't the main game. It was the fact you could get a brahmain follower that shoots lazers out of its eyes, body replacers, and my favorite mod of all time , a freaking furry mod for fallout NV that allowed you to play as a fox anthro.

Until then fallout 76 has fallen on its face.

I would like suggest positive fixes for some of 76s problems rather than just be pissed at its faults. In that regard, I'd like to start sith PvP.

For every character you create, you decide if it is a PvP or noncombat character. A PvP character suffers full damage effects, and deals full damage to other PvP marked players. A noncombat character suffers and deals 1/4 damage to other players (including PvP players). The 1/4 number is slightly arbitrary, and could be tweaked. A player can change a character's combat status from the start screen.

Noncombat players should be graphicly communicated to PvP players. This allows them to decide if they really want to be a dick, or want to engage other PvPers. It also means a combatant trying to meatshield with noncombat players would be easily identifiable. In the event of combat between noncombat and pvp player's, they are still on a mostly equal playing field, but in a way that discourages combat between them in the first place. So raiders can still do their thing without being punished, but the combat against noncombat players is less satisfying.

Shadow of Bucephalus

Banned
Banned
One thing I've learned to value-
NOT keeping-up with the Joneses', and buying any/all newly released games as soon as they appear (with few exceptions)...
I love seeing the reviews, some of the shared video (but not too much, 'cause, 'Spoilers' ya know!), and then make a decision whether to put-down my few $$$'s to own the thing.
Happily, 'Fallout 75' will never appear in my library, unless I score it for mere pennies in the years to come.

C

CrookedCroc

Fallout 76 officially became worse than BoS.
A web glitch revealed the personal information of several players, information that includes addresses, names, etc

http://archive.is/4smFY

Fallout 76 is the gift that keeps on giving.
It's like Bethesda wants a bigger train wreck than Destiny 2

Slytherin Umbreon

Black Lives Matter
Fallout 76 officially became worse than BoS.
A web glitch revealed the personal information of several players, information that includes addresses, names, etc
It's times like this I'm glad I'm to broke to get robbed