• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fallout 76, and the flop it made

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
Man bethesda, I can't keep lowering the bloody bar for you. If I do people are going to start assuming I'm burying bodies again.

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
THATS WHAT THEY ALL SAY!!!!!!!!! *Reinstalls Guild Wars 2 after uninstalling several times laughs madly and curls into fetal position crying*
As someone who has been on a long term boycot of Amazon, and who used to use audible; I mean it. I'm not buying anymore Bethesda games until they clean up their shit.

C

CrookedCroc

As someone who has been on a long term boycot of Amazon, and who used to use audible; I mean it. I'm not buying anymore Bethesda games until they clean up their shit.

I would love to see more people as determined as you.

Lots of people quickly forget shit storms like these when companies give empty apologies and shitty gifts

On another note:
IMG_20181211_152516.jpg

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
As if this saga couldn't get any worse, it looks like they're going the loot box route according to some recent data mining:

Now, my only Fallout game might have been New Vegas (I HAVE 1, 2, Tactics, and 3, but never actually got around to playing any of them), but I'm avoiding the franchise like crazy if THIS is the route they're going.

It sucks - I want to boycott Bethesda entirely at this stage, even if it's just one of their three studios pulling this crap. Yet there's one game Bethesda's publishing that is definitely going to be nearly impossible for me to avoid.

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
Quite frankly I called it with Fallout 76 being a flop when they didn't even give any sort of gameplay footage or anything in the initial promo video. Nothing. Just a logo. And they wonder why people are enraged?

I stay away from buying ANY games until they fix their greedy shit. If the AAA companies can't get their head out of their asses and make quality games, then indie studios will simply take over.

They have millions upon millions of Dollars, and plenty of time to create good games. You see small teams of 2-5 create better games than this on a tiny budget. It's atrocious, suffice to say.

Quite frankly I called it with Fallout 76 being a flop when they didn't even give any sort of gameplay footage or anything in the initial promo video. Nothing. Just a logo. And they wonder why people are enraged?

I stay away from buying ANY games until they fix their greedy shit. If the AAA companies can't get their head out of their asses and make quality games, then indie studios will simply take over.

They have millions upon millions of Dollars, and plenty of time to create good games. You see small teams of 2-5 create better games than this on a tiny budget. It's atrocious, suffice to say.
It's all about dev time. Small indie teams don't have to put out a game in an unrealistic time frame to meet quarterly deadlines. AAA developers often have to complete infinitely more ambitious projects in half as much time or less. Corners get cut as a result.

A

A Lurker at the Threshold

I used to have a feeling of hope and excitement when I thought of Elder Scrolls 6. Since playing Fallout 76 however, these have been replaced with apprehension and fear.

I used to have a feeling of hope and excitement when I thought of Elder Scrolls 6. Since playing Fallout 76 however, these have been replaced with apprehension and fear.
I'd look at the size of the dev team, dev time, and scope compared to Skyrim. I'd also look at if they intend to change or replace the buggy ass engine they use.

Microtransactions are inevitable though, because crapitalism means a game has to meet exponentially increasing monetary goals, or cause a stock price drop. And the market can't bear an asking price over 60$ for a basic addition.

A

I'd look at the size of the dev team, dev time, and scope compared to Skyrim. I'd also look at if they intend to change or replace the buggy ass engine they use.

Microtransactions are inevitable though, because crapitalism means a game has to meet exponentially increasing monetary goals, or cause a stock price drop. And the market can't bear an asking price over 60$ for a basic addition.
Yeah, my main concern is based around the Creation Engine and Bethesda's aversion to the development of a replacement. I'm not quite as concerned with the "microtransaction meme" in Bethesda games since, as you pointed out, the monetary gains are too much of an incentive. I only hope that Bethesda avoids the pay-to-win type of microtransactions.

Yeah, my main concern is based around the Creation Engine and Bethesda's aversion to the development of a replacement. I'm not quite as concerned with the "microtransaction meme" in Bethesda games since, as you pointed out, the monetary gains are too much of an incentive. I only hope that Bethesda avoids the pay-to-win type of microtransactions.
It's hard to define "pay to win" in single player games, but it is doable. Having games be unreasonably grindy or difficult without items or boosts from microtransactions, or having pay-to-skip IRL wait times are common offenders. Its hard to say 76 could have pay to win microtransactions when the combat is so fucked to begin with though....

A

It's hard to define "pay to win" in single player games, but it is doable. Having games be unreasonably grindy or difficult without items or boosts from microtransactions, or having pay-to-skip IRL wait times are common offenders. Its hard to say 76 could have pay to win microtransactions when the combat is so fucked to begin with though....
Too true, with fallout 76 in the state that it's in, microtransactions are the least of my worries. My current strategy is to wait until the game is reasonably patched and then attempt a playthrough.

A

To be fair, switching to a new engine is one of the reasons Duke Nukem Forever took ... y'know, forever.
I'm not too familiar with the Duke Nukem Series and I realize that a new engine would require an enormous amount of resources. However I would like to think that Bethesda would have realized the need for at least a fix to the Creation Engine, particularly after the bugs that plagued fallout 4 at launch. I did see an interesting video the other day that makes an attempt at explaining the current situation, though I admit it borders on the conspiratorial at times.

C

CrookedCroc

As if this saga couldn't get any worse, it looks like they're going the loot box route according to some recent data mining

It's like they enjoy driving away their audience...

Yeah, my main concern is based around the Creation Engine and Bethesda's aversion to the development of a replacement

They will never change the engine, it is way to easy to use and modify. It saves them time, effort and allows them to shift staff around.

I've even seen people use the Morrowind level editor on Fallout 3 and Skyrim. I know there are videos showing this but I can't find them atm. If I stumble onto them I'll post em right away