• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Family History

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
What is your family history? Below I'll tell my story and then you can tell yours

My family was actually in America long before the revolutionary war, and when it happened, my forefathers were there on the front lines fighting for freedom. Fast forward a bit and it gets a tad worse. Some of my relatives actually joined the Confederacy which I hate with a passion. But I do take solace in the fact that some of my other relatives joined the Union and fought for what was right. Fast forward a bit and my family fought in WWII against dem damn fascists. I wish I remembered their names so I could remember them properly when visiting my family's grave site. My family has always fought when the call of duty was sounded. All in all I feel mighty proud of my family. So. Tell me about your family history!

On the paternal side, my great grandparents emigrated to the US from the Baltic region. They came through Ellis Island with no money and couldn't speak English. Back then the American Dream was a real thing. They ended up in Massachusetts, worked in a pants factory and saved enough money to send my grandfather to college to become a physicist. He helped developed the bomb sites that allowed night time bombing raids in WW2. My father was an electrical engineer who worked for a NASA contractor for awhile where he worked on the LEM (Lunar Exclusion Module) that went to the moon.

My maternal grandparents were from the Netherlands. My grandfather was in the Dutch Army Corps of Engineers and was a POW in WW2. My grandmother was Indonesian, but she passed away before I was born. My mother emigrated to the US and became an accountant.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
I wish I knew specifics. My parents snuck into the U.S. from Mexico in the dead of night when they were both 16, along with a baby (my oldest brother), and two close friends. I'm the first generation of my family to be living in the U.S.

I know my father's side of the family is from France, most likely having came in during the French invasion. I don't know much about his history, but I do know that his mom opened her own beauty salon over thirty years ago and has been managing that since.

My mother's side of the family are descendants of slaves. My great grandparents lived in the state of Hidalgo before moving to Mexico City. God knows what they did for work since they were dirt poor, and they had eight kids to feed. My grandma left them to start her own family, but she married the wrong guy and was left alone with five kids and an accounting job that paid less than the bare minimum. They were living in a large apartment building during the quake of 1985, and as my mother recalls, the buildings surrounding their own collapsed to rubble. Their home was spared.

There aren't many good points in my family's history. The pressure of being something greater than my ancestors is definitely there.

D

Deleted member 111470

A lot of the men in my family have served in the military. But I guess I didn't inherit that.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
I wish I knew specifics. My parents snuck into the U.S. from Mexico in the dead of night when they were both 16, along with a baby (my oldest brother), and two close friends. I'm the first generation of my family to be living in the U.S.

I know my father's side of the family is from France, most likely having came in during the French invasion. I don't know much about his history, but I do know that his mom opened her own beauty salon over thirty years ago and has been managing that since.

My mother's side of the family are descendants of slaves. My great grandparents lived in the state of Hidalgo before moving to Mexico City. God knows what they did for work since they were dirt poor, and they had eight kids to feed. My grandma left them to start her own family, but she married the wrong guy and was left alone with five kids and an accounting job that paid less than the bare minimum. They were living in a large apartment building during the quake of 1985, and as my mother recalls, the buildings surrounding their own collapsed to rubble. Their home was spared.

There aren't many good points in my family's history. The pressure of being something greater than my ancestors is definitely there.
Sometimes you have to accept the fact you won't be greater. I can't top my forefathers that fought in the revolutionary war or WWII. The best thing you can do is be the best self you can be. As long as you're doing your best, you've succeeded in my book.

Guifrog

Blue Frog
The Tabajaras is one of several groups of people (known as Tupi) that originally inhabited the northeastern coast. They'd live from fishing, hunting, collecting fruit and some farming as well. They were one of the first to get in contact with Portuguese colonizers, and are well-known for their successive migrations, due to constant land conflicts since the colonial period. Eventually, a native woman from the Tabajara tribe married this Portuguese guy from a wealthy family through their traditional ritual, which led to and end on those conflicts and the origin of one of my surnames - it literally translates to "Green Bow". Also funnily enough, "Tabajara" means both "enemy" and "brother-in-law" in Tupi language.

This branch of my family, from my father's side, has settled in Pernambuco to this day. Further in history, there were farmers and product sellers; my grandpa owned a small but varied warehouse, learned to read in his 20's through the help of a dictionary and some random encounters, and wrote poems and short stories about both townlife and his family, all reunited in a book that was never published commercially but remains as a relic for us.

On my mother's side, things are more obscure. My sister theorizes, from her original surname, that we might be one of the many Jew families from the Iberian Peninsula that adopted plant and animal names to their identities as a way of hiding from the Inquisition. Apparently that was not exclusive to them, though, as many old traditional Christian families and multi-ethnic families in Brazil happen to have the same nature-based names.

So I know nothing about my mother's great parents. My grandma was a nun is all I'm aware of ;P

The only thing I know that my ancestors were multicellular Latvians

DC680F14-A006-452B-9B95-D95967680471.jpeg

CreatureOfHabit

Just Another Artist™
The paternal side of my family is pretty well researched and documented thanks to my dad being a total history nerd, haha. They showed up in the States pretty early; to give you an idea of how early some of them came over, Mad Jack Oldham is actually an ancestor of mine. My dad can list off a whole bunch of other names from the family tree, but I can only remember a few. I'm pretty sure Mad Jack's the only one with a Wikipedia page.

Most of my dad's side of the family hails from England, Scotland, and France, with a random dash of Norwegian, and some of them served in the Confederate Army. I don't have any issues with the latter fact; they genuinely believed that they were fighting to preserve their freedoms, and there's no record of any of our relatives owning anyone else, from what my dad can dig up. We have a lot of soldiers on that side of the family, actually; my grandfather served in WWII and most men on that side of the family have served in one branch or another.

My mother's side of the family is where it gets a little interesting. My great-grandmother immigrated from Czechoslovakia in the early 1900s. We do know the name of her hometown, but I can't remember it right now. It was somewhere near Brno. My grandmother grew up speaking Czech way more than she spoke English, and was bullied pretty badly in school for having an accent. By the time I was born, she'd completely lost it, but as a result of her experience, she refused to speak or teach Czech to my mom, her siblings, or any of the grandkids. I didn't even know she spoke it until she met my neighbor, who also spoke Czech, and they had an entire conversation I couldn't understand.

We don't know much else about my great-grandmother's side of the family, and we're pretty sure that her maiden name was a shortened form of something else the immigration people couldn't be arsed to spell. According to my mom, my great-grandmother was a lot more about preserving that part of our heritage than my grandmother, but she died before I was born, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Punkedsolar

Never say never
I am Pākehā - a white living in Pasifika. My family were part of the pro-independence Sinn Féin in the early 20th century (and in independence in the 19th century). They got tired of being harassed for their religion and feared the mounting violence, and fled to NZ on the other side of the world.

They integrated with the Māori tribes in South Island, who were kind enough to take them in. I assume the story there is very complex and has elements of romanticising what happened, though my family remains very pro-Māori sovereignty as they saw parallels between the Pākehā occupation of NZ and the English of Ireland. In any case, I come from a white family which lost their Irish and English speakers and spoke Māori until two generations ago. I was raised with some Māori tabu, which I was very surprised to realise as an older child that other Pākehā kids didn't follow.

My Grandfather went to school on a horse, sitting on a blanket, without saddle or reins or shirt, and became a language scholar who translated between English, Latin and Māori. I only speak English and smatterings of other languages myself, and I no longer live in NZ, but I still regard it very fondly and support the sovereignty of the Indigenous cultures of Pasifika.

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
Family legend says we owned part of a company that made rivets for a VERY famous boat.. Shame it never made it.. Bloody iceburgs.

(My boss jokingly blamed me for the sinking of the Titanic as well as some other disasters one day. His face when I mentioned the above story was priceless! X) )

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
Family legend says we owned part of a company that made rivets for a VERY famous boat.. Shame it never made it.. Bloody iceburgs.

(My boss jokingly blamed me for the sinking of the Titanic as well as some other disasters one day. His face when I mentioned the above story was priceless! X) )
Rule of Acquisition #19: Satisfaction is not guaranteed.