• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Farcry 2

Rayne

Get out of here, stalker!
The checkpoints are begining to annoy me as well. The Springfield has really helped out though. :grin:

I prefer ye old M79 and Mk. 19. Nothing like some 40mm grenades to brighten your day. 8)

blackfuredfox

is a Gunnery Sergeant now.
No no, standing on it wont cost mu--oh.. Oh! Yeah.. hundred or so without your warranty =/ There's some videos on youtube that explain some ways that MIGHT fix it, its basically pushing a piece that got pull out of place by the magnetic pull of the disc

thank god it was just the disc i guess someone hit my 360 and screwed the disc up boy are they gonna be made at the rental place

Tudd

I prefer ye old M79 and Mk. 19. Nothing like some 40mm grenades to brighten your day. 8)

And here I was thinking I was doing it "old skool" with the M1903. :rolleyes:

Explosives always make for good times when they're not point at you. :grin:

Mr Fox said:
Hopefully this game will come tomorrow, hopefully

If all is right in the cosmos you shall get it. :eek:

Mr Fox

Rainbows... Uber!
hawspam.jpg

May i spam this thread fine chaps?

Teco

Informal Formalist
thank god it was just the disc i guess someone hit my 360 and screwed the disc up boy are they gonna be made at the rental place

Ha.. just.. slowly put it back in the case, give it back to them and walk the hell away awkwardly

blackfuredfox

is a Gunnery Sergeant now.
Ha.. just.. slowly put it back in the case, give it back to them and walk the hell away awkwardly

probably what ill do but what was strange is that when i opened the disc tray the disc was still spinning, none of my other games have done that.

Teco

Informal Formalist
probably what ill do but what was strange is that when i opened the disc tray the disc was still spinning, none of my other games have done that.

ew. weird.

But yeah! I got to play it alittle, its pretty sweet

Kyoujin

SOCK GOES WHAR?
I love the Farcry map editor as always, and the multiplayer is fun though it can be pretty hard.. at least until you get your upgrades. But boy does the single player get annoying.. almost every mission you take is on the other side of the map, sometimes if you're lucky they'll be close to a bus station.. if not, you have to drive there, usually go through checkpoints (and why does EVERY person randomly shoot at you? Even if you're driving a civvie vehicle). Other than that, I do like the game. It's especially fun getting to choose how you want to do your mission.. stealth, or guns blazing. My favorite one was when I had to assassinate some guy in the middle of a village on a lake. Waited til it was dark and rainy, ran across the cliffs and sniped him.. then escaped without anyone ever seeing me. xD That was fun.

LordWibble

I still can't really tell if I hate the game or not. I need to collect my thoughts and then actually explain why I hate it.

Teco

Informal Formalist
Aye, the whole driving across the map to a mission and then back was annoying me, specially when you're playing the hardest difficulty and going through those checkpoints takes out your vehicle and they just so happen to not have one

lilEmber

Small Dragon
I like the driving, it just feels so realistic. Though it's also because my settings are high thus making everything I do in the game look really good. Also using the boats as a sniping platform is really fun. <3

Teco

Informal Formalist

Tudd

really? I havent gotten to play that yet... is it bugged? Broken?

Relative to big titles such as CoD4 and the like, its useless. Death only happens with headshots (with any sort of speed) and those are mildly too difficult to achieve.

In other words, its not my type of shooter as the further away from Rainbow Six 3 you move, the less I enjoy. Whether or not that's even close to useful to you, thats a totally different story. :grin:

Teco

Informal Formalist
Relative to big titles such as CoD4 and the like, its useless. Death only happens with headshots (with any sort of speed) and those are mildly too difficult to achieve.

In other words, its not my type of shooter as the further away from Rainbow Six 3 you move, the less I enjoy. Whether or not that's even close to useful to you, thats a totally different story. :grin:

Hm, personally I like games where you're hard to kill.. means the person with more skill should win in a fight. I do hope they fix Cod5, I dont like my zero death kill streaks being ended by the guy with no kills that magically spawns behind me. -.-;

lilEmber

Small Dragon
Well it's not so much it's hard to kill someone... the PC online is bugged, there are several on-shot-kill weapons that you have to unlock and everybody seems to have them, it's laggy, and there is no VOIP...So it's like shooting fish in a barrel if you have vent and a team.

Teco

Informal Formalist
Well it's not so much it's hard to kill someone... the PC online is bugged, there are several on-shot-kill weapons that you have to unlock and everybody seems to have them, it's laggy, and there is no VOIP...So it's like shooting fish in a barrel if you have vent and a team.

Ah, I see... a bad design. And what of the 360 version? I assume more of the same?

LordWibble

Why I hate Far Cry 2:
A look into open-world games with Lord Wibble.

Firstly, and this needs to be said, I don't like open world games. Well, I don't like open world games because of their open worlds. I hate GTA, and most of its clones leave me cold. However, four particular open world games are four of my favourite games ever. These are Assassin's Creed, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (not Clear Sky, there's an important difference to be discussed later), Morrowind and Oblivion. The reason I loved these games is thus: immersion. I loved just being able to inhabit a living, breathing (not so much in STALKER's case) world. I know that doing nothing all day but walking around, talking to people and looking at stuff sounds incredibly boring, but for some reason I just get a kick out of it.

So now we have Far Cry 2. A (mostly) HUD-less open-world game set in 50km2 of Africa, by one of my favourite developers. Sa-weet says I. So after hours of DRM-related woes I finally get the game up and running. The rather lengthy opening sequence gave me high hopes for the game as I saw the beautiful (artistically anyway) savannah, and was shown the fire effects, animals etc. After a couple of missions I was acclimated with the games play style, and fairly competent at stealthy actions. The missions are enjoyable but largely repetitive. It would be a repetitive yet immersive and wonderful experience but for a couple of things.

First off, the graphics. Any and all comparisons to Crysis are wholly unjustified, as they're very nearly polar opposites. Crysis is a stunningly detailed and good-looking game in a generic, bland tropical environment, whereas Far Cry 2 is a plastic mess with reasonably strong art direction. How I am I supposed to find it immersive when the sniper rifle I'm holding looks like a child's plaything? Vehicles and objects tend to be very blocky, and much of the vegetation looks awful. The game runs like a dog to boot. I like to think I'm above graphics-whoring, but the visuals seriously detract from the experience here. Contrast this to STALKER, which released with a seriously outdated graphics engine. But from the dirt on sniper scopes and binoculars, to the way the weapons handled, everything felt real.

And then there's the guard posts. Jesus Christ I hate these goddamn things. Seriously, they're annoying, repetitive, pointless wastes of space that ruin immersion. When I spend three hours wading through guard posts to get to an objective and then ten minutes completing it, I get rather ticked off. The constant jeep patrols are yet another annoyance that have to be constantly dealt with. Admittedly such things cropped up in both STALKER and Assassin's Creed, but in the former they were few and far between, and in the latter they only really cropped up late-game, when you've had plenty of time to enjoy the world for what it is.

The AI is another gripe. Alternately making stealth challenge-less by staring straight at walls when I'm right next to them and turning round and shooting my face off from ~100m away while I'm sitting camouflaged in long grass.

Normally these sorts of things would feel like minor niggles at best, but they present serious issues with my enjoyment of the game. All I want to do is ride a jeep around the area hunting diamonds, but the game seems hell-bent on stopping that. The constant attacks by guard posts and patrols grate at my nerves and make me hate every second I spend with the game. The AI means I don't enjoy how I'm fighting them, and the graphics mean I don't enjoy where I'm fighting them. And really, when all you can think whilst playing a game is 'jesus christ, will this game just fuck off already?' That's not great design.

tldr; The game would be awesome if there were no people in it.

Also, this is absolute gold.

Last edited:

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
I still don't understand this plastic thing. Do you know what plastic looks like because you clearly don't.

Tip: Go around Guard posts. You can avoid 70% of them this way. You don't have to go very far either to avoid them either.

TheComet

DJ Comet
The cure for any guard post headache:

Silent MP5
Silent Makarov
Dart Rifle
well places molotov cocktail

or if all else fails.

FLAMETHROWER.

pretty good game, the buddy AI needs some work on not dying and some of the voiceacting is iffy, but overall I have fun with it.

The map editor is crazy, you can do a TON with it

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
pretty good game, the buddy AI needs some work on not dying and some of the voiceacting is iffy, but overall I have fun with it.
I had the dude with the Cornrow hair for a Rescue-buddy in the second map. He died, no matter how many Stabbys I put in him :(
He had to coming to him though, he wasn't very good at the rescue thing. He'd normally drag me into an area with more baddies, eg: An outpost, a 'special area' (Post Office, Dental Clinic, etc. etc.) and end up getting shot himself :? This time I guess his body had enough.

Hard game is hard

The single player in this kicked my ass so hard I'm currently shitting out of my forehead, probably was a bad idea to play it on the normal difficulty on the first go. Loved how I got a Springfield 1903 lefty model that really made sense, so did the abundance of lefty AK47s and every other gun being a lefty model. Can someone please explain to me why in videogames is every gun oriented for lefties but used by a right handed character?

Also I loved when the AR16 I randomly found blew up in the middle of a firefight; that was so helpful, same with the Makerov two seconds later. Also, the SPAS is now the death machine to me because once I got it anything foolish enough to get in range was royally raped in the face with buckshot pellets or was a soon to be exploding car.

Also I'm pissed that my character didn't talk in game; I purposefully choose Frank, the Irish dude so I could hear a funny Irish accent the whole time I played, only to be disappointed. Oh well.

Farcry 2 is way better then that broken ass Mercenaries 2, that's for damned sure.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
Uh...you do know, most of those weapons are actually lefty...in real life.

In fact, almost every bolt action rifle can be swapped to either side.

The AK47 has different models, it's about 50/50 on what side the bolt is on as well.

And also, they have tons of AK's, if you don't pay attention the jackel is supplying arms to both the APA and UFLL, mostly he's taking the arms from other wars and countries, so there is a abundancy of G3's and such. Also, they made it so as you play along the enemies gear slowly gets better as well. It is a game...by the way.