• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA's New Mascot, Fender

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Keffria said:
Very nice Mitch... Personaly I could take or leave the long torso *grins* he's a cutie either way... But I still like the vest over the tie *shrugs* that's just me... if I had some time I'd take a shot at a fan art piece.
Then do a pic of him with the vest. =P

theFinalFlight

I really don't see what the big deal is about the mascot. Yes, it's true everyone has a right to their opinion on the matter, but complaining about why you hate it doesn't make it go away. As some of the other posters suggested, if there are anatomy or structural styles about those particular images you're not fond of, try them in your own style.

I really don't think voting for a mascot would have made much of a difference, anyway. There would be those who supported it and disapproved of it no matter which won.

I personally think the design is very cute. It's true there are some stereotypical elements to it, but let's face it, it comes with the territory; every fandom (furrydom included) has it's more popular elements. I think he has enough character to him to make him interesting. And if I didn't, well I'd just override the header image and move on :3

comidacomida

I really don't have an opinion on the mascot. I think anything is fine one way or another and that having a ferret-fox, a hawk-wolf, a rhino-goldfish, or whatever might be presented will in no way affect the validity of FA or the quality of what is presented herein.

There are so many other wonderful things to get worked up over that this seems entirely trivial. Now, to avoid making that the main basis for my post, I'd like to add:

people are so worried about considering a tie or a vest; is there anything wrong with drawing Fender with a tie AND a vest?

not that I'd draw him personally (to be honest, my skills in that regard are severely lacking) but hey... it's a thought.

Oh good gods.... Why are people bitching over realizm vs toonism? "The torso is too long!" "The legs are too short!" "I don't like the outfit!" Then draw it your own way for gods sake! People should not be complaining if they have no intention of actually offering an alternative. I for one will offer one or two ideas that I'll submit on my FA page for everyone to see thanyouverymuch. I like and know about all sorts of animals, and ferrets are SUPPOSED to have short legs and long bodies. Maybe I know too much about animals, who knows. But my own oppinion is if you're not about to offer an alternative, then you have no room to complain really. If you find an error and politely let the admins know about it, that's being helpful, but bitching about things just to be annoying doesn't help anyone.

Now to get down to the business of drawing... **grabs pencils and sketchbook and starts scribbling**

Pico

MistressLeathurkatt said:
Oh good gods.... Why are people bitching over realizm vs toonism? "The torso is too long!" "The legs are too short!" "I don't like the outfit!" Then draw it your own way for gods sake! People should not be complaining if they have no intention of actually offering an alternative. I for one will offer one or two ideas that I'll submit on my FA page for everyone to see thanyouverymuch. I like and know about all sorts of animals, and ferrets are SUPPOSED to have short legs and long bodies. Maybe I know too much about animals, who knows. But my own oppinion is if you're not about to offer an alternative, then you have no room to complain really. If you find an error and politely let the admins know about it, that's being helpful, but bitching about things just to be annoying doesn't help anyone.

Now to get down to the business of drawing... **grabs pencils and sketchbook and starts scribbling**

Sorry to say, but your post seems to be the most bitchy so far :* A lot of people /are/ complaining about the mascot, but not everyone can draw and those who can't draw realize that it's just easier to make suggestions. And there's nothing wrong with suggestions. However, I for one assumed that this is sort of a finalized design, which could be tweaked slightly but will most likely remain as-is. I don't have any desire to draw this mascot anyway because I don't like the character overall.

No matter what, people WILL complain about it. They'll complain about this one, they'd complain about one that had been voted on, they'd complain if there were no mascot at all. Unfortunately, it's just how things are when it comes to this sort of thing.

TehSean

weasyl.com/profile/naoki
Wasn't there talk of allowing the user to control their banner?

I do believe that FurAffinity gave the user full control over their gallery's layout, to the point that they could include or exclude the mascot's appearance with a banner they themselves could choose.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
TehSean said:
Wasn't there talk of allowing the user to control their banner?

I do believe that FurAffinity gave the user full control over their gallery's layout, to the point that they could include or exclude the mascot's appearance with a banner they themselves could choose.
That will more than likely return in time.

wut

Actually it was the CSS styling itself that was the most bug ridden "feature", not changing a banner...which could easily be done seeing as it's basically a IF (banners exists in users gallery from a banner category) THEN (display banner chosen in profile) ELSE (display default banner) situation. If I could remember PHP then I could write something to better demonstrate it.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
wut said:
Actually it was the CSS styling itself that was the most bug ridden "feature", not changing a banner...which could easily be done seeing as it's basically a IF (banners exists in users gallery from a banner category) THEN (display banner chosen in profile) ELSE (display default banner) situation. If I could remember PHP then I could write something to better demonstrate it.
Yes, uploading banners shouldn't be a problem. Once we iron out most of the more troublesome bugs, we'll start to really look at new features. Functionality is a higher priority.

Delian

And now, the truth.

Well, since everyone likes opinions I'll give you mine.

This mascot is bad. Annoyingly bad. Well, at least I don't like the current design. Sure the artist is great, but this? a mascot? .. :(

First of all, he looks far too old. Mascot isn't supposed to be some middle-aged fur who jumps around happily. To me, it just doesn't fit together and I get chills sent down my spine every time hehe.

Second, he's too muscled and detailed. Like some kind of a hulk lol. Mascot should be easy to draw, with little to no anatomy specifications. What you have here is too complex for average artist's liking since drawing him woulde be like, a whole comission. Too style specific.

And also a few other things. I don't like the nails. They make him look like a monkey, that is.. too human. And the way hands and feet are drawn is too monkey-like too. =P Well, at least the feet. The hands are kinda big to start with. In my opinion, it looks like gay furry artist's artwork, judging by the muscle work and the oh-so-sexy chest. Yes, I'm not a gay, but you should still listen to me when I say that having a gay mascot is not to average furry's liking.

In any case, if you wanna make a ferret, make him look smaller, and cuddly, with a few certain characteristics. And if possible of neutral gender. And everyone will be happy, unlike now, where every other opinion is negative. The artist is good, but putting Fender as a mascot would be too one-sided move, like the last one.

If you check SA you will see what I mean. I don't like them, but at least their mascot is cute. :?

*now wonders if anyone else agrees with him*

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Re: And now, the truth.

Delian said:
Well, since everyone likes opinions I'll give you mine...
K9's rendition is a more realistic version of the mascot. In chibi-style, I assure you... he'd be as a button. This is just one art form the mascot was drawn in. Cartoony, his design is simple and easy to draw.

One art style does not make a character good bad. It just means that the character may or may not translate well into different art styles. Ferret/fox was chosen BECAUSE it's easy to draw.

You'll see alternating versions of the mascot soon. Mutley's version is far, far different than K9's, which conveys more of a simplistic version of him, which lends more to the toony style.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen

Preyfar said:
Mutley's version is far, far different than K9's, which conveys more of a simplistic version of him, which lends more to the toony style.

The curve of it's tail, body & arm draws the eye along and down, the oval shadow providing a link back over to the feet & tail and the eye starts round again.

It's compact and contained and the simple colours prevent it from bothering the viewer.

The preternaturally long torso looks more acceptable drawn in that style, because it's not asking the brain to accept it as an attempt at any form of realism, and of course the fact that it's not just standing there flexing it's Adonis like muscles is a bonus too.

It is, in my opinion, far more suited for a logo/mascot and I at least would be content to see such an image be used thereof.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator

Dave Hyena said:
It is, in my opinion, far more suited for a logo/mascot and I at least would be content to see such an image be used thereof.
I agree, which is why I asked Mutley to do a rendition of Fender for the main site. If he accepts, it's all double plus good in my book.

Delian

Preyfar said:
K9's rendition is a more realistic version of the mascot. In chibi-style, I assure you... he'd be as a button. This is just one art form the mascot was drawn in. Cartoony, his design is simple and easy to draw.
Unfortunately there is no real chibi (super degenerated) style of Fender yet. And there will be none if people keep taking too many references from K9. And no, Mutley's version isn't that much better. Somewhat better, but there's still the anatomy. And altho he does look a bit younger, his grin on this version is weird lol. There's still some radical changes to be made. Perhaps removing the clothes and leaving the tie could look interesting. And some of the changes I mentioned before hehe.

One art style does not make a character good bad. It just means that the character may or may not translate well into different art styles. Ferret/fox was chosen BECAUSE it's easy to draw.
I think the 'may not translate' would be closer to my opinion here. Well, they were basically just sketches. Still, a different base mascot would be needed for that.

You'll see alternating versions of the mascot soon. Mutley's version is far, far different than K9's, which conveys more of a simplistic version of him, which lends more to the toony style.
I hope I will, but for now, I'm really not impressed. X_x

Nobod3

I don't think it is demoralizing, 'cause we could always do some pretty bad (no minds in the gutter now) things to him, so this is actually pretty cool once you consider what we could do to him. I would like to see him less cartoony though, 'cause it's hard to take a site seriously when you have a cartoony mascot

Gronthar

You could add a submission category of mascott fan art.

Although something tells me fender could be one of those mascots you love to hate... personally i think the anti-fender art I've seen is hilarious. I wouldn't mind keep fender as long as we get to torture him. ^_^

Of course, I would like to see al the possible fender variations out there too.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Gronthar said:
You could add a submission category of mascott fan art.

Although something tells me fender could be one of those mascots you love to hate... personally i think the anti-fender art I've seen is hilarious. I wouldn't mind keep fender as long as we get to torture him. ^_^

Of course, I would like to see al the possible fender variations out there too.
Well, the good thing about Fender is the English can't torture him. He's rather immune to The Rack.

Keto

mutley said:
I like it.

Fender.jpg

LOL damn Mutley, great work as usual. DEFINATELY looking forward to seeing your new art once FA is up. there should be some special event thing the first day FA is up... like...something

theFinalFlight

Mutley did a fantastic interpretation, I think. Very adorable, and very expressive!

I still don't understand all of this drama over one mascot. It is simply that, a mascot. It's not a character or symbol you're being forced to bow before. If you're not fond of him, then ignore him. No one is forcing you to accept or approve of it. In fact, I think some of the changes or ideas suggested so far are rather nice. Why not actually back up those thoughts by drawing him in <i>your</i> style, following your own ideas on what the changes should be rather than listing your complaints against it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the mascot's design is just a general idea. It's up to each artist to interpret him how they see fit. I myself have some ideas I'd like to try with him, and I intend to do just that. That's why I'm not typing up a massive lists of complaints.

Again, it's just a mascot, and certainly not the end of the world or the downfall of FA's reputation.