• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FA's search function is broken

Ciderfine

Slow as sickness but true as sap
Banned
Exactly what the title says.

The main issue is that artists have stopped tagging and we have a huge flood of artists wrongly tagging their submissions in every way as well as the alien search function that keeps using such strange terms (ways) to help someone find something.

I've had heterosexual things come up when I use gay only terms, crafting submissions that are swf when adult terms are used. The entire system is broken.

I

Infrarednexus

This is most likely because people want there art to be shown to more people, so they either remove restricting tags or add unnecessary ones. There also might be a bit of trolling behind this, but that is less likely than the other possibilities. E6 gets really irritated when this happens and the comments are flooded with complaints about the subject. Either the system is broken or people are abusing the hell out of it.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
That's hardly surprising.
There's not much on FA that isn't broken.

Anyway, I've been having issues with the search too. Someone told me I could use a - prefix on tags to exclude them from the search, but that doesn't actually work and it counts that as another tag.

So, for example, if you search "dragon -diaper" hoping to only see dragons and not any submissions with diapers in, it won't work. It will show even more diapers because it's not counting the - prefix.

Ciderfine

Banned

Anyway, I've been having issues with the search too. Someone told me I could use a - prefix on tags to exclude them from the search, but that doesn't actually work and it counts that as another tag.

So, for example, if you search "dragon -diaper" hoping to only see dragons and not any submissions with diapers in, it won't work. It will show even more diapers because it's not counting the - prefix.

Who ever told you the "-" worked was lying, only image boards like R34, and e621 work with that. I cant find anything animated without some asset stolen or non animated thing appears that has a user directing everyone to some shady website to see what ever animation they have.

Oddly enough even with basic tags, I'm often met with hardcore fetishes that have nothing to do with the base term I have searched for. Its not just broken, its a cancer. Its nearly impossible to find anything given how the lack of tags and the use of false tags have infested the entire system.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
Who ever told you the "-" worked was lying, only image boards like R34, and e621 work with that. I cant find anything animated without some asset stolen or non animated thing appears that has a user directing everyone to some shady website to see what ever animation they have.

Oddly enough even with basic tags, I'm often met with hardcore fetishes that have nothing to do with the base term I have searched for. Its not just broken, its a cancer. Its nearly impossible to find anything given how the lack of tags and the use of false tags have infested the entire system.

Pretty sure it was a mod who told me that, so that's even more amusing.

G

Ginza

Sadly, this is just how it is right now. I can’t search up SFW feral wolf art without ending up (for whatever reason, is beyond me) with results of some dragon inflation vore shit. The tag system is in need of some moderating and updates

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned

Try an exclamation mark as a prefix instead. You'll still have to put up with people who don't use tags properly if at all, but a "!" prefix is what FA uses as its NOT operator.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
Try an exclamation mark as a prefix instead. You'll still have to put up with people who don't use tags properly if at all, but a "!" prefix is what FA uses as its NOT operator.

Nope, that didn't work either. Like using the - prefix, it just counted it as another tag.

quoting_mungo

Who ever told you the "-" worked was lying, only image boards like R34, and e621 work with that.
Um, no. While I tend to recommend using ! over - (in part because - is a valid character in FA usernames), both are negators that FA's search engine will understand and respect.

Works fine for me. Of course with the caveat that the search needs the word to be somewhere; if it's not mentioned in title/description/filename/keywords, the search engine doesn't know to exclude the submission.

The main issue is that artists have stopped tagging and we have a huge flood of artists wrongly tagging their submissions in every way as well as the alien search function that keeps using such strange terms (ways) to help someone find something.
If things are using tags that don't apply, you can report that under "Inappropriate Classification". Keep in mind that unless you're using the @keywords prefix, search will include results where e.g. your search term can be found in the title or description of the submission, which may sometimes yield false positives.

Ciderfine

Banned
Um, no. While I tend to recommend using ! over - (in part because - is a valid character in FA usernames), both are negators that FA's search engine will understand and respect.

Works fine for me. Of course with the caveat that the search needs the word to be somewhere; if it's not mentioned in title/description/filename/keywords, the search engine doesn't know to exclude the submission.

If things are using tags that don't apply, you can report that under "Inappropriate Classification". Keep in mind that unless you're using the @keywords prefix, search will include results where e.g. your search term can be found in the title or description of the submission, which may sometimes yield false positives.
Sorry but what you said still doesnt work and I'm not waiting 3 months to have an Admin visit a trouble ticket only to have a user be upset and attack me that someone flagged their gallery or an upload under an AUP violation.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned

Alright, then how do you explain this?

First of all, I apologize for the vulgar subject matter; but it's the only thing I could think of to get my point across that I know would show a lot of results.

I'm not going to show the actual results because they're deeply NSFW, (and some NSFL too) but I tried several different searches and here's what I found.

"femboy !anal" and "femboy -anal" returned results of anal sex; and didn't seem to be any different from searching "femboy" by itself.

I did take into consideration that people aren't tagging their works; which probably a big part of it. However, in the screenshot I provided, the system appears to be considering the blacklisted tag as a regular tag.

That being said, even if the system worked like you said it does, we shouldn't have to add a massive list of prefixed tags every time we do a search.
I don't want to be typing out "!anal !butt !ass !anus !fart !diaper !transformation !hyper !musk !horse" when I go looking for stuff. This is why a personal blacklist is necessary.

And also, make mistagging or failing to tag specific fetishes a punishable offense. I just got a warning for having an "inappropriate" quote on my profile - on an 18+ fetish site with virtually no limits - so it wouldn't be too harsh to warn people for abusing/not using the tag system, would it?
Or just don't let people submit until they tag. You can't upload a submission without a description. Do the same for tags.

S

Sagt

First of all, I apologize for the vulgar subject matter; but it's the only thing I could think of to get my point across that I know would show a lot of results.

I'm not going to show the actual results because they're deeply NSFW, (and some NSFL too) but I tried several different searches and here's what I found.

"femboy !anal" and "femboy -anal" returned results of anal sex; and didn't seem to be any different from searching "femboy" by itself.

I did take into consideration that people aren't tagging their works; which probably a big part of it. However, in the screenshot I provided, the system appears to be considering the blacklisted tag as a regular tag.

That being said, even if the system worked like you said it does, we shouldn't have to add a massive list of prefixed tags every time we do a search.
I don't want to be typing out "!anal !butt !ass !anus !fart !diaper !transformation !hyper !musk !horse" when I go looking for stuff. This is why a personal blacklist is necessary.

And also, make mistagging or failing to tag specific fetishes a punishable offense. I just got a warning for having an "inappropriate" quote on my profile - on an 18+ fetish site with virtually no limits - so it wouldn't be too harsh to warn people for abusing/not using the tag system, would it?
Or just don't let people submit until they tag. You can't upload a submission without a description. Do the same for tags.

I was curious and tried it myself - I definitely get very different results when I type 'dog !inflation' instead of 'dog inflation'.

Here's some pictures as evidence, although I put them in spoilers just in case they're considered NSFW.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
I was curious and tried it myself - I definitely get very different results when I type 'dog !inflation' instead of 'dog inflation'.

Here's some pictures as evidence, although I put them in spoilers just in case they're considered NSFW.

You're using the classic layout.
Could that be the reason it's failing for me, since I'm using the Beta? I don't see how that could affect the search engine though.

S

Sagt

I just swapped themes and got the same results.
(By the way, I didn't know there was a beta theme until now - this theme is so much more user-friendly than classic.)

I don't really use FA, so I'm mostly clueless here. That said, I'm thinking you may have altered some settings on your account, and perhaps one of these changes had an impact on the search engine.

If I were you, I would log out and then give '!' a try. If it works after logging out, then the issue must be specific to your account.

Last edited by a moderator:

quoting_mungo

I don't know the finer details of how the search works under the hood, but my guess would be that it can't exclude results featuring "anal" without finding which results to exclude. So it's telling you how many times it found the search term for reference. Admittedly not ideal from a UI POV. You can see it did the same in @Lcs's screenshots, even though the results are clearly different.

And also, make mistagging or failing to tag specific fetishes a punishable offense.
Misleading tags are a punishable offense. Mandatory tagging isn't a thing at this time, however.

on an 18+ fetish site with virtually no limits
Um. FA is a 13+ site. Content in public areas must be suitable for general audiences. This is clearly stated in COC.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
Um. FA is a 13+ site. Content in public areas must be suitable for general audiences. This is clearly stated in COC.

And my quote wasn't even remotely NSFW, yet it was still taken down.
But I don't see FA being very strict on actual NSFW content (including fetish art that doesn't contain nudity) being marked as "general."

L

lupi900

And my quote wasn't even remotely NSFW, yet it was still taken down.
But I don't see FA being very strict on actual NSFW content (including fetish art that doesn't contain nudity) being marked as "general."

I have few artists i watch that tag female anthro's with very little to no clothing as general.

L

lupi900

the site is all broken in a nutshell

Yeah posting stories is still typing it in the description and music is caped at 10mb mp3's while sofurry allows 50mb MP3 an weasyl allows flac through bandcamp.

Boured

A Caring Dusk Lycanroc
This is kinda why I usually use the forum instead of the site. Though I don't search on FA so the problem doesn't really matter to me.