• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fast Wifi Networking Options

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
So in May I should be moving to Toronto, but the condo is less than suitable for using ethernet across the place and my roommate, who owns said two bed, two bath condo, would be less than keen on me drilling holes through the walls to run happy blue cables through the place just because I need the bandwidth. So WiFi for at least part of the solution will be necessary.

...I havn't much followed wifi technology since I got my Linksys WRT54GL in 2007, which is still ticking away in my living room right now. I do know I want a router capable of running DDWRT because I love the host of features it offers.

I'm a film maker and that means I have a lot of files that are very large. My DSLRs shoot video at 45mbps and that'll go up to about 72mbps with some firmware updates to the cameras. For example, the entire project folder for a 2min commercial about fire fighter training is 37GB. Right now my workstation is in my bedroom and so is my media PC/Storage Server where projects are kept and let's just say that I love the Gbit switch that is also in my room. When I move however, the Media PC/Storage Server will live in my bedroom, hooked up to a TV while also hoarding files and my workstation will be on the other end of the condo. There's also going to be another HTPC wirelessly in the living room, laptops, and eventually a little Renderfarm next to my workstation. (Renderfarm could be a ways off however)

So... What router would I want? Right now I'm leaning towards the Linksys E4200 v1, because it supports DDWRT, it's fast on paper, and I can get a factory refurb for 70bux. But since I dunno this stuff, I could just be getting BSed by the paper specs. So opinions?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I actually ended up buying http://amzn.com/B006QB1RPY Asus N66U (though there is a newer version).

It's nice and fast. The other thing I like about it is the 2 USB ports in the back for sharing external drives like a NAS and for Network printing.

I can also access the router from my cell phone.

It also offers the ability to create your own sets of Wifi spots - I created one for my DS since it's the only device that depends on WEP.

I have my laptop on the 5ghz channel (not broadcasting the signal) and other devices on the 2ghz channel.

I don't believe I've had a drop since I installed it. I only get drops when I reboot the router of course to change certain settings :p

Customer support is bleh, but the router is nice.

I just realized I had the router you mentioned. I gave it away to my friend. It was v. 2

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Although I generally don't bump posts due to spam and all. I should mentioned the reason I gave it away was at the time I had another router and during the time I had it, there were complaints about security issues with Linksys so I held off.

I eventually went with the Asus since it had more USB ports and was told it had better signal - just be aware of the firmware (since some had some real problems previously).

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
Although I generally don't bump posts due to spam and all. I should mentioned the reason I gave it away was at the time I had another router and during the time I had it, there were complaints about security issues with Linksys so I held off.

I eventually went with the Asus since it had more USB ports and was told it had better signal - just be aware of the firmware (since some had some real problems previously).

I almost pulled the trigger on an E4200 v1 today but apparently the company sometimes sends out v2's with it's refurb orders instead. I called and they were like 'Oh yeah, we can dig up a v1 specifically if a custmer requests it... But there's no way we're doing it on Boxing Week. Call back after new years and we'll sort it out for you.

Because apparently the E4200 V2 can't run DDWRT and likely never will. DDWRT support is important to me because, well, it's awesome.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Hold your horses - 802.11ac is here. Check out the Linksys EA6500 - n 450mbps, ac 1300mbps simultaneously. Yeah, gigabit WiFi.

As for DD-WRT, the 4200's DD-WRT build is still very unstable, especially in WiFi. Personally, I haven't had to do much with my router that requires DD-WRT's features that I haven't been able to handle with my WD Mybook Live (which is actually a low-cost PowerPC computer that runs a full Debian Squeeze distro out of the box).

That said, I'm running a 4200 v1, and it's solid, but I'm not doing crazy film editing stuff over WiFi. As far as the wired goes, gigabit is gigabit. The 4200 also boasts some extremely fast WAN to LAN packet switching, so it's basically pumping data in and out from the modem as fast as if the devices attached were connected direct to the modem (which doesn't account for much of a delay, mind you, but is still impressive).

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
Hold your horses - 802.11ac is here. Check out the Linksys EA6500 - n 450mbps, ac 1300mbps simultaneously. Yeah, gigabit WiFi.

As for DD-WRT, the 4200's DD-WRT build is still very unstable, especially in WiFi. Personally, I haven't had to do much with my router that requires DD-WRT's features that I haven't been able to handle with my WD Mybook Live (which is actually a low-cost PowerPC computer that runs a full Debian Squeeze distro out of the box).

That said, I'm running a 4200 v1, and it's solid, but I'm not doing crazy film editing stuff over WiFi. As far as the wired goes, gigabit is gigabit. The 4200 also boasts some extremely fast WAN to LAN packet switching, so it's basically pumping data in and out from the modem as fast as if the devices attached were connected direct to the modem (which doesn't account for much of a delay, mind you, but is still impressive).

I'm glad you posted this because I'd forgotten about 802.11ac. I'm looking around to find some models that support DD-WRT for now but looking at overall benchmarks of stock models this looks like it's what I want. I don't have any 11ac adaptors but some of the machines wouldn't even need it, mostly it'd just be the ones with the critical large file links. This would give me future proofing though, instead of going 'Welp, it's been a year, need a faster router now'. So spending more on a faster router now would save money in the long haul. Erg, $150-$200 range for a router though, wow.

And also, I don't do film editing OVER Wifi, or even ethernet (My media server is soooorta too sluggish to do that right). The server acts as 'Warm Storage' for projects once they've been completed. I move them over there to be redundantly stored in my DriveBender array and they then get pulled back to the workstation if they're to be worked on again. Suffice it to say, I'm glad the ethernet network here is 1gbit when I do that. :)

Last edited: