• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Faux Fur ~ Opinions? Advice?

Elani.Koala

Eucalyptus, please!
Hello, everyone! :3

Long story short, I'm in the process of gathering my materials to start working on a head & such (Koala partial). I know what I need, but I'm feeling a bit confused when it comes to the actual fur. :confused:

I ordered some swatches from Mendel's and received them yesterday (they're so fast!), and it turns out that the one I like the most (Seal in Slate Grey) is the shortest of the bunch. It's very soft, kind of springy, and the backing actually has a bit of stretch. The picture on the site is terrible, but in person it looks absolutely lovely. Now, here comes the (possibly bad?) part. I measured it at a half-inch. While that isn't super short, I've been reading that using the shorter pile fur is a big no-no. I do understand why, but part of me keeps thinking that I honestly could make it work. I'm not opposed to using longer fur and shaving it, but the Seal really did turn out to be what I was looking for, in terms of color & texture. Opinions? Advice?

Thanks so much for reading!
<3,
Elani

Teal

Squirrel
I don't see what would be wrong with short pile fur, some people even use fleece. I guess the seems would be really visible...

Dokid

I don't see what would be wrong with short pile fur, some people even use fleece. I guess the seems would be really visible...

But if the pattern is made right and seams look clean it doesn't really matter much. I say go for it!

Elani.Koala

Eucalyptus, please!

Yeah, the seam issue was what I was thinking of, too. I'm really tempted to just give it a shot anyway. If it doesn't work out, I do have other options. Of course, that is a rather costly experiment. >_> Thanks for the input!

But if the pattern is made right and seams look clean it doesn't really matter much. I say go for it!

Good point! As it stands, I'm probably going to end up ordering the shorter fur. I think it's long enough to hide seams (to an extent), but I suppose I'll have to work with it to really find out. Thanks for the comment!