• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Favorite Disney Villian and Hero?

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
Disney, for most people, is a part of our childhoods: that wonderful time of innocence and simple pleasures. But lord knows they had some fabulously wicked antagonists to rock our fragile minds!!! Murder, coup d'etat's, abuse of power who says great childhood films should be sunshine and rainbows? But for every force of evil, a hero must stand up and set things right.

So FAF, who are your personal all time favorite disney villian, the one that makes ya wanna join up with the dark side? And who's that brave indivudual that makes you return to the realm of light? Don't just assume animated films either, feel free to use any liveaction movies they've ever created as well. And since they now own Pixar, we'll allow them too ^^.

As OP, I'll get the ball rolling.

Villian: I must say Ursula has always been my favorite baddie of the Disney films. Her motivation isn't just revenge against a political figure who's wronged her, but to claim the entire ocean as her domain. With the deadly sin of wrath and her unquenchable thirst for power, she definetly aims big. She gets one of the most badass villian songs in the franchise, one that shows her dispicable nature despite her claims that she is simply performing acts of kindness. The deal she makes with Ariel isn't even based around a lie, she gives her full knowledge of the fact that after 3 days she's sunk. There's a bit of mystery about her as well, esp. that we as an audience never get to find out why exactly she was banished which only intrigues me more. Even though she's a witch, it isn't her magic that is the most threatening thing about her, but the drive to get what she wants at all costs unless it involves her "poopsies". Seriously, no other disney villian has as much love for their minions as Ursula.

Hero: On this one, I'll cheat a little. I've got 3, but atleast they all come from the same film. The 3 good fairies from Sleeping Beauty. They may be little dopey old ladies, but they will go to the ends of the earth to save the person that they love the most. Sure Merrywether and Flora argue amongst each other (and Fauna is a flake) but at the end of the day they stand together as one to kick ass and take names. Oh, and make sure that dumbass prince doesn't get himself killed as he's kinda a flop in the hero department. Not only that, but they fight by turning shit into flowers, bubbles and rainbows. John Carter eat your heart out. Take the fact that they are agruably the protagonists of that film (Yeah, I don't count the prince or princess) while being old and females is quite a changeup for a fairytale.

It's your turn FAF, lets hear your favs.

Spotted_Tiger

Nigel Tufnel
Villain:
Serious Answer: Hades. He was a legitimately terrifying villain, and he was an interesting character.
Non-serious answer: Gaston. He is a man for the ages

Hero:
Aladdin

Ariosto

Oh, Jolly, I thread where I actually want to post!

Vilain:
This is an easy choice: it's Lady Tremaine from Cinderella, for she has a very unabashed and subtle cruelty in everything she does and says.
Most Disney Villains have access to their personal armies, big musical numbers, science, political power, magic, or demonstrate their megalomany in exagerated, operatic ways. Quite on the contrary, Lady Tremaine has nothing of this: she only has two good-for-nothing nagging daughters, a cat, a decadent house and diminishing wealth, and the most she does is "just" raising her voice. And yet, she's the one imposing presence and does all she can to achieve power and money through utilitarian and selfish means. She manages this dignifiedly, quietly and with nothing short of a truly perverse attitude and an exquisite refinement. Be it ordering Cinderella while she has tea, preparing for an elegant ball, walking properly or teaching her daughters to play instruments, you can sense this woman comes from a rich aristocratic background with a lot of very well learnt manners, and that she uses them to transmit the superiority and status that is her goal.
Cinderella is her only obstacle in her search for power, and she's managed to reduce her to nothing but her own housemaid, all through psychological torture without ever resorting to physical means by herself. She just detests the girl that much, and has practically dedicated part of her life to make her profoundly unhappy and miserable. This also applies for her daughters; she only sees them as means for power through their marriage with the prince. Spoiled and unrefined as they are, they also participate in Cinderella's misery and she knows how to push their buttons in order to reach her own means. In fact, she's quite good at pretending and manipulating people in general, be it the Great Duque or anyone else, and her refinement plays an important in this.
The face she makes the moment Cinderella has reached happiness right under her nose is memorable for how deep a contempt it expresses; it's a glorious character moment and a glorious piece of animation in itself. She has this vampire-esque hair, and her tall, thin figure dressed in elegant gowns, with those almost perpetually languid eyes and expressive lips just transmits distrust and, above all, fear.
Subtle, snobist, refined, lying, selfish, ambitious, greedy, plain evil without being a caricature. For all these reasons I love her character. One can only wonder what this woman would do if she had access to the things other Disney villains have (a concept that Cinderella III underexplored greatly).

As for the heroes, I'll agree with you on your assesment about the fairies.

Last edited:

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
Oh, Jolly, I thread where I actually want to post!

Vilain:
Snip.Lady Tremaine

Very well put, Ariosto. I've seen many a top 10 list of disney villians, but you have given more detail than anyone I've seen on this lady. I find her expressions to be some of the best Disney has ever produced: Evil stare, smug victory when she trips up the Duke's servant, and her silent gasp when Cinderella provides the second slipper. Who doesn't go "Fuck yeah!" at that one?

Edit: Oh, and cheers for the jollies. I'm actually surprised a thread like this hasn't been made yet. We've had a lotta serious business threads of late, I thought this one could provide a little fun ^^

I'll make this post simple.
Scar/Simba

You getta gold star for the first furry related Disney villian/hero...lol

Last edited:

Earth Rio

It isn't butter?!
I'll make this post simple.
Scar/Simba

True here, except slightly different. I can't remember any movies aside from the Lion King and its sequel, so I'd say Scar as a favourite villain and Kovu as a favourite(ish) hero (if he's considered a true hero).

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Villain: Hades. Evil with a sense of humor!
Hero: Mulan. It takes balls to pretend to have them like she did.

Last edited:

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers

ElectricBlue1989

Living a Boy's Adventure Tale
I'll bend the rules a little. From the Aladdin TV series. Hey, you just mentioned Disney:

Mirage:
Mirage.jpg
Wicked_Mirage.jpg

No heroes yet. Maybe later... And no, I did not choose her because she's an anthro, but because she's awesome.

She always fascinated me when I was little and even today. Yes, her motives aren't really clear (is it the ruling of the world of just Agrabah? It could be just malice). Despite being called "evil incarnate" (she did use children to build an army of darkness, though there's more to it than that), -and being very, very powerful- yet for some reason, I always believed if push comes to shove, she could change. No other character has other characters outside the main cast try and show her the error of her ways (though I REFUSE to acknowledge any possible sentimental relationship she could've had with Phasir). There's definitely more to her than meets the eye, as she had to reluctantly save the day. In my eyes there's more to her than just another 2-dimensional villain. Add the fact that she's Egyptian and I'm sold!

I'd probably write more about her, but it's not coming to me. Maybe I'll edit this later...

How much I like this character? Well...

Last edited:

Furryjones

Favourite Villian and hero? I'll have to say Scar and Beast. Scar has one of my favourite disney songs ever! And Beast, when he gets pissed when Cogsworth tells him Belle isn't coming is the funniest moment of my childhood. WHAT! lol

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I'll bend the rules a little. From the Aladdin TV series. Hey, you just mentioned Disney:

Mirage.jpg
Wicked_Mirage.jpg

Damn, I knew I forgot something...shows are very much fair game as well (esp. Aladdin and Hercules-my god the variety!)

That show was like Batman TAS to me, it had some of the best villians for its time. Personally, I liked Mechanicilles and that witch girl who loved Aladdin. I must've missed the using children part...maybe I can dig up an episode somewhere. Phasir was kinda vague about the "love thing will bring her back to me" thing, but that show did quite a bit of character development for Disney so I guess we'll never know...

Favourite Villian and hero? I'll have to say Scar and Beast. Scar has one of my favourite disney songs ever! And Beast, when he gets pissed when Cogsworth tells him Belle isn't coming is the funniest moment of my childhood. WHAT! lol

I'm such a Disney dork I listen to Be Prepared when I wanna write for a certain antagonist, and Beast was a very close second for me. As a child I saw him more as a monster, but as an adult I totally see the immature brat behind that fur lol. One of my favorite scenes in the whole film is when he comes to rescue Belle from the wolves and later gets scolded while she tends his wounds. X3

Last edited:

Ariosto

@Furryjones and Butterflygoddess16:
My, how could I forget about the Beast?! He's probably Disney's best and deepest male character, and is undoubtedly the best of all the princes. You're spot on, Butterfly, he's essentially a spoiled person with a lot of anger and akwardness.
Personally, my favorite scene is when he's asking Belle to dine with him and has to rely on his servants to the point he's completely helpless in asking her and so, after getting rejected once more, he simply looks at them and points in the room door's direction with a grumpy face. It's a very subtle moment.
See, the Beast can only complain at Belle's behaviour and rant angrily, like the capricious man he is. At this point in the movie, he's imposed himself through his corpulence and monstruous appereance. The former is because his words pose no authority in comparison to his appereance and he can't modulate them well either, which is why he's entirely reliant on his servants to do any kind of meaningful communication. Also have in mind that his pretenses with Belle and the physical barrier between them (the door) negate his main way of communicating authority. Since he's realised this, he simply shuts up, surrends briefly and does a very child-like gesture (points his index in Belle's direction). With this, he copes out and puts the blame on Belle for his agressive behaviour and what it provokes, as in "See?! It's her fault for being so mean and reluctant!". The inmediately following scene adds a layer to this, though, in that the Beast acts like these because he's fully convinced he's just meant to (what might the causes be? How much did his transformation alter or magnify his personality?). There's a lot of genuine self-hatred and low self-esteem that manifests itself though violence, and it's Belle who changes that later on.

Last edited:

ElectricBlue1989

Living a Boy's Adventure Tale
More villains...

Bill Sykes:

Oliverandcompany_1036.jpg

First my childhood POV: At first I only saw a GREEDY old businessman that was borderline insane, risking life and limb (he drove his car into the NYC subway!!) in order to follow through on a profitable ransom scheme. The little English I knew at the time didn't help in understand just how notorious/sinister this character is. Disney really did a good job conveying that this guy was bad news.

This was the first time I was a animated Disney bad guy loading up a modern hand-gun (later research will back up that this was Disney's first of this nature). I was shocked then and I'm pretty sure I'd be shocked now if I'd see that scene for the first time today.

Fast-forward a couple of years. My English is better. The guy is not only a businessman, but also a dangerous loan shark (probably one of the most real-world villain jobs ever). His murderous intent is even more apparent, and his strength just as astonishing. I shudder to think how this guy was 20 years younger.

Oliver-and-company-sykes-car-1-.jpg

His car is basically an extension of his body, class with a touch of notoriety and strength on the outside, but a pure monster under the hood if provoked. License plate says DOBERMAN, I think.

And if you must know, the dogs' names are Roscoe and DeSoto.

I was definitely intimidated by him. Witches, anthro beings, computer programs, evil royalty, etc., are in their respective universes and/or timelines, but this is a representation of a real-world villain, the type your human self could find at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I found this little webpage while pichunting:

http://directorscutkavala.blogspot.com/2010_01_01_archive.html

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
His car is basically an extension of his body, class with a touch of notoriety and strength on the outside, but a pure monster under the hood if provoked. License plate says DOBERMAN, I think.

And if you must know, the dogs' names are Roscoe and DeSoto.

I was definitely intimidated by him. Witches, anthro beings, computer programs, evil royalty, etc., are in their respective universes and/or timelines, but this is a representation of a real-world villain, the type your human self could find at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yes. Oh god, yes. I *just* missed the release of this in theaters (I'm a 1988 kid) So when I watched this as an adult I found him so much more disturbing as a villian due to his general calm demeanor. He just chuckles as it's implied that the bulter has threatened to call the police when he calls to get Penny's parents to give in to his demands. Also, Robert Loggia adds that extra sinister touch needed for this guy. Though I've always wondered why a loan shark would do dealings with a hobo like Fagen?

I especially like your point about the car being an extension of his being. Disney was always so great at this; Cruella's stylish car becoming more and more gruesome as her character delves into insanity, Madam Medusa's driving hinting at her unstable mind (even the swamp mobile represents her in that it's unpredicable and prone to outbursts). I'd really love to see more villian vehicles.

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
hero: wal-e because omg its wal-e
villian: scar because he seems like he got shit his whole life and I pity him also find him witty and smart

Ariosto

@Kihja:
Yay, another person who's watched Fantasia! I'll agree, Chernabog is... his presence leaves me speechless. There's so much story and lectures on the triumph of a villain he is and how he was created! He's right there along the great, memorable ones, yes.

Kahoku

Forgive Yourself
@Kihja:
Yay, another person who's watched Fantasia! I'll agree, Chernabog is... his presence leaves me speechless. There's so much story and lectures on the triumph of a villain he is and how he was created! He's right there along the great, memorable ones, yes.

It was one of the first Disney movies I saw, and I love dark things so yeah this one really is awesome. :)

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I was how long it would take for Mr. Chernabog to show up, Ariosto's right several people consider him the best Disney villian of all time. (An honor I actually think goes to Judge Caulde Frollo but the best spot is always up for debate among us Disney nerds ^^) Check this top 10 list if you're interested: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi.../nostalgia-critic/2786-top-11-disney-villains

Your fav hero is Milo, huh? I love a good obscure fav!! Also, whoever drew that pic gave him a lot of rope. That's the hunkiest he'll ever get I do believe XD

Ariosto

I was how long it would take for Mr. Chernabog to show up, Ariosto's right several people consider him the best Disney villian of all time. (An honor I actually think goes to Judge Caulde Frollo but the best spot is always up for debate among us Disney nerds ^^) Check this top 10 list if you're interested: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi.../nostalgia-critic/2786-top-11-disney-villains

Your fav hero is Milo, huh? I love a good obscure fav!! Also, whoever drew that pic gave him a lot of rope. That's the hunkiest he'll ever get I do believe XD
Hoho, another Jean Claude Frollo fan, yes! Hellfire is my favorite of all the canon's musical numbers, all of them: Latin chanting, fire, conflicted feelings, bold mentions of lust and sin (for a Disney movie), and, awesome singing, how could someone not love it?
What are we even saying? Most of their villains have their more than fair share of awesomeness! It's too bad their heroes rarely fare as well (at least for me), though the secondary characters more than often make up for them.

In retrospect, Milo's a pretty good hero, too bad he's stuck in an overall underwhelming film.