• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Favorite exotic animal as a pet.

Volkodav

Dad****er
.......playing with her
cheetahs only kill by strangling their prey with their jaws, and those cheetahs were just playing around with her
With their meat-hook claws and two inch long fangs

On the topic of dog breed banning:
They ban "pit bulls" (which isn't even a goddamn breed to begin with, but a blanket term for many breeds that look similar) by saying "you can't own this breed anymore". In some cases, dogs that were born before the ban can be grandfathered by the law and you can keep them.. provided you follow the rest of their laws:
- Get it registered as a dangerous dog with the city
- Muzzle it at all times when outside
- Must be on a leash of no more than 6 feet long
- Must get $1,000,000 public liability insurance
- Must be under the control of someone 16 years or older at all times
- Some dog parks ban the breed, so you can't bring them there
- Put a dangerous dog sign up on your yard/house (great way to ward off intruders! lol)
- Have a veterinarian insert a microchip in the dog that registers it as a dangerous dog
- Get it spayed/neutered
- If your grandfathered dangerous dog was pregnant before/during it was banned and it gives birth, you have to give the puppies to the animal shelter for them to put to sleep.

What determines whether or not your dog is a "dangerous dog"/banned breed?
If it is a:
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- "Any dog that has the appearance and physical characteristics predominantly conforming to the standards for any of the above breeds, as established by the Canadian Kennel Club or the American Kennel Club or the United Kennel Club or as determined by a veterinarian licensed to practice in Ontario"
(Basically, if a vet says "this looks vaguely like an American Staffordshire Terrier", you've got a dangerous dog breed.)
This law may vary based on where you live, this was just a by-law that I grabbed from Ontario.

sniperfreak223

More Metal Than You !!!
i always wanted a pet turtle :3

but they are illigal to own here because kids cant fucking wash their damn hands

but wouldn't that in turn apply to all reptiles as well? Or is it just because kids find them cute and NEED to pick them up, unlike say a snake or a lizard? baby turtles are still illegal here, but not adults for some reason.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
Another lame thing about BSL is that the "looks like a pit" has hurt owners of PEDIGREED labs and boxers. It even affects guide and therapy dogs. One of the most bogus laws.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Another lame thing about BSL is that the "looks like a pit" has hurt owners of PEDIGREED labs and boxers. It even affects guide and therapy dogs. One of the most bogus laws.
Funniest part is that it doesn't even stop people from owning those dogs, they'll own them anyways, call them a Lab x Boxer mix (which is an actual technique dogfighters use to disguise their dogs during transport) and only take them out at night.

Phyllostachys

Feigning intelligence
I would like to try raising dart frogs one day.... Though I don't think they would be easy to keep.

They weren't Russian scientists, they were Russian fur farmers, breeding foxes to be tamer for when they are removed from the cage.

They were scientists. They wanted to confirm their hypothesis that it was selection based on tameness that induced various morphological and behavioral traits shown in domesticated animals.
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/feature/early-canid-domestication-the-farm-fox-experiment

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
I would like to try raising dart frogs one day.... Though I don't think they would be easy to keep.

They are a little bit easier to keep that most tropical fish tanks, i have bumble bee dart frogs myself. The most difficult thing about them is actually breeding all the livefood they need, they are voracious little feeders. Although i still highly recommend them.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
My interest in exotic animals for a long time happened to be in owning unusual fish. Of course the problem with many of these is they need large enclosures, and specialized care. I'm happy to say out of the most unusual ones, I've managed to have 3 our of the 5-6 exotic fish that I would love to have. Of course any time with exotics I look into if they even make sense to keep as exotic pets, their space requirements...and can I afford their care, and the space? If I can't, it's a no-go. Sometime I wish more keepers of the more unusual exotics would take into consideration.

I have my Rope Fish Colony that I've wanted for a while now, I have my Elephant Nose that I never dreamed I would find (really rare and hard to find in good health), and I've got my Ornate Bichir. I would love to get either Delhezi, or an Endlicheri. I reallly really want an Endlicheri but I'm still undecided if I really have the space and if my Ornate will put up with it long term. It doesn't get as big as the ornates.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
They are both stunning birchirs, if i ever get my own place i hope i can at least have one monster sized tank for bichirs at least. I have to rehome my one now which is gutting :(
My tanks filter has broken down again, i've gone through 4 filters, 4 heaters, and 2 lights on that one tank, every time i've gone for brand new and high end equipment to be on the safe side and its all knackered up. My parents wont let me put him in the down stairs tank and due to a tank emergency with my dart frogs replacing the fish tank with them and rehoming my senegal is the only option. Still pretty gutted, loved that fish :(

Volkodav

Dad****er

They were scientists. They wanted to confirm their hypothesis that it was selection based on tameness that induced various morphological and behavioral traits shown in domesticated animals.
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/feature/early-canid-domestication-the-farm-fox-experiment

yes....
"At an experimental farm in Novosibirsk, Siberia, geneticists have been working for four decades to turn foxes into dogs. "

It was a fur farm, that's where the foxes were bred. That's how it was kept operating.
http://scienceblogs.com/thoughtfulanimal/2010/06/14/monday-pets-the-russian-fox-st/

Untame foxes are absolutely vicious when you remove them from their cages (understandably, they arent tame), often time fur farm owners will remove them and transport them with catchpoles.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I don't think I want to keep a tame fox, just to cuddle with one that somebody else keeps.
Course, that'd probably make me want one of the fluffy terrors for myself.

I wonder what Raccoon Dogs (Tanuki) are like? They seem pretty mellow compared to their cousins.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
Oh man! You guys just reminded me of three monster tanks I want~

One will have hundreds of small scooling fish that include various cories, tetras, danios, guppies, ottos, shrimp, ect.

Another will feature a Black Ghost Knifefish with a school of Balas and Tinfoil Barbs.

The third will be a massive reef tank with lionfish and other saltwater beauties.

I want these SO FREAKING BAD! Maybe even a Koi pond outside!

The tanks will go in the living room and dining room (one on each long wall with one running down the middle to divide the rooms) and each one will be 10 ft+ long and at least 5 ft high and maybe 3-4ft wide (I dunno, haven't looked at the measurements). I'll have the floor ripped up to be reinforced (which will most likely be needed) with steel and concrete and the tanks custom built.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
I only want 2, one for bichirs, another for an alligator snapper :D

sniperfreak223

More Metal Than You !!!
My dream aquarium is kinda the opposite: I want a local biotope...but state laws say I can't have one...maybe I'll just say those bluegills are for the dinner table.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
They are both stunning birchirs, if i ever get my own place i hope i can at least have one monster sized tank for bichirs at least. I have to rehome my one now which is gutting :(
My tanks filter has broken down again, i've gone through 4 filters, 4 heaters, and 2 lights on that one tank, every time i've gone for brand new and high end equipment to be on the safe side and its all knackered up. My parents wont let me put him in the down stairs tank and due to a tank emergency with my dart frogs replacing the fish tank with them and rehoming my senegal is the only option. Still pretty gutted, loved that fish :(

They are, but I'm getting so much conflicting information about both species. It puts me off not having a reasonable idea of what they will get to as adults. It's okay though, I have 7 Ropes now (A proper colony now :3), and they are living in my 125 gallon community ( http://youtu.be/k4ajg49BGa0 ). The Ornate is now living in her own 125 gallon where she has palled up with an Elephant Nose. I still don't get how these two fish get along, but they manage wonderfully.

I am so sorry to hear that you have to get rid of yours. If you were in the US I'd almost considering taking it in so it's going to someone you know will take super care of it. Though I'd love to chat privately to see what filters/heaters are failing you.

Oh man! You guys just reminded me of three monster tanks I want~

Another will feature a Black Ghost Knifefish with a school of Balas and Tinfoil Barbs.

The Black Ghost Knife is one I kind of reallly really want. They require such wide tanks though to be content (inflexible back bone and all). The Peters Elephant Nose is a good substitute though, and can be taught to feed from the hand just like you can with the Knifes.

Last edited:

Phyllostachys

Feigning intelligence
yes....
"At an experimental farm in Novosibirsk, Siberia, geneticists have been working for four decades to turn foxes into dogs. "

It was a fur farm, that's where the foxes were bred. That's how it was kept operating.
http://scienceblogs.com/thoughtfulanimal/2010/06/14/monday-pets-the-russian-fox-st/

Well, yes, the experiments were conducted in a farm, but that doesn't mean they were farmers, just as scientists working in an agricultural experiment station aren't farmers just because they work in fields and plots.

Though perhaps I am being too pedantic here.

By the way, on your earlier post, you mentioned that there is no way to make foxes lose their smell, yet the link you provided states otherwise. I am curious, which claim is true?

Misomie

Lazy Artist
The Black Ghost Knife is one I kind of reallly really want. They require such wide tanks though to be content (inflexible back bone and all). The Peters Elephant Nose is a good substitute though, and can be taught to feed from the hand just like you can with the Knifes.
Another good substitute is the Brown Knifefish. I think you can have them in a 75 gallon (minimum) because they only reach a foot, so a bigger tank would be better.

Last edited:

malk

ravioli?
I want a manatee. I really want a manatee. And I wouldn't just have it a tank like some lazy fish. I would have a special suit built for it so that it could flop around on land while keeping it's body properly hydrated. I know that you're probably like, "well it can't swim on land." I've already thought about that. I would give the suit sick monster truck wheels. This is my ideal exotic pet.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Well, yes, the experiments were conducted in a farm, but that doesn't mean they were farmers, just as scientists working in an agricultural experiment station aren't farmers just because they work in fields and plots.

Though perhaps I am being too pedantic here.

By the way, on your earlier post, you mentioned that there is no way to make foxes lose their smell, yet the link you provided states otherwise. I am curious, which claim is true?
Clayton doesn't like foxes ;)

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
On the topic of knife fishes, how easy/difficult are they to maintain? I worked with them at uni and fell in love. I didn't know it was possible to have them as pets though.

mcjoel

Pepmurrmint Fox

mcjoel

Pepmurrmint Fox
There was a aquatic pet store back in cali which was basically like going to an aquarium they had all kinds of fish from gold fish to giant lion fish they even had sting rays. And huge Oscars that were probably a foot or more.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Clayton doesn't like foxes ;)
Foxes have a musky smell to them, you can't descent a fox, it comes from the oil in their skin. Washing it will do nothing, either.. it's quite similar to a ferret.

I don't believe for a second that these foxes lost their smell, considering every domestic fox owner I've ever seen or talked to has warned people about their smell. Some say that it actually varies from fox to fox, with ranch fox (fur farm) having a different musky smell than their wild, red fox relatives.

In fact, the person who told me the latter bit of information is actually a taxidermist who works with ranch fox skins.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
Up to a foot, bloody hell! And I thought the Brachys were big, they got to about 7 inches max IIRC.
A foot is small for a knifefish. The smallest is the brown knifefish. For keeping them they can be hand fed and will eat any fish that fits in their mouth. They also navigate by using electric impulses so you don't want any other kind of electric fish to live in the aquarium with them because the close proximity can screw with their navigation.