• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Favorite heavy metal style (if any)?

• Thread starter WolfyAmbassador
  • Start date

Favorite style of metal?

• Traditional heavy

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Doom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Speed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thrash

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Death

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Black

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Power

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Other/fusions

Votes: 21 38.9%

• Total voters
W

WolfyAmbassador

Big fan of heavy metal music, it's been my daily driver for quite some time. I was introduced to heavy rock music since I was little when the whole nu metal scene was a thing, which was sort of my gateway to other styles of metal but my tastes have changed over the years, especially with other types of music, and I've switched back and forth between different musical genres to listen to on the daily for the past few decades when I went through stages. I do listen to other styles of music but I've been recently further exploring my ongoing interest in metal that has stuck with me since I was a fetus. Over the past couple of months, I've been learning more about different styles and the history of heavy metal music, and discovered a heightened interest for older bands, particularly the ones who created heavy metal and played the original style. I went through all kinds of styles over the years, from nu metal, metalcore/deathcore, death metal, power, black, thrash, etc, before I came to the conclusion that traditional heavy metal was my daily driver since late last year but the overall style matters more than just the genre certain bands fit into imo. I stopped listening to mainly nu metal, metalcore, death, as well as bands categorized in others because my tastes and criteria for heavy metal have changed greatly. I find myself more interested in melodic/layered vocals and just having awesome heavy guitar riffs and solos than a lot of the heavily down-tuned stuff these days. I find myself more in the trad/epic heavy/power with influences from other styles camp than an extreme metal fan, but, I do appreciate some of it here and there.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Much more of a punk/hc fan when it comes to the two genres but I like to look at the precursors to the genre: Led Zepplin, early Deep Purple &c....and wonder what other early influences are.

D

Deleted member 111470

I like some Swedish bands, and by bands I mean Dan Swano.

Dan Swano - Sun of the Night < progressive melodic death metal, the entire album is created by him alone.
Nightingale - On Stolen Wings < progressive rock with Dan Swano again
Edge of Sanity - Twilight < progressive death metal with the above mentioned musician.
Opeth - Master's apprentices < At this point I think Opeth are in a genre of their own. This particular piece is rather progressive death metal.
Opeth - Sorceress < in contrast to Master's Apprentices this is... I have no idea. Just give it a try.

Let's step away from the Swedish scene for now.

Fear Factory - Fear Campaign < If you enjoy nu metal, then chances are you might also dig industrial metal like this.
Fear Factory - Invisible Wounds < another piece by them, this one more melodic and clean. Goes to show Burton's vocal range.

Here's something different:
Wuthering Heights - Lost Realms < Supposedly folk & power metal, Wuthering Heights is a band from Denmark and their lyrics are often philosophical or even abstract. They are poetry. I love them. A few more of my favorite songs by them:
Seize the Night(Carpe Noctem);
Faith, Apathy Divine pt 1;
The Bollard;
The Mad Sailor < this one is from their latest album. The band has been on hiatus since 2011.

You mentioned power metal. Here are a few of my favorites from the genre:
Dark Moor - Bells of Notre Dame
Hammerfall - Last Man Standing
Firewind - Dreamchaser
Majesty - Dance with the Demon

I'm gonna finish this off with more random stuff:

Dimmu Borgir - Interdimensional Summit < people have mixed feelings for this one, because Dimmu have stepped away from their "trve kvlt black metal" from the 90s or whatever. They are saying it's the edgier Nightwish now.
Fireball Ministry - Daughter of the Damned < I have no idea what this is. I know I searched for this song for years and years because I once heard it randomly and it's been stuck with me since then.
Luca Turilli's Dreamquest - Virus < This one is interesting. If you're familiar with Rhapsody then you have heard about Luca Turilli. This is one of his projects - gothic/power/operatic metal. The identity of the vocalist, credited only as "Mystique", is still in question.
Arcturus - The Chaos Path < Avant-garde metal. You'll either love or you'll hate it. It's very weird.
Pain - Have a Drink On Me < sounds kinda like a mix between heavy metal, blues, electronic music and whatever the fuck Peter Tagtgren felt like at the time. He's kinda like Dan Swano.
Here's another song by them which sounds nothing like Have a Drink on Me - Pain - Supersonic Bitch.
Blue Stahli - ULTRAnumb < chances are you're already familiar with this one.

Well that's it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like original heavy metal more than the other types, BUT (<---- that's a big "but") i feel like i'd be doing good music a disservice if i didn't share something i love dearly and enjoy listening to. i hope the rest of you metal heads like this shit too

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
Maaan, there's so much inside the metal genre I like.

But something I came across like 2 months ago on a random Spotify playlist:

Devin Townsend Project with Fallout! ENJOY! <3

W

WolfyAmbassador

I remember I had a DVD which was included in a guitar bundle back in 08 that had this show on it:

MadKiyo

Furry from the discount section
Oh man, didn't even see this thread.

Thrash is by far my favorite of the genres, especially the east coast scene. They have that punk, street attitude with the backbone of speed metal, and the songs are not always as dark, serious, and political as the west coast and bay area thrash. This is why Overkill swiftly became my favorite band. Good example:

A second favorite genre is kind of hard, euhh... I want to say NWOBHM, but song quality often turns me away from liking a lot of the bands. Lots of underground stuff that never saw sunlight for reason, and only a handful of survivors (Iron Maiden, Grim Reaper, Satan, etc). I'd have to settle with traditional metal then.

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
I like black and doom.
And I'm a really big fan of Ghost :)

Huge fan of power metal here. It's the genre that got me into music at all. Since then my tastes of broadened and I have discovered other genres and artists that I enjoy, but power metal will always be my first musical love.

MadKiyo

Furry from the discount section
Huge fan of power metal here. It's the genre that got me into music at all. Since then my tastes of broadened and I have discovered other genres and artists that I enjoy, but power metal will always be my first musical love.

After getting into the heavier genres, it's hard to get into power metal, though early power metal I like (Liege Lord, late 80's Savatage, Sanctuary). Still very different than the modern styles, but power metal is power metal.

W

WolfyAmbassador

After getting into the heavier genres, it's hard to get into power metal, though early power metal I like (Liege Lord, late 80's Savatage, Sanctuary). Still very different than the modern styles, but power metal is power metal.
I agree, modern power metal is very different from the older kind, which was a lot more like traditional heavy/speed metal with the exception of the lyrical themes. I don't have an issue with power metal, I just don't like the overly polished flower metal.

Vic_the_Hard_Rock_Wolf

Became a headbanger in the first place because of Sabaton (very much a modern type power band), but ever since finding out about Motörhead, early Metallica, Slayer, Deep Purple etc. I've been more into the rougher, aggressive and rock'n rollish stuff. So if I should pick specific genres then speed and thrash would fare fairly high, as would AC/DC and Led Zeppelin type hard rock if it counts.