• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

favorite mmorpg/rpg

Kinare

RAWR
MMOs? New World.

Take my opinion on MMOs as more of an outsider's view - I just wanna play a fun game, and typically that means I'm not an MMO kinda gal. I played Rift as my first MMO, then ESO because Elder Scrolls, arguably Warframe counts depending on who you ask... I get bored of the grind cycle way too fast and, well, Rift and ESO both had some drama with other people that kinda soured me to MMO communities.

New World, as much as we've previewed so far, fixes some of the issues I have with MMOs.
1. Classes annoy me. ESO wasn't supposed to have classes, but they ended up bending to the typical MMO style. New World does the no class thing, you switch between weapons and can master all of them if you want (but it's kinda slow going, so not a great idea to level everything evenly).
2. PVP tends to be a pointless gankfest only assholes enjoy, or boring with no point to it except glory and maybe a small reward. I actually really love ESO's PVP, but sadly the faction I'm in is just a mess of idiots no matter what campaign I join. There is but one group who tryhards, but they do so much that it gives me panic attacks. Such good closed beta memories... New World doesn't quite capture the magic that ESO CB had, but it has potential and was fun, and thanks to it having a huge purpose I could see myself doing it again instead of avoiding it like I do in any other game.
3. Combat... Ok, so NW isn't perfect there because I do hate being locked to animations, but it's a big step in the right direction. It's not all about perfect rotations of skills and letting muscle memory or a macro play the game for you. You gotta be awake and actually use your mind powers to press the buttons - dodge, block, manage cooldowns. It gets compared to Dark Souls a lot, so I guess it's that.
4. You could almost entirely solo your way through New World if you wanted (or at least what we were shown). By that I mean you don't have to join a guild, and even if you do, you don't have to play with them extremely regularly. There are enough randoms out in the world to get things done that getting involved with other people is not really needed.
5. Professions are actually gonna be hard af to level. Time consuming, expensive, and difficult. Not everyone and their momma is gonna be able to poop out amazing gear in just a couple weeks. I'm not a big fan of the randomness that there is to it, especially considering the difficulty, because I am not a lucky person. There are some things you can do to reduce luck issues, but afaik not entirely. It still manages to please the crafter in me and I plan to level quick and just focus crafting for an extended period.

---

RPGs? Final Fantasy 6. /end

100% Phantasy Star Online 2 for me when it comes to MMO's.
I can't quite say anything else I've played has given me the customization freedom of PSO2. Even games with an abundance of sliders that hardly change shit like Elder Scrolls and Black Desert.

The fact that I can freely swap from birb to baddie to bot with the same chick is a *massive* draw for me.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Screenshot 2020.11.30 - 12.03.42.11.png

That doesn't even get into the absurdly wild gameplay and larger than life bossing. That's a thread in itself.

As for standard RPG's, I might have to second Borderlands with Nexus. BL2, PreSequel, and 3 were some godlike times. There was something so satisfying about solo raiding because of how fucking broken you can make your characters.

Aside from that, I would definitely put Mega Man Battle Network up there. Terrible stories and can be padded, but the combat is so uniquely brilliant and was one of a kind until One Step from Eden came out like last year. 3 and 6 were highlights for me.

ASTA

Unban ODD or Riot
Favorite RPG would probably have to be TES III: Morrowind. Runner-up would be Divinity: Original Sin II. Honorable mentions would be Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, TES IV: Oblivion, TES V: Skyrim, Black and White 1 and 2, and the entire Fable series (particularly Fable 1).

Favorite MMO to date would be ESO but I haven't played it in months due to real-life time constraints. I thoroughly enjoyed Sun-in-Shadow's entire questline.

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
Yay! I am so mainstream! WoW. No matter how much I like to hate it. It keeps sucking me back! Goddamn you.. But yeah. I miss Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. A buggy mess at first but had alot of charm.

As to favourite RPG. Oh that's a toughie.. Neverwinter Nights or Morrowind probably.

oappo

Star Wars Galaxies.

After looking back on everything I've played, that game was both the most enjoyable and unique, despite it's sometimes enormous flaws. It was a very special game. It's a huge shame we had to trade that in for SWTOR. I wouldn't say it was worth it.

I haven't really found a good MMO since. I enjoyed playing WoW up until WoD. But after that, it's been difficult to find something that I was both interested in and had a decent playerbase. The most recent I've tried was Guild Wars 2, but ultimately that game just doesn't click with me. The most promising prospect I've seen so far is TBC classic. Though one day I hope the MMO genre sees a resurgence without the WoW influence.

As far as regular RPGs go, I guess I'll mention Mass Effect and KOTOR. Maybe OneShot as well. It makes me sad to say that I haven't played a huge amount of RPGs, or at least as many as I'd like. Mainly due to money and a bad computer. I still haven't played neither Nier: Automata nor Witcher 3 to this day.

Last edited:

Rayd

philosophy & psychology nerd
MMOs "for children" will forever hold a very fond place in my heart simply because they were always so different and unique. it's always felt to me that more "mature" MMOs have all felt the same, from aesthetics, to gameplay, to features, etc. - whereas PG MMOs have these charms and nuances that keep you coming back, that in my opinion are missing in the former.

having grown up in the age where PG MMOs reigned supreme (wizards101, toontown, roblox, adventure quest, etc.), i was able to experience what was potentially a part of the golden age of my childhood through these games, and they will always be some of my favorites. i still have these phases where i come back to them from time to time, and used to have this shame in the back of my mind for it, knowing some people would make fun of me for playing games marketed towards children as a 20 year old if they knew about it, but as i really thought about it, a game's main demographic is not at all indicative of it's enjoyability or credibility as a game. besides, to some people who don't play games, all games are for children anyways, so who cares?

the day that a game such as wizards101 releases, with a turn based card game system, but with a far deeper pool of cards, and more character customization and potentially even stat distribution, i'm all in. either that or a game with a trading economy as addictive as roblox's, oooo boy.

MMOs "for children" will forever hold a very fond place in my heart simply because they were always so different and unique. it's always felt to me that more "mature" MMOs have all felt the same, from aesthetics, to gameplay, to features, etc. - whereas PG MMOs have these charms and nuances that keep you coming back, that in my opinion are missing in the former.

having grown up in the age where PG MMOs reigned supreme (wizards101, toontown, roblox, adventure quest, etc.), i was able to experience what was potentially a part of the golden age of my childhood through these games, and they will always be some of my favorites. i still have these phases where i come back to them from time to time, and used to have this shame in the back of my mind for it, knowing some people would make fun of me for playing games marketed towards children as a 20 year old if they knew about it, but as i really thought about it, a game's main demographic is not at all indicative of it's enjoyability or credibility as a game. besides, to some people who don't play games, all games are for children anyways, so who cares?

the day that a game such as wizards101 releases, with a turn based card game system, but with a far deeper pool of cards, and more character customization and potentially even stat distribution, i'm all in. either that or a game with a trading economy as addictive as roblox's, oooo boy.
i concord with ye mature mmos are bad i miss the old times

Lexiand

Werewolf a Tophat

Have you heard of Fusion Fall?

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Anarchy Online was my first MMORPG; I bought all the expansion packs for it. I don't know if Destiny counts as an MMORPG.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Phantasy Star Online 2

these games make the foundation of my very limited MMO experience. (those PSO2 is not *really* an MMO, but whatevs)
I do wish PSO2 wasn't so messily complicated though; there's SO MUCH in the game to keep up with and learn and my dumb brain has trouble knowing how to best play the game.
And FFXIV? Its pretty, has some interesting characters/story stuff, and I get to be a lalafell mage. What more could I ask for?

Traditionally growing up though I don't play MMOs. For most of my life I lived without internet access, so MMOs are a weird and new genre for me to explore.

Ziv

PokéManiac
My favorite MMORPG of all time is MapleStory. I also loved MapleStory 2 and I was incredibly bummed to hear it was discontinued outside Korea. Since then, I've recently taken up FFXIV and I like it so far.

MagnusLucra

Old School Runescape....
Help...
I can't stop...

(Don't tell Jagax, but I really hope Ashes of Creation turns out good)