• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Favorite Queer Novel Recommendations

lovealittleless

* queer confusion *
Heyhey!! I'm both queer and love books, so figured I'd make this thread to recommend some of my favorite queer books and hopefully get some new ones that I can read myself!! I mostly read fantasy, so majority of my recs will be fantasy.

Crier's War by Nina Varela

This is my all time favorite book. It's a girl x girl novel featuring enemies to lovers and the dumbest lesbians you'll ever meet. totally centered around their relationship. It's also very much a forbidden relationship. What more could you want from a book.

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon

This book has the more you could possibly want, and it has dragons. Yet another girl x girl novel with enemies to lovers and forbidden romance, but this one has dragons and magic and a grumpy old gay man. they gotta fight the big evil dragon with their magic and good dragons meanwhile fighting their own political wars.

Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin

This one isn't as much of a favorite from me, but it is pretty good. It's about this genderfluid kid named Riley who moves to a new school and has to navigate being queer in a new, possibly unwelcome environment. Very relatable if you're trans.

Magnus Chase & the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan

This one isn't centered around queer stuff like the others i've mentioned, but it has one of my favorite queer relationships i've ever read about. magnus, the main character, is a cis dude with an undefined sexuality, but his partner is genderfluid and they are amazing. other than them though, its about these kids who are the children of norse gods and they die and end up in asgard and have tons of adventures. really fun.

that's basically all my recommendations. please add onto this thread with any more that you have!!

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
The Man Who Fell In Love With The (Moon) by Tom Spanbauer (edit)
Description provided through Amazon:
The narrator is Shed, or Duivichi-un-Dua, a half-breed bisexual boy who makes his living at the Indian Head Hotel in the little turn-of-the-century town of Excellent, Idaho. . .

I read it over twenty years ago; found it to be harsh and ugly at times, but overall a good read.

(I may update this as I remember other, queer subject matter books.)

Last edited:

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
There are a few queer novels that would be in this category for me, especially recently, but the first one I'd recommend to anyone is The Laramie Project by Moises Kaufman and Tectonic Theater Project. The play, and the book of it, tells the story of Matthew Shepard and impact he had on his community and the country through interviews of the people in the Laramie community, creating an entire mosaic of his life and death. This book changed my views on a lot of things and I'm grateful my high school English teacher assigned it to the class.

Last edited:

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!
Im straight but the Wings of Fire series introduces several LGBTQ characters. Book 13 is from the POV of a Lesbian I think.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Im straight but the Wings of Fire series introduces several LGBTQ characters. Book 13 is from the POV of a Lesbian I think.
You can be straight and still enjoy a good book. ;)

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I'm here to read all the books you guys recommend and beg for more after.
This thread is my favorite now, and if I can think of any, I'll toss em' in here too.

The_Happiest_Husky

Actually a dog
Magnus Chase & the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan

This one isn't centered around queer stuff like the others i've mentioned, but it has one of my favorite queer relationships i've ever read about. magnus, the main character, is a cis dude with an undefined sexuality, but his partner is genderfluid and they are amazing. other than them though, its about these kids who are the children of norse gods and they die and end up in asgard and have tons of adventures. really fun.
Yo, did not know that. I remember reading the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus serieses a long time ago, didn;t even realize Riordan was still goin

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I'm here to read all the books you guys recommend and beg for more after.
This thread is my favorite now, and if I can think of any, I'll toss em' in here too.
There are actually two other plays, of course available as books, that I'd urge everyone to read, particularly now.

The Normal Heart is a play by Larry Kramer that talks about his experiences during the onset of HIV/AIDS epidemic and early advocacy efforts to combat the spread the virus along with getting the government to take it seriously. I read this in university and it was heart-rending.

Angels in America is another play written by Tony Kushner which also talks about HIV/AIDS epidemic and its impact on the gay community, but also a wider range of issues in 1980s, with more fantastical elements. It mainly follows Prior Walter, a young gay man who just found out he is HIV-positive and has been left by his lover as a result. In the midst of this, an angel appears before him and tells him that God left heaven due to humanity's progress. The angel wants Prior to serve a prophet to humanity and tell the world to cease human progress so that God may return to the angels in heaven.

One aspect I liked about the play is that it drives home the moral that people need to be more open-minded and less quick to judge.

HBO has made film adaptations of both, by the way.

I've also been reading more QUILTBAG sci-fi since the pandemic began, so I could put that up here if anyone's interested.