• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Favorite setting in fiction

What's your favorite kind of setting?

• Modern

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Western

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Steampunk/Victorian

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Fantasy/Medieval

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Sci-fi

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Feudal Japan

• Cyberpunk/Near future

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Ancient/Greek/Roman/Egyptian

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 17th centure/Swashbuckling/Pirates

• Other

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters

nerdbat

Green butt of reason
Welp, that's a hard one. Probably some cross between spaghetti western and modern fantasy with elements of postmodernism and metafiction dropped in. Think of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower", that's probably the best example, since it more or less fits all criterias.

Papa Dragon

Existential Nightmare
Science fiction and fantasy are my two favorite genres. Followed by horror. Combine all three and im all over it.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
When it comes to writing, I'm primarily interested in near-future settings, whether or not there are elements of cyberpunk involved. With that said, I'm happy reading stories set in any setting, so long as the writer is able to make the setting convincingly believable.

Case in point, I would highly recommend Marie Brennan's Lady Trent series - it can be likened it to Charles Darwin's On The Origin of Species if Darwin studied dragons (the only fantastic part of this historical fantasy), written from the perspective of a female expeditionary naturalist struggling against the mores of a Victorian-like society.

zorua

diet soda
I said other because mine is "near-past" I guess? Is that a thing? I love media set just a couple decades before production date - so for now that would mean the setting is the 80s or 90s.