• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Favorite SFW thing you like/liked about college?

Nexus Cabler

Strong independent black dragon
Picking your classes and times, many of the professors were nicer and genuinely interested in being your friend, more helpful programs for people like me who have learning disabilities, and hardly any dress codes.

Last edited:

Punji

Vaskebjørn
The classes I enjoyed and wanted to take were fun. Travel studies were mostly positive as well.

Dissections were cool too, one of the only types of lab I didn't dread the entire time.

Izzy4895

Bad Fox
I enjoyed learning new things in spite of a busy schedule (I even managed to test out of a few courses in spite of the sleep deprivation).

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I loved the social aspects, as well as the diversity of people and cultures. It was very easy to meet friends, and strike up conversations.

I also miss the library, as well as the botanical and specimen gardens. (MSU had really amazing gardens, being an agricultural school)

zandelux

I liked living in a dorm. It helps if you have a good RA who organizes things like movie or board game nights. You can do these things outside of college, but it's so much nicer when they're right outside your door.

Ziv

PokéManiac
Living in transgender student housing. I was with friends and people who understood me pretty much for the first time in my life, and the people I met that day are still my best friends today.

Also, working as a research assistant and learning under my mentor. He basically tutored me in research. I did my own study, start to finish. Got me into a PhD program straight out of undergrad, and is also one of my best friends today (as well as a colleague). I loved doing research right away.

MissNook

In my first year, my favorite thing was having classes that bring interesting thinking about what we had learned so far and how we could bring everything a level up even by ourselves. It gave me a lot of autonomy in how I would learn for the future.

In second year, I changed college and went to a new town, away from my family and then it was more the people I met and a lot of the professors who were really helpful and friendly (and even those who weren't were interesting ^^). It made me enjoy again just behind outside with people, talk and share nice moments. Also it was in the middle of the campus with a lot of other students on other subjects and we could see them as well and it was so interesting to see all those different people learning, improving, going towards their goal.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
I liked being able to, for the most part, choose classes that interested me, and being in classes with other people who also had those interests. Also, just being away from home like that for the first time. The friendships I made weren't based on being in the same grade, or living in the same neighborhood like when I was a kid - they were because we just got along as individuals.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
For me, the life freedom...at the time I was for the first time totally on my own, all actions and decisions my responsibility, and it was awesome!!!

zandelux

Since I started college in 2000, another big thing: awesome Internet. I went from dialup to broadband, in the wild west era of Napster. You have no idea how big of a deal that was, if you didn't grow up in that time. My online world went from low-res GIFs on AOL, maybe a chatroom or two; to being able to watch fansubbed anime, listen to any song I wanted for free, and play games with people who weren't in the same room as me. I'm honestly surprised I left my room at all that first year.

TemetNosce88

Know Thyself
As others have said, I liked being able to pick my own classes, but because I lived at home for most of college it really just felt like extended high school to a point.

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
One of my profs would regularly organize card games, specifically hearts, and we would play in the marine wet lab or the pub. Entry was one tub of ice cream and the winners would split the pot. We would have a few drinks and swap jabs at each other. Was a lot of fun.

That and the study abroad opportunities. Getting to study in the Galapagos and Belize were pretty darn cool

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
Does sixth form count as college?
Alright, getting more free time was the best thing out of all. Other than that, I liked the smaller class sizes. Pretty much all of the people who bothered me in the previous year were gone, and I was better acquainted with others in general.

Kinare

RAWR
The one thing I can say I enjoyed about my time in college was the fact that I got to live in a huge city without my parents around and it was actually a nice experience overall (if you don't count the more traumatic parts of it that still haunt me to this day and others that cripple me financially)... It was my first time really seeing what life was like outside of my hometown and really experiencing adulthood. I got to make my own rules for myself for once in my life. I turned 21 while there, so of course booze was involved, but I never got drunk because I simply don't like the taste enough, even the stuff I kinda liked. Best part though was just the overall feeling of being in a big city like that. Pittsburgh just has some feel to it I can't describe... I just really liked it. It feels... industrial but artsy at the same time? That probably makes no sense. xD Ahh well. I went exploring with a couple of friends I had made once and it was a lot of fun just seeing what the city had to offer. Oh, right, and I had friends! That was the last time I had IRL friends... *smol crai*

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
The one thing I can say I enjoyed about my time in college was the fact that I got to live in a huge city without my parents around and it was actually a nice experience overall (if you don't count the more traumatic parts of it that still haunt me to this day and others that cripple me financially)... It was my first time really seeing what life was like outside of my hometown and really experiencing adulthood. I got to make my own rules for myself for once in my life. I turned 21 while there, so of course booze was involved, but I never got drunk because I simply don't like the taste enough, even the stuff I kinda liked. Best part though was just the overall feeling of being in a big city like that. Pittsburgh just has some feel to it I can't describe... I just really liked it. It feels... industrial but artsy at the same time? That probably makes no sense. xD Ahh well. I went exploring with a couple of friends I had made once and it was a lot of fun just seeing what the city had to offer. Oh, right, and I had friends! That was the last time I had IRL friends... *smol crai*
Same tbh. Whilst I've lived all over the UK I've never been in any of the major cities until now, so life in Liverpool has been interesting. Shame about the lockdown, but I did get to meet friends once. I've never been a fan of alcohol myself but none of my classmates are heavy drinkers so we just go out for coffee and whatnot.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I miss living in a lively 'college town', one that at the time had a lot of the following:

-used book stores and comic shops
-record and music stores
-vintage clothing shops
-busy coffee shops
-places to see live music, from local bands to bigger acts

...and just places to hang out, in general.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Having access to hi-tech scientific equipment. We were doing some really sci-fi shit with it. You wouldn't believe what I was involved with before my sanity went to hell, ruining everything...
(It's true what they say, there's a thin line between genius and insane, and I tipped over. ;) )