• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

FBI monitoring my IP?

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
It's fake, almost certainly fake. The FBI dont actively monitor users internet activity without evidence of a suspected crime and a court-order to wiretap. They certainly wouldnt announce it in that fashion either. So no need to freak out.

On the other hand.. I have heard reports that the FBI setup honey-pot links to snag potential paedos, some of these were discovered, and hidden as bit.ly links, plasted and posted in a few forums to trick unsuspecting users into following them, completely innocently.
Heh lucky for you guys CISIS (Canada's equivalent of all homeland security, FBI (special units not law enforcement units) and CIA) have a really wide duristicion that makes them able to get away with allot also no declssification dates for anything like in the USA its kinda funny but our version of 'the agency' is kinda spookily unhindered.

Shino

Now with more Writer's Block!

WarMocK

I like to nuke ^^
LOL, so they jumped on the Orwell train now. :D
I found a mail in my SPAM folder a few days ago as well, with all that "FBI is watching you" bla-bla, and of course with a link to a safe proxy which will NEVER be hijacked by the FBI ... needless to say, the only thing I clicked was the "DELETE" button. :A

L

LizardKing

"Install this awesome ActiveX widget to stop the FBI spying on you! Just $2,99! Enter card details here!"

WarMocK

I like to nuke ^^
"Install this awesome ActiveX widget to stop the FBI spying on you! Just $2,99! Enter card details here!"
You know what the scariest part about that one is? Lots of people would actually buy that thing. :-|

NomeKo

Originally Posted by LizardKing
You know what the scariest part about that one is? Lots of people would actually buy that thing. :neutral:

So where do i sing? oh.. wait, that was a joke? oops :D

Foxstar

lol reggin
Hell if Frank had gotten one of these popups, he wouldn't be spending the next six years in D block.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Yeah, looks like you avoided becoming the victim of scareware.

Disable pop-ups. Update your Ad Block subscription. Also, consider getting the NoScript extension. I never allow JavaScript from any of the ad networks because no ad is so important it needs to run untrusted code in the browser (even in a sandbox) just to show it.

If you're still panicking...

Free antivirus/antispyware for Windows (free license for personal use): AVG Free Edition
http://free.avg.com/

Spyware scanning and prevention: Windows Defender - If you're running Windows Vista, you already have this.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx
(Formerly Microsoft Antispyware, formerly Giant Antispyware before that.)

Better spyware scanning: Spybot Search & Destroy (still) http://spybot.info/ - Don't install the TeaTimer feature if you're using another resident antispyware like, McAfee, Norton, AVG, or Windows Defender.

Better spyware scanning still: MBAM http://malwarebytes.org/

Double-post for a tangent that would only get lost in the tangled mess above.

Linux also doesn't get viruses.

Malware for Linux and Mac both exist. (Indeed, the world's first computer virus was written for the Mac.) What makes Linux and Mac so immune that malware for them is unheard of today are the combination of much better security designs throughout and much fewer numbers on the edge. The bad guys who try face a difficult task, and even if they succeed, the number of targets is likely so few that there's not enough money to be made (legally or otherwise) to cover the cost.

However, it's still possible to trick an unsuspecting Linux or Mac user (especially if that user is a sudoer) into downloading and installing a malicious package if the promise is that the package will prevent something scary, like the FBI hacking into your computer. Slipping malware into Linux and Mac isn't nearly as easy as it is into Windows, but it's still possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
Well hey thanks for posting here and getting us all listed as acquaintances in your file, pedo. :v