• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Feed back..Starting a illustrated comic/graphic novel

Sigvard Alfrothul

In this section I invite you to deliberate and troubleshoot among artist in an attempt to help others in their art or storytelling. This includes providing sources or suggestions to help fellow artist along, or just giving general feedback or criticism to various elements! In no way are you required to take suggestions provided nor should the providers expect you to.

Sigvard Alfrothul

I’ll start this off by sharing some insight into my own work and welcome any feedback! I’ve been working on a story for the last year and a half and I’m currently on world building. I have my own style of art and many of the main characters developed. However I’m thinking of possibly involving anyone who would like to be involved by including them as a background character and have their fursona drawn or included in the illustrations... I’m thinking of making it a Patreon thing for those who support the comic... however I’m at a impass as I’m not sure if everyones character design would fit in the story. I’d hate to make it a selective process and not be inclusive as I want. Any thoughts? this project is still a long while off!

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I’ll start this off by sharing some insight into my own work and welcome any feedback! I’ve been working on a story for the last year and a half and I’m currently on world building. I have my own style of art and many of the main characters developed. However I’m thinking of possibly involving anyone who would like to be involved by including them as a background character and have their fursona drawn or included in the illustrations... I’m thinking of making it a Patreon thing for those who support the comic... however I’m at a impass as I’m not sure if everyones character design would fit in the story. I’d hate to make it a selective process and not be inclusive as I want. Any thoughts? this project is still a long while off!
I have also pondered similar things to this. How far in development is the story? Is it close to the end? Are you just looking for things to fill up the gaps/white space?

I fell out of this idea because right now I need to focus on fleshing out and refining my series. I can't spend the extra time worrying about bg characters because I could still end up changing things and basically end up scrapping bits. When I get closer to the end I might do it, but it's basically a distraction for me. Especially since my story is incredibly long.

tentiv

Does anyone have any advice on speech-bubble fonts? I'm currently using Krita, and I can't decide whether I like the Noteworthy font (pictured below, forgive the messy sketch). It looks smooth, but the apostrophes seem too small. Any tutorials on panel/page composition would be nice, too, like when is a background necessary. Sometimes I feel like I'm cramming too much information into too little space.
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 11.54.31 AM.png

You could see if your patrons are okay with altering their characters' designs. If you have a fantasy story, and need to insert a character with a bionic arm, see if they're okay to change it to a hook-hand or perhaps a heavily-armored regular arm? Then again, that doesn't help if it's something like, "All of my characters are earth tones and I need to somehow insert a neon pink-and-purple raver bunny".

TyraWadman

Does anyone have any advice on speech-bubble fonts? I'm currently using Krita, and I can't decide whether I like the Noteworthy font (pictured below, forgive the messy sketch). It looks smooth, but the apostrophes seem too small. Any tutorials on panel/page composition would be nice, too, like when is a background necessary. Sometimes I feel like I'm cramming too much information into too little space.
C...comic sans?
Though it can be a bit more work, spacing out your panels could help.
Especially if it's in their character to be extroverted and bubbly.

"I can't believe I'm actually meeting you!" ^o^
"It's so cool how you guys survive way out here; like a genderqueer oasis." OuO
"You ever though about moving to a big city?"8o

I could easily see these as three separate panels, if not bubbles. So if the bubbles don't fit, find a way to make the panel bigger?

Edit: some visual examples of what I mean by multiple bubbles:

2ce9fde369b4ef3b352ad3eb07124bac.jpg
2f23ffcf38182c56e7f420c6702b7483.jpg

Last edited:

tentiv

C...comic sans?

I could easily see these as three separate panels, if not bubbles. So if the bubbles don't fit, find a way to make the panel bigger?

Much better! Thanks for the tip.
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 10.12.58 PM.png

Sigvard Alfrothul

I have also pondered similar things to this. How far in development is the story? Is it close to the end? Are you just looking for things to fill up the gaps/white space?

I fell out of this idea because right now I need to focus on fleshing out and refining my series. I can't spend the extra time worrying about bg characters because I could still end up changing things and basically end up scrapping bits. When I get closer to the end I might do it, but it's basically a distraction for me. Especially since my story is incredibly long.
I have a lot of my story developed, but I’m mainly halted because of the gaps between certain plot points... I’m drawing blanks and my attempts to fill them do usually lead to more story but often offshoot plots that could stand as a separate story rather than fill the gaps. If anything it creates more gaps I have confidence I will connect every thing in a way that is Satisfying over time.... so I’m letting what I have simmer while I work on figuring out other details... I often find solutions when developing other aspects, leaving one thing for awhile then coming back once I had some time to think. Often the solution just pops in my head or are inspired by something... forcing some filler often leads me disliking what I come up with because it often feels hollow or bland....

Sigvard Alfrothul

C...comic sans?

Agreed that will do wonders

TyraWadman

I have a lot of my story developed, but I’m mainly halted because of the gaps between certain plot points... I’m drawing blanks and my attempts to fill them do usually lead to more story but often offshoot plots that could stand as a separate story rather than fill the gaps. If anything it creates more gaps I have confidence I will connect every thing in a way that is Satisfying over time.... so I’m letting what I have simmer while I work on figuring out other details... I often find solutions when developing other aspects, leaving one thing for awhile then coming back once I had some time to think. Often the solution just pops in my head or are inspired by something... forcing some filler often leads me disliking what I come up with because it often feels hollow or bland....
Well if you ever want to talk about your works in DMS or something Im game! I keep running into similar problems with my own stuff.

30 chapters and I still don't have all the gaps filled. ToT

tentiv

Wondering if anyone has advice for writers block?

For me, writer's block happens when I think "oh, all my ideas are all too goofy." That's like a gardener decapitating every single sapling as soon as it pokes it's green head out of the earth. Nothing can grow. When I don't know what happens next, I let every idea grow for a little bit, no matter how goofy they look. This romantic coming-of-age story is too predictable, how about one character suddenly starts getting night visits from a malignant hallucination? What if that malignant hallucination told her things about the future? What if those things came true? After I have like five extreme ideas, I see which one holds my interest the most, and try to tone it down a bit (pruning branches after the tree grows). Maybe instead of a ghost in her bedroom, it could be a weird classmate at school.

A more general approach is to look at the themes and message of your story and see if there's any other way to express them. This could mean looking at other works that are similar to yours, fiction or fact. I'm a big proponent of the saying, "Good writers borrow, great writers steal." I hope to eventually steal the fantastic milkshake scene from Perks of Being a Wallflower:

Of course, in this context "stealing" means to take the essence of something and adapt it to your purposes. I ask myself, why do I love this specific scene? There's the complete mood whiplash, the casualness with which the main character says it that maybe indicates he hasn't quite processed it yet, and the look on Emma Watson's face when she realizes that someone she thought was young and naive actually has a lot of baggage. It helps me imagine something with those general characteristics in my own story.

Sigvard Alfrothul

For me, writer's block happens when I think "oh, all my ideas are all too goofy." That's like a gardener decapitating every single sapling as soon as it pokes it's green head out of the earth. Nothing can grow. When I don't know what happens next, I let every idea grow for a little bit, no matter how goofy they look. This romantic coming-of-age story is too predictable, how about one character suddenly starts getting night visits from a malignant hallucination? What if that malignant hallucination told her things about the future? What if those things came true? After I have like five extreme ideas, I see which one holds my interest the most, and try to tone it down a bit (pruning branches after the tree grows). Maybe instead of a ghost in her bedroom, it could be a weird classmate at school.

A more general approach is to look at the themes and message of your story and see if there's any other way to express them. This could mean looking at other works that are similar to yours, fiction or fact. I'm a big proponent of the saying, "Good writers borrow, great writers steal." I hope to eventually steal the fantastic milkshake scene from Perks of Being a Wallflower:

Of course, in this context "stealing" means to take the essence of something and adapt it to your purposes. I ask myself, why do I love this specific scene? There's the complete mood whiplash, the casualness with which the main character says it that maybe indicates he hasn't quite processed it yet, and the look on Emma Watson's face when she realizes that someone she thought was young and naive actually has a lot of baggage. It helps me imagine something with those general characteristics in my own story.
That was wonderful advice, thank you for the tips I will definitely utilize them going forward!