• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Feedback wanted

BubbleBee01

I’m still pretty new to anthro art and I’m working on developing my style. I was trying something (you can see in my old posts or my FA) but not liking it so I tried to switch things up a bit.

This is just a headshot but I’m wondering how the overall style looks and am looking for general feedback as well.

Here’s a link to the drawing: www.furaffinity.net: Headshot practice by BubbleBee01

NargaArt

Before I start, I should tell you to take my advice with a grain of salt, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about! Maybe I'm just a loony that's full of nonsense. You can take all my advice, some of it, or none of it!

That being said, I would say to not worry about style. I see a lot of new artists, myself included, jumping straight to finding a style before they learn the fundamentals. They try to hide behind style to avoid learning the basics, and hiding their mistakes behind "that's just my style". I would say to learn the fundamentals, the basics, and adjust them to fit particular tastes.

So, to start, first thing I noticed is that your shadow color is just a darker version of the base color, which I will call average light because color is affected by light. It's typically uncommon to see "base color" since light plays a strong part in deciding what the color our eyes end up seeing. Shadow is often times cooler than the average light color, more blue. When the subject is hit with a cool light, the shadow will often times appear warmer. In the case of your piece, I decided to go with a cooler shadow. I hue shifted the color towards the blue, lowered the value, and played with the saturation until it felt right, usually i increase the saturation but decreasing works too, depends on how you implement it.

You also placed some lighter values around which I assume is the highlight. Highlights are quite intense so you can blast them in there, You don't need to be so subtle with highlights. And highlights tend to have decently hard edges so I wouldn't soften them so much. On that note, as a personal taste, I like to mix in hard and soft edges. Newer artists especially like to do all their shading with the soft round brush and ignore the opportunity to play with harder edges. You can see at the cheeks in my over paint where I left in some hard edges, it gives it a little more variety and makes it more fun to look at, imo. Again, personal taste but I'm not a fan of the soft round brush to do shadows.

There were some strange areas where you placed shadow when they should be in light, I think this is more about not understanding the form of what you're drawing so I drew the topology lines over your piece. The planes, or areas, facing the light gets light, and the planes facing away gets shadow. This is most noticeable around the eyes.

I did the overpaint pretty quickly so I'm sure there are errors, so definitely, and I invite you to question everything I say and try them out yourself. Don't take what I say as rules because rules can, and are often times broken, which is where style comes in. I tried to keep the "style" the same but again, don't worry about developing a style. Just worry about making good art. And keep at it! Everyone starts somewhere! :D

critque_01.JPG
critque_02.JPG