• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Feelings About Were-Animal Stories

So, I'm curious, what's preferable: Stories/books featuring anthropomorphic creatures that have always been that way, or ones involving people that shift between human form and an anthropomorphic form?

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I've always had a preference of animals over anthropomorphs, so I prefer either a book with an animal character, like The Incredible Journey or Call of the Wild, or a were-beast that goes full critter. (Werewolf instead of wolfman, in example.) One of my favorite RL Stine books that actually wasn't scary at all was about a family of werecats.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
More were-skunks obviosly! But could be in either context you mentioned. I like the idea of ones that spray...to create more were-skunks!

I've always had a preference of animals over anthropomorphs, so I prefer either a book with an animal character, like The Incredible Journey or Call of the Wild, or a were-beast that goes full critter. (Werewolf instead of wolfman, in example.) One of my favorite RL Stine books that actually wasn't scary at all was about a family of werecats.
Do you feel there are a lack of these types of stories?

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
Do you feel there are a lack of these types of stories?
I feel like Animorphs and kids' books probably has the lion share of these types. I'd like to see more of them for adults. Not necessarily NSFW, but a world where teenagers didn't do everything would be nice.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I feel like Animorphs and kids' books probably has the lion share of these types. I'd like to see more of them for adults. Not necessarily NSFW, but a world where teenagers didn't do everything would be nice.
As a kid, I liked the Animorphs books. They were YA books, but the main characters were believable and their struggles were understandable. The morphing was also depicted very realistic in the sense that it took you through what the characters felt as the animals they transformed into. The later books in the series were justifiably dark.

babykitty

Sir, I'll have you know that teenagers are the most efficient at getting the job done.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I like shapeshifters a lot, especially when they go full animal. They don't have to start full human either. I usually leave mine with traces of their animal versions. Then anything like lycanthropy is treated as a disease.

When I was growing up I didn't see the problem with this. As I get older, I'm like wow no. You're just a kid! So I agree...more things geared to older audiences. Don't have to be littered with X Rated things, but being able to dive into more adult problems or just. Not having a fifteen-year-old saving the world would be nice.

JZLobo

It depends on the story you're trying to tell, really.

When I was growing up I didn't see the problem with this. As I get older, I'm like wow no. You're just a kid! So I agree...more things geared to older audiences. Don't have to be littered with X Rated things, but being able to dive into more adult problems or just. Not having a fifteen-year-old saving the world would be nice.
Hah, I was just watching Linkara joke about this concept in his History of Power Rangers. I feel like Avatar The Last Airbender did the best job at justifying this kind of concept; adults helped where and when they could, but most were busy fighting the war on their own fronts to stick around and really help the protagonists for long.

KitWulf

Androgynous Homolupus
Why not split the difference and have both?
Project I'm working on has Shifters; those who are born with an animal form they can shift into, and Were-animals, who can transform after a near death attack. The way I have the Weres written out, they have a traditional upright over 7 foot 'monster' form, a larger version of a natural animal, and have the ability to do a 'half shift' or partial change. In a partial change they gain some animalistic features and muscle mass, but as long as they don't go past a certain point, it isn't considered a full shift.