• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Ferals and Anthros in the same world?

Would ferals and anthros live in the same world?

• Yes, ferals and anthros live in the same world, but they cannot communicate with one another.

• Yes, ferals and anthros live in the same world, but they can communicate and understand each other.

• No, only anthro animals would exist in this universe.

• No, only feral animals would exist in this universe.

Results are only viewable after voting.

IncenseAndIron

Big Tough Werewolf
This is my first time posting a poll here, but I am genuinely curious as to what everyone's opinions are.

Would anthros and ferals live together in the same world?
And if so, that raises other questions. Would it be ethical for an anthro to slay a feral deer, for example, and eat it? Would humans live alongside anthros? Would anthros be able to talk to ferals?

I am curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I look at it from a Darwinism approach. Humans and Monkeys live in the same world, but they might as well be a different species due to evolution. It's not so hard to see how ferals and anthros could be the same. Theoretically.

That being said, in my setting, the Anthros aren't even technically real (and neither are the sentient ferals). There are non-sentient normal ferals but most of them are domesticated and rare due to the setting...but that's just extra details.

Chomby

Impulsive? Impulsive.
In a project I'm working on ferals and anthros live in the same world. The difference is that anthros are mutated into being anthro and ferals are not. So the anthros are clearly something different from ferals.
Yeah it's like the anthros view themselves as more human than animal, so there is little to no connection to their feral cousins.

AniwayasSong

This is my first time posting a poll here, but I am genuinely curious as to what everyone's opinions are.

Would anthros and ferals live together in the same world?
And if so, that raises other questions. Would it be ethical for an anthro to slay a feral deer, for example, and eat it? Would humans live alongside anthros? Would anthros be able to talk to ferals?

I am curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.
A writer/artist is free to create whatever universe they want, IMHO. Not sure why there has to be an 'Absolute' restriction or condition?

IncenseAndIron

Big Tough Werewolf
A writer/artist is free to create whatever universe they want, IMHO. Not sure why there has to be an 'Absolute' restriction or condition?
I never said there was. Like I said in the post, I literally just asked what each individual person's opinion was.

Last edited:

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

Yeah, to go off of the OP, I think they just wanted others perspectives of how they feel Anthros would interact with Ferals.

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
I've seen comics with both anthros and ferals that were just regular animals.
In the sort of multiverse that I came up with for my fursona, ferals and anthros exist due to various gods "uplifting" animals independently of each other.

Yastreb

Are we talking about, like, sentient ferals or something? Because I'm not sure if I understand the question otherwise. I'm pretty sure the entire ecosystem would collapse and there would be a mass extinction if there were no regular animals at all, just a handful of sentient species. Same thing if all the millions of animal species were sentient.

IncenseAndIron

Big Tough Werewolf
Are we talking about, like, sentient ferals or something? Because I'm not sure if I understand the question otherwise. I'm pretty sure the entire ecosystem would collapse and there would be a mass extinction if there were no regular animals at all, just a handful of sentient species. Same thing if all the millions of animal species were sentient.
I guess it depends on each person's opinion; what I'm asking is what each person here thinks, and their opinion on ferals and anthros coexisting (or if they ever would). Also, I think the word you are looking for is "sapient". /nm

Tetrachroma

"nEw UsEr"
Realistically there should be some kind of meat source for any non-herbivore anthro species.
The excuse I give is this: in a very abstract sense, apes and other primates are basically the feral forms of humans, but we don't view them as such. We just see them as intelligent animals with a very close evolutionary lineage to us. Likewise, an anthro deer could definitely draw connections between them and a feral deer, but likely wouldn't view themselves as being the same thing.
As for consumption, there's a pretty significant amount of real-world cultures in which it's socially acceptable to eat monkey meat. With this in mind, I'd imagine an anthro animal world would take little issue in the killing and eating of their feral counterparts, and even less in eating feral species completely unrelated to them, though the laws and customs of different regions may likely have an impact on what they're allowed access to.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
They're possible in the Sonic lore as the Xorda haven't gene bombed them to mutate with human DNA, I have them just as feral in my story and ironically the humans use them against my Moebians. Even though my villains can also just train ferals to use on humans like anyone could. It's very odd when the anthro Mobians have ferals as pets, but hey. I just have animal rights under the Order of Moebius.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Likewise, an anthro deer could definitely draw connections between them and a feral deer, but likely wouldn't view themselves as being the same thing.
This. It's my (mild) pet peeve when people consider anthros and ferals to be one and exactly the same species. Assuming you wish to keep the matters fairly realistic and not cartoony/metaphorical, a regular typical fox is not the same kind of thing as a 1.8-meter tall fox-like humanoid creature (unless shapeshifting is involved, or something like that). And for purposes of a coherent setting, shouldn't be considered the same species. And then I see no reason why anthros and ferals would not be able to coexist in the same world.

Rayd

profound asshole
the moment you bring in the specifics of realism or believability or any other topics remotely similar with "anthros in the real world" scenarios, you can quickly see how much it just wouldn't work in general. it would be impossible to have any kind of modern or advanced society. accommodating for thousands of species as opposed to just one would make any kind of mass-production for just about everything we currently mass-produce that you can think of impossible. clothing, food, medicine, vehicles, housing, furniture, appliances - it's just not possible. and there would be dozens if not hundreds of other massive problems, too, that i've covered on a similar thread. road laws, public buildings and services, an infinitely larger amount of dispute within the society, far more dangerous crime & criminals. it'd be horrible. the only way an anthro world could work (when including realism and assuming everything doesn't just work out just because) would be if it was a primitive or medieval civilization.

adding sapient ferals to that already impossible to manage cast would make what would already be a huge nightmare a lot worse. there would be too many problems already for the difference between ferals and anthros to really matter.

Yastreb

the moment you bring in the specifics of realism or believability or any other topics remotely similar with "anthros in the real world" scenarios, you can quickly see how much it just wouldn't work in general. it would be impossible to have any kind of modern or advanced society. accommodating for thousands of species as opposed to just one would make any kind of mass-production for just about everything we currently mass-produce that you can think of impossible. clothing, food, medicine, vehicles, housing, furniture, appliances - it's just not possible. and there would be dozens if not hundreds of other massive problems, too, that i've covered on a similar thread. road laws, public buildings and services, an infinitely larger amount of dispute within the society, far more dangerous crime & criminals. it'd be horrible. the only way an anthro world could work (when including realism and assuming everything doesn't just work out just because) would be if it was a primitive or medieval civilization.

adding sapient ferals to that already impossible to manage cast would make what would already be a huge nightmare a lot worse. there would be too many problems already for the difference between ferals and anthros to really matter.
That's why I tend to imagine that there would be only a few intelligent species in one world, and not more than twenty or so even if they are of artificial origin. Some Zootopiaesque world with literally thousands of intelligent species would never even make it to the modern stage.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned

Unless said society picked and choose which variants and species would be allowed in or not. That is sort of how I wrote the Order, they allow certain species and shun others. (They're the villains btw), so they basically would be homogenic in hierarchy. Not fair, but they're the villains. Certain Mammalia species are more able to produce their own materials, (foxes, cats, dogs, wolves, pretty much anything with more human like anatomy), where other species are second hand citizens. By regulating the amount of variations of species in your empire or nation, you can have more resources to accommodate them. For instance my character Augusta is an elephant, but she's very rare and her boss Amanda just had custom sized extra large clothing made for her.

Ferals would be looked at like pets and guard animals. So sort of like how we treat feral animals IRL.

Paws the Opinicus

*Not technically* a Gryphon!
In my world, while I did vote for 'yes ferals, but can't communicate', it's a matter of 'they are smart, they can learn to, they just usually don't choose to.' They're not at war, but ferals are rare and usually indistinguishable from regular animals unless they make themselves appear otherwise (usually through decoration and artificial markings), just as smart as, and usually untrusting of anthros, while they do (oddly) trust humans. Only a few anthros know of the existence of ferals, the public in the majority are uninformed. Though there's also humans in this world, the most of which do know of ferals, far more than anthros, while anthros far outnumber ferals (the ratio is probably 1000 humans to 20 anthros to 1 feral), but in general all three races coexist and do not cause trouble for each other.

Mostly because the world started with just ferals and humans, and anthros are a recent race brought about by mutation caused by otherworldly causes (space borne debris).

There's a whole lot of lore to the place, nonetheless. Ferals defend themselves and humanity, and those anthros that choose to not be troublemakers, as anthros are, well, usually the troublemakers. :D

Also I'm referring to just one world, while I know the OP says 'universe'. I don't want to set the rules on such a vast expanse. :D

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
That's why I tend to imagine that there would be only a few intelligent species in one world, and not more than twenty or so even if they are of artificial origin. Some Zootopiaesque world with literally thousands of intelligent species would never even make it to the modern stage.
Not to mention, who is getting milked to make the ice cream?

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Not to mention, who is getting milked to make the ice cream?

As gross as it is, who isn't to say some female cows do this to make money? I mean technically humans make baby formula. Also, milking doesn't hurt cows so this could be a market for a lot of cow anthros to make money.

Tetrachroma

"nEw UsEr"
41b3af96b87fcc4a449bac361fae9598.jpg