• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"File Read Only"

RyuuYouki

Figment of your Imagination
That would be /your/ idea of clean, you see - not his. Pushing your views on things onto somebody else gets you ignored on a genetic level, especially if you're being rude and abrasive.
It is you who need that apartment clean, not him; he's fine with how it is. You can compromise but that implies both sides win some lose some; you can no longer have your "I want you to do this my way" attitude.

That would be MOST peoples idea of clean. Just because one out of ten people is a lazy f@%$ doesn't mean its acceptable.

Volkodav

Dad****er
That would be /your/ idea of clean, you see - not his. Pushing your views on things onto somebody else gets you ignored on a genetic level, especially if you're being rude and abrasive.
It is you who need that apartment clean, not him; he's fine with how it is. You can compromise but that implies both sides win some lose some; you can no longer have your "I want you to do this my way" attitude.
Well no, I assume piles of dirty clothes and garbage all over the house is not considered "clean". If it is affecting the rest of the room-mates, there has to be a change.
Nobody said the room-mate would be asked in a rude or abrasive way

I really don't even know how you can sit and say "It is you who need that apartment clean, not him; he's fine with how it is." is fine. If this were a real situation and someone was happy with letting their dog shit all over the house, you would be kicking his ass out, or at LEAST asking for a little effort in maintaining the house.
To push all the dog shit into the corner of the living room is not fixing anything and it is NOT rude OR abrasive to ask the guy to have a little decency.
But this example is getting out of hand/off topic so I'm dropping this now.

Riddickaluss.

Wow, you really missed the point.

kayfox

From curiosity are these submissions being stored in an actual database or just a file system? If it is a database, none of these issues should exist. Look into transaction log shipping, if it is a file system then shame on you *wags finger*. :3 All in all it is a free site whose operational costs have to be very close to if not exceeding its income so be nice.

Why not files in a file system, isnt that what file systems are made for?

Commercial sites have staff that work on their maintenance full time and are being paid for it.
FA on the other hand is being run by volunteers who work full time elsewhere, and maintain the site in their off-work hours. Tired and under the pressure of constant negativity from from a part of the userbase to whom nothing we do will ever be good enough.

You constantly complain about how your overworked, underpaid and generally derided. Yet you constantly tell all of those people who offer to help to go away, or string us along with "well, someday I will setup some thing to let us collaborate." Its not that damn complicated, you send me an NDA, I sign it, notarize it, send it back to Dragoneer, whatever. Then you send me shit and I fix shit. Does it have to be more complicated than that?

How about the negativity? You are as much to blame as anyone else for it, you constantly strung along people and as far as they could tell, lied to them. People then get frustrated, and really, you expect us to be all flowers and fluffy bunnies when were frustrated to all hell with you? You say you want to change this, how about working in a positive direction, and no, a positive direction is not black box rewrites or the like.

We were actually working on a live migration akin to what you've described, but we ran out of time and were forced to move data this way because there was simply no space left on the drives.

The fact that I can migrate twice as much data in mere hours should say something about the speed in which things should move. Its not that complicated, tar and netcat, just do it. You shouldint wait till the last minute to fix things, it exacerbates the issue and leaves you no time to correct mistakes.

Here someone is trying to provide you with an example of a situation where there is a commonly accepted way of doing something, but the person asked to do it does a half arsed job of it, what just leaves the problem for themselves or someone else later. You seemed to miss this. Maybe this is a cultural thing? In most western European countries and North America, messy is bad, and people should clean up their apartments. Its generally accepted that you shouldint leave your apartment a mess. And because it is shared living, your roommates do have a say in how you keep your room.

The problem is, you have the furries who run the internet telling you there is a "right" way to do things, and you just wave them off and ignore them. These are people who know how this shit works more than you, where you might mess with file systems a few hours a week, we have people who spend all day on them. Its kinda strange that you turn all of this potential help away. Unfortunately most of these people have moved on, and wont even consider helping anymore.

Last edited:

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
The fact that I can migrate twice as much data in mere hours
I assume you also took in account the sheer amount of files to be transferred?
1,7 TB in ~4-5MB files... That's MASSIVE.
(4-5MB was just a guess, imma ask around.)

Cael Thunderwing

Complaining after the fact right now about how there was no notifaction is Beating a dead horse.. and Yes thers people who Help Maintain the Site for Neer are doing it out of their free time when they can i mean they have their own lives that dont Revolve around FA,

if we Want Professional Support care and maintenance of FA? that's going to cost $$, and if that happens you know 'neer would need to turn FA into a pay site, so thank your Asses he hasn't Yet, he could Easily turn around and say " you all want to bitch? here's a big fuck you, FA's Pay to Use! Bitch about that", it's His Site we don't own Jack shit but the art we make, so Help him about the Situation at hand or go bitch in a journal/elsewhere.. with that said,, if your tired of the issues, go flock to (or back to) DA or SoFurry. or a novel idea Start your Own furry art site then in time you'll see what Neer hasto go thru !, 'Nuff said.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Complaining after the fact right now about how there was no notifaction is Beating a dead horse.. and Yes thers people who Help Maintain the Site for Neer are doing it out of their free time when they can i mean they have their own lives that dont Revolve around FA,

if we Want Professional Support care and maintenance of FA? that's going to cost $$, and if that happens you know 'neer would need to turn FA into a pay site, so thank your Asses he hasn't Yet, he could Easily turn around and say " you all want to bitch? here's a big fuck you, FA's Pay to Use! Bitch about that", it's His Site we don't own Jack shit but the art we make, so Help him about the Situation at hand or go bitch in a journal/elsewhere.. with that said,, if your tired of the issues, go flock to (or back to) DA or SoFurry. or a novel idea Start your Own furry art site then in time you'll see what Neer hasto go thru !, 'Nuff said.
I knew it was only time until someone came in here spouting off this "FA IS FREE, DEAL WITH THE ERRORS OR FUCK OFF!!" bullshit

It surprised me because I expected it on the first page

NEWSFLASH. If Dragoneer turned FA into a paysite as a big "fuck you" to people who complain abotu things like security issues, FA would not continue to run for long.

Last edited:

4-5MB?

FA crapverts everything into bad quality jpegs if it's too large shrinking them down to a couple hundred kilobytes.

R

Rozel-Roo

Yay FA down time! I love this! So much work getting done. Sucks really bad for those who had to post commissions and stuff for cash, but for those of you who don't NEED (as if any of us NEED to be on Fa) to be on FA and whom are jumping on the band wagon. B'awwwww.

I for one am happy about the down time, gives me a chance to work on the shit I need to.

nrr

At this point, I would like to note that software projects have power structures for a reason. Perl's is a benevolent dictator for life sort of affair with Larry Wall watching from a distance as a meritocracy issues and revokes a particular mandate of heaven for a single pumpking or patch curator. Linux's structure is similar, with Linus Torvalds himself having more of a hand in everything. Theo de Raadt is the absolute last and final say as to what goes into the CVS tree for the OpenBSD, OpenSSH, and OpenNTPD projects.

On the other hand, a lot of the J2EE community has steering committees and several layers of code review, along with appointed project managers who take a lead role in making sure everything is guided in a coherent direction. At least, that's what happens in the ideal world; often, things are derailed a bit.

Now, that said, I'd like to point something out here, yak: You are the only visible guy from our perspective who has any authority or power over what goes on here. While I would like to be sympathetic, your behavior doesn't seem to be conducive to looking for collaborators on this project. You are the benevolent dictator for life. Furthermore, you've such a death grip on FA that you're unwilling to consider anything but orthogonal black-box implementations that don't involve inspection of the code as it currently runs.

This approach does work for some things, but that collection of things is seriously limited. For the glaring problems with FA currently, this is largely unsuitable without the project turning, consequently, into a service-oriented mess. It isn't big enough for that yet.

kayfox

kayfox@xheotris:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
[...]
192.168.193.35:/share
4.1T 4.0T 128G 97% /share

Last edited:

MikeYoshi

The guy you've never heard of
Not if people know what they're doing. Using 1000x1000 PNGs as a blank canvas works wonders sometimes.

CerbrusNL

kayfox@xheotris:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
[...]
192.168.193.35:/share
4.1T 4.0T 128G 97% /share
Kay, I'm asking for a amount of files.
How many individual files are in that 4 TB?

It takes a lot longer to transfer a GB of 1MB files, than it does to transfer 1 2GB file. The total file size alone says -nothing- about transfer time.

4-5MB?
FA crapverts everything into bad quality jpegs if it's too large shrinking them down to a couple hundred kilobytes.
That file size was just a guess, I can get a more accurate number, later.
That said, unless a submission file exceeds the allowed file size, it's saved in the same format as the original. (Without any kind of conversion).

Last edited:

kayfox

Kay, I'm asking for a amount of files.
How many individual files are in that 4 TB?

It takes a lot longer to transfer a GB of 1MB files, than it does to transfer 1 2GB file. The total file size alone says -nothing- about transfer time.

That file size was just a guess, I can get a more accurate number, later.
That said, unless a submission file exceeds the allowed file size, it's saved in the same format as the original. (Without any kind of conversion).

kayfox@xheotris:~$ ls -laR /share | wc -l

So average filesize around 2.5MB

DragonTalon

Unicorn and Rainbow Collector
This was done. As Cerbrus just said, the backup is finished and completed and nobody even noticed. The downtime is a necessary synchronization, which has little to do with transferring the bits and bytes of the actual art files.

I'm curious what this actually means. There are art files stored on disk, and then a database. The art files have already been transfered, so what exactly has to be synchronized? Is the database being moved to another machine now? I know you guys are busy but with uploads disabled I have to find SOMETHING to keep me busy, and thinking about this seems to be it. :)

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
I'm curious what this actually means. There are art files stored on disk, and then a database. The art files have already been transfered, so what exactly has to be synchronized? Is the database being moved to another machine now? I know you guys are busy but with uploads disabled I have to find SOMETHING to keep me busy, and thinking about this seems to be it. :)

Since the art files are now on different servers, all the links have to be redirected to the new server, new uploads have to be directed to the new server... It's like they've built the town and now they're just updating the maps and roadsigns. Kinda. From my limited knowledge.

CerbrusNL

kayfox@xheotris:~$ ls -laR /share | wc -l

So average filesize around 2.5MB
And how long did you say that took?
Also, could you leave out the command line stuff? Great, you use some linux variant... We don't really need to know.

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
Tired and under the pressure of constant negativity from from a part of the userbase to whom nothing we do will ever be good enough.

Seriously. Who's fault is that?

You've got a website stuffed with bugs, which annoys people. They complain it's not getting fixed in the forums specifically meant to report bugs. Nobody who knows what they are doing or how to fix it comments on it, and it doesn't get fixed. Then when the complaining hits a critical mass, the Totally Real This Time UI gets announced with a vague date. That then passes, and everyone in charge of it tart shuffling their feet, whistling innocently, and devoutly avoiding the threads asking about it.

That is why people complain.

They obviously want to use the site, as they notify of issues with it. But they're fed up of their bugs being ignored. They're fed up with being promised fixes then when they inevitably fail to appear their requests for information getting ignored.

Then as justification for not doing your job, even though it is still a volunteer job, it's still a job you've said you would do, you use victimisation as a reason for not doing what you should be. If you can fix it, then fix it. If you can't fix it, then take on somebody who can. It's not like you're short of applicants for that.

This whole situation is fucking stupid. Most of the complaints could be dealt with by simply updating people on delays and keeping them informed. But you lot are intent on keeping everything secret because the users aren't important enough to know what is going on. So instead you dripfeed information only when it becomes a necessary evil.

Sort it out. Sort it all out. The site, the information blackout, and the attitude and persecution complex.

Seren

Mad Sith
"...synchronizing with the latest changes will take a day, maybe more."

That's wonderful and all, but that was almost 36 hours ago now. ;) Yak, is there any chance of an update on when upload function will be restored? The info thread in Site Status is...not very enlightening, to say the least. An estimate would be nice--are we getting uploads back tonight, or more like sometime this weekend?

Kaji-chuu

Open RPer! Ask for IM
"...synchronizing with the latest changes will take a day, maybe more."

That's wonderful and all, but that was almost 36 hours ago now.
Yak, is there any chance of an update on when upload function will be restored? The info thread in Site Status is...not very enlightening, to say the least. An estimate would be nice--are we getting uploads back tonight, or more like sometime this weekend?

They clearly shouldnt have said a set time period, cause when have they ever been on time? xD

Last edited:

Seren

Mad Sith
They clearly shouldnt have said a set time period, cause when have they ever been on time? xD

Well still, a general estimate of 'tonight' or 'sometime next week' would be nice. XD It's not like I'm dying to upload anything, I'm just curious.

Well still, a general estimate of 'tonight' or 'sometime next week' would be nice. XD It's not like I'm dying to upload anything, I'm just curious.

I suggest arming yourself with a baseball bat and pillow armor. You'll probably be beaten to death by white-knights telling you that because you don't pay for it you're the universe's worse person imaginable and you should have patience or something.