• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"File Read Only"

Seren

Mad Sith
I suggest arming yourself with a baseball bat and pillow armor. You'll probably be beaten to death by white-knights telling you that because you don't pay for it you're the universe's worse person imaginable and you should have patience or something.

That's not the point though--I'm not saying 'hurry up', I'm just asking for a rough estimate or guess. If someone wants to screech at me for politely asking a question, then so be it. I don't really care if the site comes up tonight or next week--I'm only curious because if I know when to expect to be able to upload again, I'll budget my commission work-load to suit it.

Hmm, and I think through reading this I've only seen one person white-knighting so far. :) Thank goodness.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
It's simply bullshit, reason or not.
What they couldn't do in the site news they could have done in the forums as well as vice-versa.

Exactly, it wouldn't have taken two minutes for anyone of the admins to jump online just to post a quick admin message on FA or here on the forums.

That's not the point though--I'm not saying 'hurry up', I'm just asking for a rough estimate or guess. If someone wants to screech at me for politely asking a question, then so be it. I don't really care if the site comes up tonight or next week--I'm only curious because if I know when to expect to be able to upload again, I'll budget my commission work-load to suit it.

Hmm, and I think through reading this I've only seen one person white-knighting so far.
Thank goodness.

They don't have time to give out time estimates. :/

Exactly, it wouldn't have taken two minutes for anyone of the admins to jump online just to post a quick admin message on FA or here on the forums.

You mean like when Dragoneer was supposed to make an apology post because he was selling our browsing/posting information without telling anyone?

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
You mean like when Dragoneer was supposed to make an apology post because he was selling our browsing/posting information without telling anyone?

Exactly, and they don't seem to be learning from past mistakes either. Isn't the point of having a team run a site that they all work together? I mean if one admin couldn't genuinely find the time to post a warning then why not ask another admin to do it? also if they new this was going to happen why not post a warning before furfright and stuff?

Kaluna

*squeak squeak squeak*
An estimate would be nice, we're not likely to get one however. Just as we don't get warnings either.
Because obviously FA doesn't think good relations with it's userbase is important enough.

Occupy FurAffinity, anyone?

Seren

Mad Sith

Well, since Yak had time to post in this thread earlier, clearly, they do have a few spare moments.

EDIT - let me clarify, that remark was not meant at you, it was meant at the administration.

Last edited:

Kaluna

*squeak squeak squeak*
My guess is 4 days, lol I think we'll be back around friday.

Kyrodo

Chaos
Hmm, well they've got the file uploads working so I'd give it a few days up to a week at most. I doubt it'll take that long.

DragonTalon

Unicorn and Rainbow Collector
Since the art files are now on different servers, all the links have to be redirected to the new server, new uploads have to be directed to the new server... It's like they've built the town and now they're just updating the maps and roadsigns. Kinda. From my limited knowledge.

So probably some massive UPDATE command(s) being run on the SQL database to change some data for every single submission. Huh. Shouldn't take DAYS to do that, with only 6 millions submissions, but hard to say without knowing details of what's going on. Databases can get REALLY slow if you need to do something they are not optimized for.

I suspect that since this had never been done before, the admins don't have an exact idea of how long it will take, and if it's SQL statements running, they just sit there chugging without any friendly progress meter. That's assuming everything goes as planned, and with computers, hah! So we probably won't see any estimates on how much longer it will take as that's probably an unknown.

That's my best wild guess anyway.

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
I wouldn;t be surprised if it takes longer seeing as they couldn't find TWO MINUTES to warn us.
We should make repeating yourself a bannable offence.

That said, from what I can see / hear, Kyrodo's guess should be pretty much right:
a few days up to a week at most. I doubt it'll take that long.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
We should make repeating yourself a bannable offence.

I don't necessarily understand the need for that kind of hostility. While I understand interacting with the community is frustrating, and given the nature of FA's relationship with some of it's members. I don't see why that sentence was met with such "should be bannable" Far worse things have been said in the face of criticism.

I agree though, things should be planned out better to give warnings for downtime (sans unexpected). I can kinda deal with the bad programming but communication is the easiest thing for us to access.

It's frustrating because I understand the burden of the staff, and I'm not gonna go into the constant pissing match between those deemed "Angry Nerds" or "The usual crowd" there's no need for it (nor the time tbh). However, we should be communicating to our average users to the best of our ability. That at least is the most important step.

CerbrusNL

I don't necessarily understand the need for that kind of hostility. While I understand interacting with the community is frustrating, and given the nature of FA's relationship with some of it's members. I don't see why that sentence was met with such "should be bannable" Far worse things have been said in the face of criticism.

Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't being entirely serious, there.
Should've added in a :V

Excess-0

Commission Artist
Aww... I hope the site comes up soon. I have paid commissions I was gonna upload last night already. :I

Balls.

MikeYoshi

The guy you've never heard of
I'm assuming things are getting switched over now, because I see people's avatars as the "Image not found" picture.

GingerM

Appaloosa Horsegirl
So probably some massive UPDATE command(s) being run on the SQL database to change some data for every single submission. Huh. Shouldn't take DAYS to do that, with only 6 millions submissions, but hard to say without knowing details of what's going on. Databases can get REALLY slow if you need to do something they are not optimized for.

I wonder if the staff have access to someone with DB expertise? I know from having dabbled very, very superficially with it that the DB's table structure can greatly influence access speed. Also wondering how often the DB is normalized?

CerbrusNL

Also wondering how often the DB is normalized?
That's something you should only have to do once. (or more, if you change the actual DB)

kayfox

[
And how long did you say that took?

Using xfsdump -> netcat -> xfsrestore, approximately 4-5 hours. I never tried tar -c -> netcat -> tar -x because I use XFS and XFS requires journal operations to be atomic and flushed right away, and thusly is slow with file creation/deletion.

Also, could you leave out the command line stuff? Great, you use some linux variant... We don't really need to know.

So, we cant have technical discussion here? Where should we have technical discussion?

Kayfox deserves a medal for the underlying point: Better hardware, Better software, People who know what they're doing.

The sad truth is Ill probably get banned. Especially if I post something like this:

kayfox@xheotris:~$ dmesg | grep processors
[ 0.262124] Total of 1 processors activated (3998.34 BogoMIPS).

The utter hostility the FA staff has had in the site related forums, and talking about the site in general, is appalling. Between CerbrusNL being hostile to anyone critical of the site to Trpdwarf clocking every thread he can and telling people to shut up, it generally leaves everyone here with the impression that you cant say anything bad about anything. Not to make a comparison to current events, but really do you think shutting the protesters out will work any better here than in Times Square? This kind of hostility would not be tolerated at furry conventions, and would be a firable offense in many workplaces. If I was this hostile to customers at work, Id be fired right away. And dont go on about "FA is free, blah blah" you cant be this site without the users, saying the users are worth nothing is belittling their contribution. Would FA be so important if only 100 people used it? Treating the users like this will eventually result in the collapse of the site, its just a matter of the right problem at the right time.

Kesteh

Twenty

I suspect that since this had never been done before, the admins don't have an exact idea of how long it will take, and if it's SQL statements running, they just sit there chugging without any friendly progress meter. That's assuming everything goes as planned, and with computers, hah! So we probably won't see any estimates on how much longer it will take as that's probably an unknown.

That's my best wild guess anyway.

It was stated a while ago that apparently NOT cleaning out the message center leaves a massive hit on the site. I've seen screencaps of users who literally have tens of thousands of each kind of message (Comment, journal, watch, etc) left in there. WHY? I don't know. There's really no point to doing that because you simply go to said user's page and look at the archive that's already there. If it's deleted you'll be left with a "... deleted by owner" marker in your inbox.
I forgot who said it and when, but it made me facepalm at knowing that this could choke the database.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
It was stated a while ago that apparently NOT cleaning out the message center leaves a massive hit on the site. I've seen screencaps of users who literally have tens of thousands of each kind of message (Comment, journal, watch, etc) left in there. WHY? I don't know. There's really no point to doing that because you simply go to said user's page and look at the archive that's already there. If it's deleted you'll be left with a "... deleted by owner" marker in your inbox.
I forgot who said it and when, but it made me facepalm at knowing that this could choke the database.
yea I remember one time yak complained/joked that folks should clean out their messages
then again theres is always that one user that NEVER clear out their messages...also do banned folks still get updates?

Williamca

...And don't banned accounts /store/ those?

This was in response to the massive amount of journals/submissions/comments message inbox.

I would assume they do, since my friend is banned, and she informed me she could still see comments and such.

Last edited:

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
...And don't banned accounts /store/ those?

This was in response to the massive amount of journals/submissions/comments message inbox.
reason I asked this cause when I was suspended I came back to a large number of submissions and journals, thus I would guess folks who are banned are forever gathering submissions notices and journals