• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Finding a fursona you're satisfied with?

Dread Husky

Just another nobody...
Yeah, it seems that with Matthias or any character i've gotten i'm not satisfied. I can't seem to create something that completely 'fits' and that I don't get tired of quickly. Does anyone have any tips/advice on how I could create something to stick with?

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
Or avoid having one altogether as I do. The problem with "fursonas" is that too many people can't seem to draw a line between the character and the creator if the fursona is used in art and/or stories that make that fursona behave differently than the person behind it would.

Without having to worry about any particular fursona, you can create whatever you like and draw/write or whatever about it.

Ilayas

I'd agree with toe on this one. Just make characters they don't necessarily have to represent you and if in the process you find something that does work for you then go with it. But you don't HAVE to have a fursona to be apart of this fandom.

Saharafox

Banned
Banned
Try being original, learn about animals, people have never heard of. They might suit you.

Zseliq

Maybe you could merge your current ones with their best traits rolled together?

Gavrill

ladies~
I have this problem too. But after learning the difference between a character and a fursona, I was able to stick with one of my characters.

Dahguns

The nonsensical drama furry.
Sounds more like a "i dont know who I am" then a "I dont know which character is more like me" thing, to put it bluntly. Go to the bar, get to know yourself :p

outward

Cult of Outward Thinking
I used to have an issue with trying to create alteregos in place of a fursona, which led to a lot of confusion and discomfort for me.

Now, I try to keep it simple; My fursona is "me." No alternative storylines, personalities, or qualities -- just me in fuzzy form and nothing more.

Tigers-Shadow

Wonderer
Mine just "feels" right, I looked at all my favorite animals and combined the qualities. Its still even a work in progress xD

Just look a little at all the 'sonas you've had and figure out just WHAT drew you to them, ad see if they can't be combines.

Or have many and be a shapeshifter, that works for me sometimes too xD

Dread Husky

Just another nobody...
I don't wanna be a 'shapeshifter', it'd be too much of a pain (and too costly) to own that many fursuits. :p Any ideas on finding animals that'd fit me? Matti (the lynx part) was suggested by an ex. I know I don't need one to be in the fandom but i'd like one.

Zseliq

Well there are tests you can take on the net to find out which animal fits you.

Gavrill

ladies~
I don't wanna be a 'shapeshifter', it'd be too much of a pain (and too costly) to own that many fursuits. :p Any ideas on finding animals that'd fit me? Matti (the lynx part) was suggested by an ex. I know I don't need one to be in the fandom but i'd like one.
Maybe use a mix/hybrid of your favorites?
Well there are tests you can take on the net to find out which animal fits you.
Every time I take a test like that, it comes up as cougar o_O

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
It can take trying out mutliple fursona's before you get one that works for you. I suggest perhaps taking it the route where you do some research into animals out there and try to match up their basic behaviors with your own.

Such as your social behavior.
Do you prefer to be alone? Do you shy from groups? If so an animal that is social by nature including Wolves, Dogs, River Otters, Meerkats, ect might not feel right for you.

If on the other hand you prefer to be around people, do you like large groups or really small ones? Look into the behavior to see what animals fit that social pattern.

Think of stuff like that. You might turn up something that really feels like you.

Dread Husky

Just another nobody...
I prefer to be alone and i'm shy/bashful/quiet. I did make a list of some solitary/nocturnal (since unless I have to be up during the day i'm only active at night) animals that I like though.

binturong, ocelot, badger, black bear, panda, mountain lion, artic fox, orangutan, serval, jaguar, sumatran/black rhinoceros, spectacled bear, black-footed ferret, tiger, grizzly, leopard, wombat, loris, tasmanian devil, bongo, aardvark, echidna, aye aye, spotted tailed quoll, opossum, polecat, skunk, two-toed sloth, raccoon, margay, antechinus, caracal, swamp wallaby

Still not sure which one(s) fit me best but it's a start right?

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
I prefer to be alone and i'm shy/bashful/quiet. I did make a list of some solitary/nocturnal (since unless I have to be up during the day i'm only active at night) animals that I like though.

Still not sure which one(s) fit me best but it's a start right?

Yeah it is.

Dread Husky

Just another nobody...
Looking around a bit more I (may) wing it with a lesser panda since they mostly eat and sleep, are crepuscular, usually loners, they're quiet, and don't like heat. Not sure about anything else though.