• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Finding A Fursona

Peacepie999

I recently decided to join the Furry Fandom and have been working on creating a fursona that really represents me. I've taken quizzes and thought about it alot but I can't find any unique animal that suits me. It's always a fox and as much as a love Fennec foxes, I want to be unique and not have a fox, wolf, dog or cat fursona. I love the ocean and consider myself to be funny, kind, loud and happy. Any animals match those qualities?

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
You're not gonna be that unique when it comes to well known animals, unless as Sylox said you decide for your fursona to be a sponge.... just pick an animal you like and personalize it to your liking.

For example my fursona is a fox because I have always been fascinated by them, considering I've only seen one twice before in my backyard before creating my fursona. I liked that sort of mystery behind my fursona... then I actually looked around the fandom and realized that foxes were everywhere... and not very mysterious at all... .but anyways i added details to my liking and there you have it

jtrekkie

Feathered
There are mustelids, like an otter; or there are cetaceans, such as a dolphin. For all of those qualities and a good amount of uniqueness, I tentatively suggest Stellar's Sea Cow.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Meh having a fursona species that's unique is honestly overrated now. They're fun and all but uniqueness doesn't come in the fact that you didn't choose a wolf or a cat for the sake of being different

So if you really like fennec foxes then by all means create a fennec fox or a hybrid or whatever. But don't feel you have to have a unique species

Silver64

Trust me, don't worry too much about individuality when it comes to the species of your fursona. Your uniqueness will shine though you, and that is what will set you apart form all the others. :D
Or you could be like me and be SUPER generic with the name and picture. Seriously. This is a generic, free-to-use- icon I found and it doesn't even specify the species. I've been lying to myself this entire time.

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
Red fox master race. Heil Kitsune!
It is perfectly fine to take a species you like and make a few modifications to your liking, like coloration, hair, and clothes. The easiest thing to do is to make a fursona that resembles you in some way.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
The easiest solution would be to create a fox character that loves to swim in the ocean, and make his backstory the plot of The Little Mermaid 2.

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
I recently decided to join the Furry Fandom and have been working on creating a fursona that really represents me. I've taken quizzes and thought about it alot but I can't find any unique animal that suits me. It's always a fox and as much as a love Fennec foxes, I want to be unique and not have a fox, wolf, dog or cat fursona. I love the ocean and consider myself to be funny, kind, loud and happy. Any animals match those qualities?

You could try out what I did when I came up with my blue rabbit sona. Back when Rocket City Furs had a market place in Second Life I checked out what avatars they had in stock, and they had a pretty decent selection. I let myself wander around til I found a sona I was drawn to. Well, it came out to blue rabbit. And either DSD, or Curious; I ended up going with Curious' Kani Rabbit. And I didn't care two pence that there's plenty of other rabbits in the fandom; Niko is Niko. He is my sona. It's kinda like in The Little Prince when The Prince comes to care for a Rose on his home asteroid, and leaves for Earth and gets sad that there's lots of other Roses because he thought his was unique and the only one. But as he learns that Rose IS unique, even if there's other roses, because it's his rose that he loves and cares for. Your sona is YOUR sona, regardless if there's a dozen other foxes and otters and fennec and what nots. Your sona will be unique because it'll be your sona, and it'll come to have your own little quirks and what nots.

Now, if you feel yourself drawn to the ocean and ocean type sonas that's cool too. Go with it then. Just don't do it because you want to be "special/unique". Like I said before...in due time your own sona will become unique as you spend more time with it and build it up.

Okay, I'll shut up now. x:

Traven V

Luna-tic.
There is no unique in the furry fandom. So be what you want to be. Also look up furry species stereotypes this seems to be important (i.e. like all foxes are slutty. Or something like that.) to describe your fursona, I don't abide by them but it seems to be the popufur opinion.
I suggest you be a Folfogat, which is a fox, wolf, dog and cat mixed together, that would be unique I suppose.

Vær

Mr. Prickles
Not being BIASED but something spiky would be AWESOME! We need more of the Spiky variety. :v

Anyway, as everyone said just pick what makes you happiest! Don't think about whether or not you'll "standout" or be "unique". If something fits you GO FOR IT!

Just make it your own! Y'know?

Just don't try and be 2edgy. :v

Maelstrom Eyre

Ahmoua Wolf
You can always mix species or come up with your own.

Not for the sake of just "standing out" from everyone, but decide what characteristics you like about different animals and find a way to combine them.

My fursona is an orca-wolf. Started off as a "regular" wolf but changed over time, as I became more interested in having a merfur character.

You could be a dolphin-fox. . .like a Dolphox. . .a merfur with the head and torso of an anthro fox but the lower half of a dolphin, similar to a mermaid. :)

There is really no limit to what you are 'allowed" to become, and it can evolve over time.

That's the beauty of creativity and imagination.

Using a fursonas species and hoping nobodys used it before is like playing Russian roulette with a full clip of ammo. At the end of the day pick what you like , tbh I think it's better to make a fursonas before getting involved with the community because then you've created what you want and not a load of people going " don't pick [insert species here] they're generic ". Well that's what I did but ended up with probably one of the most used cliché fursonas in the fandom...eh oh well.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Otter or Dolphin perhaps?

Wakor

Wakor Jones
I agree with the mer-hybrid idea. Sharks are also always a fan favorite!

F

foussiremix

Your fursona could be a gem a freaking gem.
Foxes are mhh meh *dies*