• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Finding a Roommate

Misomie

Lazy Artist
I'm wanting to find a roommate to stay in the spare room at my house. Is there anything that I should look out for or be warned about ahead of time?

I was already going to type up a detailed list of what's what and what the fee covers utility-wise, but any potential red flags that might not seem so red? I know to ask questions and then conduct an interview. Have any of you done the roommate search before?

Brass

I'll live with you OP. This is a good idea. Just ask around.

A

aeroxwolf

Make sure the person has a steady job and will pay rent on time. Someone with similar interests as you such as music, movies, etc. Your going to be living with each other, you need to get along. Is trustworthy, as in they're not going to steal your shit or throw parties when you're not around. These are my conditions when it comes to roommates. Hope it helps

GamingGal

Oh dear, I hate the roommate search. Done it waaaaaayyyyy too many times.

Someone who has the same interest helps, but isn't a requirement. Along those lines, someone with the same sleeping/waking schedule helps as well, otherwise you risk getting on each other's nerves. Be careful when describing the fee/rent and be sure to mention that it will fluctuate with the bills (gas, water, electricity) unless it's a set rate. Finding someone who can provide proof of having a stable, steady job is good, too. Otherwise rent will be hard to get from them. Knowing if they have a significant other helps cause then you'd know if you should expect having another person around a lot. Also might want to set rules for people coming over. I once had a roommate who had this friend over all the time. He practically lived with us, and when I finally got around to asking him to chip in a little for bills he told me his "rent" was my roommate's >.>

All in all, it's hard to get to know someone until you live with them, unfortunately. My current roommate seemed awesome when we met and interviewed, and she still is pretty alright, but since living with her I have realized she is a lot messier than I had anticipated. I'm left to do all the housecleaning and dish washing and everything like that while she enjoys her tv and laptop and whines about her office job. Her kitties also don't get along with mine (mine have never had issues with other cats), so we have to switch days in which we let the cats roam the house.

Sorry bout the rambling and perhaps useless advice. If you have any questions or anything, let me know! I've gone through the roommate search at least four times.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
Thanks for the advice so far guys. This is going to be a tough search, lol.

My perfect roommate would probably be someone just as antisocial as me (I will warn that I don't like socializing much ahead of time) who minds their own business, lol.

Definitely no mooch best friends. Visits are one thing, basically living there is noooooooope. They do get weekends to themselves though so as long as the place isn't trashed, I won't mind hangouts (my room will also be locked on weekends). There will be a contract about preferred quiet hours and visit hours. Stuff like that.

The search will be exhausting but should be worth it. Maybe I have too much faith in people, lol.

Maelstrom Eyre

Ahmoua Wolf
Decide what matters to you - like their cleanliness and participation in REGULAR housework, like mopping floors or cleaning bathrooms or taking out garbage or doing dishes. I don't think it's as important to have the same likes/dislikes, but it is important that you are both respectful of differences, and of privacy and security. Not blaring TV or music. If you are going to share any utility bills, like phone or internet, be sure you are both going to be paying for it.

Have some sort of agreement beforehand regarding other "guests," so you don't end up in a situation where someone moves in, then they "fall in love" and have a baby and their partner and baby all decide to move in, too. . .and their partner is a total slob, or a druggie who steals your stuff to sell it so they can afford their next fix, the baby cries all night, etc.

You might want to consider background checks. I mean, be sure the person doesn't have a long line of previous offenses for things like drugs, theft, or more serious things like domestic violence, sexual predator, etc.

Okay, I know it all sounds really negative and pessimistic. Some roommate arrangements can work out great, but others can be NIGHTMARES so it's always best to take precautions.

Lomberdia

Selling bookmarks!
make sure to include that sex will not (or maybe will) be accepted as rent payment ;)

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
My roommates and I have a contract that says visitors are fine whenever, but they cannot stay overnight more than 7 nights in a month; and we're not allowed in each other's rooms without permission.

Astrium

King of the Noodles
I'll move in with you, Misomie. I'd love to have somewhere other than my house to live.

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
I really hope you live in Seattle because I'm planning to visit there this august. Anyone have a place for me to crash? I promise I won't stain the bed

Misomie

Lazy Artist
@Maelstrom- That sounds utterly terrifying. :( I won't hesitate to call the cops if I notice bad stuff happening.

@Lomberdia- Naaah. I have a boyfriend for that. I want the money. XD

@Saiko- Contracts will be a must. I'm already planning weekly check outs when I use the guest bathroom to clean my fish tanks but otherwise I'll agree to give privacy (unless they are bein bad).

@Astrium- I'm not sure if you are seriou or not.

@Mara- Seattle is in Washington, I live in California.

Astrium

King of the Noodles
@Astrium- I'm not sure if you are seriou or not.

A little, a little not. I fucking hate my house, I really would like to move (preferably back into my old house). On the other hand, Cali's a little far away for me (although I would love to live there).

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
@Mara- Seattle is in Washington, I live in California.

XD Me and my friends booked a connecting flight from Hawaii > Cali > Washington

When I do arrive at Cali I'll look out the window and think... We're just couple of miles apart... If only destiny was kind we can be together.... forever..

( '}{' )

Crunchy_Bat

Incoherent Babble Master
Having room mates is fun provided they are nice enough and respect the space. The biggest issues I have had with room mates have been money, and cleanliness. Other than that I have never really felt there was an issue that couldn't be worked out. Just make sure you get someone who can afford it (obviously) And maybe discuss ways you can split up generic chore work, it really sucks to be in a house where you feel like the only one ever cleaning.

Now I'm off to find out what part of cali you live in and stalk all the potential room mates you're considering. :v