• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
huh... i had to do some admin and i looked at my weapon qualifications

F88 Austeyr
EF88 Austeyr
F89 (SAW)
Maximi (SAW in 7.62)
Mag58 (FN mag)
HK417
Browning M2
Browning Hi power
USP
66mm LAW
84mm Carl Gustav
Remington 870
HK MP5
M4A1
F1 Grenade
Claymore

and i think that was it for some one who doesn't own any guns (anymore any way/yet) i get to play with a lot of toys

Edit: forgot 40mm GLA

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
huh... i had to do some admin and i looked at my weapon qualifications

F88 Austeyr
EF88 Austeyr
F89 (SAW)
Maximi (SAW in 7.62)
Mag58 (FN mag)
HK417
Browning M2
Browning Hi power
USP
66mm LAW
84mm Carl Gustav
Remington 870
HK MP5
M4A1
F1 Grenade
Claymore

and i think that was it for some one who doesn't own any guns (anymore any way/yet) i get to play with a lot of toys

Edit: forgot 40mm GLA

And all the ammo is already paid for. I envy that so much...

You still thinking about getting a .308 bolt gun for yourself?

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
And all the ammo is already paid for. I envy that so much...

You still thinking about getting a .308 bolt gun for yourself?

i think we went through something like 10k worth of 5.56 during a day at the rage each according to a warrant officer

but yeah i am once my current dramas with work and injuries are settled

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Shit forgot about my Supernova 12guage. I have a recoil reduction kit for when I want to go magnum. Holy fucksauce even with the kit those magnum rounds kick like a mule

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
Shit forgot about my Supernova 12guage. I have a recoil reduction kit for when I want to go magnum. Holy fucksauce even with the kit those magnum rounds kick like a mule
get a pistol grip attachment my uncle had a spas 12 years ago before he had to sell it cause he moved to the states i was able to fire it comfortably at like 15 years old

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
i think we went through something like 10k worth of 5.56 during a day at the rage each according to a warrant officer

but yeah i am once my current dramas with work and injuries are settled

10,000 rounds each?! Holy fuck...

I've mulled over getting a .308 bolt action at some point. I'm not too confident in the QC of new manufacture Remington guns, based on some of the things I've read, so a Savage M10/M110 looks like a probable choice for me.

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production

I've mulled over getting a .308 bolt action at some point. I'm not too confident in the QC of new manufacture Remington guns, based on some of the things I've read, so a Savage M10/M110 looks like a probable choice for me.

The model 10 is hands down a way better platform then the 700,good choice!

GreenZone

Banned
Banned

some one was telling me that on average around 1 in 3 Remingtons come with a factory fault of some kind but they're the most versatile and have the most 3rd party after market parts

Ramjet

I don't like the fact that the 700's bolt handle is only copper brazed on...

They can end up doing this just by cycling the bolt normally.

IMG_00677.JPG

Last edited:

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
some one was telling me that on average around 1 in 3 Remingtons come with a factory fault of some kind but they're the most versatile and have the most 3rd party after market parts

If you can find an older used 700 (made before Remington was bought out by Cerberus) that's in good condition and reasonably priced, I'd say go for it. It will likely be a good performer without issue. But I would pass on anything new.

Ramjet

Wow.....

I don't even know what to say about this.

Yeah shitty way to attach a bolt handle to a bolt body imo...
Thing is you don't know if you have a lemon and do this in the first 10 shots,or after 10 years on shot # 5021..
Much prefer one piece bolt bodies,or like the savage 10 have the handle bolted from the rear of the bolt body itself.

Last edited:

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
That's the copper brazing residue your seeing...
Having knowledge of metallurgy and joining similar/dissimilar metals, that was a starved braze. A proper copper brazed joint should have a fillet of copper visible around the full perimeter of the join. If done properly, the joint should be close in strength to the metals being joined. Clearly, that join was starved and poorly prepared. Such a shame, too. To re-braze that operating handle to the bolt, it will most likely need machining afterward.

Ramjet

Having knowledge of metallurgy and joining similar/dissimilar metals, that was a starved braze. A proper copper brazed joint should have a fillet of copper visible around the full perimeter of the join. If done properly, the joint should be close in strength to the metals being joined. Clearly, that join was starved and poorly prepared. Such a shame, too. To re-braze that operating handle to the bolt, it will most likely need machining afterward.

I'm sure when done right it's never a problem,I never have any luck when gambling with Murphy though...Fucker always wins..

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
I'm sure when done right it's never a problem,I never have any luck when gambling with Murphy though...Fucker always wins..
Yeah, I'll agree. Murphy has some serious chops when it comes to firearms. Murph and I had some serious battles when I was building a ROMAK underfolder from a kit. I drilled the barrel to pin it in place, damned pin wouldn't go in. Closer inspection showed the hole was offset by just enough. Mind you, the receiver/barrel never left the drilling vice! That was the point where Murph decided the barrel should never turn in the block. Ever. Many bad words, thrown tools and adult beverages later, the pin was in without redrilling.

Murphy and I are on a first name basis.

that bolt repair should only be undertaken by someone that has done this before multiple times. The handle acts as an additional pseudo locking lug so the clearance in the action dictates where that bolt handle needs to be. Most gunsmiths that do this would use a fixture to hold things while the brazing was being done.

Ramjet

Yeah, I'll agree. Murphy has some serious chops when it comes to firearms. Murph and I had some serious battles when I was building a ROMAK underfolder from a kit. I drilled the barrel to pin it in place, damned pin wouldn't go in. Closer inspection showed the hole was offset by just enough. Mind you, the receiver/barrel never left the drilling vice! That was the point where Murph decided the barrel should never turn in the block. Ever. Many bad words, thrown tools and adult beverages later, the pin was in without redrilling.

Murphy and I are on a first name basis.

that bolt repair should only be undertaken by someone that has done this before multiple times. The handle acts as an additional pseudo locking lug so the clearance in the action dictates where that bolt handle needs to be. Most gunsmiths that do this would use a fixture to hold things while the brazing was being done.

Yup Murphy's a dick,no good intentioned deed goes unpunished:D

A lot of people have said screw it (literally) and just end up installing set screws through the bolt body..

IMG_0140.JPG

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Yup Murphy's a dick,no good intentioned deed goes unpunished:D

A lot of people have said screw it (literally) and just end up installing set screws through the bolt body..

View attachment 20713
I have had that very same repair done to a Remington 700 in .243 because it had a starved braze. Still have it and it's been hunting several times after the repair.

Ramjet

I have had that very same repair done to a Remington 700 in .243 because it had a starved braze. Still have it and it's been hunting several times after the repair.

Good to hear!
The bolt is my only gripe with the 700,other then that it's a great rifle with good fundamentals..
I prefer the bolt throw and smoothness of the 700 over the savage 10.

zeroxwolfx

Here's a couple in my old collection.

My PDW-esque AR pistol
nxoKDdk.jpg

Made with a neato pencil Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel. This is my go-to home defense weapon (still waiting on a suppressor stamp...) Loaded up with 53gr Hornady V-Max. Honestly, this thing weights a hair under 5lbs (unloaded) and I was expecting it to recoil more, and be unpleasant, but... the difference between this and the lower AR, in terms of recoil are basically negligable, other than the flash (which is considerable) there's almost no difference. I love the look, and feel of this thing! I don't have vast swaths of land I live on or anything... and self defense I'd be doing in or around my house would be within 50 yards, so this is A-okay for my uses. Just need to get that dang supressor for it, and slap a red dot on it.

This just a regular ass lightweight AR, also made with a neato BA handson barrel and a 2.5x ACSS optic. This is... the second AR I've built I think, It's quite light, and very enjoyable to shoot.
hWzlz7U.jpg

This is another AR, except this one has a coolio FN CHF barrel and shit! This is the first AR I've ever built, it's a bit heavier that I would have liked, but that being said it's still a dream to shoot.
aUutiV2.jpg

I sort of like building AR's a lot... it's so easy, cheap, and freaking FUN! With how the market is these days... it's kind of hard to build a bad AR. Not to mention I just like tinkering in general.

This is my old VEPR, that I paid way too much for. Of course, I've converted it to take normal AK mags, and put a normal stock on it, and removed the pin and welded thread protector, and put a normal pistol grip on it. This is a nice gun and everything, but truth be told I don't enjoy it much. It's too heavy, and for where I live, I only have access to an indoor range, so no steel cased ammo... so ammo's kind of expensive for me. Not to mention the recoil isn't too enjoyable.
c3Lh9T1.jpg

This is a Ruger SR-1911 Night Watchman Comander, (nitrited finish+trijicon night sights) This is... the second 1911 I've ever had, and for the price I think this one is excellent, it's picky with magazines, but the sights are to die for, and the recoil is just fine. Not my first choice for handguns, but it's pretty, and it's a pleasure to shoot!
RvKtT41.jpg

This is my old Beretta 92FS, plain jane, except for steel parts upgrade, and elite hammer. A great range gun.
UcjJVi3.jpg

I like your old War collectible guns. But many of them are either too expensive, or I just wouldn't have a proper place to use them :/

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
This is my go-to home defense weapon

i can't stand this American attitude

"i need an AR-15 cause there's totally going to be 20 ninja's breaking into my home at some point!"

mate a .22 revolver is going to be deterrent enough for them to get out

zeroxwolfx

i can't stand this American attitude

"i need an AR-15 cause there's totally going to be 20 ninja's breaking into my home at some point!"

mate a .22 revolver is going to be deterrent enough for them to get out

Probably wouldn't need a 30rnd magazine, a 20 round would probably do. That being said, More often than not people break into houses in pairs, or in threes. And as much as I practice, I can't garantee I'd be hitting people, in a stressful situation. Also, if someone's breaking into your house... why NOT have more ammunition? As far as the AR-15 goes. Having an SBR or something like that is much easier to hit targets versus shooting with a pistol. Anyone will tell you, shooting with a handgun is almost an art form in of itself. You only have two points of contact, with a 5 (or less) inch barrel, the slightest bit of movement can make the difference between being an inch off, or two feet away from your point of aim. You have at least four points of contact with that AR, and a 10.5" barrel, and an even longer sight radius, this means I'm much less likely to miss, and if I do, I have more rounds to sacrifice. Also, the faster moving rounds are more likely to break apart in the walls due to velocity (plus the fact that they're polymer tipped) and do damage beyond that.