• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Minerva_Minx

Succumbing to her own psychosis
US Army definition of hypervelocity, if I am tracking. If that is correct, then for small arms it is projectile traveling at 5,000fps or greater.

If so, the standard 5.56NATO round is clocked at 3,250fps. That's maximum powder.

The 7.62x54 is 2,715fps. I've seen some hotter loads which may actually be slightly faster. Projectile is heavier than 5.56.

7.62x39 is 2350-2375fps, depending on manufacturer. These appear more regulated for US code.

So someone's math is off or the source used meters per second when it should have been feet per second which gave a weird number. I would be shocked to find a hunter using a 5,000fps bullet. it would have to look bloated in the casing to get enough black powder to get the projectile to that speed. your rifle would be a cannon, for lack of better term.

Insomnia and energy transfer calculations somehow go together in my head.

Stag_In_Padding

Banned
Banned
US Army definition of hypervelocity, if I am tracking. If that is correct, then for small arms it is projectile traveling at 5,000fps or greater.

If so, the standard 5.56NATO round is clocked at 3,250fps. That's maximum powder.

The 7.62x54 is 2,715fps. I've seen some hotter loads which may actually be slightly faster. Projectile is heavier than 5.56.

7.62x39 is 2350-2375fps, depending on manufacturer. These appear more regulated for US code.

So someone's math is off or the source used meters per second when it should have been feet per second which gave a weird number. I would be shocked to find a hunter using a 5,000fps bullet. it would have to look bloated in the casing to get enough black powder to get the projectile to that speed. your rifle would be a cannon, for lack of better term.

Insomnia and energy transfer calculations somehow go together in my head.

I believe my problem is?...
(don't even try, Misha.)
In modern parlance/nomenclature, amongst the gun-toting population?
We meld 'Hyper-sonic', with 'Hyper-velocity'.
I'll give you/Misha (and others), this-
Semantics aside?
You hit something with a projectile traveling at hyper-SONIC velocities, and sufficient mass (projectile weight)?
You're going to cause severe damage.

God's, wasn't this OP about 'Terrorism'?

Why aren't we discussing box cutters, fertilizer/diesel bombs, and pressure cookers?

Tapper

Banned
Banned
Deer are successfully hunted with 5.56/.223, very few States allow it though.

Personally if you have to use that caliber, stick with heavier (65grain+) controlled expansion ammo designed for such purpose, and keep your shots under 150yrds.
Past 300 the 5.56/.223 is more or less a glorified 22mag/hornet once it gets there, it loses it's energy fast.

Personally anything bigger then a yote you should be looking at 6mm (.243 6.5 Creed) as your minimum.

Last edited:

Stag_In_Padding

Banned
Banned
Deer are successfully hunted with 5.56/.223, very few States allow it though.

Personally if you have to use that caliber, stick with heavier (65grain+) controlled expansion ammo designed for such purpose, and keep your shots under 150yrds.
Past 300 the 5.56/.223 is more or less a glorified 22mag/hornet once it gets there, it loses it's energy fast.

Personally anything bigger then a yote you should be looking at 6mm (.243 6.5 Creed) as your minimum.
Careful now. You're in danger of being threatened with punitive actions by one of this site's Mods, for typing such common sense!
I always chuckle and go right back to the comparison with bow hunting vs the 5.56 projectile. Native American People(s) were dropping Elk, Moose, Bear (hell, everything they went after), using simple bows with a draw weight of MAYBE 60 lbs.
I'll pit my 5.56 properly placed against a Stone/Flint-knapped Point, any day of the century.

AppleButt

Just bought myself a 9mm Sig Saur P938

D27CE07F-B54C-4701-8F55-280676E9715D.jpeg

I intend to use it for conceal carry purposes.

Ready to break it in when I get the time.

Revolver_Thotcelot

The E x p e r t
About to get my deceased grandpa’s old Winchester Model 54, chambered in .30-06.

He was the best guy I’ve ever known, and I’ll think of him each time I take it out to the range.

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
Just bought myself a 9mm Sig Saur P938

View attachment 70820

I intend to use it for conceal carry purposes.

Ready to break it in when I get the time.
I've got one myself. Lovely little pocket pistol. I have a feeling you'll be quite happy with your purchase.

Last edited:

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic

Izzy4895

Bad Fox
My most recent firearm purchase is a CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical:

91153-1-large.jpg

(Not my picture)

It’s definitely more ergonomic than any other handgun I have fired. It isn’t easy on the wallet, though, as it’s easy to fire hundreds of rounds through it in a single range session.

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
I thought this could use a bump

6gJQO2l.jpg

Just set up a Cadex R7 Sheepdog in 6.5 CM
Atlas BT10 bipod
Vortex Viper PST gen 2 5-25×50 FFP MOA scope

Last edited:

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
Aha, the thread lives! I may have to share some of my new acquisitions soon.

D

Deleted member 82554

Knick-knack the banned boy is back. Quick, use your second amendment on those who dare oppose your return!

aomagrat

Let me see...
I own...
Ruger P85 9mm
Ruger Mk II 22/45 .22LR
Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum
Ruger Speed Six .38 Special
Ruger Single Six .32 H&R Magnum
Ruger Super Blackhawk. 44 Magnum
Colt Commander 1911A1 .45ACP
Colt 1911A1 .38 Super
Smith & Wesson 1911A1 .45ACP
Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special
Remington Rand 1911A1 .45ACP
AMT Automag III .30 Carbine
Walther PPK .380ACP
Star Model A 9mm Largo
Glock 22 .40 S&W
Glock 32 .357 SIG
Winchester 94 30-30
Winchester 94 .44 Magnum
Winchester 94 .32 Special
Winchester 9422 .22 S, L & LR
Marlin 1895 45/70
Marlin 1894 .357 Magnum
Marlin 1892 .32RF
Marlin 25N .22LR
Marlin 62 .30 Carbine
Marlin 336 .35 Remington
Smith & Wesson MP15 5.56mm
PSA AR15 5.56mm
YHM AR15 7.62x39mm
Norinco AK-47 7.62x39mm
Springfield M1 Garand 30-06
Inland M1 Carbine .30 Carbine
Mossberg 500 12ga
Stevens SBS 12ga

And probable a few others I can't remember off the top of my head right now.

D

Deleted member 82554

You know what, y'all pussies have your guns. I'm coming at y'all with my Panzerkampfwagen!!!

As soon as I can get it started...

TemetNosce88

So long, good luck, goodbye.
I have a few. My favorite is my .308 Ruger Scout rifle. I also have a 9mm pistol and 5.56 rifle (not an AR type) that I can't get ammo for anymore but used to like shooting.

I didn't to with an AR platform because there's such a thing as too much choice in a market. It was like trying to build a PC- every single part had 30 different options for style or manufacturer and they all had conflicting reviews on quality, which made it seem like kind of a gamble no matter what I did. So I just went with a different pre-built rifle and avoided it entirely.