• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

AniwayasSong

That's really fucking expensive.
Most of what I'm finding now is going for $2.00/round. And that's for the usual calibers. If you're shopping for anything unusual?
I've never seen it this bad, and I go back to the late 80's, with CA's first 'Assault Weapons' bullshit.

AniwayasSong

So, finally got around to taking that "family photo" I mentioned a little while back and, well..... things have grown significantly since my first post in this thread, to put it ever so lightly XD

If anyone's got questions as to what any of the stuff here is, I'd be happy to answer them! Also, somewhat related.... if ANYONE can find me a stock and handguard set for a Greek 1903 Mannlicher/Shonauer carbine (an 03/14 built on a 1930 MS System receiver if we're gonna be specific, and NOT one of the commercial rifles) I will pay handsomely for it! Previous owner of mine, for some reason, bubba'd the stock of a 1903 long rifle to fit the carbine. Looks nice, but if you know what you're looking for, you can tell what's wrong.
I like you, and would be willing to have your puppies! (you obviously know how to protect your pack!)
;-P
(j/k, 'cause I can no longer haz puppies... Imma good snuggler though!)

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
Just bought a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creed. Can't wait to get it and furniture/optics, then reach out to 1,000 yards and more with ease.
:-D
Nice, you'll like the cartridge.
.308 still serves it's purpose, but the 6.5 does it better.

I can highly regard the Atlas BT10 for a bipod!Little pricey, but you'll like the pan feature, makes the Harris look like a meme in comparison.
What are you looking at for optics Btw?

Last edited:

Yakamaru

Sun woofer
I replaced it with something I'll actually keep.
Noice.

You're just an American in disguise. Less maple syrup and more guns please. xD

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
Too many damn projects on the go, this one's gonna be fun though.

Speaking of projects, you might remember that I'm a sucker for military AR clones, especially classic/retro ones with some historical significance, and one thing I always wanted was a clone of an M-16A2 like the troops carried in Desert Storm and Somalia.

Previously I had something about 90% close to this, using a complete 20" upper from Windham Weaponry with a detachable carry handle, but being the purist that I am, I was never totally satisfied with it just because of the detachable carry handle and flattop upper receiver. A real A2 has a fixed carry handle.

So I finally said screw it, decided to drop some coin, and get a bunch of correct parts together to build a proper A2 style upper and mate it with the lower I already had. With an A2 build, you have to put it together yourself if you want something that's as close as possible to the real deal, since no companies offer an off-the-shelf A2 style rifle that is 100% correct (I absolutely loathe the HBAR barrels they always seem to come with). I even used the period-correct peel washer instead of a crush washer for the flash hider, just for that extra bit of authenticity.

So now I finally have a proper A2 clone, with a fixed carry handle, like I've been wanting for years. Nothing flashy or tacticool, just a good, basic rifleman's rifle with the quintessential M-16 look and loaded with nostalgic flavor.

A2 clone.jpg

1991 Gulf War.jpg1991 Gulf War 2 .jpgBosnia.jpg

Last edited:

Ramjet

Speaking of projects, you might remember that I'm a sucker for military AR clones, especially classic/retro ones with some historical significance, and one thing I always wanted was a clone of an M-16A2 like the troops carried in Desert Storm and Somalia.

Previously I had something about 90% close to this, using a complete 20" upper from Windham Weaponry with a detachable carry handle, but being the purist that I am, I was never totally satisfied with it just because of the detachable carry handle and flattop upper receiver. A real A2 has a fixed carry handle.

So I finally said screw it, decided to drop some coin, and get a bunch of correct parts together to build a proper A2 style upper and mate it with the lower I already had. With an A2 build, you have to put it together yourself if you want something that's as close as possible to the real deal, since no companies offer an off-the-shelf A2 style rifle that is 100% correct (I absolutely loathe the HBAR barrels they always seem to come with). I even used the period-correct peel washer instead of a crush washer for the flash hider, just for that extra bit of authenticity.

So now I finally have a proper A2 clone, with a fixed carry handle, like I've been wanting for years. Nothing flashy or tacticool, just a good, basic rifleman's rifle with the quintessential M-16 look and loaded with nostalgic flavor.

View attachment 105662

View attachment 105672View attachment 105673View attachment 105702

Now that is just sexy!
1:12 twist?

AniwayasSong

Nice, you'll like the cartridge.
.308 still serves it's purpose, but the 6.5 does it better.

I can highly regard the Atlas BT10 for a bipod!Little pricey, but you'll like the pan feature, makes the Harris look like a meme in comparison.
What are you looking at for optics Btw?
Oh, I'm having a field day shopping/researching/talking to folks who know more'n me about such things! I've seen a few of the Atlas mounts, and I agree with you: they look damned fine and have some excellent features.
The only optic I use is a 'Vortex', and that is mounted to my Ruger MPR (for reaching out to 800 maybe 1,000 if I keep practicing!). The one I've got is their 'Strike Eagle' (5-25x56), and I luvluvluvluv it! I thought about buying another for the 'Precision', and I might just do that. Lots of folks at the range have optics, so as soon as the weather improves I'm going to be headed there to pester and learn more!
Thanks for the suggestion!

Ramjet

Oh, I'm having a field day shopping/researching/talking to folks who know more'n me about such things! I've seen a few of the Atlas mounts, and I agree with you: they look damned fine and have some excellent features.
The only optic I use is a 'Vortex', and that is mounted to my Ruger MPR (for reaching out to 800 maybe 1,000 if I keep practicing!). The one I've got is their 'Strike Eagle' (5-25x56), and I luvluvluvluv it! I thought about buying another for the 'Precision', and I might just do that. Lots of folks at the range have optics, so as soon as the weather improves I'm going to be headed there to pester and learn more!
Thanks for the suggestion!

Can't go wrong with Vortex!
I got the Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 on my 6.5, but the Strike Eagle is really nice though.I like the Eagle's locking turrets, beats having to worry about your zero if you so happen to bump your rifle in the field.Wish that feature was on the Viper.

Last edited:

Ramjet

No, the barrel is 1:7. The Vietnam era M-16 variants were the ones that had the 1:12 twist. 1:7 came about in the early '80s when NATO adopted the 62 grain SS109 round as their new standard rifle cartridge.

I can't believe the very first series was 1:14 lmao, what's that supposed to stabilize?A 20 grain sabot?xD

nerv

I used to have a 30'06 but the bolt broke. Now I just have a .22. I was trying to get back into clay pigeon shooting during the lockdowns but I live in CA and there was an ammo shortage when the riots hit... and when the weather was good enough to go shooting... I also used to reload ammo. It was pretty relaxing.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
I used to have a 30'06 but the bolt broke. Now I just have a .22. I was trying to get back into clay pigeon shooting during the lockdowns but I live in CA and there was an ammo shortage when the riots hit... and when the weather was good enough to go shooting... I also used to reload ammo. It was pretty relaxing.
I'm getting into reloading to get around both the ammo shortage and the stupid ammo background check hidden tax thing that CA introduced recently.

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
Banned
I got one of those fancy limbless crossboys recently.

It's okay but the gas-powered autofire arrow launcher thing i already got from Panau is still better.