• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

ben909

vaporeon character != mushroom characters
depends of the pellet size, but they are usually good from what i have heard

Kope

Artist?
Banned
Hmm I’m just wondering if there is any practical application to having a .410 shotgun revolver lol. Maybe with buckshot slugs I’d do some damage.

The_Happiest_Husky

Dealer of Black Market Headpats
Shotguns are good because you're generally going to only need one shot (vs a handgun where two shots is the reccommended), and buckshot doesn't have the risk of penetrating through multiple walls and possibly injuring an innocent

The_Happiest_Husky

Hmm I’m just wondering if there is any practical application to having a .410 shotgun revolver lol. Maybe with buckshot slugs I’d do some damage.
Oml I didn't even know those were a thing. Thank you for enlightening me, that looks so cool

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Shotguns are good because you're generally going to only need one shot (vs a handgun where two shots is the reccommended), and buckshot doesn't have the risk of penetrating through multiple walls and possibly injuring an innocent
Eh, handguns are better for home defense because of the better accuracy and precision you have; a shotgun is more of an outdoor weapon that you don't want to use in tight spaces or if people you're not aiming at are nearby. Ricochet is also concern too in close quarters like hallways.

If someone is unfamiliar with shotguns, they should stick to a handgun for their home defense needs.

Last edited:

The_Happiest_Husky

Eh, handguns are better for home defense because of the better accuracy and precision you have; a shotgun is more of an outdoor weapon that you don't want to use in tight spaces or if people you're not aiming at are nearby. Ricochet is also concern too in close quarters like hallways.

If someone is unfamiliar with shotguns, they should stick to a handgun for their home defense needs.
Fair point, thank you

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets

I have to disagree. Most people don't have large homes with large and expansive rooms or hallways where a pistol's accuracy over a shotgun would be impactful. Outdoor usage would depend on the model of the shotgun and type of ammunition, but I know I'd rather not have a shotgun at 20 meters over a pistol.

Some shotguns are also very compact and are arguably more practical in certain tight confinements as they are held at the shoulder compared to a pistol held at an arm's length. Personally speaking, I have long arms. Holding a compact tactical shotgun in a firing position is just a few centimetres shorter than the tip of my fingers in an outstretched hand. Therefore, a compact shotgun would have a shorter effective length than my extended arms holding a pistol of almost any length.

Furthermore, as Happiest Husky said one shell is often more than enough which cannot always be said of handguns. There is also something to be said of the potential intimidation factor of a shotgun, and the variety of less lethal ammunition types for shotguns to avoid unnecessarily killing an intruder, such as bean bag or rock salt shells. (Or more lethal, I guess).

The only real disadvantage for personal defence is the limitations of magazine size, but for the vast majority of situations even a single-barrelled break-action shotgun can be enough. Shells can be loaded directly into the chamber of many different models for second or shorter reloads.

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
The barrier penetration is similar with 00 buck out of a shotgun vs a .38/40/45 caliber bullet out a handgun (both are capable of going through many layers of interior drywall).So it'd come down to which ever someone is more comfortable with.
The shotgun would be easier for most new shooters to get on target, especially in a high stress scenario.

Last edited:

The_Happiest_Husky

Worth mentioning that there's no all for all best option. It comes down to, what are you the most comfortable with, what will you be able to use most effectively in a life or death situation.
For me, that will always be a 9mm handgun or something right around that. Glocks, especially. Why? Because I have hundreds of hours of training with one. The amount of time I have spent doing self defense training with a handgun is many times more than the average police officer

ben909

vaporeon character != mushroom characters
The barrier penetration is similar with 00 buck out of a shotgun vs a .38/40/45 caliber bullet out a handgun (both are capable of going through many layers of interior drywall).So it'd come down to which ever someone is more comfortable with.
The shotgun would be easier for most new shooters to get on target, especially in a high stress scenario.
also matters were you are shooting from, more pellets is a risk in a city setting, while its probably to your advantage in a rural house

... does anyone know if there are fragementing or 'non penetrating' shotgun pellets?

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
also matters were you are shooting from, more pellets is a risk in a city setting, while its probably to your advantage in a rural house

... does anyone know if there are fragementing or 'non penetrating' shotgun pellets?

You won't get much spread from a shotgun at defensive range within a home setting where distance is going to be anywhere from 0-10yrds.

The only way you're going to prevent barrier penetration of interior walls (and even exterior walls) is if you fancy taking your chances with birdshot.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I have to disagree. Most people don't have large homes with large and expansive rooms or hallways where a pistol's accuracy over a shotgun would be impactful. Outdoor usage would depend on the model of the shotgun and type of ammunition, but I know I'd rather not have a shotgun at 20 meters over a pistol.

Some shotguns are also very compact and are arguably more practical in certain tight confinements as they are held at the shoulder compared to a pistol held at an arm's length. Personally speaking, I have long arms. Holding a compact tactical shotgun in a firing position is just a few centimetres shorter than the tip of my fingers in an outstretched hand. Therefore, a compact shotgun would have a shorter effective length than my extended arms holding a pistol of almost any length.

Furthermore, as Happiest Husky said one shell is often more than enough which cannot always be said of handguns. There is also something to be said of the potential intimidation factor of a shotgun, and the variety of less lethal ammunition types for shotguns to avoid unnecessarily killing an intruder, such as bean bag or rock salt shells. (Or more lethal, I guess).

The only real disadvantage for personal defence is the limitations of magazine size, but for the vast majority of situations even a single-barrelled break-action shotgun can be enough. Shells can be loaded directly into the chamber of many different models for second or shorter reloads.
Since most people don't have large homes ... shotguns are less desirable because handguns allow for more maneuverability and compact spaces have a higher chance of ricocheting shotgun shot. Furthermore, if you're experienced with handguns, you shouldn't have to extended your arms fully in every situation when aiming and shooting, which overrules what you about shotgun having a shorter radius. Plus, a handgun allows you fire multiple rounds, if necessary, quicker, generally. You also noted the ammunition issue, which isn't a concern with handguns. If I'm at the point where I'm drawing down on someone in self-defense, I'm not looking to have to worry about reloading or fishing out shells to load.

But accuracy matters as well too, especially when you live with other people in the home who may be in close proximity to the person you're shooting at. If you're experienced with the handgun you own, which if you own it you should be since it's a weapon that can kill people, then you should be able to put someone down with one, maybe two, shots.

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
Since most people don't have large homes ... shotguns are less desirable because handguns allow for more maneuverability and compact spaces have a higher chance of ricocheting shotgun shot. Furthermore, if you're experienced with handguns, you shouldn't have to extended your arms fully in every situation when aiming and shooting, which overrules what you [said] about [shotguns] having a shorter radius. Plus, a handgun allows you fire multiple rounds, if necessary, quicker, generally. You also noted the ammunition issue, which isn't a concern with handguns. If I'm at the point where I'm drawing down on someone in self-defense, I'm not looking to have to worry about reloading or fishing out shells to load.

But accuracy matters as well too, especially when you live with other people in the home who may be in close proximity to the person you're shooting at. If you're experienced with the handgun you own, which if you own it you should be since it's a weapon that can kill people, then you should be able to put someone down with one, maybe two, shots.
A handgun must still be held outwards in front of the body to fire, even if one's arms aren't fully extended. The difference is not significant at best and the strongest firing stance will most often be with fully extended arms. This is also not a concern when firing from a defensive ambush position regardless. I've personally never had even a single pellet ricochet, they tend to stick into targets unless hitting solid steel.

I'm personally not amazingly experienced with shotguns but even I can cycle the pump very quickly while maintaining accuracy. I actually have a video of me doing exactly so shooting some clay pigeons! Regardless though, as stated "ideally" one shell will be enough anyway. Even a short-barrelled tactical shotgun isn't going to give a half-meter cone of pellets at the maximum length of a room unless it's loaded with birdshot.

Though once again as Happiest Husky said, the best option is going to be a personal choice. I only disagree with handguns being the defacto leader of home defence, as there are a number of legitimate legal options.

Kope

Artist?
Banned
Ok so how about a gun that shoots knives

Kope

Artist?
Banned
Should I get an H&K USP 9mm before they close the market for handguns up here for good?:confused:
HK make bomb proof guns right? Yeah I’d grab it if I had the money

Kope

Artist?
Banned
Sigh...I bought it...

Now I guess to see how long the transfer takes, huge backlog with everything going on.
Do show pics when it gets home UwU