• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Firefox becomes unstable when I use multiple tabs

Bittertooth

Firefox works fine until I start having several tabs open at once, and then it starts to freeze for a few seconds every 5 seconds. It usually happens once I get around 3 tabs open, but the freezing is more brief and subtle when I have just 2. Closing the tabs doesn't reverse the freezing issue, it just keeps doing that until I restart firefox.

What do I need to do to fix firefox so that I can use multiple tabs without problems? I uninstalled a bunch of add-ons I didn't need but that didn't make a difference. Once I updated firefox to 3.5.9 it got worse and started becoming unstable earlier on in the session.

Edit: the OS being used is Windows Vista.
Edit 2: It actually takes about an hour for the freezing to kick in.

Last edited:

Night_Fangs

Foxy Guy
Thats sounds like a very weird problem, I had something like that once but it fixed it simply by restarting firefox and clearing the cache. I keep anything from 40-60 tabs open at one time so I don't know why it would struggle with 3 unless you have a very old computer.

Bittertooth

Thats sounds like a very weird problem, I had something like that once but it fixed it simply by restarting firefox and clearing the cache. I keep anything from 40-60 tabs open at one time so I don't know why it would struggle with 3 unless you have a very old computer.
I have had the computer since August '09, so it's new.
To me, 40-60 tabs seems like a hell of a lot :eek:

Night_Fangs

Foxy Guy
Hmm, Well in that case all I can suggest is restarting the computer and clearing the cache, Failing that reinstall FireFox, But reinstalling does not all ways work and might cause some other problem.

Just counted my open tabs, 71 of em.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
40-60? Jesus, I find more then 6 destructing..

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Why?

Garreth

Banned
Banned
The last 2 updates for FF have been buggy lately. I've been seeing a lot more errors with flash player occurring over the past updates.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Start -> All Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

This starts Firefox with all extensions temporarily disabled. Try to make it crash in the same way then. If it still crashes, it's Firefox itself, but if it stops crashing, then it's one of the extensions or plug-ins you didn't uninstall that's causing it to crash.

SnowFox

Since it's vaguely on topic I'll take this opportunity to ask:

Is it just me or is firefox terrible for completely locking up while a tab is loading? It might be my imagination but it seems to be getting worse as newer versions come out. It doesn't matter if I have 2 tabs or 50 tabs, the whole program is completely unresponsive until all the tabs have completely finished loading. It's got to the point where I can't stand to use firefox to browse this forum anymore because it's just so slow and frustrating to do anything.

Bacu

Meh.
Yeah believe it or not I betrayed The Fox and got chrome instead. I'm glad I did, chrome is sooo much better....but it doesn't have fox in its' name v_v
This is actually a perceivedly legitimate reason to use FF.
I actually use FF anyway, I don't like chrome all that much.