• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

first all digital pic

Phoenixwildfire

Resident pervy rainbow unicorn
hmmm, this is my first all digital picture :)

Spirit_of_Summer__digital_by_PhoenixWildfire.jpg

It's my wolf, the 'spirit of summer'.

Critique?

Hackfox

502 Jump Squad
I like but personally (in my opinion you don't gotta go with lol) If you closed that bottom jaw or w/e where the mouth is open. He kinda looks like he is going "What?" If you closed his mouth that then he would look more serious as if he was gazing at somthing important but all in all VERY NICE! GW!

Phoenixwildfire

thanks :) his mouth is supposed to be closed- does the black 'lips' that wolves have make it look like his jaws are open? o_O

ExTo

Under the sea, near heat vents
It's true he does have kind of a "wut?" look, but otherwise this is very nice! The fur texture is very well done, and I like the nearly monochromatic coloring. A good job overall.

Ookami-girl

Those eyes and the colors are gorgeous! The anatomy is great as well. :D Better than anything I did when I first got photoshop. ^^;

As for crits...

The fur looks one dimensional. There's little to no shading. Also, at certain points like the ears, it looks a little too fuzzy. I can kind of understand about the lower jaw. Add in some lighting (some dark and light grays and a touch of white) so you can tell it's the lip and not that his mouth is open. Leaving something purely black isn't a great idea. But you did an amazing job with shading the nose. Also, the muzzle fur looks a bit long. I'd suggest looking at the way fur flows on a wolf's face. Muzzle fur should be the shortest. And lastly since I'm not familiar with your character I don't know if this was intentional but one eye has white while the other looks like a wolf's eye. It makes the face look a bit uneven. However, if that is a feature of the character, then I'm sorry.

I hope that helps. If you need me to clarify anything just ask. :D

Phoenixwildfire

thanks everyone! I'll keep all that in mind with the spirit of fall :D

wonderful help! ^_^

just as a reference, this is my usual traditional style:

The_Spirit_of_Spring_by_PhoenixWildfire.jpg

(The spirit of spring)

though done a VERY long time ago. lol

Colors are very nice Phoenix. Nose and eyes are well done.

I think the thing with the lip is perhaps the shape. Looking at your traditional picture, the lip was smaller and you brought the black all the way back to follow the mouth.

ExTo

Under the sea, near heat vents
Ooooh, you're skilled with those pencils. You sure are capable to draw wolves - sooner or later that capability will "migrate" over to digital art as well.

Phoenixwildfire

thanks all :) I mostly stick with traditional art still, but I'm experimenting with digital (because that's all everyone wants in commissions now T_T)

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Well, I wouldn't say the spirit of the summer. Summer usually consists on the sun hitting bright things like the sand and beach towels. It looks more of a fall theme, because of the orange and yellow.

Phoenixwildfire

Well, I wouldn't say the spirit of the summer. Summer usually consists on the sun hitting bright things like the sand and beach towels. It looks more of a fall theme, because of the orange and yellow.

ah, fall over here is very brown :) the spirit of autumn is brown, yellow and a tad of red

DeadDog

You can migrate to digital media much faster if you run screaming away from the blend tool. It's not helping. The eyes look sharp and nice, but the rest of the image is a seizure of the smudge tool. It's okay since it's your first digital image... but I would avoid it in the future. I have NEVER seen those kind of effects pulled off nicely and I have only rarely seen the burn and dodge tool used well. I would avoid those crutches until you're more fluent with the medium.

The anatomy is okay, minus the issues already mentioned, but it does look very much... like fall. It might look more summer-y if you used more summer like colors. Brighter things. Maybe a daytime image...?

Judging from your traditional piece, I would offer this one other suggestion: Don't shade using black. The 'color' black is not your friend. I would avoid it. For your orange wold friend, I would suggest shading with some blue. Would make it pop more. Not a serious electric blue... but something more subtle. Set the layer options to multiply and layer the color over the orange.

Of course, all of these are just suggestions. n_n