• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

First female drawing

Rock E.Horror

Loves Cruis'n USA music
I've been drawing several female drawings on my sketchbook, they dont look good, maybe because i am not good with female anatomy.
Here's one pic of her.
16951058@400-1435453237.jpg

She is some kind of Fox, a Russian fox, with a curled tail.
I need to improve her limbs, her hips, and her breasts.

Thats all, Bye!

The first time any of us drew a female figure, it wasn't going to be good as the 1000th time we did. No one's good at it in the beginning. Keep going!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record — DRAW FROM LIFE. Ask someone to pose for you for 20 minutes a day so you can do quick gesture sketches. That's really the only way to improve your anatomy and get better.

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
-That being said, graph paper is a GREAT medium for sketching. it helps to keep things symmetrical until you get the hang of drawing free hand. Take note of some bubble form figure drawings and draw up some anatomy figures to start with. Get the basic shapes down before you even think about adding details or clothes.

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
Sure, feel free to disagree but i think "crutches" are fine if you're just starting out. Sticking with the analogy, babies need something to hold onto before they're up and walking around. Rock E. here is clearly still in the crawling stages (no offense intended) so a little support might be needed. i used graph paper when i started getting more serious about body proportions because it helped me to get proper sizes and measurements right. The guides and lines helped me to connect pieces together into coherent shapes. Trying to draw symmetrical eyes and faces was always a bitch until i started using graph paper to check my work. Lots of artists draw those kinds of guides themselves but i found it difficult to even get those straight and even! Used in moderation, i think graph (or even just lined) paper is a good resource for getting a feel for straightened proportions and sizes.

On second thought, i still can't draw a symmetrical shape to save my life so...
OH GOD! i BROKE MY BRAiN!

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
If you attend a life drawing class, almost all models are women, so that would be a good way to learn.

Your drawings need to be much bigger. Think about drawing on an A1 scale, rather than A5, because this kind of scale is less fiddly and more manageable. You also can't avoid showing other people your work, when it's that large, which means you will draw their valuable criticism.

I disagree with other users that graph paper is a useful sketching medium. I think that it's robotic and that it flattens images. Perhaps some other user will review my drawings and say that all my proportions are wrong, but I find that proportions just happen if you draw from life and keep checking your drawing corresponds to the subject. Grids, rulers, parallax measurements, and so forth, they're all elabourate distractions from what you should be paying attention to; the subject.